Devs, please do something so I'm not forced to use ruin.

Options
MasonMyers69
MasonMyers69 Member Posts: 246
edited June 2018 in General Discussions

If you play killer, especially at higher ranks, you'll know ruin is a mandatory perk (if you want to win), it helps slow the game down and can actually allow the killer to do something without getting 3 gens done already.
One prime example being Trapper, sets his traps and by the time that's done - 2 gens have been completed.
I'm bored of using Ruin but at this stage it's needed, and sometimes it'll be destroyed so early it's wasted.
Please look at the core design of the game so the beginning of the game is easier so gens aren't getting rushed.
I'm bored of using ruin but as I say it's needed.
Some of you may say "gen rushing doesn't exist" but it really does. Yes you're doing the objective but if 3 survivors stick on one gen whilst the killer chases one, the gen will be done in a tremendously short period of time.
So Devs I ask you this, please do something with the core design of the game so killers like Trapper and Myers aren't forced to use ruin in every game and every rank above 15.

Comments

• Rob_Zombi3
    Rob_Zombi3 Member Posts: 31
    Options

Yeah, I can feel your pain. I would even say that to most builds you got to include Ruin. Also the totem spawning and totem mechanic in general is chucpe. There are maps where totem positions are just not right - next to the generators or survivor spawn, open area shining and very noticeable from far away.
    Its like two days ago when I actually spawn as a survivor like 10 metres to the totem. STILL not fixed.

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    Options

+1
    Ruin as a locked slot is kinda boring.

• MuteNewt
    MuteNewt Member Posts: 234
    edited June 2018
    Options

I never use Ruin. It bothers me that it can be destroyed. To be honest you cant only use Ruin and expect to slow down gen rushing. The devs have more than enough other perks to help you out. Keep your Ruin but try adding on Thanatophobia and Dying Light and I bet you the games will go drastically better. While they are searching for your totem you are bound to come across a few survivors. Hit them to kick in Thanatophobia, which will further entice the people staying fighting the Ruin to look for the totem. Then as that is going on you can hunt your Dying Light survivor. Or you can wait until he is naturally killed if the game is going in your favor. Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Post edited by MuteNewt on
  • ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181
    Options

Yeah, for a good amount of killers, Ruin in pretty much a necessity.

• newduls
    newduls Member Posts: 90
    Options

@MuteNewt said:
    I never use Ruin. It bothers me that it can be destroyed. To be honest you cant only use Ruin and expect to slow down gen rushing. The devs have more than enough other perks to help you out. Keep your Ruin but try adding on Thanatophobia and Dying Light and I bet you the games will go drastically better. While they are searching for your totem you are bound to come across a few survivors. Hit them to kick in Thanatophobia, which will further entice the people staying fighting the Ruin to look for the totem. Then as that is going on you can hunt your Dying Light survivor. Or you can wait until he is naturally killed if the game is going on your favor. Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Ruin doesn't slow down games because of the ruin effect. It slows down games because survivors look for the totem instead of doing gens. If survivors tap gens or just power through the skill checks, then the difference in game speed is trivial.

Thanatophobia and Dying light do not slow down games. At least not in the red ranks. They are both more of a waste then ruin, for the most part

Thanatophobia gives you a 15% reduction in repair speed if 4 survivors are injured. 80 Secs is the base repair time, that means with a 15% reduction it takes 92 secs instead. Having 4 people injured hooked at the same time is a rarity and if you do, probably would have won that game perkless.

The most common scenario is 1 survivor injured at a time, which adds only 4.8 secs to repair time... then once that person dies you lose the bonus...

Thanatophobia's value was always when paired with NC because it pushed survivors to heal (they just can't help it, when they see the badge, it becomes a compulsion). However, under the current meta, its completely unnecessary to pair thana with nc, because everyone heals right away anyways.

Dying light requires that you've killed someone. On average, in red ranks, a single chase allows the completion of 2 gens. Your obssesion will most likely have DS, so you 2 gens is guaranteed, maybe 3. Then you've either got to camp him, or hope you find him again quickly (and have a mori).

If you camp him, then by the time he is dead all the gens will be done, if you don't , and you manage to find him and catch him a 2nd time, the most likely scenario is you're down to 1 gen.

In most scenarios, dying light never has a chance to impact the game. When it does it usually wouldn't have mattered anyways.

Prior to the mori nerf, if you had a green or red mori, it was an excellent perk that would virtually guarantee a long game. Currently its mostly a wasted slot.

There are 2 killers that can be effective without ruin. Nurse/Billy. These 2 killers are more effective WITH ruin.

Which is specifically the problem. If you play without ruin, while you can and will still win(sometimes), the game would have been easier if you had it.

• Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650
    Options

To counter gen rushing... here's 2 very simple things they can do.

Add 10 seconds for gen completion. It's a small thing, but will increase the gen time by 50 seconds at default (no toolboxes, perks etc)

Other thing is make "Thrill of the Hunt" take a bit longer to break down. 4 second increase. Otherwise just make dull totems a little longer to break by 2 seconds each.

That way it takes a bit more time, and NOED would have a better chance to get through. But with those SWF tryhards... they'll just COMM that "he's got noed" anyways.

Ruin with Thrill is a good combo, it slows it down, but it needs buffed.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited June 2018
    Options

Survivor main here. IDGAF about Ruin anymore. Most of the time I just power through it because it's honestly not hard to hit great skill checks, and even if you hit a normal skill check it only slows you down a little bit. If you double team gens, Ruin doesn't even matter.

Eventually most survivors will be a this point and then Ruin won't even be worth using.

• switch
    switch Member Posts: 489
    Options

I agree the games are too fast even ruin isnt that good being destroyed in 9/10 games in under 60 seconds into the game.

• SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146
    Options

+1 x10^23 i really hate running ruin but there simply is no other option. Killers HAVE to run it or they stand no chance in the high ranks. Its absolute bullshit because ruin is a boring ass perk that gets destroyed in the first 30 seconds half the time. I wish i could afford to run something more interesting and fun.

• Runiver
    Options

@thesuicidefox said:
    Survivor main here. IDGAF about Ruin anymore. Most of the time I just power through it because it's honestly not hard to hit great skill checks, and even if you hit a normal skill check it only slows you down a little bit. If you double team gens, Ruin doesn't even matter.

Eventually most survivors will be a this point and then Ruin won't even be worth using.

You mean when they'll evoluate from that state ?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZo8NJi7nDM

Meh, I think we kinda have time.

Ruin is a must because it pushes the round to be 1-2mins long, which is way more important overall than having a random buff that may not even come into play.

• MuteNewt
    MuteNewt Member Posts: 234
    Options

@newduls You must be having bad luck then, cause using them 3 perks combined has slowed down gen rushing considerably in my games. IN the red ranks. And saying they are a waste of perks isn't really a valid point. They are proven to change the pace and outcome of the game. Perks will only ever aid the player by a tiny fraction. Its still down to his or hers skill level and experience that will be another contributing factor to the result.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Runiver said:

Ruin is a must because it pushes the round to be 1-2mins long, which is way more important overall than having a random buff that may not even come into play.

It will happen.

I was there when the Smash Melee competitive community began in 2003/2004. Around 2006 I made a video showing off a lot of fancy Fox moves like shine to upsmash, shield to shine, multi-shine, short hop double laser, shine to grab.

Know what was said to me at the time? "These tricks are really cool but no one will ever do them in a real match because they are impossible". Skip to 2016 Evo finals and literally every Fox does every single one of these tricks consistently, perfectly, and many times in a match.

My point is that at some time in the future, the general survivor population will be GOOD ENOUGH that Ruin won't bother them so much that they feel compelled to look for it before doing gens. When that day comes Ruin will drop to garbage tier. Trust me.

Marth and his depip squad already showed you what that looks like. Now just imagine if every survivor saw a Ruin SC and said to themselves "whatever".

• TigerKirby215
    TigerKirby215 Member Posts: 604
    Options

@MasonMyers69 said:
    Some of you may say "gen rushing doesn't exist" but it really does.

Gen rushing doesn't exist, it's just that Gens in general are done so quickly when the killer doesn't have Ruin. Even discounting toolboxes and Brand New Parts and the likes, it takes 80 seconds to fully repair a generator if a survivor only gets good skill checks. (no Fails no Greats) A minute and a half really isn't that long, and generators don't even take that long at that. If a killer gets distracted by anything for a reasonable amount of time it's safe to assume that any generator that's a modest distance away will be completed without fail.

Ruin is mandatory because it turns a pitiful minute and a half into a more managable 2 minutes or even 3 minutes if you're lucky.

• Runiver
    Options

@thesuicidefox said:

@Runiver said:

It will happen.

I was there when the Smash Melee competitive community began in 2003/2004. Around 2006 I made a video showing off a lot of fancy Fox moves like shine to upsmash, shield to shine, multi-shine, short hop double laser, shine to grab.

Know what was said to me at the time? "These tricks are really cool but no one will ever do them in a real match because they are impossible". Skip to 2016 Evo finals and literally every Fox does every single one of these tricks consistently, perfectly, and many times in a match.

My point is that at some time in the future, the general survivor population will be GOOD ENOUGH that Ruin won't bother them so much that they feel compelled to look for it before doing gens. When that day comes Ruin will drop to garbage tier. Trust me.

Marth and his depip squad already showed you what that looks like. Now just imagine if every survivor saw a Ruin SC and said to themselves "whatever".

I wouldn't mind.
    What marth truly showed is the unbalance of SURVIVORS in general, not only Ruin.

Ruin overall, is still useful. Even marth will tell you so. He's actually sad for killers that do not have ruin against the depip squad. You can hear him say "Aww.. No Ruin"

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,063
    Options

Please do something so I'm not forced to play Nurse

• Wicked_Django
    Wicked_Django Member Posts: 128
    Options
    I was playing some Rank 1s last night. With ruin up, they did 3 gens in a little over a minute. I had enough time to get one person on a hook. By the time I found the second person, the other two gens were done. They had one toolbox. Great skillchecks for these guys is easy
  • Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,194
    Options

You can only pick 3 (or 2) perks unfortunately. Ruin is a MUST and BBQ is quite useful aswell, if you dont want to patroll

• Envees
    Envees Member Posts: 370
    Options

@MuteNewt said:
    I never use Ruin. It bothers me that it can be destroyed. To be honest you cant only use Ruin and expect to slow down gen rushing. The devs have more than enough other perks to help you out. Keep your Ruin but try adding on Thanatophobia and Dying Light and I bet you the games will go drastically better. While they are searching for your totem you are bound to come across a few survivors. Hit them to kick in Thanatophobia, which will further entice the people staying fighting the Ruin to look for the totem. Then as that is going on you can hunt your Dying Light survivor. Or you can wait until he is naturally killed if the game is going in your favor. Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Every time i use Dying Light they give it to the most obnoxious, flashlight holding highest rank in my group person who can pallet loop efficiently. It is almost as worthless as ruin to me.

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796
    Options
    Envees said:

@MuteNewt said:

Every time i use Dying Light they give it to the most obnoxious, flashlight holding highest rank in my group person who can pallet loop efficiently. It is almost as worthless as ruin to me.

Or the Survivor isn't braindead, sees the DL notification and goes into full immersion mode, never to be seen until 4 gens are done.