We are investigating an issue around players not receiving their Grade Rewards today, we will give more information as it becomes available. Apologies for the inconvenience.

who still uses self care

Options
ShadowReaper11
ShadowReaper11 Member Posts: 56

who still uses self care 167 votes

All the time
14%
Dwight_FairfieldJEWberryPeasantXaggyStormhaven13grayon444RainbowPatooieDreamnomadshadowman0105KnucklesFog_KingJawsIsTheNextKillerbunnibeeteaTheVVitchRicardiBacardiharpuiajasonq500pleasedontbetoxic117THEghostfaceIceCreamPrincess 25 votes
Most of the time
10%
Hail_to_the_KingSpacingLlamasAK72209arslaNAshleyWBRamxenoc445shepherd404Micheal_MyersZwyczajneKonto123320then4321nunadventuresJiggleWiggleMrPenguinDr_LoomisChatkovskiToxicboiiStupidPallets 17 votes
Sometimes
15%
FibijeanIhatelifeSblitcherKelxZeroStrikeElkBunnyTheHuttad19970AzurlynxTucking_FriggeredNegiCreeRoyaltyGrootDudeNuclearBurritoABannedCatPennosukeMysticAdvisorhumanbeing1704DocSparksTheALIEN 26 votes
Almost never
26%
myers_obsessionArk_the_BonsaiStevoRattmanPandomInjiMister_xDVolantConch1719AcesthetiicAkhatenXpikselbrokedownpalaceBBQnDemogorgonblue4zionReconeticI_am_NeganTheRockstarKnightNoShinyPonyxEaBoosted_Dwight 44 votes
Never
32%
MandyMc_HartyaltruisticRizzodragobvAdelookodiakyBlueberryCakeDutyJetTheWaffleCatPfefferooneyEstruperNoFacegrtf47TragicSolitudeHoodiedCJsDBDMert_MKLeonardo1itawhammigobambam 55 votes

Comments

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    Options
    Sometimes

Usually only when I play a survivor who I have no medkits on.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    Options
    Never

Never nowadays.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options
    Sometimes

It's no longer in my main build, but I occasionally use it when I want to use a toolbox or flashlight.

• FishFry247
    FishFry247 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Almost never

I realeased how much better botany knowledge is and just run it with a ok medkit instead

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,734
    Options
    Sometimes

I got dbd in April so I never experienced pre nerf self care

• CrowFoxy
    CrowFoxy Member Posts: 1,310
    Options
    Never

It's a really bad perk now, just because of sloppy and healing changes way back when. I remember using it every game back in the day, but damn it is so bad now.

I remember when it was 80% lmao, extremely OP.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171
    Options
    Almost never

I sometimes play with Random perks so I can't truthfully say never.

Outside of that though, I prefer Pharmacy, Bond, or Adrenaline as ways to heal.

• altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Never

Self Care is a terrible perk.

Inner Strength 100x’s better.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    Options
    Never

I Almost Never used selfcare like a year ago.

Today I Never use it, period.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,349
    Options
    All the time

I am potato.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Options
    All the time

I always use it but I run a medic build o Quentin so I have Botany as well.

• Reconetic
    Reconetic Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Almost never

Recently stopped using self care to try something diffrent in that perk slot

• Stevo
    Stevo Member Posts: 121
    Options
    Almost never

I used to use it before the healing nerf, though nowadays I would occasionally randomise my perk loadout and would use self care if I got it then. I would also sometimes use it with No Mither for the memes, but I would never willingly choose this perk for a proper loadout. Too much of a waste of time. You can find someone else or heal via a medkit quicker, or alternatively not heal at all and wait for Adrenaline or reap the benefits of Resilience and other perks which require you to be injured. Been recently enjoying using Better Together which can also help teammates find you without perks of their own. Quite a list of options better than self care really.

Bond - find teammates to get them to heal

Empathy - find other injured teammates or avoid those who are injured and being chased, better idea of where not to go so staying injured isn’t as risky.

Adrenaline - who needs healing (when injured specifically) when it’s not a part of the survivors objective? Just do gens fast and you’ll get a health state for doing the primary objective.

Inner Strength - Doing a secondary objective to have an on demand health state is always nice. While it’s capped at 5 uses, it still helps encourage removing totems.

Better Together - As I explained above, this can help teammates locate you while doing the primary objective. You also get a glimpse of where the two remaining survivors are if the third one goes down while you are doing a gen.

Finding a teammate while using Leader - Heals take less time for those healing you. Stacked with perks of their own can increase that further.

A Medkit - heals you over double the speed of self care, though has limited uses. Charge addons or Speed addons also further this one. Botany and Streetwise increase efficiency more than Self Care does too.

One of your teammates runs We’ll Make It and / or Botany Knowledge. One makes heals take 8 seconds after an unhook, the other brings it down to ~12 seconds I believe. You don’t even have to have anything in this case aside from finding the survivor running one of these.

Pharmacy (+ Plunderer’s if you struggle to find chests) - Guaranteed Green Medkit, though relies on teammates not finding and taking chests first.

Perks which have the prerequisite of being injured - Resilience, This is Not Happening, Dead Hard can all only be used while injured. I personally like combining No Mither with at least one of these.

Only benefits to using self care is that your team doesn’t need to leave a gen to heal you and it can be used infinitely... not much else going for it really since it’s simply outclassed by other options.

TL;DR - Self Care is arguably one of, if not, the worst of about 10 different ways to get healed. Not worth using in a loadout you want to do well with. Sorry for the wall of text. There’s probably errors too since predictive text is beyond drunk on mobile 🤷‍♂️

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798
    Options
    Never

Self care is a bad perk. Waste too much time

• Inji
    Inji Member Posts: 1,096
    Options
    Almost never

Only when I'm using an aggressive build and I plan to take hits for people.

• Clockso
    Clockso Member Posts: 853
    Options
    Never

waste of a perk slot against certain killers, wastes too much time, other perks do the job better and you can get teammates to heal you

• shepherd404
    shepherd404 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Most of the time

when did this nerf happen and what changed? I didnt realize this isnt the most important perk to learn first anymore.

I switched from xbox to pc so im starting from nothing in my perk pool, but during the switch i was on hiatus from dbd since after summer bbq event (ill miss my pro-pain hammer)

• Stevo
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Almost never

The nerf happened a while back, can’t remember exactly when, though healing was changed from 12 to 16 seconds, which translated to self care Speed is 24 to 32 seconds. There’s far more worthwhile ways to get healed, heck, a lot of people don’t heal at all just so they can rush gens and get Adrenaline to pop. It can still have it’s benefits of infinite use and not require a teammate, it just takes a lot more time than someone else healing you or just powering through gens.

• shepherd404
    shepherd404 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Most of the time

i appreciate the feedback, im less survivor than killer but i switched so i can enjoy being scared by chainsaws for the month of october. Adrenaline has always been a nice perk to unlock, I may switch to meg then to prioritize it as my first shareable perk. what are the other ways to heal? Or the other more useful perks in your opinion?

• Stevo
    Options
    Almost never

I made a full list in a comment above here in all other ways to deal with being injured.

Adrenaline is regarded as one of the meta perks currently, since it heals you one health state for your team doing your primary objective in the event you are injured or dying, as well as giving you the 5 second speed boost. I personally don’t use it, though when playing killer I usually see this on at least two survivors.

Some perks require you to run them, others require other survivors to run them, but the best one currently in my opinion is Nancy’s perk Inner Strength as it incentivises removing totems to get a health state for going into a locker for half the standard healing time, or a quarter of the self care healing time. If you don’t own Nancy though you could always go for Botany Knowledge (Claudette) / Streetwise (Nea) and a Medkit to heal yourself, or use Leader (Dwight) to give those healing you 25% better healing speed. For the full list, see my wall of text further up in this thread :)

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options
    Never

Just run a medkit or pharmacy!

Atleast Pharmacy improves chest opening speed

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,741
    edited October 2019
    Options
    All the time

I always use it. The way I look at it is med kits run out. I don't want to go looking for chests that are likely looted already. I don't want to rely on team mates to always heal me. I am wasting time going looking for someone, then you find someone and then that is two people not doing gens because they have to stop to heal me up.

I prefer to be self sufficent and just heal myself up.

• Toxicboii
    Toxicboii Member Posts: 442
    Options
    Most of the time

I run it more often than not. But that's because I don't have any suitable alternatives. I'd bring a Medkit, but I tend to have less than most, so I save them for later.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145
    Options
    Never

Nah. It's a waste of my and my teammates time.

• Knuckles
    Knuckles Member Posts: 218
    edited October 2019
    Options
    All the time

I'm not a good juker or looper so I tend to get smacked a lot. 99% of time I'll run it unless I play Nancy and jump in the locker for a quick heal. I'll take a med kit also to use on others.

Post edited by Knuckles on
  • DocSparks
    DocSparks Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Sometimes

I do when I plan to heal others so I can still heal myself without wasting the medkit

• SinisterDog
    SinisterDog Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Never

The way I see it is a decent medkit gives 2 heals on average, if you need more than 2 heals per game it's probably because the perk you could be running in place of self care is disadvantaging you. We all know the survivors win when less time is spent doing non generator actions and frankly the 32 second heal is not worth it, people love to argue that in conjunction with other perks the perk becomes quite decent, but the problem with that is you're running 2 perks for the equivalent of 1 decent perk.

• RainbowPatooie
    RainbowPatooie Member Posts: 322
    Options
    All the time

I can't rely on randos

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Options
    Most of the time

I can't trust randoms either. They are the true killer.

• VolantConch1719
    VolantConch1719 Member Posts: 1,150
    Options
    Almost never

Kind of hard when Claudette is only Lvl 33 and you don't use the shrine.

I do use it on Claudette though.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773
    Options
    Sometimes

If I have no med kits, then yea I bring Self Care, but otherwise I'm just gonna bring Adrenalin and use a med kit too heal myself.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Almost never

I've replaced it with a medkit with added charges and botany, much better!

If I want to bring other items I'll swap out bk for either bond or self care

• Dicklaycia
    Dicklaycia Member Posts: 147
    Options
    Almost never

I’ll run it when I’m leveling someone new up and it’s all I’ve got, but I won’t use it in any of my primary builds. I used to use it all the time, though, but then I got used to operating without it and no longer have much of a drive to equip this perk anymore.

• Micheal_Myers
    Micheal_Myers Member Posts: 1,147
    Options
    Most of the time

Gotta heal somehow if all my teammates are dead lol...

• Xaggy
    Xaggy Member Posts: 330
    Options
    All the time

Med-kits will be buffed so SC won't be so needed.

• JiggleWiggle
    JiggleWiggle Member Posts: 327
    Options
    Most of the time

I use selfcare only on lower ranks when im playing on another account. People who are new to the game almost never heal you directly after unhooking they just sprint away so it comes in handy below rank 15

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,685
    Options
    Never

Can't remember the last time I ran Self Care. I'm really bad and go down quick, and I play solo, so I probably should run it, but it just wastes so much time.

• fluffymareep
    fluffymareep Member Posts: 634
    Options
    Never

I've been running Inner Strength a lot. If I'm not running that, it's either Bond, Empathy or Iron Will. Something to find people with.

• Micheal_Myers
    Micheal_Myers Member Posts: 1,147
    Options
    Most of the time

I run Inner Strength with it so I can save my inner strength for the E.G.C

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669
    Options
    Almost never

on very rare occasions

• CakeDuty
    CakeDuty Member Posts: 993
    Options
    Never

Meant to click Almost Never. I've only used it a couple of times since Clown came out, but that was for my "Neverending" medkit build, where I use that, Botany and Streetwise.

• Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Almost never

Realised that Inner Strength have much more potencial. It encourages to do totems (which still give emblem progress), counters NOED and ignores mangled effect.

Edit: realised that it also counters Nurse's calling.

Post edited by Rattman on