The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Change the name of the Exposed status to something more beginner friendly

SlickSal
SlickSal Member Posts: 112
edited August 2019 in General Discussions

This is honestly me being a little nit picky, but the name should be changed to something that beginners should better be able to grasp and understand. I can’t tell you how many times I have played with my friends who just got the game and “Exposed” pops up and they say “oh the killer can see me?!?!??”

Changing the name would eliminate any confusion beginners have with this concept. The name itself doesn’t make too much sense with what it does imo. Keep the icon of the skull the same, just change the name.

ideas could be something like the weakened status or you could say the killer is empowered or something rather than exposed, which obviously sounds like your aura or location is revealed.

what do you guys think? Honestly I could live the rest of my life without this change going live and I wouldn’t care since I already know about the games mechanics, but since the devs do care about a beginners experience it should be changed to something more beginner friendly and less confusing.

Comments

• TheShape78
    TheShape78 Member Posts: 712

I agree, had trouble with it myself.

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

Yep agreed.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

When I first started, I thought exposed meant I could see survivor auras. Which is what confused me at perks that said exposed. Got sick of it and went to the wiki, which shed some light on it. Felt dumb after.

• SlickSal

@LordGlint I agree it should be something that is easy to understand so beginners know why they’ve been downed instantly like weakened or vulnerable like you said.

• HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814

Its fine as it is now. I really like the sound effect it has now.

I miss good old days when game didn't tell you why you are exposed and why someone was instadowned, had to actually use brain.

• SlickSal

@Peanits

what do you think of this change?

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,129
    edited August 2019

After months of sporadically playing killer, my friend still gets mixed up sometimes about what the "Exposed" status is. He'll often forget and think it means you can see the survivor's aura. It's a confusing name for a one-hit-down effect. "Vulnerable" would make a lot more sense.

• Roobnus
    Roobnus Member Posts: 375

I understand that people can get confused when they first see "Exposed" but honestly if you still don't get it after being confronted with it several times... perhaps it's time to realize you're not as smart as you think you are.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

I disagree that it needs to be changed. You are always vulnerable in the game. Exposed is a perfectly good word for it. You are Exposed to instant death. I figured that out pretty quickly after first starting. Simplifying it removes what little knowledge you need to understand the game. Dumbing it down, as it were. In this I agree with @Roobnus.

However, I kind of agree with @HazeHound about not needing to know where the effect came from.

However, when it comes to the new effect, I think it should only be noticeable if you're in the killers' terror radius. You still get the icon, but not the screen effect.

I know I don't share a common opinion on this thread, but there you go.

• Judgement
    Judgement Member Posts: 955

My suggestions for a new name;

• (In/) Peril
    • Endangered
    • Vulnerable
    • Open
  • Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Since new players can look up in the main menu what it does, i disagree.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep if they do decide to change it, but i just don't see the need for it.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

I had this exact confusion when I first started playing

• prayer_survivor
    prayer_survivor Member Posts: 626

"A pray for your soul"

• will_i_am_14_85
    will_i_am_14_85 Member Posts: 489

+1 Same thing happened to me when I first started playing, I thought it meant that I was in view of the killer......

• Glory
    Glory Member Posts: 241

Man, it sounds like 90% of players didn't understand what exposed meant their first time seeing it, and some are still struggling. If only we could do something about it... If only there were an intern with a slow afternoon, who would have 90 minutes or so to go over all the different text in perks, addons, and powers to swap words around

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

I first thought the killer could see me until i read what it means. Exposed could be taken as your vitals are exposed so when the killer hits you its an instadown.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371
    edited August 2019

"You are screwed" should be the status.

Wow, you said it, so nit picky.

"Exposed" is a weird choice of name for sure, but we all have learned what it means. Just as I have learned what "camper", "tunneler", "4%" or "lixo" means from grumpy survivors. So leave the name alone, it's part of Dead by Daylight.

"Lixo" means "trash" in portuguese by the way, I play in South America.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

For all the people saying "If YoU dOn'T kNoW wHaT iT mEaNs By NoW mAyBe YoU sHoUlDn'T bE pLaYiNg" this change isn't for you, it's for newer players who could easily be confused about what it means seeing as it can be interpreted in different ways. Changing the name also isn't going to change gameplay in any way so I don't see why anyone is against it.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Muffin Time

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

The Doomed Status Effect

This would help newer players understand that this means they are a 1-shot down.

• tehshadowman33
    tehshadowman33 Member Posts: 939

"Endangered"

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Wouldnt having your aura seen be considered, "visible"?

Exposed could mean a few things, but it's not exactly wrong as it is.

• ASAPTurtle
    ASAPTurtle Member Posts: 968

I thought "Exposed" meant the killer could see my aura when I first started out. Until I face against a Michael and after the match I read his power and figured out what it was.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Oh I got it.

"Under suicide watch".

That represents the danger you're in right?

Too soon?

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

My vote goes for vulnerable. Says exactly what it means.

• Wuhelm
    Wuhelm Member Posts: 260

I agree changing the name to something more inline with the consequence. Instead of Exposed how about unprotected or something like that?

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

This is one of those thousand-cuts UX things that is minor on its own, but there are way too many of them all over the game.

• LuluTheLion13
    LuluTheLion13 Member Posts: 52

When I first started the game. I thought the exact same thing. But I always thought that the killer could see me and now I was one hit. But now I have been playing the game about a year now. I know what everything means. Except for the mangled status effect. I still don’t know what that means😂😂👍🏻

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,276

Mangled makes it take longer to heal. Just look at sloppy butcher for the most popular cause of mangled.

• LuluTheLion13
    LuluTheLion13 Member Posts: 52

Oh. I thought that was just sloppy butcher. But now I know. Just like one of the huntresses Addons. When she hits someone with her hatchet it gives the mangled status effect. Thanks for telling me.

• LordGlint

Sloppy butcher adds mangled (the antihealing) as well as hemorrhage (makes you leave more pools of blood on the ground that the killer can follow)

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

I honestly just think they should include it in the tutorial.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

When I first played Pig and saw that Make Your Choice ''Exposed'' Survivors I was very confused because I thought it meant Auras. When someone told me that it meant they were a 1 hit down I was pissed off because I was like ''how was I supposed to know that? I can't even find the person who made the save''.

• LordGlint

@Peanits what are your thoughts on this topic? Seems ALOT of ppl had the same thought with mistaking the effect for aura reading.

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,092
    edited August 2019

Exposed actually does make sense. Other games use that as a form of "armor pierce". However I did at first think it meant it was aura reading because I was thinking of the other meaning of exposed. Vulnerable doesn't really translate well either honestly though. If you were new you'd be like "Vulnerable to what?. Exposed definitely sounds better as well. Broken honestly sounds the best but that's already a status effect. If it were me I would change Broken to Cursed and Exposed to Broken. It'd make a little more sense with Plague as well being cursed over being broken.

• DumpyCrumpet
    DumpyCrumpet Member Posts: 3

There's an ingame glossary that tells you about every status effect. Ignorance is the players fault.