Exactly why are survivors sent to the realm?

Options
Hoodied
Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994

Is it because some are full of hope?

Or is it something more

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

It is indeed because they're full of hope and never give up. Apparently, taking someone from our world requires a decent amount of effort from the Entity, so She only takes those She deems a worthy meal.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options

@Orion thanks, but Jane sorta, contradicts that, she did not seem to be full of hope,

also The Entity is female?

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    edited March 2019
    Options

I'd say it takes a strong will to keep going despite all the crap she went through.

Well, I consider She is due to various reasons, one of which being that, in French (the devs' native tongue), nouns have genders, and the French word for "Entity" is female.

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293
    edited March 2019
    Options

I wouldn't just say Hope but strong emotions in general. Ex - Quentins hatred for Freddy, Janes parental issues, Megs dream of becoming an athlete... The same is on the killer side as well.

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

Whether it's the determination of hunting down a serial killer, the stress of being a talk show host and still finding a way to keep going strong, being a country girl singer and being an inspiration to those across the world, or even just being a schoolteacher in Japan.

No matter who you are or what you do, if you show some sign of strength, or some sign of happiness in your life, then you are ripe for the taking.

• Snikers
    Snikers Member Posts: 64
    Options

I believe it's stated somewhere that the Entity can exert power - such as kidnapping people - only in areas where great violence has occurred. This factors into a lot of killers' backstories, but very few survivors'.

Some people theorize that the Entity takes dead people, which is most strongly implied by licensed characters: Bill and Tapp are definitely dead in their own canons, while Laurie was canonically dead when the Halloween chapter was released (but the Laurie we've got is younger than the one that died in Halloween: Resurrection, so that's confusing). Adam and Jane were also taken from what seems to be the moment of death. In contrast, Kate and Quentin were explicitly taken alive, but both were in areas where the Entity had more power than usual; Kate was implied to be at a place where the Entity had already exerted control, and Quentin was in a dream - at some point, the Entity's domain was suggested to be in a place outside of reality "that humans can only access by dreaming".

The Entity feeds off of strong emotions, so it's possible that the Entity picks survivors that are passionate and determined, since their hope will burn the brightest and longest. It's also possible that they're just in the wrong place at the wrong time, and that there's plenty of "survivors" that we never see because they burn out after only a few trials and are discarded to the Void.

Oh, and Behavior has explicitly stated that the Entity is neither male or female. They just use gendered nouns (in French) or slip up on the pronouns sometimes (in English) because there's no such thing as a genderless noun in French, which is the mother tongue for most of them.

• aderpymuffin
    aderpymuffin Member Posts: 97
    Options

Unlike the killers, survivors are not chosen specifically. While killers are chosen for doing horrible things or willing to do it; survivors are chosen at random. If the entity sees an opportunity to grab a survivor right before an impact that could kill the survivor it will. Or, if it sees a survivor alone it will grab them. But the most common way to get there is by walking into a forest alone. Previously the survivors got there by going into a very specific forest that the entity had a connection to. It is only after getting many more survivors was the entity able to collect survivors and killers from all over the multiverse AND time.

• bubbascal
    bubbascal Member Posts: 316
    Options

You are my role model.

Literally every single thing you said in this comment. Agreed. It's true. I support it! 👌

I need a source on that last bit, specifically to use against Orion and for my war on "She" Pronouns-Entity. 🤣

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,340
    Options

Going to remind everyone to refrain from any personal attacks, you are free to disagree but attacking forum users personally will get your posts removed and your forum account sanctioned.

• Snikers
    Snikers Member Posts: 64
    Options

I don't approve of message board vendettas, but in the interests of cataloguing information, here's my citation for genderless Entity:

Jump to 23:04 if this link doesn't retain the timestamp.

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165
    Options

Which is why it states on the wiki that she is potentially of a female gender, the devs didn't want to explain it simply because Gender is already a controversial topic enough.