If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Soul at Stake: A DBD ripoff that deals with gen rushing.

Options
No_Mither_No_Problem
No_Mither_No_Problem Member Posts: 1,476
edited July 2018 in General Discussions

For those of you who don't know what Soul at Stake is, it's a blatant Dead By Daylight ripoff. It steals several mechanics, adds some others, and overall just plays terrible, especially since the "Killer" of the game is actually SLOWER than the "Survivors" and the Survs have a permanent Dead Hard with no cooldown.

However, one thing that SAS does better than Dead By Daylight is countering gen rushing.

See, in SAS, the Gamblers (Survs) need to escape the Devil (Killer) by filling out these things called card holders (generators). Each card holder needs to be fully satisfied for it to be completed. How do you satisfy a card holder? You give it cards. But wait, that's not the end of it. You only have a limited number of cards. There's a shop area on the map where Gamblers can buy more cards. They get money for cards by filling up holders with the cards they have. Different cards have different values, and the larger the value of a card, the longer it takes to put it into a card holder. The various values are a key factor, because to complete a card holder it needs a value of EXACTLY 21.

This means that satisfying the holders takes quite a long amount of time, between calculating what cards are needed, buying them, earning money to buy them at all, and actually repairing the gen.

I think if DBD implemented some sort of mechanic like this, it would be a simply ingenious way to stop gen rushing. Here's my personal idea.

Survivors start off the trial with one part each. A part repairs 25% of a generator. For every Bloodpoint Survs earn repairing gens (including good and great Skill Checks but not including co-op repair bonuses), they gain an equal value of a different point system. With these points, they can visit a store (one to four per map, affected by offerings, default is two; auras revealed by Deja Vu) where they can buy new parts for 200 points each. Failing Skill Checks will cause a large amount of point loss. If a Survivor is in a position where they have no part and cannot buy one, their "part points" will automatically go up at 5 points a second until they have 200 points, at which time they can go buy a new part. Alternatively, Survivors with parts to spare can press "F" on other Survivors to give them their parts. If a Surv is sacrificed, any parts they're holding are permanently lost.

Toolboxes will still increase gen repair speed, but also decrease the efficiency of part usage so that you still need 4 parts per generator (the idea behind this is that since they're just tools, they help with the installation of parts).

Do you like this idea or have any tweaks/ideas of your own?

Comments

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
    Options

So copy the copyright safe game? Sounds like a bad idea to be honest. Though gen rush definitly needs something

• JusticeZERO
    JusticeZERO Member Posts: 171
    Options

If you wanted to do something similar to the "get these cards thing" then you'd be in the Friday the 13th "camp" where they are finding supplies to repair things vs going to an objective and only doing skill checks.

Because i don't see the entity running a shop lol

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    Options

@JusticeZERO said:
    If you wanted to do something similar to the "get these cards thing" then you'd be in the Friday the 13th "camp" where they are finding supplies to repair things vs going to an objective and only doing skill checks.

It already does, actually.

It's called the Bloodweb.

• JusticeZERO
    Options

@No_Mither_No_Problem said:

@JusticeZERO said:

So you would need to buy the generator parts prior in the bloodweb? You werent talking about "Soul at Stake" where they have a shop on map?

• JusticeZERO
    Options

I wouldnt call the Bloodweb a shop ran by the entity like its standing there like the RE4 merchant "Whattaya buying?"

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    Options

@JusticeZERO said:

@JusticeZERO said:

So you would need to buy the generator parts prior in the bloodweb? You werent talking about "Soul at Stake" where they have a shop on map?

@JusticeZERO said:
    I wouldnt call the Bloodweb a shop ran by the entity like its standing there like the RE4 merchant "Whattaya buying?"

Your original argument was that the Entity doesn't seem like the kind of guy to run a shop. I'm simply saying he already does in the form of the Bloodweb. So yes, he'd totally have a shop out.

And if you're gonna make the argument that the Bloodweb isn't a shop, the devs are actually trying to incorporate the existence of the store currency, Auric Cells, into the lore.

Quote from Vigo's notebook:
    "Very little is known of The Entity's biological workings and the exact purpose of the Auric Cell still eludes me. There are nevertheless strong correlations to be made between the Cell and The Entity's faculty to shape the world that imprisons us. Are they the primordial building blocks to everything we see within The Fog? Can we harness their power?"

In our eyes, the Auric Cells are run by the devs. In the eyes of the Survs/Killers, they're run by the Entity.

If the thing literally titled "store" isn't some kind of shop, I don't know what is.

• JusticeZERO
    Options

Alright its a store, he's a shopkeeper.

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    Options

@JusticeZERO said:

Yes. And by the way, you don't need to stand by and run your shop to be a shopkeeper. the shops in SAS aren't run by anybody. If you own the shop and you have a method of making customers pay for what they want rather than just taking it, you're all good.

• JusticeZERO
    Options

@JusticeZERO said:

Yes. And by the way, you don't need to stand by and run your shop to be a shopkeeper. the shops in SAS aren't run by anybody. If you own the shop and you have a method of making customers pay for what they want rather than just taking it, you're all good.

Survivors are just going to pay in teabags and run out. Isnt Nea a criminal with her urban evasion? :chuffed:

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    Options

@JusticeZERO said:

@JusticeZERO said:

Survivors are just going to pay in teabags and run out. Isnt Nea a criminal with her urban evasion? :chuffed:

The Entity doesn't consider teabagging a method of currency. No part points, no Auric Cells, no Bloodpoints, no service.

• JusticeZERO
    Options

@JusticeZERO said:

@JusticeZERO said:

The Entity doesn't consider teabagging a method of currency. No part points, no Auric Cells, no Bloodpoints, no service.

He's gonna need security

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    Options

@JusticeZERO said:

@JusticeZERO said:

@JusticeZERO said:

He's gonna need security

I mean, he does have you're-inside-a-reality-that-I-fabricated insurance. Cheap AND effective.

• Prons
    Prons Member Posts: 2
    Options

What I love about SAS is the killers can teleport, which means it won't have the DBD problem where the Nurse and Hillbilly are in their own league above other killers.

• Someissues
    Someissues Member Posts: 1,604
    Options

I wouldn't call it a complete rip off, yes DBD inspired it very clearly but it's gameplay mechanics are not the same, since they deal with cards to seal the demon which permanently kills him

and it also has Asian Characters so...

nevertheless the Devs could learn something from playing this game, the gen rushing thing counter is really good as you have said

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
    Options

@Someissues said:
    I wouldn't call it a complete rip off, yes DBD inspired it very clearly but it's gameplay mechanics are not the same, since they deal with cards to seal the demon which permanently kills him

and it also has Asian Characters so...

nevertheless the Devs could learn something from playing this game, the gen rushing thing counter is really good as you have said

Feng Min feels personally attacked now

• Someissues
    Options

@Jack11803 said:
    Feng Min feels personally attacked now

It kinda sucks that all characters are Chinese, no whites, black, hispanic etc. One of the things i like on this game is the camera restriction when you do gens, so it's actually scary since you cannot see the killer from behind, same with healing etc

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,104
    Options

I've seen it, and yeah it's one of those "clones" but I love the aesthetic of it. I wish it would get a bigger budget and more polish, then come over here. No hate on DBD, I love it and will continue to play regardless.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

There'snot many games like the Friday the 13tth and DBD. There's games that has tried white noise 2, and many more failures yet when "last year" comes out, I think ti will give DBD a run for it's money. plus, eventually DBD will be the king of this genre or a king will submerge sooner than we think.

• Someissues
    Options

@MrChills said:
    There'snot many games like the Friday the 13tth and DBD. There's games that has tried white noise 2, and many more failures yet when "last year" comes out, I think ti will give DBD a run for it's money. plus, eventually DBD will be the king of this genre or a king will submerge sooner than we think.

DBD is obviously a superior game, on this game they actually made the killer slower than the Survivors, but they can teleport to gens. The only downsides is that Survivors have infinite dead hards, meaning they can dodge every single of your hits, and if they are veterans who played DBD with over 2k hours they will never die unless they get bell'd

still if none of the survivors ever gets hit in a match the game is over for the killer, it needs some heavy polishing and more players

• Runiver
    Runiver Member Posts: 2,095
    Options

A very average game so far, with some decent features however.
    I like the fact you can actually surprise survivors as killer. Tho the infinite dead hard, the bell and such are very discutable.