Artwork Contest (Add More Rewards please???)

Options
NarciCism
NarciCism Member Posts: 23
edited July 2018 in General Discussions

So like, TBH, Im a little shocked by the winners, like, I saw some very good pieces (including my own) that I think also deserve some sort of prize. I would like to see them give $20 to the top 10 runner ups to the 1st 2nd and 3rd prizes because giving auric cells to people who spent days drawing for this contest instead of playing their game doesn't cost them any money. I also think the shear amount of entries in the art contest, vs the cosplay or video contest, constitutes more rewards and prizes. If I did my entry as a commission for someone, it would've been $100, so I, and I'd imagine many other artists who put so much effort in, would like to get some sort of reward. Every art contest I enter, I don't win. It's really starting to drag me down and affect my confidence in art.

Comments

• NarciCism
    Options

This was my entry BTW! <3

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3
    Options

Your art piece is wonderful! However, I believe that the pieces they chose were also great and deserving of their winnings.

When you enter a contest like this where there are a set amount of winners you are spending time on something that is not guaranteed to win. Sometimes that will work out in your favor, and sometimes not. Just because you took that risk and decided to draw something for a contest does not mean that they owe you a reward.

Obviously it would be great if more prizes were offered, but If not winning contests is hindering your enjoyment of creating art, then it would probably be wise to focus on investing time in things where you are guaranteed to get payment / enjoyment.

• ThePloopz
    ThePloopz Member Posts: 1,010
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Kitty said:

Your art piece is wonderful! However, I believe that the pieces they chose were also great and deserving of their winnings.

When you enter a contest like this where there are a set amount of winners you are spending time on something that is not guaranteed to win. Sometimes that will work out in your favor, and sometimes not. Just because you took that risk and decided to draw something for a contest does not mean that they owe you a reward.

Obviously it would be great if more prizes were offered, but If not winning contests is hindering your enjoyment of creating art, then it would probably be wise to focus on investing time in things where you are guaranteed to get payment / enjoyment.

I agree with this. I’d also like to add that, if your like most people you’ll lose these things much more than you’ll win them. If you lose it doesn’t mean you’re bad at art. Two pieces of art can be equally as good but one has to win and the winner may be chosen because of an art style choice or something else minor and nothing actually negative. Cheer up and don’t stop trying or improving 
  • Kevvie
    Kevvie Member Posts: 175
    Options
    I love the Hag grab in the art!

but contest wise if they were to offer “participation rewards” people would submit stick men just to get something, and I’m sure they’ll do more art contests in the near future! 
  • NarciCism
    Options

@Kitty said:

TBH I just think these devs should be much less stingy. Like there are pieces that are REALLY GOOD that also didn't win. I also think that by being someone who has played this game since the nurse came out (I only play female killers), us legacy players should be awarded with cells for sticking with this game so long. Like why did I buy every chapter to just have them be purchasable for free now with not equivalent exchange. I think that they should do more auric cell contests, they should do more auric cell giveaways, they should give at least 1 free outfit of auric cells, and, for owning all chapters pre store update, you should be awarded with auric cells as well. Why do I have to start at an arbitrary "level 1" when I have so many prestige 3 lvl 50 character? ALSO I create art because it's my only skill/talent. It would be so much easier to not be cursed with an artistic inclination that causes me to never have a concrete paycheck. I just think that they should increase the number of prizes because 3 just simply isn't enough.

• NarciCism
    Options

@ThePloopz said:

I agree with this. I’d also like to add that, if your like most people you’ll lose these things much more than you’ll win them. If you lose it doesn’t mean you’re bad at art. Two pieces of art can be equally as good but one has to win and the winner may be chosen because of an art style choice or something else minor and nothing actually negative. Cheer up and don’t stop trying or improving 

It still stings to lose so much, like, IDK how it even feels to win, all I do is just keep on keeping on. And I will say I have improved much by doing this piece for this contest, and I probably won't be drawing anything big for this game again. SIS, tbh, some of these fits are crusty af, they need to hire a fashion designer to give us some cute modern contemporary fashionable clothes, and they need to give Jake more beards....

• NarciCism
    Options

@Kevvie said:
    I love the Hag grab in the art!

but contest wise if they were to offer “participation rewards” people would submit stick men just to get something, and I’m sure they’ll do more art contests in the near future! 

Literally praying for more contests, and some people did literally submit stick figures. I'm not suggesting giving a participation reward, that'd be dumb. I just think there should be more prizes for the amount of artwork submitted.

• Kevvie
    Kevvie Member Posts: 175
    Options
    Most video game devs give little more than “exposure” for fan art, just having a contest is a great gesture on their part and giving more than one person a prize is an even better thing.
  • NarciCism
    Options

@Kevvie said:
    Most video game devs give little more than “exposure” for fan art, just having a contest is a great gesture on their part and giving more than one person a prize is an even better thing.

Most games breed more notes on tumblr for fanart though. More people go out of their way to find overwatch art than DBD art. When I draw DBD it's out of passion and love and Im starting to fall off it hard. I pray they do another contest to I can step my cookies up and win the whole shabang. It's not really about who is and who isn't doing contests. The Kubo and the two Strings are contest has 25 winners, with physical prizes and 1st place got thousands of dollars. This contest is just auric cells, a fake currency that costs nothing to hand out. Contests are also a great marketing scheme.

• Kitty
    Options

I also think that by being someone who has played this game since the nurse came out (I only play female killers), us legacy players should be awarded with cells for sticking with this game so long. Like why did I buy every chapter to just have them be purchasable for free now with not equivalent exchange.

I've played the game for around the same amount of time, but I can't say that I understand your mindset. You were not forced to stick with the game. I assume that the reason you have played it for so long is because you have enjoyed playing it, which is all you can ask from the company as long as they continue to work on it. You want THEM to give YOU a reward for enjoying a game that THEY made and continue to maintain?

I can understand being a bit unhappy about the content becoming free if you have bought it, but you do get some "extras". Specifically with the Spark of Madness dlc, I noticed that those who buy Feng Min with shards do not get her bun or cardigan outfit. For me, that extra outfit makes it worth spending a little extra money (especially considering how long it has taken me to accumulate 9000 shards). Also, a large portion of the dlc killers and survivors cannot be gotten for free at this point, anyways.

I think that they should do more auric cell contests, they should do more auric cell giveaways, they should give at least 1 free outfit of auric cells

I agree with most of this.

ALSO I create art because it's my only skill/talent. It would be so much easier to not be cursed with an artistic inclination that causes me to never have a concrete paycheck.

That's an unfortunate part of life. We'd all like to have stable income doing the things that we are skilled at and enjoy doing lol. But as Ploopz said, you should definitely keep at it. I have no talent in the area, but being able to see artists improve is always a wonderful thing!

• NarciCism
    Options

@Kitty said:

I've played the game for around the same amount of time, but I can't say that I understand your mindset. You were not forced to stick with the game. I assume that the reason you have played it for so long is because you have enjoyed playing it, which is all you can ask from the company as long as they continue to work on it. You want THEM to give YOU a reward for enjoying a game that THEY made and continue to maintain?

I think auric cells are BS. I think that it sucks that this game, which costs money, introduced a currency system, NEVER A GOOD THING! I'm glad they are getting more income from it, BUT, I would rather just have DLC outfit groupings, for a much cheaper, more reasonable price, like what we already have with the HeadCase and the 80s Suitcase. I will always be against a paid currency in games that aren't free to play. I am a very big fan of games with clothes and customization but, I think that it is a little unfair to price everything so high when customization used to be so cheap. I accidentally bought Jake pants when I really meant to buy Feng Min a shirt, now I have a gross Feng Min and the best possible Jake Park and I don't want to spend more money to fix it and go back to maining my main. I was just excited for the opportunity and am very depressed that I did not win, and cannot fix my Feng without spending more. I think the store update should've at least came with 1080 auric cells for 1 free fit. I will say it WAS a fun game, but as of late, I've been getting rather frustrated with it. The shards are the one thing keeping me going since I have every teachable to date, and they are way to hard to get.

• Kitty
    Options

@NarciCism said:
    I think auric cells are BS. I think that it sucks that this game, which costs money, introduced a currency system, NEVER A GOOD THING! I'm glad they are getting more income from it, BUT, I would rather just have DLC outfit groupings, for a much cheaper, more reasonable price, like what we already have with the HeadCase and the 80s Suitcase.

I 100% agree. Auric cells / the outfits are super pricey, which is why I do not plan on spending any money on them. Have you tried reaching out to see if they would maybe refund the Jake cosmetic or exchange it directly for Feng the shirt you wanted? Not sure how lenient they are with that sort of thing or if it's something they can even do, but it could be worth a shot.

Regardless, I do hope that they have more contests / giveaways and that you're able to snag yourself a win!