Has anyone started playing without Ruin?

Comments

• THEghostface
    THEghostface Member Posts: 296
    edited September 2019

Playing with it, I know it will get cleansed, but that also means that's one less survivor on a gen for that brief amount of time. Sometimes more if survivors are really not feeling to repair with it on.

Playing against Ruin: I've practiced on hitting great skilIchecks with it active so many times that i can now basically hit a great every single time.

• NeonAlien
    NeonAlien Member Posts: 328

Kind of, yeah. For me, it's also the fact that I encounter ruin almost every game. If there's a game without it, I'll be rushing (not that hard tho, when the killer has trouble I take my time doing totems or loot chests) because it's just so refreshing to not have it, ya know?

• themirrortwin
    themirrortwin Member Posts: 280

The new set I love to run is Thanatophobia and Dying light. Sure the obsession becomes an awesome healer, but they complement each other well. And, unlike ruin, slow the gens all the time once active (rather than depend on the skill of the survivors).

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,767

Yeah I do lmao, hence why I like to stay in ranks 10 - 8 for matches where I can ensure everyone has fun.

@MineAntoiya

Back to the op question, basically ruin gives easier matches imo. That's about it. Useful when rank climbing but playing without it can help you improve more so than with it.

Build I've found works w/o addons on Freddy is Discordance/BBQ/MYC/Pop. Adding in addons just makes it stronger (except kids drawing, never use kids drawing)

• Clockso
    Clockso Member Posts: 853

i use it on killers that need time, specifically hag, she has 10 traps that need to be placed, if not then you're just a 110% killer without a power.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

You know, when you think about it.

ALL of us started playing without ruin.

We only got it later after playing for ab it.

• yeet
    yeet Member Posts: 1,832

PGTW is better

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,081

Playing without Ruin, except when I dont have any better Perks. It is more relaxed, since I do not have to care for any Totem. At the start it is always a little bit worrying, because Gens are fast, but that does not matter that much, because the first Gens are done when the Survivors are at their strongest (all on Gens, one in Chase with all Ressources, nobody needs to heal or go for Unhooks).

PGTW is WAY MORE superior. But I guess people have played with Ruin so long that they think it is necessary.

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626

Much better. I still like to use something to slow gens, but prefer a perk I have control over.

The only downside is that you often lose a gen quite early, but usually by the time 3 gens are left I am applying enough pressure to keep the game in control.

• Steve0333
    Steve0333 Member Posts: 529

If a survivor brings a map I won't use it since map = ruin gone in 5 seconds. Basically I don't use any hex perks if a survivor has map since there is no point. If two or more survivors bring flashlights I'll use light born. If a survivor brings a key I use franklins.

• bendermac
    bendermac Member Posts: 772

Whats Ruin? 🤣

I run Pop. A much better perk to use 😎

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946

I almost never use Ruin.

I dislike the concept of the Perk, it gives me nothing to play with.

I rather hunt and pressure the survivors myself, force them into unfavorable situations and let them Make Their Choice.

• Xboned
    Xboned Member Posts: 461

I defaulted to Ruin because I was told it was essential, so I rushed unlocking it. I've been hearing a lot of great things about PGTW, so I tried playing a little Clown and I have to say... this perk is pretty great. Being able to actively contest a hot generator is a new and exciting option to me. They can't just tap their way out of that regression.

I may like it a lot more than Ruin.

• Rex_Huin
    Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208
    edited September 2019

I always bring it and another gen stopper perk as well. I don't bother trying to protect it.

Even if it distracts 3 survivors for 20 seconds that's a minute saved. Its worth it. That's 1 gen. Often it lasts a bit longer than that.

Every time I try a 'fun' build its only fun for the survivors.

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,939

I stopped playing with it like a month ago and I am being pretty successful with it. Ruin is boring but I still use some other slow down Perks like Pop, Dying Light... I like variation, sometimes I use gimmicky builds which have no slowdown Perk involved which is a little harder but yeah. If I feel the need to use it I'll use it again. Good for me, it didn't come to this point yet.

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

I never used to use ruin but I got into the habit of using it in the majority of games about a year ago. It's the best perk in the game after mindbreaker of course.

If you keep moving across the map from objective to objective you don't really need ruin unless you're against a group of Survivors who are dedicated to get gens done at all cost.

Ruin is good for delaying those Survivors who are good at stealthing near gens.

Without ruin secure a 3 gen setup to fall back on, injure and rotate to healthy Survivors. It doesn't always work but it'll give you a fair chance. Rng can make or break you as killer or Survivor.

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176
    edited September 2019

I stopped running ruin in favor of corrupt intervention, I just need to be able to apply pressure at the beginning so I can begin to snowball. Plus it goes well with my favorite perks, Thrilling Tremors and PGTW, also began to run dying light with it and it's great

• Blackowt_9120
    Blackowt_9120 Member Posts: 300

I like winning so i use ruin

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

Only Killer who I have not needed ruin with was Freddy, but I still needed his chains and rope addons with Dying Light, Thrilling Tremors, Pop Goes, and Surge. Pretty much need Ruin at high ranks still for characters like Trapper, Wraith, and Pig.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

"Hex: Ruin" is in my basekit for every killer like forever. Hoping for more viable alternatives like "Corrupt Intervention".

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

I don't use Ruin. Matter of fact, I loathe Hex perks in general. It's too much RNG on spawn points, and I'm not putting my perks at the whim of RNG like that.

@Peanits Where do you stream, and what's the channel?

• DeadbyDeathGarden
    DeadbyDeathGarden Member Posts: 117

Hex: Ruin my Life, Hex: Hill of the Thrunt, Hex: Sing Song Ding Dong and Charbeque and Billi. Watch them freak out as soon as they start doing gens and realise they have like 8% regression on Good Skill Checks and more on misses. Or replace Charb with No One Escapes Mom's spaghetti and watch them do 3 totems and miss NOED.

• WINTERS
    WINTERS Member Posts: 127
    edited September 2019

I don't run that perk and haven't put it on in about 1 year. I don't like relying on that perk. I prefer corrupt intervention.

I never noticed the difference with or without it though because it doesn't last long lol

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,971

I really never played with ruin till it was in the shrine a few weeks ago and I find it a waste of a perk slot because it always spawns in bad totem spots and does nothing

• VESSEL
    VESSEL Member Posts: 1,068

(just a comment to get this back to the top of the recent discussion so new players can give some opinions)

• Akuma
    Akuma Member Posts: 407

I did an exchange. I put in Corrupted Intervention for Ruin.

And it's surprisingly working. This little extra time in the early game is existing. It's consistent and on some maps it's extremely good. Like when you have 3 gens on each side and one in the middle.

It works pretty well also I know that it doesnt feel badly as survivor. Im also trying out Surge. It works also very good on stealth and m1 killer. The impact is slightly but it has an impact and again it's way less frustrating as survivor.

So ruin is completely out of my builds. Surge is more a perk that you use if you care for fun in the game for both sides. PgtW is a very fair perk but as survivor it can be very annoying. That's why I prefer surge^^

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210
    edited November 2019

Killers should have an inbuild Ruin while playing in red ranks, Like a not changeable 5th Perk.

And Hex Perks in general shouldn't be lighted up so the Survivors have to cleanse more of them till they eventually break the right one.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

This. Some killers you can run without Ruin, but those are the top tiers, people like Legion, Bubba, Myers, Huntress, etc need Ruin because they can't pressure gens enough. I know the devs disagree, but ask any great DBD player like Tru3, monto, or puppers and they'll all say the same.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

You have to create additional Objectives for the survivors. Slugging takes longer then a unhook, but you still need to hook people. You need to keep pressure on and the moment you commit too long on a chase your usually guaranteed a loss.

Avoid Inf loops and if you cant get a pallet or a hit within a few seconds rotate to another survivor.

• DeKillerKiller
    DeKillerKiller Member Posts: 547

I used to run Ruin all the time as Freddy, but lately I've been trying to use a build that doesn't rely on it. What I basically got was this:

(Ignore the addons as they are unrelated to the build)

BBQ and Chili is a no-brainer, I want the BP stacks especially during the Bloodhunt. Plus with Freddy's teleportation powers he can pressure the other side of the map without any problem.

I might change out Infectious Fright, but basically I'm using it to put pressure on multiple survivors who are clustered together, allowing me to easily go from downing one survivor to another. But if they are asleep, they don't hear your TR so they might not scream.

STBFL is honestly one of the best killer perks you can have, as it can shorten chases a lot and even punish those risky unhooks to down both survivors at the same time. I recommend this perk on every killer, as the way you gain stacks is simple, just by hitting survivors.

PGTW is what I'm replacing for Ruin. The 20 seconds regression is how I keep the pressure going from across the map. If I see survivors working on generators with BBQ, with PGTW I can make that generator just lose 1/4th of it's progress just like that.

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527

Its a perk that only players who are not skilled enough to apply gen pressure use.

• bigbeefynacho
    bigbeefynacho Member Posts: 351

I use ruin when I run sniper doc. MUHAHAHAHA

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696

I have if you mean by not using ruin have it destoryed in the first 30 seconds and then have to try do anything against 4 red ranks survivors while i'm a green rank killer.

• Magnathema
    Magnathema Member Posts: 27

I run it on most, but not all killers. Since Ruin usually forces people off gens in the early game, I prefer Corrupt Intervention on Ghostface so I can try for an early gen grab. On some killers I use Devour Hope instead, since if there’s no ruin fewer people will go looking for totems. I use DH on Doctor, Wraith, and Legion and it can cause a hard mid-game pause if you can get 3 stacks.

There are other options but I do still use Ruin a lot.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224
    edited November 2019

Hex perks are just not my thing. I would rather have 4 perks all game. Games go faster, but I do not see that as a negative.

As a survivor, Ruin barely slows my pace. The ever present use of Ruin has created an army of survivors who not only expect it, but power through it and destroy it quickly.

Ruin is a newbie destroyer though.

• iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299

Don't run Hex. A lot of survivors have wised up and are starting to carry Small Game. All that does is buy you an extra 20-30 seconds before hearing the cleansed hex thunder. Use other perks instead.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

Well, it is also used by really good killers who want a cherry on top.

• Kaiju
    Kaiju Member Posts: 530

A year ago PGTW is a way better perk

• I have not used since 2016 and never will

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

I play hillbilly and hag without ruin since i've gotten to the point where i dont need it on them. also unless i suck at a killer i always use pgtw instead of ruin on them.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

Honestly I started to phase it out completely.

With how common it became most match especially at high ranks tend to fall into three categories

1) Survivors realise they could just power through it and be more efficient than spending time searching for it. They'll just use it as great practice.

2) They have memorized of where totem spawn meaning that they could essentially find it very quickly without the need for small games. When I play survivor especially on the game I could practically guarantee I can find most hex totems very quickly.

3) Your totems gets spawned in a really terrible position to the point where the survivors actively have to try not to see it. Looking at you Asylum Totem

Actually started using things like thrilling tremors, corrupt intervention, pop goes the weasel or surge.

Their effects are a lot more guaranteed and all can't just be taken away within the first 15 seconds of a match.

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 715

He streams on Twitch sometimes, you can watch vods on there no doubt.

Yesterday iirc he was playing SWF with another streamer and was a rank 14 survivor iirc.

Sure there will be vods to check though.

• Seanzu
    Seanzu Member Posts: 7,526

Never used it - only time it sees use is when I prestige and I have nothing else to run.

• Avilgus
    Avilgus Member Posts: 1,261

Me: you lose the first generators quickly but at least you can defend the last ones playing 4 perks, Pop, dying light and other anti-gen perks can help. I also think teams can waste time looking for totems believing you play NOED

• SteelDragon
    SteelDragon Member Posts: 745

5/7 of those perks is Noed…… I feel like Noed is a crutch perk 100% since it kinda rewards you for losing tbh.

• SteelDragon
    SteelDragon Member Posts: 745

once I got it I usually never take it off unless I feel like doing a insidious basement leatherface

the few times I have not used it 1-2 gens pop by the time the 1st person is down (purple/red ranks btw) that is a bit difficult to come back from unless you start slugging HARD, I only slug for the 4k because of hatch but other than that I try not to slug that much

• Murph203
    Murph203 Member Posts: 27

Trapper/hag is impossible

• KuromiStarwind
    KuromiStarwind Member Posts: 325
    edited November 2019

You get used to losing and not having fun, basically. Only bad players underestimate the power of even 60 seconds of Ruin being up. It might not matter one way or the other to really good survivors who hit skillchecks, but then at that point guess what? Not a lot in that game at all is going to matter - it's probably already a lost cause. So that's an irrelevant argument.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

Only recently. I use Infectious Fright, Devour Soap, STBFL, and BBQ. My snowball build.