Should I change the engine settings to boost FPS?

I have been thinking about going into the files and changing around some graphical settings because when I play I get around 50-60 fps and when i'm not at 60 fps its just really annoying and I don't want to lower my graphics. So my solution would be to slightly tweak the settings, uncap the FPS and enjoy. Is it wise to do so.

Comments

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

It's feasible, but expect a lot of trial and error for several reason: Some options don't work, some options are dependent on other options, and some options are not meant to be changed and can adversely affect our framerate negatively, or alter you graphics with no impact on framerate.

I used to write custom configs for Vindictus when I played it, which was a custom Source Engine game. Really, it was mostly just time consuming starting the game, checking everything, and then closing it to tweak some more. Once you iron out the variables and their effects it becomes easier to adjust an entire config.

Just make a backup of your current if it functions, though a game will typically generate a new one from scratch if it cannot detect one (in case of deletion). Also, you will want to set it to Read Only, as some games will forcefully overwrite your changes; this typically doesn't happen by default and only occurs when you change something in-game, and it reverts to an umbrella preset relating to the in-game adjustable parameters.