The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The problem with what's considered a "GG" and why that concept is twisted now a days...

2»

Comments

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

My definition of a good game is one where everyone played well and fairly. I find that you can usually tell what kind of attitude your opponent(s) are playing with just from the way they play. If everyone is a good sportsman generally and puts in their best effort, I consider that a good game and say so, regardless of the outcome.

I only say gg if I genuinely thought it was a good game, because I like to be honest. Same thing in real life - if someone says, "How are you?" when I'm having a really difficult day emotionally, I'm not going to tell them I'm doing well. The furthest I'll go in the name of politeness is "I'm alright" or "Not so great, honestly, but it's okay". So when it comes to games, if I thought the game was good and everyone played well, I'll say so. If I face a bm'ing killer (whether I win or get crushed), or if I accidentally crush a baby killer, I don't really think of that as a good game - though in the latter case I might still say gg by way of encouragement.

What it comes down to, in my opinion, is that what constitutes a good game is highly subjective. And while I appreciate it when people say gg even though I know they had a bad time, I don't expect it, because I don't believe it's reasonable to expect someone to lie for the sake of upholding social convention. If they want to say gg, that's nice. If they don't, that's fine, I move on to the next game. Personally, I only say it if I feel it's warranted.

• MeatBycicle
    MeatBycicle Member Posts: 756
    edited October 2019

To be honest I see way less GG's from survivor side than killer. If killer crushes or not, unless the survivors bullied the entire game I will say 60% of the time the killer will at least say GG.

Survivors on the other hand, usually won't say anything if they die, (like you said it could be because they left). You see this a lot with a 4 man SWF, every game they escape GG, every game they lose silence.

• Spicybarbecue
    Spicybarbecue Member Posts: 183

the term GG is 90% of the time used as a BM

ppl generally only say it when they win, and they say it it to see if you will say it back so that they can give their ego a false boost when you don't. "oh look he's salt" tehy will tell themselves., it's really childish and sad TBH.

note that these ppl generally never say GG when they lose, rather ironic eh.

• OriginalSin
    OriginalSin Member Posts: 22

I just can't rubberstamp every match with a gg. Gg would lose all meaning if I did, just me clacking a standardize set of keys at the end of match screen. All matches aren't created equal. I feel, in a sense, that giving an insincere platitude can be as bad as an insult. If I feel people did well, played well and fairly. Most matches I give a gg, and a gg shout out to good players for certain plays, whether it be killer or survivor. It makes so when I do say gg I truly mean it as a well deserved compliment.

• OGOzSnowChimp
    OGOzSnowChimp Member Posts: 247

I message most of the people after a match and say GG. Sometimes I extend out a comment about how they really ran me around like an idiot or something like that. Maybe a cheeky comment on how they got lucky but next time it's not going to go down like that.

• grtf47
    grtf47 Member Posts: 371
    edited October 2019

a gg means you had fun/are satisfied

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
  • I had to drink a glass of water after reading this

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

I've not said GG in +1 year, at least.. but its due to me having the chat disabled. I used to say GG after basically every game before that.

• OGOzSnowChimp

It sucks for most people that they aren't Australian...

Not that I know how the regions and match making work... I mean does anybody know how the matchmaking really works?

• Raven014
    edited October 2019

Wait, you are Aussie? Well that's awkward...

Right now, it's more based on regions: Oceanic, Europe, North America... so those in those areas are matched together.

Post edited by Raven014 on
  • OGOzSnowChimp

Born and bred.. well... my Dad is a Kiwi and my mother a Brit... but still... Aussie as...

• Raven014

I am too. I just assumed you were in america right now or something. People never seem to message after a match. : /

• OGOzSnowChimp

That's a shame. After match convos are sometimes great.

• Rinthespooki
    Rinthespooki Member Posts: 255

(Be warned this is long and idk if this is categorized as a vent but i really want to say this)

Had this huge ######### of a survivor in my killer match that went and dropped all pallets in the match then dc'ed.

This pretty much trivialized my match.

Was it easy? Yes for obv reasons.

Did i enjoy? F* no. The dc did not want to play against "insert killer here" so they either dc or screw over the teammates then dc.

After the match, i advised the other 3 to report that guy for what he did (but i doubt reporting does anything)

For survivors who dc because they face "insert killer here" in a match? I really hope you get banned because that kind of move is just scummy.

Another match was as a huntress (ritual)

I just wanted to do my ritual so i equipped the fast wind-up addons (been a while since i played huntress)

Match went usually normal , i find survivors, i chase em, i use all my hatchets then reload quickly (iron maiden ftw) normal match.

Then i downed a bill and hooked him.

Normally i would go find another survivor (someone broke ruin after i hooked bill) buuut that changed when crows nearby got disturbed (the crow was 15 meters)

Soo i patrolled around the area and would you know, a dwight! Soo i chased this dwight , injured a kate in the chase , then i down him.

Now here comes the big brain play : kate that was injured ran to dwight and insta healed him (purple).

Managed to down dwight again and quickly m1'd kate that was about to unhook bill.

Afterwards i camped not knowing where the other guy (lots and i do mean lots of matches i have survivors bumrushing the hooked guy not allowing me to leave) is and im expecting him to try to unhook bill (he made the smart play to heal himself far away tho but i found that out later)

After that, kate dc'es, bill suicides (not sure if he did suicide i could be wrong) and i chase/hook the last guy.

Pretty much steamrolled them (not an actual steamroll because of a dc but i needed the bp from the ritual)

They started to insult me for camping 2 downed survivors near the hooked survivors.

What else was i supposed to do? The hooks were too far from each other, had no agitation and had no info about the last guy.

Idk what to say here, a killer is not allowed to think smart and just blindly play like a bot? Feels like its 2017 again...

• Adeloo
    Adeloo Member Posts: 1,448

i don't see GG the same.

For me it's just a way of saying : thanks for playing.

I'll gg + have a good day every freaking game : even if i get destroyed as survivor/killer or even if i escaped/killed everyone.

I see "gg" as a form of respect and actually not seeing any gg back in the chat is always really unrespectful or unpolite from my perspective.

I don't play scummy on any side (bringing items or meta perks as survivor/ tunneling, camping or moring as killer) so my chat end, most of the time, by a "<3" from a teammate of the opponent.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314

I think the common issue of "If I don't 4k or escape than I didn't win" argument is in play there.

Some people just don't want to lose no matter what.

• FireHazard
    FireHazard Member Posts: 7,314
    edited October 2019
  • kaoraku
    kaoraku Member Posts: 247
    edited October 2019

The main problem is that you want to tell others, how and why they should play this game. Everybody enjoy different things in a game. However everybody should tips that for the others it wouldn't be a gg, so should just say wp to be polite - but this is also something, what you shouldn't and what you can't force. You have to accept that some people enjoy the other's suffering

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768

That's what i do too. You can hear things like "gg wp all except the flashlight bad word" from me.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,316

I feel like your assuming alot here. Assuming someone has a secret ulterior motive and that them saying GG, which is a sign of a good sport, as secretly being childish...

• DeKillerKiller
    DeKillerKiller Member Posts: 547

If I play well as the killer, I usually stick around in the post game chat, say "gg" and "well played" if they played amazingly as a team or as solo survivors.

But if I just got absolutely demolished, not being able to build up pressure, not being able to hook even a single person, I don't stick around and complain about the game not being fun. I just continue to my next game. After all I lost, and if I felt frustrated the whole match, I wouldn't be inclined to say I had a "Good Game".

Whoever thinks that "winning" is the only means to having fun is kidding themselves. Especially since DBD is not at all a competitive experience, it's a casual party game as best. If you don't get a 4k and you're complaining about it in post game chat, then you probably shouldn't be playing killer.

Being a killer requires more patience and concentration than a survivor, basically you're going to constantly stress yourself if you're just thinking about going for the win. I honestly don't get people who think that being competitive in a game like this is fun, neither survivor or killer. What's the point in stressing yourself in a game?

But I digress, I went a little off topic there. I will though, this has been happening long before games like Dead by Daylight are a thing. What constitutes a "good game" for some people is literally a matter of winning or losing. So no, it hasn't be "twisted". It has always been this way for some.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

I see this as well.

Example, playing as Pig (STBFL,BBQ,SF,Enduring,no addons). A decent length match with 4k, all gens done, and 3/4 survivors three hooked. The survivor two hooked, died bc the last survivor completed a gen, called it a snooze and they had terrible teammates.

If you don't find enjoyment in the game don't play it.

• karatinac97
    karatinac97 Member Posts: 210

@Sinful_Dreams Yeah I was just about to comment about console being different.

I don't play killer so I can't say anything about that (pretty sure my connection can't handle it) but I've got good and bad messages from both killers and survivors.

I've had a Nurse accuse me of being SWF & gen rushing and told me I should be embarrassed (I'm solo). Another just swearing at me. Survivor who called me a loser because I escaped as he got downed. Managed to talk him round and said I was injured with no way to heal myself and just had awful round and he was actually alright about it.

Surprisingly, most of mine are actually friendly messages. If I message a killer I always say GG immediately so they know I'm not there to insult them - had a killer immediately go on the offensive when I created a message group as he thought I was gonna throw hate, they were a bit embarrassed after they read my nice message lol. So I always immediately say gg to avoid that.

I think on console most people can't be bothered to go through the process of setting up a message compared to the end game chat on PC.

• OGOzSnowChimp

I'm pretty sure you knew I wasn't serious about the matchmaking comment. I was just having a go at it. I've made some good south american friends because of the quality of the match making we have had.