What are your thoughts about tunneling?

Camophlo
Camophlo Member Posts: 104

Inb4 the usual "It's a strategy" I legit wanna know your thoughts on why you do/don't tunnel and if there's certain exceptions to your personal rule. Have been tunneled the past four games (yes I'm salty and annoyed about it) and it's gotten to the point where I think "why?" Haven't done anything toxic (unless you count doing the objective toxic). It just kinda gets annoying having the ability to play the game taken away from you repeatedly.

I personally don't tunnel people off hook when I play killer, as it is just unfair for them to play against especially when they're being farmed by the other survivors.

Currently in green ranks on both sides due to rank reset in case that affects your thoughts (down from Red)

Comments

• Chaotic_Riddle
    Chaotic_Riddle Member Posts: 1,953

I don't personally tunnel, but I only do so if I have to, such as if the Survivor I had recently hooked gets unhooked and charges at me, I'm not gonna let them just get an easy escape for making a mistake. I won't purposely go out of my way to hunt down one player, however, as that wastes my time and just buys the Survivor's more time to get stuff done. Even then, the only 'tunneling' I really do is if I happen to see the Survivor I injured alone and expecting me to either ignore them or leave them be.

You buy games to have fun and win, and if having fun means taking care of business when needed, then you're technically winning in your own personal book.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,019

Tunneling makes me feel like what the skeleton is stating, but I hate it when I get tunneled

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

I try not to, to a point, It kind of depends how fast the game is going.

I don't see a problem with it unless you're actively seeking out a single person. If it happens due to circumstances in the game then I have no issue, If someone runs into me or they're the only person i can find I'm going to hit them, I'm not going to follow made up rules and let them get away.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

I tunnel if

You're a dousche

Or

There are more survivors left than generators. At that point I pretty much have to get someone removed from the game to change the game back in my favor.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

I run DS and unbreakable as survivor so I don’t care about tunneling and as killer sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t.

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

I normally make it a point not to tunnel.

However if I ONLY see you and your buddy vanished within the five seconds it took for me to get to the hook and I see you running at me, then unfortunately you're getting on that hook.

However, if I see that you are getting farmed, I make it a point to punish the farmer. I play as fair as possible, but I do not actively try to bend over backwards to appease my survivor masters.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I don't tunnel. I dislike it when it happens to me. So I won't do it myself. If I happen to find the person just off the hook I'll slug them. It let's them live longer and have a chance to play.

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

Personally, I try to avoid tunneling unless I've been given a good reason to do so.

Have you been toxic? I'll tunnel you off hook.

Breaking hooks? You should expect them to try to take you out.

I'll purposefully just ground someone if I've felt I've caught them too soon, though it also depends on how the game is going. My goal is for a reasonably fun game.

• 53nation
    53nation Member Posts: 681

Every time the subject of tunneling comes up, i think about the planet earth docuseries.

At some point, you will a pack of dogs or lions or whatever, targeting the weakest or smallest of the herd. They do this because it gives the pack the highest % of making the kill and eating that night.

As long as chase isn't more than 1m, it usually feels like the best strategy to eliminate the player. I want ppl eliminated so the rest feel a sense of dread and play worse.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited May 2019

I generally leave every single hook and don't tunnel. That said, if a survivor tbags/flashlight flicks/plays toxic I make sure they die and those people lose all right to complain about tunneling or camping.

It's very, very rare I have tunneling issues as survivor. I think a lot of people call things "tunneling" and for that matter "camping" as well, that really aren't and they're just being salty.

For example, just happening to run into the same survivor that was the last one you hooked in another area of the map. That isn't tunneling, I just happen to run into them. Yet most survivors will still call that "tunneling" and expect a killer to just be like OH MY BAD, can't touch you again, don't wanna be a tunneler and just ignore them and just wander off to continue looking for someone else. The killer relies on maintaining pressure in a game and just letting someone go to just random try and find someone else is throwing away your pressure and tempo. I'd rather have ran into someone else but I can't just ignore someone I find.

Another example is when survivors make stupid saves right in front of me before I can leave. I will go after the rescuer instead, but I'm still going to wack the guy getting off because if I don't then that rescuer is getting rewarded for farming his teammate. I'll leave that first guy on the ground to be nice and give his teammates a chance to save him while I chase the other guy but even this kindness gets twisted around to "tryhard slugging". You're wrong as a killer no matter what you do.

Also for this matter, we now have DS as an anti tunnel perk to counter these things anyway if it is actually that big of an issue for someone.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,246

I'm going to let everyone have fun within reason but I'm not going to intentionally throw the game because I'm afraid of catching heat postgame. If you make a good faith effort to protect the unhooked person, I'll go for you.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    edited May 2019

I tunnel as killer because it's the easiest and generally most effective way to win. I won't tunnel as hard when I know they DS, MoM or whatever, or if they're obviously way too good.

I don't like tunneling because it's not fun for the survivor.

It's not about fairness. Killers shouldn't have to sacrifice their chances of winning to play "fairly" (i.e. suboptimally) and survivors shouldn't be subjected to a #########, unengaging experience (i.e. being tunneled to death or subjected to staring at gens for 5 minutes) for being in a game with a killer playing optimally.

Everyone deserves to enjoy the game and play competitively. It's about game design and how the design promotes unfun behavior like tunneling, camping, and gen rushing.

• Blueberry

"It's about game design and how the design promotes unfun behavior like tunneling, camping, and gen rushing."

That's another very good point to make. The game is designed to be played in those "unfun" ways if you want to win. Winning while playing completely "fair" by survivor standards is generally only happening if the survivors are all potatoes.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited May 2019

Tunneling is evil and the devs need to change the mechanics of the game more to discourage it. Getting less pips is not a punishment. It's a reward for killers. It become an unholy synergy:

• Tunnel Camp
    • Get Less pips
    • Kill more Surivors (Win the game)
    • Profit!

So of course more killers are going to do it.

I'm pretty sure most DCs in the game occur because of tunneling. Getting first downed in the game is like 75% chance of you getting tunnel-camped and dead without even getting a chance to do anything.

I certainly feel like DCing when I'm first to get hooked and I see the killer just tunnel camping me, and my idiot teammates just farm me for unhooks.

You want to fix the DC problem? The first step is to fix the tunneling problem.

• drunky26
    drunky26 Member Posts: 686

Only time I'll tunnel is if the unhooked survivor is being toxic. I just try to get rid of them from the game first.

But usually, no I don't tunnel. I know it sucks to be tunneled and even if someone farms a teammate, I'll always go for the unhooker in case of borrowed time and you end up punishing them for doing an unsafe unhook.

• GrootDude

You’re comparing smart play to something that normally leads to gen rushing.

• TatsuiChiyo
    TatsuiChiyo Member Posts: 700

I mean, it's annoying when it happens to you, but Killer side there can be a few reasons.

1) Perks. I flip between my Pig and Freddy when I play Killer, but when I'm Freddy I need those Remember Me stacks, so once I find my obsession you know I'm on them like a serial killer on a sexually promiscuous teen. Dying Light is also another perk that "rewards" tunneling. I don't have it yet, but when I do my poor obsession is going to be able to fit semis in them with how much tunneling they're gonna get. BBQ & Chili, if you are my last Survivor needing a good hooking than it's dinner time for me.

2) But what about when you're not the obsession and it's not about the perks. Remember that a Killer's goal is to kill, a fact that is surprisingly easily forgotten. If I have two Survivors to chase, both of which are injured, and one will be on their third hook as opposed to the other who either hasn't been hooked or been hooked only once, who does it benefit me more to go after? Same logic applies to someone hooked once vs someone never hooked. I always go after who is easier to down and hook.

3) Finally, some people are just toxic. Sometimes you run into them once out of every ten games, other times every nine out of ten. I learned long ago best to just move on.

4) One more, but this is more of a me thing. If you are Quentin, you die. No ifs, and, or buts, I see a Quentin I will throw the game to kill that Quentin. I have no reason for this (I quite enjoy 2010 Nightmare) I just derive joy from the death of all Quentin's. And I admit, that kinda makes me a pos.

• Cassandra_Alexandra
    Cassandra_Alexandra Member Posts: 254

I understand that tunneling is a strategy and sometimes killers feel they need to tunnel to take someone out of the game to improve their odds or they just want to take out a toxic survivor. However, I've seen so many survivors DCN from being tunneled. You don't know what their successive match play experience has been like. Maybe that's the 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. game in a row that they've been tunneled and they're fed up. I was tunneled off every hook hard last night 3x in a row. I was done after that. No wonder people want to play SWF. I play 90% solo, but if more of my friends still played, I would play SWF more.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,615

Not my style.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

So which one is smart play and which one will lead to gen rush?

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

If I know a survivor is a good looper and l have the ability to down them and string them up again without a prolonged chase, I'm gonna do that. If I know someone is easy prey though I'll go after the rescuer cause that puts overall more pressure on the survivors

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Learn to punish it and hope your teamates can hold M1.

• GrootDude

That depends on your and the survivors skill, if you can apply good pressure then “tunneling” gens won’t, however tunneling is pressuring one survivor so the others will gen rush.

@Tsulan

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454

Tunneling

Definition - What does Tunnelingmean?

Tunneling is a protocol that allows for the secure movement of data from one network to another. Tunneling involves allowing private network communications to be sent across a public network, such as the Internet, through a process called encapsulation. The encapsulation process allows for data packets to appear as though they are of a public nature to a public network when they are actually private data packets, allowing them to pass through unnoticed.

Tunneling is also known as port forwarding.

FREE WEBINAR: Data-Driven: Achieving Digital Transformation Efficiently | Join us June 4th @ 11:00am EST

Techopedia explains Tunneling

In tunneling, the data are broken into smaller pieces called packets as they move along the tunnel for transport. As the packets move through the tunnel, they are encrypted and another process called encapsulation occurs. The private network data and the protocol information that goes with it are encapsulated in public network transmission units for sending. The units look like public data, allowing them to be transmitted across the Internet. Encapsulation allows the packets to arrive at their proper destination. At the final destination, de-capsulation and decryption occur.

There are various protocols that allow tunneling to occur, including:

• Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP): PPTP keeps proprietary data secure even when it is being communicated over public networks. Authorized users can access a private network called a virtual private network, which is provided by an Internet service provider. This is a private network in the “virtual” sense because it is actually being created in a tunneled environment.
    • Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP): This type of tunneling protocol involves a combination of using PPTP and Layer 2 Forwarding.

Tunneling is a way for communication to be conducted over a private network but tunneled through a public network. This is particularly useful in a corporate setting and also offers security features such as encryption options.

I don't do this so idk how to reply =p

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

A lot of gens can get done during the time it takes to get rid of 1 survivor though. It's not a tactic that usually puts much pressure on the team as a whole. Maybe a bad team of randoms but any team with a semblance of organization can punish you dearly for it.

• FeelsVeryBadMan
    FeelsVeryBadMan Member Posts: 197
    edited May 2019

I accept the fact that it is a strategy. HOWEVER, I think it's one of the biggest things that make people take breaks / quit this game along with camping.

It's incredibly frusturating to be tunneled, especially when you can't do ######### about it and you get that in so many matches.

If I get rescued and I see the killer coming back, fully focused on my thicc Jane butt, I hate it.

If I get rescued and somehow manage to be dumb enough and run into the killer, I deserve to die because it's my fault.

I personally don't tunnel / camp until endgame.

EDIT: Also, yes, it is logical to switch targets in a chase and go after the injured one. It's the survivor's fault for showing up when injured.

• Blueberry
    edited May 2019

That summed it up pretty well. Unfortunately the devs keep trying to punish killers for playing optimally and are trying to force us to play stupid for the sake of survivor fun solely with the changes they keep making and the perks they keep releasing.

• ba_tetsuo
    ba_tetsuo Member Posts: 330

Tunneling the first survivor is the most efficient way to lean the game in your favor. 3v1 is much easier to manage than 4v1. Tunneling loses efficiency the less survivors there are.

First one is very efficient - Most groups will have one person sneak to the hook, and a second distract the killer, leaving only one person doing gens.

Second one is alright I guess, but its better to tie up 2 survivors (hooked+rescuer) than one, as they will realize you're tunneling and won't go for more aggressive unhooks.

Third is pointless. Better to tie one up with healing while chasing the 2nd, than chase one and leave the healthy one to do whatever.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

Sometimes necessary, other times needless.

I can understand when a killer tunnels one down after 1 gen left and still 4 alive, that's what I do. What I don't understand is beeing a nurse/Billy, having 1 survivor DCing and still 5 gens up and just straight up tunneling the living ######### out of everyone. That's when I can just smh cuz I don't get it

• GrootDude

If you aren’t careful I’ll steal that one too. :p

• Bithard
    Bithard Member Posts: 406

I don't mind being tunneled. I normally aim to get chased anyway so it helps. Just bring DS or borrowed time. Sometimes MOM can help if you can charge it first.

People who camp and tunnel are going to do it no matter what, if you get caught out just go to the next game.

• tt_ivi_99
    tt_ivi_99 Member Posts: 1,463

I just think that people who complain about tunneling dont have the right to defend genrush.

That being said, I only tunnel if gens start popping while everyone is hurt.

• KaoMinerva
    KaoMinerva Member Posts: 451

Why should I go after the healthy survivor when you're weak? You take 1 hit, he eats 1 runs to loop, etc. No. I always try to get one out immediately.

• GrootDude

Not necessarily, like I said it depends on your skill and the survivors skill.

This won’t always lead to gen rush unless you’re a low skill player or the survivors are better than you.

• Jesp
    Jesp Member Posts: 192
    edited May 2019

Firstly a lot of things that people call tunneling really isn't tunneling. If you get unhooked and the killer runs into you while you try to escape, that's not tunneling but just unlucky. If you get unhooked while the killer isn't in a chase and heal under the hook, the killer goes back and chooses to go for you, that's not tunneling but you taking a risk and getting punished. If you get farmed by a galaxy brain "teammate" you should be yelling at them and not the killer.

And even then there's tactical tunneling and pure rage tunneling. One is simply choosing the weaker target in the given situation, the other is chasing someone like a complete idiot for 4 gens as Huntress without hatchets because they stunned you one time too many or whatever. Or being so blinded by emotion that you try to bloodlust/mindgame totally safe pallets or spend 10 seconds squeezing past a bodyblocker instead of just smacking them out of the way.

Even the most hardcore non-stupid tunneling (which in my opinion is "proxy camp" + tunneling, anything beyond that and people will probably just leave them on the hook and rush gens) can be slowed down with perks, and leaves the other survivors with minimal threat and freedom to just work on gens. Doing this to a strong enough survivor can lose you the game just like standing in front of them with a revved chainsaw can.

But lets not kid ourselves - it isn't fun to be on the recieving end, and stating that does not make someone an "entitled survivor main". Just because it isn't fun doesn't mean it'll be made bannable, but shaming people for saying they have a bad time while getting tunneled (especially without anti tunnel perks) is just lame and pointless imo. At least you actually get to play the game for a little bit though, unlike if you get hard/"face"camped while your team has enough brainpower to rush gens as a result.

I personally tend to try not to tunnel, because I genuinely do not care about how many kills I get or if I pip. I know that makes me a total casual in the eyes of some, but that's just how I play and if I can I just slug the unhooked person and chase the unhooker because it's more fun for me and gives me more points a lot of the time.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Survivors focusing gens = gen rush.

Killer focusing a single survivor = gen rush.

• GrootDude

I don’t think you’re understanding me.

Survivors focusing on gens does not always lead to gen rush, same goes for tunneling.

Remember you aren’t facing AI, you’re facing other people. Skill is a major factor.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

I will leave the hook if I think the area is clear.

But if somebody unhooks before I can take two steps away from the hook, you bet your ass I'm gonna down the weak survivor if the opportunity presents itself. At which point, I may pursue the idiot who did the unsafe hook if they didn't too much of a head start.

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089
    edited May 2019

If I intentionally tunnel, like if I'm against a 4 man, swf, or the team is putting ona lot of pressure. i will usualy tunnel 2 lives off a person, and move to the next. Setting people up for an end game death hook death match.

However there are plenty of times I don't intentionaly tunnel. These include: Survivor took bad pathing and I clearly see them after the unhook, and see no other targets.

Unhooked Survivor trips my hag traps. No offense, but the survivor watched me set these up around them, they had an idea of the best means of escape. but likely was looking at survivor auras instead. When i trap a hooked survivor, I'm not preventing unhooks, I'm preventing the escape from the hook area.

I will state that sometimes when I tunnel a person down, i will slug them and take another chas,e if I think I can get that chase before/ around the time the downed survivor gets picked up. Giving them another life, and pulling a total of 3 people off generators.

• smappdooda
    smappdooda Member Posts: 544

For me, the only time I tunnel is early game (within the first minute) to get the team whittled down or when someone is being a D-bag.

If you flashlight me while I break a pallet, then my goal shifts from "kill as many as I can" to "this one person needs to die and if you are the only person I kill fine by me."

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519

I think it's for players who can't reliably create pressure due to a lack of skill. like camping, the killer is only really focusing on one player, removing all interaction between the killer and the rest of the survivors. it's just boring to be against, and I don't feel like I actually won without giving the other side a fair chance. it's not hard to create, and then hook a survivor in a dead zone then focus them off hook lol

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

I will not go out of my way to tunnel somebody unless I have remember me or dying light.

However that does not mean if I run across you after you've been unhooked I am going to try to down you.

I have had this problem many times as an Amanda main you have a reverse bear trap I'm not going to go out of my way to go and find you however if you run into me when you're running around like a headless chicken

Stop expecting me to just ignore you no you just getting off the hook or you having reverse bear trap on does not make you immune to being chased again