We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Favourite Horror Film/Franchise?

Options
Bint
Bint Member Posts: 60

Lets be honest, we're all horror fans here, right? What's your all time favourite horror film/movie or even franchise if there is one for it?

I LOVE Guillermo Del Toro's Pans Labyrinth. My right leg is covered with massive tattoos of the faun and the pale man from the film! I guess it's more of a fantasy/horror type thing than a straight up slasher, but everything about it is just so beautiful!

Comments

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

Nightmare on Elm Street.

It's the only reason I main Freddy.

• Bint
    Options

@Mc_Harty said:
    Nightmare on Elm Street.

It's the only reason I main Freddy.

Controversial, I know, but I really don't mind Freddy as a killer! I mean, he's very "all or nothing" in terms of kills etc, but the perk that shuts off the exit gates when a survivor is hooked after they're opened? Man, when it works its brilliant! It's just a shame it is so situational.

What are your feelings on the Springwood level?

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293
    Options

@Bint said:
    Controversial, I know, but I really don't mind Freddy as a killer! I mean, he's very "all or nothing" in terms of kills etc, but the perk that shuts off the exit gates when a survivor is hooked after they're opened? Man, when it works its brilliant! It's just a shame it is so situational.

What are your feelings on the Springwood level?

Its one of my favorite maps.

Most of the generators spawn around the school so you'll only have to guard on one side of the map. Its pretty good if you don't consistently chase survivors.

• deadwolfwalking
    deadwolfwalking Member Posts: 624
    Options

when i was 8 my grandparents took me to see Night Of The Living Dead in a drive-in theatre. they had no interest in seeing it so they left me alone in the car and went to the snackbar.... i had never been so freaked out and scared in my life. it was such a rush.... from then on, i've been a zombie fanatic and i never miss a NOTLD remake, sequel or reboot.... :D

• RSB
    RSB Member Posts: 2,258
    edited May 2018
    Options

I do not consider it as a horror, but "The Saw", it is brilliant. I like "The Thing" too, "Dead Silence", "Jeepers Creepers", "Friday the 13th", "Nightmare on Elm Street" and "Halloween". There are more and more good, horror films that I cannot recall.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,785
    Options

It's not often considered an horror somehow, but the first Alien is hands down my favourite.

• Queen_Shepis
    Queen_Shepis Member Posts: 39
    Options

The original Wrong Turn, NoE except the remake and Dead Snow

• Bint
    Options

@White_Owl said:
    It's not often considered an horror somehow, but the first Alien is hands down my favourite.

Nice choice! Daft question but have you played Alien: Isolation? SO GOOD

• Bint
    Options

Any J-Horror fans out there?

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,785
    Options

@Bint said:

@White_Owl said:

Nice choice! Daft question but have you played Alien: Isolation? SO GOOD

I'm playing it in this period... until now I'm loving it

• Samantha
    Samantha Member Posts: 20
    Options

"It" the 1990 version terrified me. Tim curry did such a wonderful job.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,945
    edited May 2018
    Options

It's hard to choose an outright favorite. I try to watch about forty-fifty a year (of course about half of them are garbage) so picking one from so many is tough. As far as the classics go, or at least the ones in DBD, my favorite is Halloween II.

• DrDannieburger
    DrDannieburger Member Posts: 57
    Options

Halloween ftw. I don't play Shape that much, but it always gets me hyped with the themed music and stuff. So cool!

• Techn0
    Techn0 Member Posts: 405
    Options

Hands down my favorite film is The Fly. As far as more gory things go I'm a sucker for saw.

• Bradcore
    Bradcore Member Posts: 68
    Options

A Nightmare on Elm Street has always been my favorite. However, I gotta be honest, the Insidious series is a close second. I don't jump easy and normally laugh during most horror flicks, but that scene at the table in the first Insidious really freaked me out. It still unsettles me just thinking about it. My wife teases me about it because she is very easily scared and that's the once scene she thought was hilarious.

• Bayside
    Bayside Member Posts: 40
    Options

Die-hard Alien fan here, through and through. Saw is my second favorite, but Alien is just so fascinating, scary, and cool to me. I would love an Alien Chapter, but I doubt it'll ever happen. Still, a boy can dream.

• Uncomfortable
    Uncomfortable Member Posts: 15
    Options

Probably Saw. The plot is a problem for a lot of people, but it's actually my favorite part. I love how a minor character or point from a few movies before all of a sudden become important.

• JakubSobek
    JakubSobek Member Posts: 5
    Options

I always thought i would never see another Alien fan ever again, it is so underrated nowadays!

• Bradcore
    Bradcore Member Posts: 68
    Options

@JakubSobek said:
    I always thought i would never see another Alien fan ever again, it is so underrated nowadays!

I think one of the reasons Alien doesn't get mentioned too often among favorite horror movies is because the series as a whole doesn't really fit the genre. Alien was a fantastic horror movie. Aliens worked so great as a sequel because it decided to be an action movie instead of a horror movie. In fact, it's one of the few movies I can think of that successfully jumped genres.

Here is where the problem lies. You have the first two fantastic movies and they're two different genres. All of the movies following didn't really seem to know what they wanted to be. Alien 3 tried to get back to being horror and I applaud it's efforts, but it just didn't work nearly as well as the original. Alien Resurrection tried to be action, and not only was it not as good as Aliens, it was just plain weird at times. AVP one and two were both dumb (but fun) action. While Prometheus and Alien Covenant were both good movies, neither felt like they fit within the horror genre. So out of a franchise of eight movies, you have two horror movies and only one of them does it well.

• RuneStarr
    RuneStarr Member Posts: 850
    Options

Tie between Hellraiser and Evil Dead for franchises.

Hellraiser is just awesome all around (ignoring Revelations/Great Value Pinhead), but Evil Dead (2 being my favorite) has the campy b horror humor that I adore.

Honestly it was hard to even narrow it down to 2 franchises, there's so many good ones (never mind just individual movies).

• Creature_of_the_fog
    Creature_of_the_fog Member Posts: 3
    Options

Halloween all the way!

• Baxterchen
    Baxterchen Member Posts: 60
    Options

Evil dead was the first series to get me into horror! love it!

• Sprink
    Sprink Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2018
    Options

@Bint said:
    Any J-Horror fans out there?

Funny you mention. One of my favorite horror movies is Noroi: The Curse. Great take on the "Found footage" genre.

As for my favorite Franchise, I'm partial to the Halloween series. Not so much past the first 4 movies but interested in the apparent 2018 film.

• olibob06
    olibob06 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Bint said:

Lets be honest, we're all horror fans here, right? What's your all time favourite horror film/movie or even franchise if there is one for it?

I LOVE Guillermo Del Toro's Pans Labyrinth. My right leg is covered with massive tattoos of the faun and the pale man from the film! I guess it's more of a fantasy/horror type thing than a straight up slasher, but everything about it is just so beautiful!

I love the original Halloween.
  • Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,743
    Options

Halloween. Really excited for the new one coming out this year.

• Bluekiller
    Bluekiller Member Posts: 1
    Options

Halloween ! Only the original two movies and the H2O . I'm in love with Laurie <3 Ps: Can't wait the new movie!!!!

• Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650
    Options

I'm a huge Child's Play franchise fan. (Yep, didn't say "Chucky".)

After Child's Play, I'd go with Friday the 13th stuff... after that ... I love stuff like Strangers and Halloween etc...

I'm a huge Slasher fan overall. I'd rather not list them all.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

First I wanted to post an ironical answer that the thread should be in off topic because DBD isnt a horror game anymore, then I realized that it already is :)

• Taka94
    Taka94 Member Posts: 8
    Options

I am a fan of these franchises as well:

• Child's Play
    • Friday the 13th
    • Halloween
    • Scream

I am a fan of many other franchises but these are the ones that really stick out for me.

• BurgerKingEmployee
    BurgerKingEmployee Member Posts: 34
    Options

How is this even a question? Halloween, of course! I loved that franchise.

• BurgerKingEmployee
    BurgerKingEmployee Member Posts: 34
    Options

@BurgerKingEmployee said:
    How is this even a question? Halloween, of course! I loved that franchise.

Forgot to mention, I also loved Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it was really cheesy but i still enjoyed it.

• Spork
    Spork Member Posts: 122
    Options

Hard to pick a favorite, but Saw is the most interesting to me, I enjoyed seeing all the traps.

• Michael_Myers
    Michael_Myers Member Posts: 104
    Options

Halloween. It was a big part in kicking off the slasher genre. Before it all you have is vampires, werewolves, and other monsters. After Halloween you have Jason, Freddy, and a lot more. Also, Rob Zombie's Halloween remakes are not in anyway connected to the REAL Halloween franchise. That crap was just embarrassing and should just be wiped from existence.