Who do you consider to be The Main Character

Detective_Jonathan
Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

Aside from saying your main, who do you think is the main character of this game, and don't say "The Survivors dude," i won't accept that, what i want to know is which survivor do you think is the main protagonist of this game, we already know our main Villain is The Entity along with The Killers, but who would be the main protagonist?

For me it would have to be Dwight, simply because he feels like that outcast in a certain movie that no one wants to be around, but then will ultimately step up and save the day.

Comments

• TheGameZpro3
    TheGameZpro3 Member Posts: 699
    edited February 2019

@Orion said:
    I always thought of the Entity as the true main character. It's Her world, Her story, Her development. That's what DbD is really all about; the Entity's growth as a character and as a being.

@Detective_Jonathan said:

@Orion said:
    I always thought of the Entity as the true main character. It's Her world, Her story, Her development. That's what DbD is really all about; the Entity's growth as a character and as a being.

Interesting, a character we know nothing about is the main character. All that we know about her is that she goes through a cleansing period with the blight and all.

I'm sorry, when was it confirmed the entity was a girl? I really want to know (plz source)

• A_Crow
    A_Crow Member Posts: 193

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

Interesting, a character we know nothing about is the main character. All that we know about her is that she goes through a cleansing period with the blight and all.

I'm sorry, when was it confirmed the entity was a girl? I really want to know (plz source)

I don't think it was. Benedict Baker says "it".

This thing, that I dubbed The Entity, is evil in its purest form. I find it hard to spot, but I can hear the cracking sound this loathsome thing emanates. Like a deity, it surrounds the area, closing in on me as its killers hunt me. It does not seem to be dangerous in itself. Not until you are caught and the killer hangs you from one of the abhorrent hooks. I have ended up there over and over and every time I yearn for both release as well as escape. Pain melts with fear in a most horrid way. Yet I return to it, more or less every night. Once on the hook, the Entity takes over, pulling one upwards to something else.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 2,004

Meg.

Dwight's a wannabe leader and both in-game and out is lovable, but also a joke. Meg's the real fighter of the group.

• Detective_Jonathan

@TheGameZpro3 said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

It's not really confirmed but it is potentially of a female gender.

• TheGameZpro3

@TheGameZpro3 said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

k, thx.

but to be fair it's a completely different being than what us, WHO-MANS, are, that we can't even comprehend. It does feel emotions but not ones that us humans have. for all we know it has no gender.

But at least I can see why some think it's a girl, thanks. but I still think it's a gender less being.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Duh

Benedict Baker is the main character. He's the one who is doing research and he is the one who has any character development

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237
    I think the original 4 characters are all the nain characters, although dwight feels like that viewer/player-surrogate who needs everything explained to becuse the viewer/player needs that exposition.
  • VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,216

Like PigNRun said, each one is the main protagonist of their chapter. But if we discount those, I would have to say Dwight. He's a coward, but the others still follow him as a leader.

• Ember_Hunter
    Ember_Hunter Member Posts: 1,693

I do agree that all the characters are the main protagonists by themselves, but the most main character-like has to be Laurie or Dwight. Most minor feels like Jeff and Quentin.

• Biatran
    Biatran Member Posts: 8

@TheGameZpro3 said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

xD no if a french word finish by ''-té'' that doesn't mean it's a female chara but in french we use -l'- so it means that we don't know its gender.
    From a french guy

• Detective_Jonathan

@Biatran said:

@TheGameZpro3 said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

xD no if a french word finish by ''-té'' that doesn't mean it's a female chara but in french we use -l'- so it means that we don't know its gender.
    From a french guy

Tell that to the guy who made the wiki, I'm going off of what the wiki says.

• Biatran
    Biatran Member Posts: 8

@Biatran said:

@TheGameZpro3 said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

From a french guy

In french we use -le- for male and -la- for female but when a word start with a vowel we use -l'-. In that case we don't know if it's a female or a male. The Entity (Entité in french) starts with a vowel so we use -l'- to designate it so in french it's genderless.

• Ember_Hunter

@Biatran said:

@Biatran said:

@TheGameZpro3 said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

From a french guy

In french we use -le- for male and -la- for female but when a word start with a vowel we use -l'-. In that case we don't know if it's a female or a male. The Entity (Entité in french) starts with a vowel so we use -l'- to designate it so in french it's genderless.

to be honest, the entity being female does seem more interesting than male...
    Genderless makes the most sense though.
    If the Entity is slowly learning about the real world, I wonder what more things could it bring into It's realm...

• Detective_Jonathan
    edited February 2019

@Biatran said:

@Biatran said:

@TheGameZpro3 said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

From a french guy

I'm not hear to discuss gender with you, make another thread about it if you feel the need to. :)

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

@Ember_Hunter said:

@Biatran said:

@Biatran said:

@TheGameZpro3 said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

From a french guy

to be honest, the entity being female does seem more interesting than male...
    Genderless makes the most sense though.
    If the Entity is slowly learning about the real world, I wonder what more things could it bring into It's realm...

And what is the French word for "Entity"? Is it male or female?

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    edited February 2019

@Biatran said:

@Biatran said:

@TheGameZpro3 said:

@Orion said:

@Orion said:

From a french guy

From personal experience, and I don't mean too much offence, many speakers of a language they consider their mother tongue have poor grammar skills or at the very least inferior ones to someone who was taught the language in school and didn't grow up with it. It's a common phenomenon amongst all languages.

I study English and French linguistics. In French the pronoun does not define the grammatical gender, it merely adapts to the grammatical gender that is defined by the noun.

'raison' is defined as a feminine noun, hence why you say 'la raison'.

'pommier' is defined as a masculine noun, hence why you say 'le pommier'.

Your assumption that the direct object pronouns 'le, la, l' define the gender is wrong, French nouns are inherently assigned a grammatical gender.

Now, since French prefers fluid speech and tries to avoid re-articulation if possible (which would happen with pronouncing 2 vowels after one another), in cases of a noun beginning with a vowel, the shortened 'l with an apostrophe' is used. You again made another wrong assumption: l' is NOT genderless, it's actually a unisex pronoun and can be used for either grammatical gender as its sole function is to omit a double vowel pronunciation.

There is NO neuter gender in French. All nouns are EITHER masculine or feminine.

And finally: French possesses numerous suffixes that are typical to a grammatical gender, meaning that the vast majority of nouns having them (about 90% or more), are of that gender. Let me give you a couple of examples

Typical masculine suffixes: -eau, -ais, -ait, -er, -age, -ege, -ème, -isme, -aume and many more

Typical feminine suffixes: -aie, -asse, -enne, -ande, -onne, -ise and many more

The suffix -té is a typical feminine suffix, like in la clarté, la pureté, la salubrité, la virginité.

You see, a lot of 'la'. The same goes for 'entité'. It's an inherently feminine noun and the sole reason it goes with 'l w/ apostrophe' is to omit saying 'la entité' as the double vowel forces a re-articulation between the two words, something French doesn't want (expect for nouns starting with 'h aspiré' for some weird reason).

Still doubt my French skills and in turn my Wiki article (yes, I wrote that one)?

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

Apologies to @Detective_Jonathan for going a bit off topic with that long explanation, but I dislike people claiming stuff that isn't true.

• Detective_Jonathan

@DocOctober said:
    Apologies to @Detective_Jonathan for going a bit off topic with that long explanation, but I dislike people claiming stuff that isn't true.

No you're fine, i always referred to your wiki whenever someone had a question about The Entities gender or the games lore, it's a shame though that someone who speaks the native tongue don't even know how things work especially in their own language.

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    I think Meg could be the main character, some say Dwight but I'm pretty sure Megan was the first survivor developed so that's why I think it. Plus by her perks and backstory would make sense for it
  • Ember_Hunter

@PhantomMask20763 said:
    I think Meg could be the main character, some say Dwight but I'm pretty sure Megan was the first survivor developed so that's why I think it. Plus by her perks and backstory would make sense for it

Yeah, her backstory sounds more horror-movie induced, and between Meg and Dwight, I prefer her by a large margin. :D

• Mr_Myers
    Mr_Myers Member Posts: 422
    I think the Trapper since he's seen it all, also he IS the posterboy of the game

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

My main is Mr. Bing Bong.

I don't think there is a protagonist in this game since there isn't a specific story but only Lore. I think that everyone has their own "Protagonist", when you play a match you are telling a story about the character you are playing as.
    You could say that Benedict Baker could be the protagonist but I think he's just the narrator.
    In the end if there is no story there can't be a protagonist.
    I really hope BHVR will make a single player game based on DBD's lore, it would be interesting

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Tapp because despite being licenced, he can stop it all. Although in the parody we saw that he joined forces with the Huntress.

• Ember_Hunter

@Poweas said:
    Tapp because despite being licenced, he can stop it all. Although in the parody we saw that he joined forces with the Huntress.

XD True, but that would be a side character story in a horror movie full of awesome Samation's parodies.

• Detective_Jonathan
    edited February 2019

@Poweas said:

Tapp X Huntress Confirmed

In all seriousness, i don't think Tapp would be able to stop The Entity, i know i tend to have that mindset that he COULD be able to do it, i just don't think he would be able to considering how he has gotten himself in a situation even bigger than Jigsaw.

• Saint_Ukraine
    Saint_Ukraine Member Posts: 942

Aside from saying your main, who do you think is the main character of this game, and don't say "The Survivors dude," i won't accept that, what i want to know is which survivor do you think is the main protagonist of this game, we already know our main Villain is The Entity along with The Killers, but who would be the main protagonist?

For me it would have to be Dwight, simply because he feels like that outcast in a certain movie that no one wants to be around, but then will ultimately step up and save the day.

Dwight is the main survivor, and the Trapper is the main killer.
    I just say that because they are the tutorial characters, and they are focused on most in the opening cinematic of the game.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

The Entity is, because it controls the realm

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143

I would love to see them license an actual movie for the next original chapter and release it with the ptb

• tafner
    tafner Member Posts: 52

The word "Entity"is female in Portuguese and Spanish as well(and probably all the romance languages).

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456
    edited May 2019

@Biatran you do know we refers to entities as female then ?

At least that's how I got teached where I live, never seen any french people refering to entities as neutral or male, but female.

Eitherway for everyone asking how we call entities in French, it's almost the same word, entité.

We also says " Une entité" Hence why alot of french people directly assume it's female, that's just how speak, we aren't really trying to offend a anyone ( and honestly it's only the entities business to care or not about her own gender).

As for op original question, I stand with Orion, the main character would be the entity and then killers / survivors during their chapters.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    edited May 2019

Honestly it's kind of hard to define who was fits the main character if you're only looking at the character archetype. As each character seems to fit within two archetypes.

The base archetype of the character and the archetype they fit into when interacting in The Entity Realms.

Take for example Min her base archetype is the focus competitor.

"One day she woke up somewhere completely different… in a never-ending nightmare. Feng Min did not despair – as she learned more about the challenge she was up against, she realized this was what she had been training for her entire life. Now, she was going to win."

However from Benedicts journal and how she interacts in lore her archetype in the entity's realm is the lone wolf.

"A young woman surprised me the other day. She is another guest in this nightmare I can not seem to wake up from. She came running, passed by a wounded girl and didn’t stop. Just a glance behind her, and she was off again. With a determined look on her face, like she had something important to do. A lone wolf maybe? I am not sure what I should call this new person."

• drunky26
    drunky26 Member Posts: 686

Dwight, duh.

• Ember_Hunter

Wait, do you have a link to all of Benedict's reaction to these survivors? :D

• pushkina
    pushkina Member Posts: 130

No one says anything when people use him without knowing the sex.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

It's more like an anthology series. Each chapter is like a different episode with different characters. Protagonist I guess depends on whether you see the game more from the killer side or the survivor, though the killers often have the better backstories.

The entity is the overarching antagonist.

• TheGameZpro3
    edited June 2019

Why does this thread keep on getting Necroed?

Only like twice, but still random.

• anarchy753

Probably because the lore section is dead and this was only on page 2. Who cares it's a discussion?

• Ember_Hunter

True, lore is not as discussed as often as bugs everyone is screaming about right now.

• anarchy753

There's only a finite amount to discuss, at least until the archives come. It's not like the relevance of this thread changes the same way a discussion about balance does where perks being discussed may have been changed several times since then.

• yes
    yes Member Posts: 361
    edited June 2019

Kate. Kate. And Kate.

Sorry, I'm obsessed with her. I personally think she is as she originally was supposed to be released with LF. The game takes a lot of inspiration from TCM, so I thought she could've been the main protagonist based on the inspiration.

I sound crazy lol

• NekoGamerX
    NekoGamerX Member Posts: 5,277

either the Entity or the trapper he the poster boy for this game.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Each character is unique and has a different backstory and chapter for themselves. I’ll be excited when we get to play the archives and have even more added to the lore of each character.

That being said the default or “main” character is easily Trapper and Dwight. I guess if I had to pick a main female character for survivor and killer it would be Meg and Huntress. Huntress is very popular especially for people who cosplay.