If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Buffs for Freddy

Options
ShrimpTwiggs
ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181

It's no secret that Freddy has been abused for a while now, and it's kind of disappointing that he's been left like this for so long. I think there are a couple small changes that, though he wouldn't be perfect, would make him a little better. One would be that survivors can't see him at all until they're completely asleep. This would open some doors for more mind games with Freddy. Another thing would be that certain actions would be canceled while the survivor is in the dream transition such as repairing generators or healing other survivors. I think failing a self care skillcheck shouldn't wake a survivor up. One perk countering the whole ability if a killer is ridiculous. And if failing any skillcheck waking a survivor up is kept, at least make the consequences much worse if you fail a skillcheck in the dream state. The last idea I have is that his vision in the dream world is default while the survivor's vision is impaired like it normally is in the dream state. I know that not all these ideas are perfect but I thought I may as well throw them in the hat.

Comments

• Heartbound
    Heartbound Member Posts: 3,255
    Options

Eh my group just got 4ked by Freddy at Rank 10, he's fine.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    Options

@Heartbound said:

I respectfully disagree. If we're going to use personal experience, then I could just throw in game after game where I escaped Freddy, as well as most of the other survivors. He's so easy to beat, it's ridiculous.

• darreCZ
    darreCZ Member Posts: 5
    Options

@ShrimpTwiggs said:

@Heartbound said:

I respectfully disagree. If we're going to use personal experience, then I could just throw in game after game where I escaped Freddy, as well as most of the other survivors. He's so easy to beat, it's ridiculous.

I must disagree as well - had about 5 games against Freddy at level cca 11-12 in last few days, he got 4k 4 times, only once one of us escaped, so I think he´s fine.

• GhostEuant
    GhostEuant Member Posts: 243
    Options
    Just allow him to grab people off of unhooking someone or while jumping in the hatch while they are in the dream transition. Boom
  • ShrimpTwiggs
    Options

@GhostEuant said:
    Just allow him to grab people off of unhooking someone or while jumping in the hatch while they are in the dream transition. Boom

That still wouldn't fix how easy he is to loop and how easy it is to escape the dream transition.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    Options

@darreCZ said:

@ShrimpTwiggs said:

@Heartbound said:

I must disagree as well - had about 5 games against Freddy at level cca 11-12 in last few days, he got 4k 4 times, only once one of us escaped, so I think he´s fine.

I still don't think he's in a good spot. Every time I play against him, he gets crushed. Self care counters his whole ability which he needs to actually hurt survivors. His ability is literally a necessity to make him function like a normal killer. Even if he manages to sneak up on you, he still has to put you to sleep so you have all the time in the world to find a pallet. Not to mention that he suffers from the same problems that hurt the lower tier killers such as looping and gen rushing. Sure, he has stealth but what's the point if you can just take off when you're in the dream transition? In a game where time is against the killer, Freddy suffers more then any other. His ability is a complete necessity, he falls victim to the same major problems, his stealth barely matters, his whole strength is completely countered by one perk. Not to mention that I've seen quite a few videos going in depth about how easy it is to exploit his weaknesses. Once you know how to beat Freddy, he's pathetic.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    Options

Freddy definitely requires a buff.
    Devs were talking about making something along these lines (NO PROMISES) :
    Reduce his dream transition to 4 seconds (from 7), and change the cube add-ons accordingly.
    Make self-care skillcheck fails not to wake people.
    And eventually make some interactions impossible while falling asleep (aka healing)

Hard to tell what's gonna go live or not tho.
    Next killers to get buffs are Trapper and Hag, since devs are working on these atm.
    We'll see what they can do at the next PTB.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,061
    Options
    Runiver said:

Reduce his dream transition to 4 seconds (from 7), and change the cube add-ons accordingly.
    And eventually make some interactions impossible while falling asleep (aka healing)

Next killers to get buffs are Trapper and Hag, since devs are working on these atm.

Those sound like pretty good changes to me so we can hope. They need to make a lot of killers less addon dependent and bake more of them into their base kits. 
  • ShrimpTwiggs
    Options

@Runiver said:

Those seem like pretty solid ideas but he might still be looped to eternity.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    Options

@ShrimpTwiggs said:

@Runiver said:

Those seem like pretty solid ideas but he might still be looped to eternity.

Indeed, I would prefer my own rework about him, but it's not coming into play anyway since it would change him quite a bit :
    Make him visible at all times.
    Make him able to hit awake survivors.
    He would still be able to put survivors to sleep
    24 meter terror radius.
    Heartbeat sounds when not asleep.
    Lullaby when asleep, non directional, without sound increase if he's close to make it harder to read.
    Make Freddy to "Blink" and disappear sporadically from the survivor's prospective when in dream mode, especially if the survivor stays asleep for an extended period of time.
    Remove his Aura reading ability out of heartbeat.

• Yohthao
    Yohthao Member Posts: 9
    Options

I think it's important to know that every game is always different. Perks and knowledge of gameplay for both survivor and killers heavily impact who wins or loses.

Though there are people who say that Freddy is fine and is not in need of a buff, he can be countered more than most of the other killers.

As survivors:
    1. Perks like: We'll All Make It, Borrowed Time, Unbreakable, Decisive strike and self-care are among one of the strongest perks against Freddy (and practically against killers in almost-every scenario.)
    2. Items like the med-kit work effectively against Freddy because it's like self-care and can wake someone out of Freddy's dream world (without the aid of another survivor) or decrease the time it takes to heal someone fully on average.

Hypothetically, if we compared level 1 Freddy to all level 1 survivors (no perks, no-add ons, no offerings on both side) it becomes a mind-game (strategy). If both sides were 'skilled,' (i.e: Using the Red Light to Freddys advantage or Survivors pallet looping/Fake vaulting) then Freddy would have more trouble because of how his powers work in-comparison to other killers. You have killers like the Hag, the Doctor, the Huntress, etc... who can instantly engage in chases because there isn't a need to wait the 7 second duration like Freddy. Though as a survivor you can't visually see Freddy until his power starts to activate, you can deduce from observation that Freddy reveals himself by the environment and the glimpses during the Dream Transition (not to mention the little girl humming as the terror radius.)

On top of that, Freddy 'camps' hooked survivors differently, and it's NOT at all the same as other killers. Like previously mentioned, Freddy can't instantly engage in chases because of the Dream Transition. Time is of the essence, and Freddy's attempt to slow survivors is tremendously slower than all the other killers; ironically despite his powers slowing survivors action progress.

Buffing Freddy is a difficult task though, I would assume, because it's incredibly difficult when it comes to addressing the potential consequences of buffing. Freddy's design is unique to his character, and the way I propose that the developers could buff Freddy is to change certain conditions of Freddy's power.

1. Do not allow for healthy survivors to be able to wake up from failing all actions. Only when survivors are injured can they wake up from failing any actions. (An example of a flaw in Freddy's power is when a survivor is in the Dream Transition but fails to land the skill check on a generator resulting in them instantly being pulled out of the Dream World.)
    2. Instead of pulling survivors out of the Dream World when failing to land a skill check, the skill check for any actions should instead visually represent how the skill check for how the [Overcharge] ability looks.
      a. To elaborate more on this, all actions while in the Dream World should instead be replaced like the [Overcharge] perk which would in theory replace the deliberateness in trying to fail any skill checks and instead require survivors to try and successfully land a skill check in order to wake up.

But yeah, that's my opinion on why I think Freddy needs more buffing.