Hillarious perception of legality issues

Sheldor
Sheldor Member Posts: 213

I am really wondering where these developers carry their heads. It seems they are firmly planted up somewhere they shouldn't be.

We are introducing by incompetent game design, coding and lack of testing and quality assurance a way for players to gain an advantage over other players in a computer game.

We are declaring this unwanted advantage an 'abuse' and reserve the right to revoke a legal binding contract PAID WITH REAL MONEY IN THE REAL WORLD ????

My personal prognosis, should any banned player take this issue to court, is a discussion of less than 5 minutes with all legal expenses and compensation paid by BHVR.....

Other than concentrating on threatening paying customers you guys would be better off concentrating on improving game balance and bug removal.

Comments

• Sheldor
    Sheldor Member Posts: 213

These terms of use were not in effect when I bought the game more than 2 years ago. They were made up later in the patches and have no legal binding whatsoever. Its like selling a sports car and then making up a 15 mph speed limit after the sale and revoking the car when driving above that.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Yeah, they were. Standard video game ToU includes "don't cheat/exploit" (in legalese).

• lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142

But because I refused to read them, that means they did not exist. Legally speaking of course.

• FreyatheKind
    FreyatheKind Member Posts: 90

Might need to confirm, but I think somewhere in the ToU they also state they have the right to change said terms for any reason? I can’t be sure though. Always heard it that way.

• Orion
  • GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

They exist even if you didn’t read them (like me). If you violate them then they can ban you.

• BillyIII
    BillyIII Member Posts: 365

Welcome to the modern gaming. You don't own anything. Especially not wrt to a multiplayer-only game.

• Orion

Banning people from multiplayer games for cheating/exploiting has been a thing since, well, since multiplayer games. Nowadays, the only difference is that cheaters and exploiters try to make it look like they're not doing anything wrong. Back in the day, they at least had the balls to admit what they'd done.

• BillyIII
    edited April 2019

Back in the day, community-run servers were the norm (still are for some games, Unknown Worlds be blessed).

EDIT: I'm not condoning exploiting and cheating. I'm saying that now you can get banned by the master server, and no more /connect 1.2.3.4:5555 for you.

• gantes
    gantes Member Posts: 1,611
    edited April 2019

Every time new ToU pops up on your game screen after a patch (as it always does) and you click on the "accept" button, you're subject to the new terms. So nah. Quit it with the bs

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532

Lol I think your career as an armchair lawyer is not a good investment or fit for you. It’s not a full priced game and it’s functional and consumer friendly. They are constantly changing the game to suit everyone’s needs and have been pretty damn good about learning from their mistakes, and finding that sweet spot of compromise in between both sides of the fan base to keep the largest majority of fans happy as possible.

If you buy this game and deliberately sabotage the experience of other users, you are a danger to their product and enjoyment of others. The result of malicious behavior is a ban. You are not refunded because then you could just buy it from different accounts, try to ruin the game, and be refunded every time. You aren’t refunded as an incentive to stay away.

Users were warned in game not to use those two addons. If you knew anything at all about coding you’d know that every time you change, add, or remove code, it is inevitable that other scripts will break. This is how bugs form, vaults not working, weird pallet trigger areas, spawning, anything and everything has a likely chance to break or malfunction.

Knowing how complex the coding for DBD is, this would be a chain reaction so bad that it could take months just to fix due to how little manpower they have to spare that are working on the bugs already prevelant this patch, and incorporating those fixes by working with the portion of the team’s coders that are currently working on a new build of the game ALREADY.

Sorry bud, game design isn’t a snap of the fingers and a few art assets. It requires talent and a progressional certification just to have a shot at being a coder for a living. These are professionals and you shouldn’t tell them what they can and can’t do, you can suggest whatever you want, but who wants to be sympathetic with someone that wants to tell them how to do their job everyday on the forums? Especially when said someone doesn’t even understand what setinterval/ID:11726Kspawntrue means for example? (May not actually exist in the game files, but is an example of what basic code can look like)

Thousands and thousands of lines of code are being run through your machine within just the first 60 seconds of the match. These things take TIME, EFFORT, AND TESTING.

They are within their legal rights and haven’t violated the law. The only crime being committed is how insanely underpriced Dead By Daylight is considering the insane amount of changes and free content added. And the content additions are becoming more and more frequent as they’ve become more experienced over time.

If I’m correct, this is BHVR’s first ever game, I heard they were in charge of porting games to PC beforehand and had an excellent track record for high quality ports. Dead By Daylight, if I heard correctly,s an was their first attempt at a video game of their own. And indeed, for a first attempt, that’s a pretty damn good job so far.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited April 2019

Ignorance of the rules/TOU does not make you excempt from them.

Clicking accept before playing means you have agreed to them and legally bonded you to what it says.

TOU's for games are pretty standard when it comes to exploiting and cheating.

You have the right to not accept it upon purchasing a game and filling for a refund, after that well you then reap what you sow.

I don't agree with perma banning with certain exploits as some are extremely hard to prove it's intentional but I do think a notification when loading up the game or picking legion should be put in game and then a temp ban or strike is fine.

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796

Sorry, I've been watching a lot people play the Phoenix Wright games recently.

• Hag_Main_Big_Brain
    Hag_Main_Big_Brain Member Posts: 81

Dude, just because you ignore the TOU and EULA doesn't mean you are immune to the legal consequences. They update the TOU and EULA every chapter too, sooooooooo you still agreed to them anyway. Just because you bought a game doesn't mean you get total control of what's legal and illegal to do in said game. BHVR has every right to ban you from their game. Get over yourself.

• BillyIII
  • Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited April 2019

@Sheldor I'm not going to go into what is wrong with your post on pretty much every level, but let me assure you, as someone who worked in the game industry, that you'd lose in court.

But don't worry, I'm sure that there are plenty of lawyers out there who will be happy to bill you upward of $400+ an hour for a case that cannot be won. Feel free to write those checks.