The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Am I The Only One Experiencing Mouse Clicks Not Registering?

Not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this, but as of recently I have started noticing that some of my M1 and M2 clicks are not registering.

This occurs basically every match now.

It has gotten to the point where I can't effectively play killer. Having your mouse clicks fail during crucial moments can cost you the match.

Survivor isn't as bad because I have only noticed it while trying to repair a gen or use a flashlight. I don't have to use a flashlight and hiccups involving the generator are only a minor annoyance.

For the record, I'm almost certain that my mouse isn't the problem. I have tried different USB slots and different mice all together. Also, I have no other programs or software running in the background. And still, the problem persists.

Just wanted to know if I'm the only one experiencing this?

Comments

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

@EntityDispleased I'm not sure what you mean by editing gameusersettings.

This problem hasn't really occurred until recently. And by the looks of it, I am not the only one experiencing this.

• Mister_Holdout

Same. My mouse was working fine while playing For Honor.

• Mister_Holdout

@EntityDispleased Then why has it become so severe recently?

Also, what settings did you tweak to get the problem to stop? Make sure you explain the process in baby steps. I very seldom tamper with my game files.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651

Oh, ok then, maybe I'll wait a bit before buying a new mouse. I also have the problem seemingly only in DbD.

• MarksmanSpecal
    MarksmanSpecal Member Posts: 117

It´s actually more annoying than it was the last patches.

Occures a few times a match and drives me crazy, especially cause i´m maining Nurse.

The problem of not recognizing M1 clicks only happens playing DBD, other games work well, so it´s definitly not a problem of the mouse.

• Alfred
    Alfred Member Posts: 272

If you are using 4k maybe 2k resolution the problem is following:

During game-play the cursor is invisible and you are in window even if you set game to full-screen. What usually happens is you rotated/moved right which caused your invisible cursor move out of the window and all click will be ignored until you move/rotate left. (or vice versa)

You can rebind your mouse buttons to keyboard or change the resolution to full HD.

First time reported in 2016. Welcome in 2019.

• Decarcassor
    Decarcassor Member Posts: 651

So I apparently fixed the problem by removing the upscaling of fonts and stuff in the windows display settings. Set it to default 100% and I haven't experienced missed input. Yet.

• burntFuse
    burntFuse Member Posts: 290

I gave this a try and it seems to have helped. The down side is I got to get used to reading smaller fonts (playing on a TV so I'm pretty far from the screen.) But on the plus side, my display is a hell of a lot more crisp. So I'm putting all the blame on this one on whatever lazy routine Window's font scaling is actually running. Still would appreciate if these guys could make a game fix for this problem.

• ColgateAdvancedWhite
    ColgateAdvancedWhite Member Posts: 616

I have not yet encountered such an issue. I am quite surprised to learn that removing upscaling of fonts could affect thist

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

@Decarcassor I can confirm that your solution worked! Reducing scaling to 100% in display settings fixes this issue.

Except now I have to deal with a down-scaled display 😅

• burntFuse
    burntFuse Member Posts: 290

Just shows that you can never be sure where programming conflicts will pop up. Street Fighter V can have frequent crashes because of a conflict with certain drawing tablet drivers.

• zhongyx4869
    zhongyx4869 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2019

Same issue here. It's pretty annoying and I didn't get this issue before. I am pretty sure this is related to the window resize.

If you play in window/non-full-screen mode, you move your mouse to the right or bottom in the game, you click your M1/M2, hold it down and then drag it, then you will resize the window and your mouse click won't be registered in the game! I don't think this is expected; otherwise, no one can play in window mode.

Now, I believe what happens in the full-screen mode is that, you move your mouse to the right or bottom, although you cannot resize the "window" since it's full screen, you still trigger the "resize" feature and your mouse click won't be recognized as well! I guess this is what happens and it annoyed me a lot in the past few days since I am also a nurse main.

Not sure if devs are aware of this issue. Shall we forward this post to bug reports?

• zhongyx4869
    zhongyx4869 Member Posts: 5

We have a post in bug reports: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/76042/m1-m2-not-registering#latest

@Alfred I think this time it is not related to the 4k monitor. I am playing dbd on my laptop with a latest Win10 OS. The resolution of my display is 1920 * 1080. But my "size of text, apps and other items" is indeed 125%, which is above 100%. Setting it to 100% does make the issue gone, but it also forces me to play with a smaller window even if I set it to "full screen". So I am not satisfied with the workaround actually... Hope devs can fix this issue soon.

• Slayer
    Slayer Member Posts: 1,148

Only after blinking sometimes i cant hit.

• Alfred
    Alfred Member Posts: 272
    edited July 2019

@zhongyx4869

You are partly right but if someone is using 4k resolution he has "change size of all items" at least 150-200%

For example I had 4k windows resolution with 200% CSoAI and the game run full HD with mouse click problem.

when I change to 4k windows 100% CSoAI game run in 4k with no problem.

Now I have 2k windows 100% CSoAI game run in 2k with no problem.

But you cannot expect from users to have unreadable text in windows because some weirdo code in DBD...

Post edited by Alfred on
  • TreSen
    TreSen Member Posts: 186
    edited December 2019

Just played around with this issue myself and I believe there is another fix rather than just setting your scaling to 100% in Display Settings.

You may also navigate to the DbD install location (Steam: ..\steamapps\common\Dead by Daylight) and right click for Properties, click "Change settings for all users", "Change high DPI settings", then check "Override high DPI scaling behavior." and set the following option to "Application".

Apply and exit. The game should behave as if you did set scaling to 100% but you don't have to actually change it every time you open and close the game. Would love to know if this works for anyone else.

(Note: This may also visually improve the game and make it look sharper)

• TreSen
    TreSen Member Posts: 186

Did you want me to make a whole new thread about the same bug that's been here since 2016 when this thread is only a few months old?

I mean if you literally just read the post you would have answered your own question ...

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Yes, if you wanted to get the info out, a new post would've been better.

• tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539
    edited December 2019
  • tortrader
    tortrader Member Posts: 539
    edited December 2019

Something that worked for me:

Under my Windows display settings I changed it from the recommended 2560X1440 down to 1920X1080. For DBD game play it felt that my mouse key actions were more responsive. The only downside is having to switch back to the better resolution after leaving the game.

• Nicaria70_
    Nicaria70_ Member Posts: 6

I have this problem on a laptop but on the big one i have no problems

• manzari
    manzari Member Posts: 50

Had this issue and this worked for me so you might wanna try it out, it's quite easy:

1. Steam Library

2. Right click on DBD then Properties.

3. From the "Local Files" tab, click on "Browse Local Files...".

4. Right click on DeadByDaylight.exe and then Properties.

5. From the "Compatibility" tab, click on "Change high DPI settings".

6. Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior." and make sure it is set on Application.

7. Click OK and then Apply.

--Done--

• Reborn2020
    Reborn2020 Member Posts: 1,138

Im pretty sure its memory leaks. Restart your pc .

Recently i had a bug where my mouse and keyboard would just stop working.

• BigBrainMegMain
    BigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 3,826
    edited March 2020

You need to be playing at 100% Resolution and 1080P settings.

• Mister_Holdout

Yep, that's what I did months ago.

Now I've gotten used to 100% instead of 125% lol.

• Keezo
    Keezo Member Posts: 454
  • DisappointedUser
    DisappointedUser Member Posts: 420

I am having this issue as killer. My m1 won’t attack many times. I have to click over and over again. But I don’t notice this issue ss survivor. Either because it isn’t happening or because instant m1 clicks aren’t needed for survivor.

Has anyone found a solution?

• leo_nonpc
    leo_nonpc Member Posts: 2

omg same, also my mouse keeps "popping" / "blinking" when i turn my camera to the left or the top of the screen

• Mestopholes
    Mestopholes Member Posts: 3

Registered to double-necro this bad boy for a THANK YOU

Been swapping mouses, and ended up just staying away from killer... I had some unhookings go wrong too with this mouse-click not registering issue.

I found my display settings at 125%, dropped it down to 100% and also added the application DPI priority override in properties. Works like a charm, every click a swing, about to throw on mad grit and give it a REAL test. lmao

Thanks again, and hopefully this obscure issue continues to be found by those few that are definitely in need of this post.

• TheBeardManFace
    TheBeardManFace Member Posts: 2

Looks like a lot of variety to fix this so I will put what fixed it in for me also.

I have a bigger monitor and the game is not true full screen, meaning your mouse can drift out of game, this makes your m1s not register intermittently, because you have simply moved out of the screen, fixing this was dropping my desktop to 100% from 150% on the scaling.

• monkey_d_luffy
    monkey_d_luffy Member Posts: 2

but my game is in full screen and this happens A LOT

• monkey_d_luffy
    monkey_d_luffy Member Posts: 2

but then I ll have to ######### my whole windows just to a fix an annoying problem on dbd?

• fault1er
    fault1er Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2020

To everyone who' still struggling with this problem (no left mouse click while moving), try the following (in Windows 10):

Settings -> Devices -> Touchpad -> Touchpad Sensitivity (dropdown) -> Most Sensitive

I hope that works for you too :)

• MegaMurg
    MegaMurg Member Posts: 4

Okay so after years I have found the solution to this issue. A true fix that doesn't make you have to change you entire PC UI scale.

1. Open NVIDIA control panel
    2. Display
    3. Adjust desktop size and position
    4. Apply the following settings
    5. No Scaling
    6. (alternative option) Aspect ration
    7. Preform scaling on: GPU
  • Mukisam
    Mukisam Member Posts: 4

NO FUNCIONA NADA - CHAPUZAS

QUE ASCO

NO PUEDO JUGAR Y ESTOY ASTA LOS [TACO] DE NO PODER JUGAR AL JUEGO

• NITRAS42
    NITRAS42 Member Posts: 170

I had this issue and seemed to get fixed with going from a wireless mouse to a wired one. Might be the mouse was going bad, but my M1’s just seemed sticky. Sometimes had trouble initiating, sometimes did a short slash when I meant for a lunge.

. . . .Maybe it was just because it was a “gaming” mouse. Shoot it even had weights to add if I wanted. :)