Camper and Tunneler Killers are killing DbD for new players

KiolL
KiolL Member Posts: 46
edited August 2019 in General Discussions

I suggested play Dbd to some friends some time ago, and, as a most of the new players they want to play as survivors..They just played some days and finally they unistalled the game cause the "camping mechanics" from some killers...

Im sure that devs know this problem and cause from that the next chapter will be benefit more to survivor side... I hope it's a new survivor era and with this new players come to the game . DbD need a fresh air.

😀

PS: Srry my english

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

Well Steve in the new DLC coming up has anti camping perks so this should help new players.

The real problem for new players is the damn broken match making. I keep getting Purple Ranks in my lobbies as a Rank 16 Killer, no they are not SWF I am positive and it has happened to Tru3Talent as well. I get this as a Survivor too, I've had 2 Purples in my lobby who were SWF but the 3rd guy was a solo and the Killer was a 17. This hurts new players.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited August 2019

CAMPER AND TUNNELER KILLERS ARE KILLING NEW PLAYERS IN DBD

Isn't that... literally?

Rivyn

Aug 31, 2019

You really can't stop tunneling/camping, though. Killers are people too, who want to win. That definition differs from player to player. Some think making a guy dc, or face camping them equals winning. No amount of perks/bp loss is going to change that.

Well, technically you can stop it but there would need to be massive reworks to how the game works to do it. For instance, if the hooked person is in terror radius the hook timer slows to a crawl, things like that.

Could cause imbalances though and make life terrible for killers. But they'e been shown to be willing to make massive changes like Endgame Collapse, so it's not something impossible if they really wanted to fix it.

They don't, that's why they're just giving us bandaid fixes in the form of dumbass perks like DS and BT and the upcoming Babysitter.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

Killers are supposed to kill...?

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

I mean. Yeah. That's the game. Killing players.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Killers are killing players?

Yup, checks out. Move along nothing to see here.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867

Unfortunately, that is a flaw in the game. The design of the game leaves a lot of room for toxic gameplay on both sides. It causes the game to often step on it's own toes, limiting its ability to grow significantly.

Not sure it can be fixed. I miss the days of communal policing by the players where behavior was checked in order to promote game health. Those were much more mature communities and name and shame was not an issue then. Not sure ther is a way anymore. Just grin and bear it or play something else?

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,333

They couldn't make it TR based, due to different TR sizes. Insidious Bubba wouldn't have a problem, while distressing Doc would constantly be considered camping due to existing on the same map.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

It's true. I bet one of the main reasons some people stop playing survivors is camping. People always say it can be countered easily by doing gens and that it's fine, but it really hurts the game in a way that it makes it unenjoyable for many people. Something needs to be done, and it's just not reward a killer for not camping. That's fine of course, but camping as it is now needs to be nerfed as well. It's just too effective against low ranks and in some cases solo survivors in general.

• prayer_survivor
    prayer_survivor Member Posts: 626

when killer is x meters near you the gens Get done 50% faster or when the killer hooks you, you appear at a hook x meters from the original one. End of camping, fun for all, more survs, less wait times...

• LordGlint

Neither of these things would work. basing it solely off a killer's range gets kinda screwy on multilayered maps. If I hook you in the middle of the map, top floor of "The Game", I would still be camping, even if I was downstairs.

A killer should also be allowed to pick a hook. Not only would your teleport to a different hook idea screw a killer's ability to pick WHICH hook they want you on, but would also screw with a teammate's ability to save you if theyre prepared. If Im a killer, id much rather place a survivor in a spot where all the pallets have been used, or thats close to a gen I'm trying to protect. This forces survivors to come to areas favorable to me, which is just smart play. Them teleporting to a random hook, surrounded by pallets completely takes away any thought to hooking someone.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

Camper and tunneler killers are the new players in DBD. New killers are way too terrified of allowing someone to get unhooked because it feels like failing an objective. Makes sense, really - they're told that the killer's job is to hook survivors to sacrifice them to the entity, so when a survivor gets unhooked it makes them feel like they've been outplayed. It's counter-intuitive not to camp as a new killer. New killers need to be taught that camping is a bad idea and why, and that it's okay to let people get unhooked. In the meantime, teach your friends to counter campers by, again, doing the counter-intuitive thing and rushing gens instead of going for the save.

And tunnelling sucks but it's just smart play, really. As a killer, there's no reason not to go for the most vulnerable prey. The best counter to tunnelling is safe unhooking, which is why when I have friends playing for the first time I play alongside them, so I can show them the ropes and so they don't get matched with randoms who unhook them at stupid times and get them killed, because then they never have time to learn anything and they lose through no fault of their own, which I agree is not fun at all.

• LordGlint

I remember being a new killer and spending what felt like AGES to finally down someone. I hook them up, and they get unhooked 15 seconds later... and all of a sudden, it felt like ALL that work was for nothing.

I really wasnt any good at applying any pressure or anything, since Id just follow the exact pathing the survivor would take (including vaulting every window) and Id get SUPER tunnel vision, because I figured id rather down this guy I finally injured than start a new chase with someone else who MUST be equally as good as the guy im chasing.

• Fibijean

Yeah, I think it's important when talking about improving things for new players to be able to remember what it was like and put yourself in the new player mindset. There are a lot of patterns that new players - killers and survivors alike - seem to observe instinctively, that are not even close to being ideal strategies.

• jorkle
    jorkle Member Posts: 18

What about the new killers that get the ######### bullied out of them by survivors with gen rushing, constant teabagging, and honestly not giving new killers much of a chance, what reason should the killer have to give survivors a chance if the survivors dont do the same. But when you have 4 survivors in a swf running circles around the killer constantly finding new ways to screw with their head then it gets annoying. "Oh but the survivors are just doing their job" and so is the killer, but no one likes it on the other side.

• LordGlint

i cringe so much at remember my old habits. My old strategy was to stall the game so much that literally every pallet would be broken... and I use to instantly kick every pallet, no matter how unsafe they were.

• Fibijean

Um... what about them? This thread isn't about them. And the people that do that aren't the brand new survivors, so it's not even a relevant comparison to make. There was no indication whatsoever in the OP that his friends were toxic or that the killers they came up against were camping for any reason other than that that's what new killers tend to do. Leave your misplaced salt at the door, please.

• LordGlint

I think its best to assume new killers are gonna be facing new survivors... Although matchmaking sucks, we can at least hope a rank 20 killer isnt gonna be getting Marth's depip squad as their first match.

• Tru3Lemon
    Tru3Lemon Member Posts: 1,358
    edited August 2019

I would say this first devs should add second objective and if they still camp make the bar progression stop if the killer its near 13m or more

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946

Why do killer camp, besides out of malice?

Because it works.

Often over altruistic playstyles rewards the camper and most survivors opt in for a selfish perk selection when not in a SWF (I know, sounds contradicting but that's how most survivors play)

So you rush at the hook, not having BT and not knowing if the hooked one has DS. Most likely no Bound or Kindred either so the solos cannot coordinate. If those perks are more accessable to new players maybe camping would reduce naturally.

But most go for DH, Adrenaline, BL and SC for a versatile and self-sufficient playstyle.

About tunneling, some perks like Dying Light and Remember Me requires tunneling but more often, the one survivor that gets tunneled the most is the weakest survivor. The one who is oblivious and get caught in the first place and don't know how to loop well. If you can bring down the survivors from 4 to 3 asap you win enormous pressure and the death spiral begins.

4 survivors (2 can do whatever they want asblong one goes for the save)

3 survivors (only 1 can do what he/she wants, the other needs to safe)

2 survivors (killer has control over the game, survivor need to unhook or race for the hatch)

Best anti-camp and -tunnel option would be an irresistible incentive to rank up. If ranking up becomes the entire propose of the game or achieving a minimum rank would grant amazing reward, less would camp and tunnel, because camping and tunneling results in a slower ranking/no ranking or even down ranking.

The current system rewards down ranking thus there is an incentive to camp and tunnel.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited August 2019

Doesn't have to be TR. They can just make it a flat 30m or something for every killer. I don't know what the correct size needs to be.

• MemberBerry
    MemberBerry Member Posts: 394

When you said "killers are people too" I felt warmth around my heart, purely because so many people don't realize that there's an actual human being controlling the bully toy that survivors see every game.

• LordGlint

I could see maybe extending the time on hook if killer is within around 16 meters when not in chase. Cant make the area TOO large, otherwise your punishing the killer for existing on the same half of the map, expesially on smaller maps like The Game. Same reason I wouldnt have it boost gen speed, but rather slow hook progression. If someone is bent on camping the first guy they find to death, Thisll buy his teammates sufficient time to do gens and leave. If a killer is having to camp someone at the END of a match however...That guys gonna die no matter HOW slow hook progression gets.

• Avariku
    Avariku Member Posts: 608

yep, I've had that problem myself... took me forever to convince a few friends of mine to give dbd a try.

it lasted all of a week before they uninstalled, blaming the grind and the camping/tunneling...

but its a part of the game, and even I can admit the game has balance issues on both sides of the fence... the matchmaking definitely needs to get fixed...

I've been absolutely destroying some poor rank 18-20's lately, but I can't go easy on people anymore cause I never know if I might be up against toxic swf rank 1-4's that destroy me at the slightest show of kindness. (its a no-win situation)

• Thasard
    Thasard Member Posts: 268

Was the game that different a year ago? That's when I joined and I didn't seem to have these issues that I recall. But I just got my boyfriend started on PC (I have PS4 😣), and he's experiencing a lot of face camping killers, and a lot of 8 killers when he's an 18 and still figuring things out, not to mention a lot of poor sports who whine and bully him post game. That sucks that people resort to that especially when new players. Maybe hide names and shutdown after game chat until players reach 15 so they can't be nasty.

• LordGlint

Matchmaking is a mess. I feel like alot of ACTUAL facecamping killers are doing it to meme out of boredom.

• CrispyChestnuts
    CrispyChestnuts Member Posts: 175

Yea I really don't understand why teabagging doesn't count as unsportsmanlike conduct on both sides. It drives away the kind of players that would help our community grow.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

Omg...I remember my first game. I played hag because I saw "mark stuff and teleport" and it sounded neat.

I can pretty much remember what I was thinking..." where is anyone? How do I teleport? Found someone, stop running and let me hit you! HA, hit you...wait why are you suddenly so fast? What am I even doing with my hand? Why am I so slow? Where did you run to? How do I read these scratch marks? How did they fix all the gens already? This hag is too weak"

Good times.

I actually had pretty bad rng on my first killer games, got cornfield on hag, so I couldn't see anything. Got lery on billy...

• IMhereRUN
    IMhereRUN Member Posts: 606

Firstly, it’s a team game...if you’re just getting camping killers repetitively, stay on the hook as long as possible to buy your team the victory, much of this will dicipate when the new perks in the Stranger Things DLC is available.

Secondly, every killer is played by a player. You can’t seriously get upset on their tactics because “they’re not playing the way you want them to”, that’s just idiocy. Remember, the killer doesn’t have a team to rely on, so he/she is free to do anything necessary. If you’re experiencing this often, adjust your load out to counter it!!

Lastly, while may be considered toxicity, if a player is so mentally weak that tbagging throws them off their game, then they should probably be playing something that’s NOT competitive. What’s so offensive about someone crouching? Lol. Don’t play into the BS and keep your mind straight.

• Well_Placed_HexTotem
    Well_Placed_HexTotem Member Posts: 824

Devs have tried this in a PC PTB. Surprise, survivors abused it

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237

Its not a problem, its a playstyle. New killers 'protect' their hooks, Eventually that wont work, you will get punished, so they will have to adapt. Get better at survivor, in grey ranks you shouldnt be caught. When you reach red ranks you'll get 3 chances in most of your games (and thats without insta heals and second chance perks)

• Attackfrog
    Attackfrog Member Posts: 1,134

It's labor day weekend here in america...

I have plans to spend it camping...

In dead by daylight.

• Th3Entity
    Th3Entity Member Posts: 35

Lol are you serious camping is more severe than 1% of games which you play against swf team

• Bloodlust_Gamer69
    Bloodlust_Gamer69 Member Posts: 167

How about smurfs that are toxic?

• Locker_Monster
    Locker_Monster Member Posts: 496

The essence of any camping/tunneling thread:

'Killers are allowed to win! But only if they play by my rules.'

Camping is fine. It's a legitimate strat that defeats itself. People need to stop suggesting that camping/tunneling is 'ruining the game'. It's a blatant lie meant to push their agenda.

I mean, you don't hear them comment on how 3-4 man SWFs built to bully Killers are ruining the game or chasing away new Killers..Because they don't care about that. They only care about wanting to remove camping because they, personally, don't like it.