Why do ppl think the clown has one of the worst powers in the game?

Options
BenZ0
BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
edited January 2020 in General Discussions

Actually Clown has a really good and strong power, probably one of the best anti loop powers. I hear and read alot of ppl complaining that Clown is so bad because his power needs a rework. I personally think that is not true at all. I would consider myself as a really good Killer main and good clown player. And I NEVER have issues catching survivors. In a decent balanced map "Badham" I catch a survivor in 1min at max time. Depends on if the survivor is at the school pallets or not because they are pretty damn save.

His bottles are fine I would say just the reload speed is to slow, the brown addon should be baseline. What Clown truly needs is a secondary power OR the gentimes overall needs to be adjusted. In this case giving Clown a secondary power that somehow slows down the gens or gives him more map pressure. You can consider Clown as a Freddy without Teleport, he has a great anti loop ability but has NO map pressure.

What do you guys think?

Post edited by BenZ0 on

Comments

• Dr_Loomis
    Dr_Loomis Member Posts: 3,703
    Options

He's my favourite killer.

• BenZ0
    Options

@Murcielago

Yeah that is obvious, I never mentioned that Clown is as good as Freddy xD I just took the snaires as a comparison.

• BenZ0
    Options

@Dr_Loomis

I like Clown and I wish he had more map pressure then I would play him ALOT aswell

• Murcielago
    Murcielago Member Posts: 163
    Options

Don't get me wrong I would enjoy using clown if he had a good power another thing is Freddy can apply his debuff multiple times in a chase if they hit blood pools clown is one big arena

• BenZ0
    Options

@Murcielago

I personally think the bottles are fine as they are, compared to freddy you dont spam them, you have to think how to through them to cover as much area as possible, a example, most clowns throw a bottle to the ground on a corner of a jungle gym, but you can actually throw those bottles on top of the gym so the gas will spread around the entire gym.

But besides that, what are you suggestion to improve clown? I would think that besides the Reload, the extra slow addons should be baseline aswell because compared to Freddy clown has to reload so the extra slow would definatly make sense.

• Murcielago
    Murcielago Member Posts: 163
    Options

Well his blinding effect could be better on the bottle it's not really effective and on some skins it is useless because you can clearly see him maybe give more of a slow as well so it's not like one of Freddy's abilities

• Ohnoes
    Ohnoes Member Posts: 608
    edited January 2020
    Options

Honestly I think he would be better if there was simply a multiplier effect in place if hit consecutively.

Post edited by Ohnoes on
  • BenZ0
    Options

@Ohnoes

Thats a great idea! But atleast from the visual effect it does stack, if you get hit by 2 bottles the blurred vision will take longer and you see even less. There is no confim for that but it feels like that if that happens to me I guess.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    Options

His power is fine when you know how to effectively use it in chases.

The problem is he doesn’t have much going for him outside of good chase potential. He isn’t great at applying map pressure or juggling multiple survivors.

Having quick chases isn’t enough to win the game. You need ways to keep the other survivors occupied even if your chases only last 15 seconds.

• BenZ0
    Options

@ClickyClicky

Yep exactly thats what I meant, he needs something to travel the map faster or somewhat what doctor or legion has, a ability that forced survivors to do something else, even if its just a few seconds.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Survivors that are hit with a bottle should have to do something

Like sober up or something

Bassicly so it's possible for you to throw a bottle at a survivor and then leave them knowing they have to waste their time with something

• ChiTenshi
    ChiTenshi Member Posts: 877
    edited January 2020
    Options

The issue with Clown is that he has a zoning tool that mildly helps him in a chase, nothing else.

His anti-loop power is okay but not the best and too add-on reliant. Killers such as Nurse, Hillbilly, Huntress, etc can do a better job by ignoring the loop or forcing Survivors to use the pallet early.

I do agree his reload speed should be altered, it should be based on how many bottles he has left.

• ClickyClicky
    Options

I think everyone has mentioned this by now so hopefully Clown gets something new next. Just something to keep the other survivors a little busier.

His chase power is fine but I wouldn’t mind reload being a little shorter or him having 5 bottles instead of 4. I think with Clown they played it safe as they were worried about him being OP in chases but then Freddy comes out with snares that slow the survivor longer and be can spam them over and over in chases. That said I dont think it will be an excuse to buff Clown because I personally think Freddy will be nerfed as he seems to be “overperforming” at the moment.

I know they mentioned they want to change the chainsaw killers soon but Clown was my main for a longtime. Still is deep down and I own all of his cosmetics aside from the recolours so I’m really hoping be’s the next killer they revisit.

• BenZ0
    Options

@Sonzaishinai

Exactly!

My Idea was that the clown gets a second ability, a other toxic bottle and if he hits a survivors with that he has to throw up that takes 4 sec to channel and it can be interrupted. The bottle is bigger so its easier to hit you with that, you can throw them with a short cooldown "5 sec maybe?". Dont need to reload for them. While you are "sick" and you have to throw up, you cant do gens and cough loudly but it doesnt damage your health.

• BenZ0
    Options

@ClickyClicky

Agree! I hope so too. They mentioned myers and pig will get a look into too. Hope same goes to legion but they didnt confirm anything ;C

• Dr_Loomis
    Options

Everybody Loves The Clown by Nirvana (UK).

It's on YouTube. The Clown's Merciless theme! 🤡🍻🔪

• BenZ0
    Options

@Dr_Loomis

Still waiting for shirtless Clown :P

• BenZ0
    edited January 2020
    Options

@Sairek

Thanks for that list. I personally dont have any bugs you mentioned there, idk maybe you play on console? But I have to agree that the "arc" throw of the bottles are pretty annoying sometimes and hinders the clown more than benefits him. He should get more bottles as baseline and a faster reload as basekit. His "HUH" while he vault is fine, I find that pretty funny and thats a meme from me and a friend :D It isnt that bad honestly.

I personally think that the extra slow bottles should be baseline too, since a gad cloud should hinder survivors more than a blood pool on the ground for my opinion. You should be longer effected by the toxin too. So to sum it up:

-Increase Reload speed to the brown addon as baseline

-Increase amount of Bottles to 6

-Reduce the arc throw by 50%

-Increase bottle fly speed

-Toxification from 2sec should be increased to 3 sec.

-Flask of Bleach as basekit

Also as I mentioned. A map travel ability or a ability to occupie survivors somehow. My idea with the throw up bottles or a bottle that you can drink to increase your movementspeed ALOT but you cant hit in that duration.

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047
    Options

You are suggesting pretty heavy buffs there, so Clown is in fact weak if even you acknowledged how much love he needs.

• Dr_Loomis
    Options

100% with the the inability to fast vault when intoxicated. Always thought it should be more like Doctor's shock effect.

That would be quite a buff!

• BenZ0
    edited January 2020
    Options

@Marcus

I never said Clown is strong, I am saying that his basepower is fine and dont needs a rework. Ppl consider the gas cloud bottles are not good and bad made. I wanted to say with this post that his base idea of the power is actually pretty cool and good.

Edit: And exepct for extra slow bottles, which buff do you consider as "heavy"?

• Dr_Loomis
    Options

Also on the subject of 'worst power': Legion. By a country mile.

• BenZ0
    Options

@Dr_Loomis

Legion has a power? :D

• BenZ0
    Options

@Sairek

On Plague that happens to me alot, when my vomit touches the survivor for a second sometimes they even do the "infection" animation for a sec but then nothing happened. That is annoying as hell^^

• Jacksansyboy
    Jacksansyboy Member Posts: 174
    Options

Clowns power is perfectly fine, and shouldn't be changed. They just need to give him some other ability that adds pressure, whether it slows down the people he's not chasing, or lets him move to gens faster

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

Only thing I hate when playing Clown, more so than any other Killer I play.....Maps...what Map you get can greatly affect how useful your bottles may even be...

• goat10em
    goat10em Member Posts: 749
    Options

Exactly what this person said. Also, I have a hard time bringing myself to play the clown and toss slow down bottles at people when I can just hit them with a hatchet with a very similar mechanic.

• TheCrookedMan
    TheCrookedMan Member Posts: 282
    Options

Having fast chases are enough. Downing and hooking a survivor is pressure all its own. His chase potential isn't fast enough though, like Nurse, Spirit, and Huntress.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,023
    Options

Except typically the snares are better. They're pretty comparable at countering small loops, but for the bigger loops like ironworks god window... While you can place afew snares to kill it pretty easily, throwing a bottle is pretty useless since the smoke is likely to be gone by the time you come back around.

A large problem Clown has is the same thing Doc has. Once you starts a chase with someone, everyone on the map knows about it. Its easy to tell exactly WHERE you are due to the Clown's gas making people scream and its easy for the other 3 people to stay productive since they know you're busy, even if they dont see you. Add on the lack of mobility and they typically have too much of a feeling of safety. I KNOW I'm safe when screams are occuring on the opposite side of the map, and I know im safe for awhile afterwards because you still have to walk over to me.

For other killers who are deemed more lethal, they either offer good mobility to allow them to cross the map and pressure me immediately after a hook, or I DONT know their location at any given time and have to worry about a possible ambush out of nowhere at any given time. Freddy has BOTH of these between his teleport allowing him to get around and his Lullaby being omnidirectional. Typically when a mobility killer hooks someone and then you hear their TR come close to you really fast...you know which direction their approaching from. Freddy could be approaching you from ANY direction, making his kit offer abit of a stealth aspect as well.

Another example of a killer who doesnt suffer from quite the same issues is Huntress. Although shes slower, shes able to pressure survivors across the map alot of times. Being outside her TR doesnt mean I'm safe I still have to keep an eye out for flying hatchets. Add in her small TR and really large omnifirectional hum, and often times she can get closer to you than you realize because it sounds the same when shes at 21 meters than when shes at 45 meters. Is it safe to heal now, or are you in nurse's calling range? Unless you have LOS on her, often times you dont know and that 45 meter range puts you in her humming range too often to stay overly paranoid all game.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,096
    Options

Clown is weird. His power is good because it gives you the last bit of oomph you need to get a hit when you've done everything else right and just need to take care of the inherent safety of the tile. It really only helps if you already know what you're doing as a killer. But if you already know how to chase efficiently, Clown's power may not be something you go for in a killer, as it can be countered by just dropping pallets in many cases.

• ImLeslieKetamine
    ImLeslieKetamine Member Posts: 119
    Options

Freddy does everything Clown does, but better.

• ClickyClicky
    Options

@mistar_z I may be alone but I find him fun to play as AND against.

You’re exactly right though. People had huge faith in him when he came out because of how quickly he ended chases. While I wouldn’t mind some tweaks like faster default reload speed or him not being slowed as much while throwing bottles his power isn’t bad at all and can end chases quickly and I think people are assuming that its useless.

As you say his entire problem stems from the fact that he can’t juggle other survivors nor does he have anything to keep them busy nor does he have mobility.

• Sonzaishinai
    Options

Legion's power is actually pretty good if you play it well

Tracking, stall and bassicly turning you into a oneshot killer

I don't understand how people can think it's a bad power

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,023
    Options

Unlike actual 1 shot killers, Legion gives the survivor a speed boost first, which they'll quickly use to get to a strong loop. If Bubba catches you out in the open...your going down. If Legion catches you out in the open, he'll help you fix that with a speed boost to safety. On maps like Crotus prenn asylum, Every time you get that first hit, you can guarantee survivors are just gonna beeline it to the map's overly safe spot.

• Sonzaishinai
    Options

Don't chase the person you just stabbed? Especially if they run to a safe loop

Injure them and then later catch them off guard

If you blindly follow survivors into safe spots then you'll do bad with any killer

That has nothing to do with Legions power but you as a player

• BenZ0
    Options

@Sonzaishinai

If you run around and leave every single survivor after a stab when they get to a loop you will not kill anyone, this is just a timewaste. At certain time you have to keep going for that one survivor, especially if you dont hear your killer instinct.

• Sonzaishinai
    Options

Yes when chases are in your favor you go for it. If they aren't you go until you get a palet and then go back and pressure the other survivors again. Eventually there will be massive deathzones everywhere

You need to be good at m1 chasing. Knowing what can be mindgamed and such. Many people act like m1 chasing is impossible but it's really not.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,664
    Options

I think I heard @Almo mention on their stream that they also think Clown is under utilized / not played well.

I think Clown is pretty ok, but his perks are great (well, 2/3)

• silverwolf4455
    silverwolf4455 Member Posts: 496
    Options

As other people have said, his power is a worse Freddy power. He has no map pressure and good survivors will just throw pallets early.

• ClickyClicky
    Options

He's definitely not played well, as could be said for many killers. I've seen many Clowns who barely use bottles in a chase or chase without having any bottles. They also don't use bottles in loops.

That said when people do know how to play him, everyone agrees he's weak due to map pressure. Even Fungoose said this who Almo quoted as a good killer and he was a former Clown main.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited January 2020
    Options

Stupid idea to give Clown more map pressure:

He has a tiny clown car he can get in and out of.

Clown car lets him move faster and run people over, as well as still throw gas bottles.

Clown car has limited fuel that goes down gradually and once it runs out, the engine sputters out and goes on a long cool-down before the Entity refuels the gas tank. The car cannot be moved except by being driven, so Clown must leave the car behind while being recharged and manually go to it again once it is ready.

• toxic_clown
    toxic_clown Member Posts: 318
    Options

cause people are dumb.

shuts down loops instantly. people that ######### about clowns power are just bad at using it and dont understand what theyre doing.

• Elegant
    Elegant Member Posts: 443
    Options

Clown is super weak. If you play him vs good survivors you will struggle every time. His power is only useful in long chases without corners/angles. When looping survivors just need to throw pallets down early and force him to break the pallet. Breaking the pallet resets the chase and lets the survivor find another loop. His power can definitely help end chases earlier in a lot of different cases, but not enough to matter in a lot of games. Most of the games i do well on clown, i would have done well on any other M1 killer. Like other people mentioned, the clown has no way to apply map pressure and has no way to snowball if he downs someone. He's just an M1 killer that has the potential to sometimes end chases earlier because of his power (map dependent).

• Kongtwenty12
    Kongtwenty12 Member Posts: 140
    Options

Personally I love clowns power. I'm relatively new to playing clown but from my expirience his power is great for directing survivors in a Chase. Their first instinct is to run away from the gas so some well timed bottle throws can completely mess with a survivors loop and if the decide to follow through then the chance of them making a mistake is greatly increased. Plus I love tossing a bottle in the air as I head to a gen and right before I get there it hits making 2 or 3 survivors scream so I can get an idea of if I need to worry about hitting the gen or pursuing the chase.

• BenZ0
    Options

@toxic_clown

Agree

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

I actually like his Power, i just dislike what he doesn't have.

He can put some slowdown in chases and that's it.

He needs fixes anyway, is his personal bug list still at 40+?

• zaquintar
    zaquintar Member Posts: 54
    Options

I think clown is fun to use as a killer. He moves quickly and the bottles are fun to throw, trying to guess where the survivor is going to go to. Also like you say, looping isn't that much of a problem if you have a build that doesn't care about eating pallets. At least you won't be going in circles for long as you force them to drop it by slowing them down with the gas

• BenZ0
    Options

@Boss

Yeah I really love what you can do with the bottles, sometimes I can cover 2 loops with 1 bottle, I feel like a ######### scientist when I did that :D