If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Phase 2 hook change request

Options
thesuicidefox
thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
edited June 2018 in General Discussions

source - https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/14269#Comment_14269

@not_Queen said:
QUESTION FROM BLACK_MERCURY
You've explained the purpose behind the struggle phase and button mashing on the hook, it's intended to make us feel uncomfortable, prevent us from relaxing. However, button mashing can be painful for some people, and people who get framerate problems often fail to have their struggle recognized when their frames spike. Have you considered replacing the struggle mechanic with another that could cause less pain, but still create the intended effect of dis-comfort, such as a series of skill-checks in place of button mashing.

ANSWER
This is something we are now open to reconsider because we feel that after 2 years, we need to improve some game mechanics. It is currently in the backlog.

As far as the framerate issue, this is something we need to fix before we work on the mechanic changes.
Thanks for the feedback!

I came across this and wanted to comment. I personally find phase 2 struggle mechanics to be stupid honestly. The fact you have to mash a button to stay alive just means that anything that interrupts that can make you die on the hook. As mention above if you have frame rate issues you will die. I've also seen MANY instance of people dying because of lag. I've also had instance where people died on the hook because their controller batteries died or lost connection, and other times where they stopped pressing it because they were getting saved which was cut short and therefore they were not actually rescued. There are actually quite a few times where people have died in phase 2 because something happened and their inputs weren't registered.

I think phase 2 should be an opt-out phase. What I mean by that is you don't press ANYTHING to stay on the hook and struggle. It's just like phase 1. If you decide to let yourself die, then you hold a button to channel the death (similar to channeling a self unhook attempt in phase 1). This makes it a lot more consistent and would completely remove any issues with lag or whatnot associated with phase 2 BS. Dying on the hook would be 100% a conscious choice.

And as far as "feeling uncomfortable" no. I never felt that, especially now that I'm not exactly scared of the killer or the atmosphere or anything. I understand the game and just play it. Pretty sure most other players feel this way, so the psychological effect your WANT us to have doesn't actually happen. It is more tedious and annoying than stressful and uncomfortable.

Comments

• Azakura
    Azakura Member Posts: 68
    Options
    In the quote you provided, they said that they are open to changing the mechanics of it but needed to improve other issues first before changing it. 
  • thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    Options

I know, I was just posting this because it was something I wanted fixed for a while. I was just offering my suggestion.

• SanKa_Games
    SanKa_Games Member Posts: 201
    Options

Yeah, too don't find this mechanic stressful, it's just really annoying. Especially when you change it to MWheel down.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181
    Options

There are definitely better ways to go about struggling in this game. Maybe make it harder if you want to make it stressful but the way frame rate and lag affects it now, that should definitely be looked at first.