The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The Rift Is TENTATIVE: Voice Your Opposition!

weirdkid5
weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

If you look closely in the roadmap, in the first section that shows when the Rift is coming, you can see the term "tentative" under it. For those that lack the vocabulary, this means "not set in stone."

Not sure if they mean the release date or The Rift itself in general, but let us begin to voice our opinions on this. Personally, I absolutely abhor Battle Pass systems. Time exclusives in any video game, especially one I spent money on, is absolutely ludicrous. I have several games I am in nowadays, and a Battle Pass does not make me want to come back to the game, because I do not wish to grind out what is usually required for these kinds of systems.

Free to play games are one thing, but unless you can actually buy this Pass with Shards, it is absurd, and even then, it is still absurd for this type of game. First, the devs take from Siege'a roadmap system, now we are gonna hop on the Fortnite train for Battle Passes?

I was super excited for everything except this. The Freddy rework looks awesome, the Archives looks awesome, there are some great things coming to DbD. But The Rift is NOT something that belongs into this game.

Discuss.

Comments

• rch614
    rch614 Member Posts: 551

Not mixing them up. I meant it ties into the Archives really well. The rift also adds more story-based skins in addition to what you get from the Archive itself. It complements it. It's a battle pass that complements a soon-to-be baseline feature of the game.

I, for one, like exclusive cosmetics but either way we're getting a lot of new skins.

And buying it is completely unnecessary if you don't want to. From the looks of things, you can spend shards as well.

I think it's a win-win tbh

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,442

The ability to gain the cosmetics outside of the battle pass such as in the store, or making it non-timegated, is important to not encourage unhealthy play patterns (= playing too much to grind out the pass before it expires)

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

Until I go and see the possible price for Shards, that could require me to put dozens of hours into the game just to get the priviledge of getting timed exclusive stuff. No thank you, Battle Passes are almost as bad as loot boxes in terms of predatory practices.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,442

Thank you, that is exactly what I am talking about. And the devs plan to release something like this every 3 months if I remember correctly from the chart.

• AStupidMonkeyy
    AStupidMonkeyy Member Posts: 718

I 100% agree with you. I'll buy it when I like the cosmetics. If I don't like them, I won't buy. It's not hard to figure out. If you are hellbent on buying EVERY cosmetic, even the ugly ones, be my guest but don't act like a voice of reason just because you're too broke or don't have the time to buy EVERY single cosmetic. I'll be happy to gloat on a skin that you will NEVER have as long as you play C; RIP Legacy but at least I'll get a different skin that new players won't have after. I can't wait for the battlepass :D Give me my exclusives :D

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

I don't like the idea of exclusive , forcing people to play more because of stuff like this shouldn't be a thing .

It also seem to go against what they initially did with events, they used to be exclusive and then changed so you could buy recent event items with cells (Wich i'm fine with)

People saying "Seasons are long, you have enough time to get it" or "Just don't buy it" don't answer the question and should really start thinking of actual answers to spice up the discussion, and no, personnal attacks because of different opinions aren't answers either, common mistake i know.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

I have no problem with it if it is just cosmetics like they said, skins are non essential and no big deal.

Some skins are already behind a pay wall.

If someone wishes to pay for it that is what they decide, dont blame a business for trying to get extra revenue when the choice is yours to make.

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367

I don't mind that it's just cosmetics but I still don't think that a battle pass was necessary in DBD.

• holywhitetrash
    holywhitetrash Member Posts: 289

its been a while since hallowed blight so i don't remember how long i spent on it but i do remember survivor side went very quickly and once they made all the tiers accessible from both killer and survivor sides finishing off the tiers went very quickly as well

on expecting "access" to all content i assume you mean ability to pay for and not ability to get for free, because expecting to get anything the devs made after game launch for free is the most entitled you can be

DBD is a versus game and everyone who plays versus games play expecting to get better at them which means they want to be better than some one else.

if the cosmetics in the battlepass aren't exclusive then what would be the point of doing the quests and challenges that come with the battlepass since i could just buy the exact cosmetic i wanted and not do those things?

• Kabu
    Kabu Member Posts: 926

If you don't think you have enough time to make the battle pass worth it then don't invest in buying one. For those who can and want to complete the pass will. Even if it offers exclusives, guess what? They payed for and put the time in. It gives it more value. If it was all available yo everyone it would cheapen it's value. Make it seem less special.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

If it works like other battle passes then you can buy it at any time and whatever you've unlocked you will now own. Meaning you can wait until you get the cosmetics you like or wait till the end of the season to decide whether or not it's worth your money.

If it's not like that then I would be pretty pissed.

• TheGameZpro3
    TheGameZpro3 Member Posts: 699

As long as the charms are not in the premium pass, I'm cool.

I just really LOVE the idea of charms in the game, so if a single one is locked behind a pay wall (unless it was just a sign saying "Season 1 Rift Pass," because it's stupid, and just a bragging right) I will freak the foop out.

Nevertheless, I'll most likely still buy it because of Dwight and Ace cosmetics I can't miss.

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

Same as other battle passes too, (Dota particularly springs to mind) you can absolutely guarantee that the cosmetics locked behind a paywall will be on a completely different tier to the free stuff.

Just a guess, but I'd expect the paid pass stuff to be more like Hag's Cabbage and Mud Medusa sets that are basically full remodels, where playing for free will be recolours of defaults.

• StarMoral
    StarMoral Member Posts: 938

Both versions can be earned through gameplay. IE, the 'paid' version is likely to be purchased with money or shards.

Even then, there is still a free version, both containing COSMETICS ONLY.

• Ramxenoc445
    Ramxenoc445 Member Posts: 1,358

I love the idea. I want reason to play other than i just like the game and its fun. I need something i want to get or achieve.

• SpaceCoconut
    SpaceCoconut Member Posts: 1,962

The Archives are free and amazing.

The Rift is paid and predatory.

There's a difference between the two you might want to consider before you troll some more.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

What is the Rift?

• StarMoral
    StarMoral Member Posts: 938

The rift is not paid or predatory.

Hence the free version and the "earnable through gameplay" mechanics in both versions.

Knock it off.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,291

I just wanna throw this out there... They've given us FREE DLCs before, and said they'll do it whenever they can afford to. If a "battle pass" system with cosmetic only things can earn them money... We might see more Free DLCs.

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454

I personally can’t wait for it. give me rewards for the 40 hours a week I dump into this game as my mmo replacement.

• Cardgrey

Lol that’s cheap try ff11 it’s 60 on release 40 for zilert 60 for cop then 10 for each for the 3 add ons then 49 for toua 60 for Wotg 60 for seekers on top of a 15$ a month sub

u act like this game is expensive lol

• rch614

This isn't an MMORPG.

Anyway I do think what a lot of people are missing is that this battle pass isn't like most of the others in that you absolutely must pay for the premium track. You get three choices here

> Pay with your wallet

> Pay with your time (big grind)

> Ignore it and play normally

Even with option 3 you'll probably be able to get most of the early premiums. 3 months is a long time for this type of thing.

TLDR; if you want something, buy or grind for it. Otherwise, ignore it. They are just cosmetics. Not even blood points.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

I wasn't here for the stream, but assuming it's like other battlepasses, I'll say this

I'm fine with these as long as they give us some opportunity to earn the premium ones for free if we complete the free one, to reward players who play a lot.

• rch614

They do. They said it's earnable via playtime. Meaning iridescent shards most likely

• tburke360
    tburke360 Member Posts: 7

I hardly doubt they will remove it no matter how much we want which sucks. I already hate how grindy the cosmetic shop and leveling system is and really miss the days of just buying the cosmetic dlc packs such as the bloodstained sack and 80's suitcase.

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,092
    edited June 2019

@rch614 From what I saw on the stream, there's a paid version and a non-paid version. The paid version gives you the opportunity to grind for exclusive cosmetics(much like Fortnite's battlepass). They did not say that you could get the paid cosmetics for free in any way. They said you could get exclusive cosmetics if you had the paid version. You're paying with your time either way, and if you want the exclusive cosmetics you have to ALSO pay with your money. This is the problem with battle passes. They give you a time frame to complete the battle pass, and if you don't complete it within that time frame, you miss out on the very items that you likely bought the battle pass for. I originally liked battle passes, because I was getting nice outfits either way in Fortnite, but after playing for some time, I realized I was never completing the battle pass, and the skins got more and more extravagant, eventually giving an individual outfit evolved versions as you grinded, the problem was these time frames were usually ridiculous unless you were already really good at the game and played for a huge amount of time, generally too much time. Fortnite's battle pass actually eventually drove me from playing the game completely, because I never had the time to grind out a full battle pass, even if I was playing pretty consistently. The most I ever got was like 60 something/100 levels. You should never have to pay extra to grind for the POTENTIAL to get something you're paying for, it's a terrible business model, and if you DO have to pay to grind for something, it should give you a reasonable time frame to do so. By reasonable time, I mean like within a week, because people can buy battle passes at ANY time, including right at the end. Either way, this business model is exactly like any other battle pass's business model. The only difference from what I can see is that you can use blood points instead of actual money to progress instead of doing the grind. Any other Battle Pass had it where in order to progress without an insane amount of grind time, you had to actually buy tiers. So you were paying to grind, and then paying to alleviate the grind. The biggest possible issue with the idea of this battle pass is the determination of how long you'd need to be playing to complete it. If it's not terribly long then it won't be as ridiculous of an idea as it's making itself out to be, and I'm hoping these challenges aren't so ridiculous that I have to play 5 or more games just to progress one node. That Trapper one doesn't fill me with confidence however.

• rch614

@Atrushan88

Rewatching the stream (for any interested, the part where they explain free/paid is at 1:01:30), I do see your point. I saw accessible via playtime and jumped to that conclusion.

As for your second point, we don't know how extensive DBD's battlepass will be or how long the average player will take to complete it. I do think 3 months is plenty of time and helps with the lull between chapters. And as for the people buying the battlepass near the end of its season, I believe that's their fault. But I wouldn't mind, as others in this thread have said, a compensation system for people that ran out of time. Using your idea, if someone bought the battlepass near the end of its season, the game could compensate by giving them a week+ extension to grind it out.

But yeah again I and many others jumped to the conclusion that the paid version would be earnable with shards and there's no proof either way of that yet. Behavior didn't give that much info. Thanks for pointing that out

• Cardgrey

In the words of asmongold...

just because u buy the game does not mean u deserve all of its rewards.

• Cardgrey

@rch614

MMO - an online video game which can be played by a very large number of people simultaneously.

i wonder how many people play this at the same time?

• rch614

@Cardgrey

I said MMORPG.

You compared this game to an entirely different genre that uses an entirely different business model.

These two games are incomparible.

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,092
    edited June 2019

@rch614 Np, I mean it MAY be possible that you can get the paid version of the battlepass with iridescent shards, but I kind of doubt it. I don't even mind a battle pass, as long as the time required to complete it isn't even close to the amount of time that it takes for it to end. The grind isn't a huge problem, it's that generally battle passes make the grind impossibly hard for one reason, for you to pay extra to progress faster. It's much like a pyramid scheme. If you're paying for a battle pass, you shouldn't have a situation where you're made to panic spend because you want to get everything that battle pass has to offer for that 3 months. As long as no scummy tactics are made to the battle pass, it's fine. But if they put you on a very tense race against the clock, and give you the option to alleviate that stress by paying them more money, THEN I have a problem with it. If it gives you an actual REASONABLE time frame to complete, then there's no real reason to complain, but I haven't seen a battle pass do that yet. If DBD does, it'll probably be the first. Of course, like you said, it should also compensate people who buy the battle pass late, or at least make it where you can no longer buy the battle pass if you've passed the time frame where you could reasonably complete it.