New-ish player, looking for tips! (Pig main)

Options

I’ve started playing recently, I’ve seen a lot of YouTube plays and have read up a bit on perks, but thought would be good to have an actual discussion about perks and tactics.

pig is my main, seems to be somewhat of an unpopular choice but I loved the saw franchise and am actually really enjoying Pig and the stealth ability & RBT mechanic plus I’m a big fan of make your choice & surveillance perks. But I’m curious as to why Pig is so widely disliked, and what perks would help her out? DLC wise I have huntress too, and was tempted by cannibal for bbq & chilli, what perks are worth unlocking from other killers? And tips for Pig and just in general pls!

Im not doing bad so far, only been playing a week but 9/10 games am getting the quad, but I know if I want to aim for higher ranks i’ll have to up my game. Currently rank 14.

Comments

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited June 2019
    Options

Why she is disliked - Traps are inconsistent at their intended ability to stall, and ambush is not good outside of certain loops. Certainly does not stop me from playing the heck out of her, though.

What perks would help her out - Mostly the perks that are good on just about anyone. Hex: Ruin, BBQ&C, Nurse's Calling + Sloppy Butcher, Spirit Fury + Enduring, Monitor and Abuse, Whispers. Of the three perks she starts with, Surveillance is easily the best IMO. She's not the best character to use it with, but it's not a bad perk overall.

• screamdreamsx
    screamdreamsx Member Posts: 213
    Options

I agree traps are rather frustrating when a survivor gets it off almost instantly after being unhooked, although I like some of the add one like exposed and haemorrhaged but again is annoying that they don’t stay like that long.

which of those perks aren’t killer specific, I know ruin & nurses calling are nurse but I’m not too familiar with the others. I want to level up pig a bit before I switch to another to unlock their perks, seems like a major grind

I currently run w NOED, surveillance, make your choice and bitter murmur.

• toxicmegg
    toxicmegg Member Posts: 662
    Options

i know i'm not a killer main and i only play legion, but i would say use whatever perks you currently feel good with. after you have leveled up pig you could play Hag to get hex ruin, or nurse but she can be hard to learn though. as a legion main i would say discordance is also a great perk.

• screamdreamsx
    Options

Yeah I always use discordance when I play kill your friends and yup tried nurse and I’m awful with then blink, is legion a good/fun killer to play as? If I buy another dlc it would be between legion and plague

• toxicmegg
    toxicmegg Member Posts: 662
    Options

yes. i love legion even though they got nerfed recently but again, this is only my opinion. feral frenzy is good for slowing down the game as it requires survivors to mend themselves and especially with sloppy butcher it's good and fun. i love it when i detect dwights in lockers with the feral frenzy XD. but um yeah i would pick legion over plague, as plague's perks are pretty trash too

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,511
    Options

At your rank she's completely viable and you shouldn't worry. Play her if you enjoy her.

The reason she isn't as popular is because once you get to higher ranks she isn't viable.

Sometimes her traps will waste good time but sometimes they won't. This inconsistency bothers a lot of people myself included.

Her ambush is basically trash. Aside from some very, very small instances you're better off just uncrouching and going for the basic attack in 90% of the cases. The ambush just takes too long, gives too much of a warning to the survivors ahead of time, can be counter played quite easily even without using perks to do so and you lose a lot of time if you miss with it.

Her crouch view point is also too low to where it limits her view too much and slows her down a lot. You will use the crouch just very sparingly.

She also has a lot of lackluster addons.

The biggest factor in determining if a killer is viable at high ranks is if they can counter looping. Pig doesn't. Some will argue you can counter certain loops with her ambush but generally that isn't working against good high rank survivors, hence why she is still fine at lower ranks.

• screamdreamsx
    Options

Yeah, I see your points. I think the crouch mechanism does need work and the bear traps need to be harder to remove . I think for now I enjoy her enough to keep playing but I know I’m gonna have to give her up at some point :(