A change to survivor objectives?

Options
Bone_Idol
Bone_Idol Member Posts: 31
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

I don't know about you guys but I've felt since I started my lovely dbd journey that certain things just felt out of place. It never made sense to me that this ominous force that wishes pain and sacrifice to please it has this odd setup of generators, escape gates, lockers and chests. It's all just a bit uninspired, and knowing how many big fans of the game are here I think we can do better.

Since the entity seems bloodthirsty and merciless, why not have the game become a double edged blade. The entity is displeased if a killer fails to provide sacrifice, so maybe the survivors can work towards the killer becoming the sacrifice instead. The survivors goal could be something like gathering materials to set up a sacrificial altar to the entity, doing this could allow them access to a portal that takes them to their next trial. Materials could work similarly to gens in that they are generated in set locations, the killer sees their auras allowing them to patrol, both materials and altar. They could regress the altar say by ripping a part off that the survivors would have to re attach before placing a new part. When survivors locate materials they could pick them up at the cost of movement speed loss depending on size of material, larger ones could even stop the ability to sprint or require two survivors to move. You would be able to drop the material if the killer spots you or you need to switch action to say saving off a hook, but doing so would cause loud action notification that both killers and survivors see. Extra Info for killers and ability to locate materials that have been moved for survivors. All the materials would need to be transported to the altar and assembled before the survivors were allowed to access the portal that leads them to their next trial. The entity demands at least two sacrifices per trials, if the killer does not provide two and the survivors escape, the killer will be seized by the entity and transported to the altar where he/she will satiate the entities hunger.

Chests could be replaced by shrines to the entity, and I think it would be great if both killers and survivors could access them. An item located on map could be taken and offered, or more simply you could pray at them for say 10 seconds to receive your item, as killer perhaps a timed buff, or free one hit down on next M1/R1.

Lockers I never had a problem with the mechanics of, more a design problem for me, would love to see hiding places that blend with the maps surroundings better. They would feel more subtle that way, perhaps even adding an option for killers to use certain hiding spots as a shortcut to other ones, this could help less mobile killers, a cooldown would probably be needed to stop unlimited map travel.

This is just the bare bones of an idea and would love the see what you guys and gals make of it and what you can add to it, or if you've any ideas for survivor objectives you've thought of. So to all hostages of the entity, whether you're a killer, a survivor or a little of both, let your creative juices flow and see what we come up with :)

Post edited by Bone_Idol on

Comments

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    Options

If you want to kill the killer, go play Friday the 13th.

Shrines would be OP

Lockers... Eh.

• Bone_Idol
    edited July 2019
    Options

@Masantonio I didn't say I want to kill the killer, would just like to see a bit of creativity and love from the fans to see a cool concept formed by people who think the survivors objectives are stagnant. Way to miss the mark, instead of purely dismissing and criticising it, why not try to expand and develop the idea off offer up something different :)

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889
    Options

It would require them to change the lore again not to mention a ton more coding for the already spaghetti game. The entity is a positive emotion eater so it has exit gates, chests and hatch as a way to provide hope and other possitive emotions. Killers have no hope or are kept angry like the trapper who has hooks jutting out of him providing pain and anger. Besides how lomg would it take for the entity to be displeased? It can't be at the start of the game since the killer wouldn't have a chance to do anything. And to have it be based off of the killers previous displeased record would be confusing for both sides seeing these seemingly random objects scattered aroumd.

• Bone_Idol
    Options

well i figured the entity would be displeased at the end of the game when objectives are complete and survivors have escaped. i dont know what you mean by have it based off the killers previous displeased record, no game would affect the next in my scenario. But thanks for the lore lesson, i didntknow that about the entity feeding on the positive too

• Bone_Idol
    Options

@starkiller1286 in hindsight I'm not sure I made it clear this was more of a hypothetical idea. I know they would struggle to make huge changes to the coding like this, more wanted to see what ideas were floating around out there

• ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502
    Options

An interesting idea. I could see several of these aspects turned into several different modes. "Entity's Sacrifice" and "Hide or Die".

In the sacrifice mode, I would say a visual effect should be visible of the entity offering it's parishioner/prisoner a glowing orb or box. Much like you can see the entity drag people into the sky when they are sacrificed. This should balance things a bit, letting players know when you got a trump card. (I would also make the time for prayer a lot longer. 30 seconds to 1 minute perhaps. Or perhaps you can have it speed up for the "losing" side as they get more desperate and pray even more fervently.

In hide or die mode, I would say that the killer should be able to down in one hit. Considering the goal is stealth and not survival. Don't be found before time runs out....or become a tasty treat for the killer. The time could be something like 10-20 minutes depending. Would need some testing though.

Just some personal ideas and opinions.