Discussion about the recent killers

Banshee
Banshee Member Posts: 31

Personally I think that the recent killers are cool, but I feel like BHVR is slowly moving away from the first type of killers that were in the game. All these special abilities and ######### - I can't be the only one missing a big guy with an axe.

Comments

• Zarathos
    Zarathos Member Posts: 1,911
    edited May 2019

In terms of mechanics its for the best killers need to continue to evolve to become more lethal. This is important fir differentiating the killer and survivour experiance.

Design wise i prefer the supernatural killer variants most of recent killers has been more human. Plague, legion, clown and soon to be added ghostface.

I prefer designs like wraith, spirit and hag. The less human the better although i will admit myers is still probably the scariest thing about dbd and hes just a dude with a mask and a jumpsuit.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

The last few killers are very weak, and Ghostface looks very weak as well.

I just wish they weren't afraid of making a new killer to be viable at high ranks.

(I mean, if you have the skill you can use any killer at rank 1, but the top killers are the ones you'll see the most at high ranks, and it gets boring after a while)

• Zarathos

@LCGaster

The problem is a lack of early game slow down. 4 hands on a gen at the start of the game requires killers to carry very unbalanced kits to compete with a start where an optomised team can bang out gens very fast.

Design space for killers is limited to snowballing hard and fast. Continously applying map pressure and building momemtum as killer which will halt progression.

Delay tactics and killers that deviate from this playstyle are not playable in higher ranks against the cream of the crop survivours.

However if we trimmed back the power of some of the high tier killers and put a slow down period at the start of the game we could potentially open the door for some of the other killers who set up takes too long or killers who want to apply stall effects.

Ultimately i talking about a meta shift that demands a lot of changes so its unlikely to happen until then design space for killer is going to be a nightmare to navigate.

• LCGaster

@Zarathos

I know how difficult it is as killer, I'm not new to the game, I did reach rank 1 playing most killers on rotation.

What I was saying is that the recent killers, after Spirit, have been either broken or weak and Ghostface seems to follow that trend.

I just want a killer that doesn't need to rely on add-ons to succeed at high ranks.

I do think that survivors need something else to do other than gens, gen rushing is getting out of control.

• Zarathos
    edited May 2019

@LCGaster

An additional opening objective would certainly help but they tested this with the vials and it kinda went poorly.

This is largely because some killers are strong enough to compete currently so an additional objective would make them too powerful. Billy and nurse spring to mind.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I also prefer a simple, strong Killer.

So that they can do all kinds of original stuff with their Add-ons.

You can do many things with Wraith now, and Shape is the prime example of changing things up.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

@Zarathos Well if we keep getting early game perks like Corrupt Intervention it would help out certain Killers, but the problem is that they're PERKS and Killers only have 4 and sacrificing two perks just to start the match isn't right.

Anyway, I do love skill based Killers but I do want another brute force Killer, a simple Killer like Billy who can ######### you up HARD but simple. Myers is technically that but he is a still a stealth based Killer so he can't be classified as brute force. There's a difference between ''I can Kill you in a minute from now, completely'' and ''DID YOU DROP THE SOAP!!!''

• LCGaster

@Boss

Ah yes~

My boy, Mr. Bing Bong :3

He's the first killer I got to P3-50 :D

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

I feel bhvr is going for quantity over quality. The three month release schedule is weighing too much on the health of the game. I don't know how anyone new can hope to catch up to this massive grind.

• mistar_z
    mistar_z Member Posts: 857

Yeah the bloodweb needs another overhaul. I have like close to 4k hours logged in and I'm really burned out with trying to collect all of the perks on my characters. Because I actually use most of the perks even if they aren't meta.

With the other roadmap the game's grind is going to get so much harder.