Unlocking characters by playing?

Casm
Casm Member Posts: 61

I seem to remember that when they announced the micro-transaction model that they were going to make it so you could unlock all the DLC content just by playing the game and spending the in-game currency. However, now that it's out, the characters I don't already own cost Auric Cells which in turn costs money. (And a silly amount I might add. 500 AC to unlock a single character and 500 AC costs $5.00. With that pricing, you're better off buying the DLC outright, though i digress).

So, my question is, did they change their minds about being able to unlock killers and survivors by playing? Has it just not been implemented yet? Or maybe it's only for older characters and newer ones are still behind a paywall, meaning I have to wait a bit longer? Or maybe I'm just going crazy and I fabricated this entire thing in my head (ie: I'm just remembering wrong. lol).

Comments

• Iodine
    Iodine Member Posts: 15

lol yeah seems fishy

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,487

You can unlock original characters with 9000 Iridescent Shards each (Ace, Hag, Feng, Doctor, Kate, Clown).

Licensed characters are Auric Cell only.

• HermanTheDoctor
    HermanTheDoctor Member Posts: 212
    edited June 2018

@Coriander said:
    Licensed characters are tied to their copyrighted owners, and must be purchased with money (which in part goes to the owner). The BHVR-created content can be purchased with Shards, earned by playing. Kate and the Clown can both be purchased using Shards, as well as the future game-created DLC Chapters.

Youre right.

BHVR told us every time, we need to buy Licensed characters. All Original Killer and Survivor you can buy with iridesent shards.

Post edited by HermanTheDoctor on
  • Casm
    Casm Member Posts: 61
    Thank you all very much for the response, that makes a lot of sense.
  • Kuris
    Kuris Member Posts: 228
    edited July 2018

Also, buying with money will unlock you exclusive skins (eventually, when they are added) as an added bonus to using real money.

This doesnt apply for licensed obviously

• Jmayeux
    Jmayeux Member Posts: 18

It is cheaper to buy the DLC outright than al la carte with Shards. In addition, you get an exclusive skin for Kate.