Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Taunting: Is it Toxic?

Saint_Ukraine
Saint_Ukraine Member Posts: 942
edited February 2019 in General Discussions

Now, this has nothing to do with players complaining about balance or anything like that; it has to do more with players personally. I notice that a lot of killers complain heavily about tea-bagging/taunting survivors being toxic, and the like, and in turn choose to make the game unplayable for any one survivor, typically via hook camping. I recently saw a post where players (mostly killers) discussed what kind of things they do when they get petty.
You can view the discussion thread here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/48987/confession-time-describe-your-maximum-pettiness/p1

Of the comments posted, one read as such:

@Boss said:
Geez. Uhmm...
Nodding, i guess?
Like, i never even considered it to be a bad thing, but then Crusader said it wasn't friendly.
So yeah, nodding i guess.
Other times i get complaints, it's just them being salty. (That's if i have my chat open.)

It was then replied to thus:

@yobuddd said:

Nodding?!?! My goodness you have GOT to be the most toxic player I’ve ever met! Petty doesn’t even BEGIN to describe this one!

Nodding. Sheesh. Some people..... how do you live with yourself?

(Jk ;) )

Now, I thought about this, and decided to compare it to survivors who taunt. It seems that it has been agreed by the majority of killers of the community that if a survivor taunts, they're definitely toxic and they deserve to be punished (typically via getting face camped). "How dare that person push a button repeatedly?" And so I wondered what the deal was. What makes the taunting done by a survivor toxic as opposed to a killer's taunting? And as you can imagine, I came to the conclusion that perhaps some people are a bit too soft for competitive gaming. I don't mean to generalize or target killers in this matter, but it just seems that they complain the most when it comes to the subject of taunting and toxicity. Let me know what you guys think about all of this.

Post edited by Saint_Ukraine on

Comments

• Rex_Huin
    Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208

Yikes!

Why delay the inevitable - just close this thread now....

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

You know Survivor or Killer there's no Hivemind? the amount of generalization on these forums is outstanding.

Taunting on both sides is considered toxic.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

Both sides have "crybabies", nothing new there, I want or I dont like is I want or I dont like no matter what side you play.

@MandyTalk @Peanits I dont think this thread will ever be a very civil discussion.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I'm famous!

• Saint_Ukraine
    edited February 2019

@Lonefox64 said:

Here you go dude i think this will help you more than any comment to your bait thread.

lol

• Eveline
    Eveline Member Posts: 2,340
    Naming and shaming is not allowed.
  • Chaotic_Riddle
    Chaotic_Riddle Member Posts: 1,953
    Yes, kind of? Not all Killers are; I mentioned it before in a previous post, I believe it was relating to who complains the most on the forums, but there’s a general behavior that most Killers are given due to past problems. I stated in that post that Survivors will complain about the way a Killer is and how they work, while Killers complain about the things Survivors do that frustrates them. It’s not generally anyone’s fault how things are with both sides of the spectrum, as there’s always something for someone to complain about in a video game. Someone will complain about something and that’s just how the world works. You can’t play TF2 for 24 hours without seeing at least ONE player complain about the Pyro or lack of skill Demoman players have. The same goes for Dead By Daylight...Survivors will complain about how Legion’s ability is ‘an unfun and unfair mechanic that just consists of another hold M1 scenario that the devs gave that shows how lazy they are’ or Killers complaining about ‘SWF groups are ruining this game because they brought these and it shows that they’re toxic and want to make the game unfun and unfair for all Killer mains’ and so forth. Yes, as a Killer, yet also a Survivor, main, I have complained about SWF groups bringing certain things and have done something that made the game not entirely too fun for me, but is that their fault? No. No, it’s not. It’s how the game is! You don’t buy a game and play to lose; You play to win and have fun. Sometimes, your fun could ruin the fun of other’s, but that’s just how competition works. At the end of the day, maybe Killers are crybabies. Maybe. But that wouldn’t be said that Survivors are crybabies as well. There’s never one equal view that people can have in this world, there will ALWAYS be someone who try to be different and complain or accept something that other’s will view differently too.

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519
    both sides get mad at stupid #########. feelings are strong man
  • Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378
    Bwhaaahhhhahaha
  • Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293

Both sides are full of #########. Healthier to blame individuals then to fall victim to the hive-mind mentality that plagues both roles.

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756

In B4 closed

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

In B4 closed

That's Joe Dirt, isn't it? 
  • PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
  • I_am_Negan

@Yamaoka said:
    I_am_Negan said:

In B4 closed

That's Joe Dirt, isn't it? 

yes it is

• HeroLives
    HeroLives Member Posts: 1,985
    ^^
  • BigBadPiggy
    BigBadPiggy Member Posts: 678

Maybe change the title to something that doesn't give the impression that you are an ass. I read the title and thought "Another whiny thread" until I read your post and noticed that the way you are talking about it, and what you titled it, are on different ends of the spectrum. I'd suggest changing the title to something that sounds like the rest of what you wrote so people don't get the wrong impression.

• Saint_Ukraine
    edited February 2019

@BigBadPiggy said:
    Maybe change the title to something that doesn't give the impression that you are an ass. I read the title and thought "Another whiny thread" until I read your post and noticed that the way you are talking about it, and what you titled it, are on different ends of the spectrum. I'd suggest changing the title to something that sounds like the rest of what you wrote so people don't get the wrong impression.

You got a point. Consider it revised.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

@Saint_Ukraine it depends how sensitive the other player is. I will point as a survivor or as killer nod to survivor sometimes to trigger the other player. Simple reason is to upset them so they lose focus and don't play as well. I don't stand at the exit gates and wait for the killer to show to teabag.

• Eveline
    If you taunt expect people to respond how they like also.
  • NoxiousOnnyyxx
    NoxiousOnnyyxx Member Posts: 343
    Would it make your killer mains happy if you had a teabagging button? 😂😂😂😂 Just press x to spit and you'll be okay. 
  • Eveline
    Nah we have a better way. The basement.
  • Iceman
    Iceman Member Posts: 1,457
    Yes, kind of? Not all Killers are; I mentioned it before in a previous post, I believe it was relating to who complains the most on the forums, but there’s a general behavior that most Killers are given due to past problems. I stated in that post that Survivors will complain about the way a Killer is and how they work, while Killers complain about the things Survivors do that frustrates them. It’s not generally anyone’s fault how things are with both sides of the spectrum, as there’s always something for someone to complain about in a video game. Someone will complain about something and that’s just how the world works. You can’t play TF2 for 24 hours without seeing at least ONE player complain about the Pyro or lack of skill Demoman players have. The same goes for Dead By Daylight...Survivors will complain about how Legion’s ability is ‘an unfun and unfair mechanic that just consists of another hold M1 scenario that the devs gave that shows how lazy they are’ or Killers complaining about ‘SWF groups are ruining this game because they brought these and it shows that they’re toxic and want to make the game unfun and unfair for all Killer mains’ and so forth. Yes, as a Killer, yet also a Survivor, main, I have complained about SWF groups bringing certain things and have done something that made the game not entirely too fun for me, but is that their fault? No. No, it’s not. It’s how the game is! You don’t buy a game and play to lose; You play to win and have fun. Sometimes, your fun could ruin the fun of other’s, but that’s just how competition works. At the end of the day, maybe Killers are crybabies. Maybe. But that wouldn’t be said that Survivors are crybabies as well. There’s never one equal view that people can have in this world, there will ALWAYS be someone who try to be different and complain or accept something that other’s will view differently too.

Well said 🤧

• Saint_Ukraine

@NoxiousOnnyyxx said:
    Would it make your killer mains happy if you had a teabagging button? 😂😂😂😂 Just press x to spit and you'll be okay. 

Piggy with Leg Braces my guy.

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

Way i look at taunting is like the part in the middle of a horror movie where the main guy distracts the killer by insulting him continuously and then he ends up dying or something. That's how i cope with it.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

Why does toriel have a BAR xD

• MhhBurgers
    MhhBurgers Member Posts: 1,758

taunting is toxic, what kind of stupid question is that? Go to any person in real life and taunt them, tell me how many teeth you have left afterwards.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Yes.

• Eveline
    edited February 2019

taunting is toxic, what kind of stupid question is that? Go to any person in real life and taunt them, tell me how many teeth you have left afterwards.

They want to bully people without consequences. Good luck with that I guess. :lol::lol:
  • MhhBurgers
    MhhBurgers Member Posts: 1,758

@Eveline said:
    MhhBurgers said:

They want to bully people without consequences. Good luck with that I guess. :lol::lol:

Weak ppl always do that on the internet.

• benzos
    benzos Member Posts: 178

no. taunting is taunting. i played lots of games where taunting was an emote in the game and it either makes you want to get better or it breaks ur spirit. mission accomplished.

being toxic is a whole other level w/ calling for ######### or cancer or death to their family, etc. if someone is taunting in game, ok call bad manners, but toxic is a lot worse than this little thing.

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

I do not see in game taunting as toxic. They are trying to distract or annoy. which neither effect me. The only way these actions are toxic is if you find them toxic.

• I_am_Negan

• Saint_Ukraine

@lasombra1979 said:
    I do not see in game taunting as toxic. They are trying to distract or annoy. which neither effect me. The only way these actions are toxic is if you find them toxic.

Finally, someone with a different opinion.

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,145
    Lonefox64 said:

Here you go dude i think this will help you more than any comment to your bait thread.

Way i look at taunting is like the part in the middle of a horror movie where the main guy distracts the killer by insulting him continuously and then he ends up dying or something. That's how i cope with it.

Don't be a hero it what zombieland taught me
  • HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    I always tbag a killer if he tunnels down a weaker mate. Not because to be toxic or to payback but trying to taunt him much enough so he tunnels me instead of my poor (usually weak and pallet wasting) teammate.
    It's nothing personal 
  • Saint_Ukraine

@katoptris said:
    Lonefox64 said:

Detective_Jonathan said:

I do it anyways. Stupid? Yes. Do I die most of the time? You bet. But I look like a god when it works.

• I_am_Negan

@katoptris said:
    Lonefox64 said:

Detective_Jonathan said:

• benzos
    benzos Member Posts: 178

@Saint_Ukraine said:

@katoptris said:
    Lonefox64 said:

Detective_Jonathan said:

I do it anyways. Stupid? Yes. Do I die most of the time? You bet. But I look like a god when it works.

thats the risk you take for the most remembered games. go out in styleeeeee! at the exit gate or on a hook. just have fun getting there. :)

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

Why does toriel have a BAR xD

She wants you to delete this thread my child
  • yobuddd
    yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259

@Boss said:
    I'm famous!

Lol wow! Looks like we made the news!

As a side note to anyone concerned by our exchange in the OP’s, ummm, OP, let me put your mind at ease. The thread referenced was a “let’s have a laugh” type thread. We weren’t complaining. We weren’t bashing (or even excluding) survivors. We were simply sharing stories.

If we want to discuss the merits of taunts from one side or another, that’s fine. But I want to make sure we don’t blur the line between complaining and reminiscing.

This discussion has been closed.