Why was Spirit Buffed?

somewherenear
somewherenear Member Posts: 35
edited August 2019 in General Discussions

I know its been out for a while, but I am curious to hear what the community thinks is the reason why spirit was buffed a patch or two ago - now you can't hear her spirit walk in her terror radius. I've always thought that Spirit had a lot of mind game potential (standing still at window and pretending to vault since standing is same as her vaulting animation), and that her spirit walk made it a guessing game as to which side of the pallet you should stand on.

With this new buff - there is so much less ability to play against her, unless you brought iron will in, you are pretty screwed against a decent spirit.

TLDR: Spirit has always been in my opinion on the better tier of killers (and pretty balanced) - why did we go and buff her to make her not fun to play against?

Comments

• Catbucket
    Catbucket Member Posts: 335

thats not a buff, thats prayer beads, ad they've always existed.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

No, Prayer Beads covered the sound when NOT in her TR.

As for the buff, I think it's because now you actually have the ability to fake out whether you phase or not. Gives her stronger mindgame potential overall.

• somewherenear
    somewherenear Member Posts: 35

I play her as killer (pre-buff as well), and always felt like her mind game potential was already very high - her phase made any non-infinite loops a mind game, even with the sound. Most other killers (wraith, trapper, etc.) don't have any mind game potential, why buff hers?

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

Her mindgame potential was closer to random guessing on both sides really. This method gives her more control over things.

As for why her, it's easier to tweak her than heavily alter Trapper or Wraith

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047

The buff makes her to have control over these mind games and not to be easily counterable.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    edited August 2019

The disparity between killers like Ghostface, Clown, and Trapper compared to Spirit is absolutely frigging hilarious

Like spirit has so much going for her especially the free passive effects, that she doesn't even have to work to get. And then you got those 3 who have to go to great lengths to use their power and they have to sacrifice for it

Just what are they thinking

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Not sure what you are talking about. You could never hear the woosh inside her TR, you would hear TR. That was always a thing.

• PoisonN
    PoisonN Member Posts: 624

Because she was weak on the PTB and now she is fine and actually a viable killer

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862

gotta love them japanese waifus

• Kabu
    Kabu Member Posts: 926
    edited August 2019

Spirit has always had her phase walk suppressed inside her terror radius. Her phasing sound outside her terror radius was made non-directional during the ptb or shortly thereafter.

Other than a few bug fixes here and there she hasn't been adjusted much as it was agreed upon Spirit is in a good place.

• Edit: Just looked up the patch notes.
    • Patch 2.3.0 PTB The Spirit's phasing audio has been adjusted: Survivors within the Spirit Husk's terror radius will not hear the phasing sound. Survivors outside the Spirit Husk's terror radius can hear the Spirit's phasing sound, but will not be able to determine its direction. Survivors will no longer be able to hear the Spirit's breathing while she is phasing.

Post edited by Kabu on
  • Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

Well, thats the ugly thing. For the Spirit it is a mindgame, for the Survivor simply a guessing game if she is moving or not. But it has not been changed recently.

There was a bug a few patches ago where you can actually hear when she starts phasing, but that was patched already and never intended.

• Jplanas98
    Jplanas98 Member Posts: 532

You never could hear the spirits phasing while within her TR, it's always been like that so idk what you're talking about. Unless you're talking about the bug in which people could hear when she went into phasing.