Announcement regarding the future of the Dead by Daylight Forums:
https://forums.bhvr.com/dead-by-daylight/discussion/472588/future-of-dead-by-daylight-forums

Will the forums be archived or deleted?

PaulieEsther
PaulieEsther Member Posts: 77
edited September 23 in General Discussions

With the announcement of the closure of the forums, I'm wondering what will happen to all the posts here?

Old stats articles, legacy tributes to valued members who died of cancer, etc...

In my opinion this is part of our history.

Will this all be cast to the wind, or is there a plan to archive everything here and just leave it all as read only?

Answers

  • This content has been removed.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Royval
    Royval Member Posts: 1,509

    years and years of threads gone I always wonder what happened to @fussy never knew the account got banned. I loved reading their threads about reworks and artist.

  • tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 2,042
    edited September 24

    It's not the hosting of the forums but the community managers to run it that is the cost of this place. Hosting the forums probably costs them peanuts. I think the move to these big tech platforms probably has a lot to do with the future because these platforms will be almost completely auto-moderated by AI in the not very distant future and they won't need to hire as many mods or community managers.

    The forums barely function as they are, so they're never going to get "upgraded" with big tech AI moderation. You need real people to run this place. But who needs people when big tech has decided the future of the web belongs to the machines?

    I remember them putting out a request for mods to join up not that long ago. I'd offer to volunteer if I felt it might save this place, even though I don't have a spotless record and I know I'd really hate being one. There was one forum member who put in an application to be a mod and they promptly got banned for something shortly afterwards. 🤣

    I recently chose not to spent another penny on this game as well. Even before all this, so many of the recent changes stopped me wanting to play and there's also the worry that I won't even be able to pretty soon with the upcoming graphical update. I don't feel like supporting BHVR at the moment.

    As for the forums not being archived, I think that's a huge loss to the community. And if I do happen to join up to one of their future official community platforms, I won't be posting nearly as much as I have done in the past, knowing how little our contributions on the forum mean to BHVR.

  • Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 4,696
    edited September 24

    I get what you mean entirely, but I don't agree with their reasoning if that were the case. Think about it like this:

    You buy a fishing rod, and it will have minor upkeep between bait/lures/line/hooks/etc. In return, the amount of return on investment you get is incomparible by comparison. It may require things like patience or commitment, but the theoretical return on investment is near limitless. Your material cost is a distant second to the pool of opportunity you have opened yourself up to.

    This platform has been invaluable to them over the years in a variety of ways. The posters weren't paid for their insights, the theory crafters and design contributiors providing a vast pool of invaluable information that augmented concepts like playtesting without needing to spend a dime, hell, with people literally paying to do it. Nobody provided these things expecting any form of compensation, they were not on any payroll, they were simply fish in the sea. All they wanted was a hook with the bait of a better game on the line, and they gladly provided value in response.

    For every penny saved by cutting out what is required to run a platform like this forum, the amount of free amateur labor in many facets, both creative and technical, created a massive RoI that is now lost. That return diminished because of how things have been handled, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who considered grace to the ground level following the demands of those higher up and more detatched. At this point, even making an announcement like this is a clear sign that it's essentially irreversable: Every decision in this vein has done nothing but scare away more and more fish, reducing the potential gain of the investment.

    If they wanted to roll something like this back, it would cost more than whatever they hope to gain by cutting such a cost. They've already told the community we're not wanted for any more than statistics to present to shareholders.

  • tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 2,042
    edited September 24

    Totally agree. I can't say it any better than that, especially the part about the free labour.

    I know the common criticism is that BHVR don't listen to us here but that just isn't true (obviously, they don't listen to everything we say, but they do listen more than they are often given credit for). In the relatively short time that I've been playing, I've seen many of the suggestions people have made here in this very forum put into the game to make it better for everyone.

    This is also the only place that a regular, everyday DBD player without a platform can have a shot at actually being heard by the developers. I get the drive to "modernise", but the signal to noise ratio on all their other community platforms is not good. This is such a short-sighted move from them.

    I guess the expansion of the content creator program is also another way they're looking at to reach out to the opinions of the wider community, but that's still going to be feedback filtered through one single person. There isn't anything that can replace a dedicated forum like this. Forums have been such a treasure trove of information in my life. Away from here, I've often found posts from 10-15 years ago that have helped me solve problems and repair things and none of that information has been behind a login wall. I know I'll sound dramatic saying so but this act is like setting fire to a library to me.

  • Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 4,696

    Agreed on all counts, especially regarding accessing previous information outside of something encyclopedic in nature, but this comment is particularly poignant:

    I know I'll sound dramatic saying so but this act is like setting fire to a library to me.

    Last I read, the copyright stipulation for AI scraping literature is that the original work must be destroyed, which has led to aquisition and destruction to facilitate it. When you think about this decision while keeping that in mind, it feels particularly grim.

  • HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 3,138

    I've noticed that trend to and it really worries/upsets me. Companies just want to farm as much labour as they can out to AI to save money and recruiting effort. But it comes at the cost of quality and drinking water as well as removing jobs from the industries involved and means there's no point in people building any of the skills for tasks that companies will use AI for.

  • 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 4,219

    I can't help but feel the decision to shut down is merely the decision of a bean counter who had the great idea of "why post things twice when you can do it once?"

  • GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,997

    remember to check out https://fog-dwellers.com/ if youre super cool and also sad about this news btw

  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 10,766

    Answer in the first post.

  • Rickprado
    Rickprado Member Posts: 1,206

    Archiving the forums would be the best thing. There is so much discussion here that is hardly find anywhere on the dbd community.

    If someone find a way to download their post, give me a hello. I would like to save my topics and discussions.

  • T1MEXII
    T1MEXII Member Posts: 148

    I have to copy and paste all of my perk ideas before they are forgotten.

  • dyeoxy
    dyeoxy Member Posts: 11

    It's actually amazing the forums have been kept alive for as long as they have been, forums in general have been a forgotten medium since before DBD was even a game

    Ironically I never ever check here, but I would be sad to see ti completely gone, would be nice if it was archived to read only, but I can understand why it would just disappear.