New Chapter Concept: "Eye of the Storm" | Loads of stuff!

Options
Trwth
Trwth Member Posts: 921
edited February 2020 in Creations

I've played this game for just over a year, since last August I would say. Ever since, I have not stopped and Dead by Daylight has been my go-to since it was free for PS Plus users on PS4. This is exactly the type of game I was looking for and there aren't too many quite like it. This opens up a whole load of new ideas that I plan on contributing to, which is the point of this post.

One Killer, Two Survivors, Nine Perks, Two Survivor Items, and Thirteen Offerings.

I know I'm overhyping this post like it's gonna be something special, but I'm just a little excited. Enough talking, because I know you probably skipped over this not-well-written intro to get to the juicy stuff. I don't blame you. That's why the lore is gonna be really brief and the gameplay stuff is gonna be emphasized the most. Happy reading and see you in the Fog.

---

Killer: The Raindancer

The Raindancer: Basic Backstory

Her name is Eleanor Merryweather. She is an older woman from Kansas City, Kansas who has nothing unique about her. Eleanor's forgettable self frustrates her, and this drove her into writing a book, "The Raindancer", that she hoped would shine some light onto her name. This book speaks of a legend about the vengeance of the common people who are forgotten in the forms of god-like, mythical beings. It wasn't long before the Entity took her in, granting everything Eleanor wanted to wreak vengeance upon her victims in the Fog, while her book remains untouched in the library.

The Raindancer: Stats

Height: Tall

Speed: 4.6 m/s

Difficulty: Easy

Terror Radius: 32 Meters

Weapon: Mace and Chain (Alt. Spiked Mace and Chain)

"A storm-bringing killer, capable of summoning a raging storm using their power, Typhoon, to cause mayhem all across the trial area as long as its altars remain in power. Their three teachable perks, Malediction, Pain Distribution, and Hex: Martyrdom allow them to apply obscene amounts of pressure on Survivors by leeching off the obsession."

The Raindancer Power: "Typhoon"

A mythical deity of legends, The Raindancer can influence the weather within the trial to interfere with the Survivors' chances of survival. By attacking Survivors, they can proceed to one of their Torrential Altars and activate them to strengthen Typhoon.

Call of the Storm

At the beginning of the trial, The Raindancer starts with 2 Tokens. Additional tokens are earned by downing Survivors, up to a maximum of 3 Tokens. (There are five altars in total.) Tokens can be consumed by interacting with an inactive altar, which will empower Typhoon, causing the following effects:

• Causes Rainfall when at least one altar is active. Each active altar increases the rain intensity and how quickly Survivors will be soaked.
  • Thickens the clouds and fog, thereby reducing visibility at certain distances.
  • When at least three altars are active, generators affected by Rainfall will slowly regress while not being repaired. Each active altar increases generator regression speed.
  • While no altars are active, The Raindancer's terror radius is halved.

Survivors exposed to rainfall will progressively become wet. The more wet the Survivor is, the easier they become to track. Wet Survivors will shimmer while exposed to rainfall, and glow brighter the more wet they are. They may combat this by staying indoors, under cover, as well as reducing wetness by standing near completed generators, fire barrels, and other environmental objects that provide warmth.

Survivors can deactivate altars with the Torrential Seal, an item that can be dug up from where a Survivor was previously downed shortly after the fact. While holding the seal, the Survivor can interact with an active altar for a short period of time to shut it down. If they fail a skill check during this time, the seal is destroyed and the altar will be blocked by the Entity for a short duration.

Special Ability: Lightning Strike

The Raindancer can interact with an active altar to use Lightning Strike at the cost of a token. With this ability, The Raindancer may channel the ability to an unrepaired generator, summoning a mighty bolt of lightning to strike that location. This immediately regresses the generator by 50% of its current repair progression, as well as blinding, deafening, damaging, and stunning all Survivors within its area of effect. The time required to channel Lightning Strike is reduced for each active altar.

Special Ability: Storm Flail

At any time, by holding down the Power Button, The Raindancer will charge their flail. After a brief charge-up, pressing the attack button sends the mace hurling forward, damaging the first Survivor it comes in contact with. Charging the mace further will increase its range and velocity.

The Raindancer: Perks

Raindancer's perks are designed to put extreme amount of pressure on Survivors through anxiety and fear. This pressure is drawn from the obsession, who will be victimized in order to activate the said perks.

Pain Distribution

You become obsessed with one Survivor.

When you hit your obsession with a basic attack, they are afflicted with the Deep Wound status effect, with 15 seconds to mend themselves. After your obsession fully mends, a random Survivor in the trial that is not your obsession will yell and reveal their location for 3 seconds, and become Exposed for 40/50/60 seconds.

• The Killer can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.
  • Affected by Luck.

Malediction

You become obsessed with one Survivor.

While your obsession is injured, dying, or hooked, initiating a chase with a Survivor that is not your obsession calls on the Entity to block all vault locations within a 16 meter range for 12/14/16 seconds.

Hex: Martyrdom

A hex that eliminates the hope within the Survivors, drawing power from spilt blood.

You become obsessed with one particular Survivor.

When your obsession is put into the dying state, they immediately lose 20% of their current bleedout timer. If there is a dull totem remaining on the map, this hex is applied to it. All Survivors are then afflicted with the Cursed status effect for 70/65/60 seconds. If the hex totem is not cleansed before the timer ends, the Entity will lash out and injure all healthy Survivors. After which, the affected totem will return to its dull state.

Martyrdom can be triggered again once your obsession has fully healed.

Survivor: Jared Rosemary

Jared Rosemary: Backstory

Jared is a college freshman at Norman Hill University of Engineering and Technology in Kansas, having just graduated from high school and eager to begin pursuing his career to become an inventor. He's very intelligent, talented, and considerate of others, carrying around an umbrella at all times in case it rains while he waits at the bus stop. At this bus stop, he meets a young woman a bit older than him on a rainy day, where he holds his umbrella up to shield her from the rain. From there, the two became close friends, but never any closer. They met at the same bus stop every day at the same time after class, telling each other how their days went. This goes on for some time, but after a while, the woman began to stand alone in the rain with no umbrella, wondering where Jared could be. She had never told him her name.

Jared Rosemary: Description and Perks

Difficulty: Intermediate

"A thoughtful scholar, striving to build strong relationships that'll guide him and his team to success. His three teachable perks: Little Things, Impromptu, and A Drop in the Ocean, allow him to become stronger by building bonds with other Survivors and search for risky yet efficient solutions."

Little Things

Those previously in danger are galvanized by your courage. Incredible acts of kindness brings you all closer together.

When you unhook a Survivor or another Survivor unhooks you, both you and the Survivor's movement speed are increased by 7% for 40/50/60 seconds while standing within 8 meters from one another. This effect will last for 15 seconds when out of range.

"Whenever there's rain in the forecast, I always pack my umbrella just in case. Even if I don't wind up using for my own good, at least someone stays dry." - Jared

Impromptu

You learn quicker from experience rather than the textbooks.

When you perform repairs, healing, and sabotage for 100/90/80 seconds, Impromptu can be activated by pressing the Active Ability Button while repairing generators, healing, or sabotaging hooks. While Impromptu is active, all skill checks become Great Skill Checks. Each successful skill check reduces the success zone of the next by 50%.

Impromptu deactivates when you fail a skill check.

"When I told her about my fight that day, she understood exactly what happened. It's in human nature to be proud of what you're good at. Though, when you slip up and fail, you crumble in misery." - Jared

A Drop in the Ocean

You become emotionally attached to another Survivor and are bound to their cause.

The obsession's aura is revealed to you in blue within a 24 meter range. Every time you take a hit for, unhook, or complete a co-op action with the obsession, A Drop in the Ocean receives a token, up to a maximum of 3/4/5 tokens. Each token grants the following effects:

• You and the obsession's co-op action speeds are increased by 4% while working with each other.
  • While hooked, yours and the obsession's hook timer is increased by 4 seconds.
  • You receive an additional 20% bonus bloodpoints in the Altruism and Objective categories, up to a maximum of 60%/80%/100% bonus bloodpoints.

All tokens are lost if the Killer becomes obsessed with another Survivor.

• Decreases your chances of becoming the Killer's obsession.
  • The Killer may only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time.

"I wish more people could be like her, having so much wisdom and understanding. It's what keeps you alive." - Jared

Survivor: Austin Douglas

Austin Douglas: Backstory

Austin Douglas is a quiet teenage hero of his town. Mildly disliked by his teachers, but a legend to his rowdy friends who love to shake things up in... not the most healthy way. He and his friends, Brody, Darius, and Connor, are a team of daredevils in the a generic Kansas town who test their limits by teasing authority, whether it be boycotting Connor's father's restaurant business, or graffitiing the signs for political candidates of their town. No matter what conflict arose, Austin could never be caught by the authorities, which Darius calls him "heatproof" because he can take the heat and somehow end up back at Brody's apartment the next day like nothing happened. As odd as it may be, Austin did attempt to pursue a career in engineering at a nearby college since his profile was never identified by the police. Unfortunately, during one of his partner projects, Austin got into a fight with his partner, Jared, and was thrown out of the school. Frustrated and humiliated, he wanted to make Jared pay for being a snitch. So, on a rainy day, he followed Jared on his way to the bus stop into an alleyway where they both stopped as an ominous fog rolled in and consumed them both...

Austin Douglas: Description and Perks

Difficulty: Hard

"An obstinate insurgent, boasting impressive resilience during chases. His three personal perks: Playing With Fire, Take the Heat, and No Apologies grant him powerful chasing abilities at the cost of technical skills."

Playing With Fire

The rush from the intense action and quick decision-making makes your blood boil with excitement.

When you vault windows or pallets 6-5-4 times during a chase, your movement speed is increased by 7% for 20 seconds.

Playing With Fire has a cooldown of 20 seconds and cannot be used while Exhausted.

"You lost'em again? Now that's what I'm talkin' about!" - Brody

Take the Heat

You're willing to throw yourself into the fray as long as you have your buddies to back you up.

Your skill check success zones are reduced by 60% and Great Skill Checks cannot be performed for the duration of the trial.

While you are being chased by the Killer, all other Survivors' Great Skill Check success zones are increased by 30% and grant an additional 1%/1.5%/2% action progression when hitting a Great Skill Check.

When a generator is completed while you are being chased by the Killer, you receive 625 bloodpoints in the Objective category.

• Increases your chances of becoming the Killer's obsession.

"Send the military after this man! It won't even matter, cuz he's heatproof!" - Darius

No Apologies

Even after everything you've done, right or wrong, you're not stopping.

Your repair speed is reduced by 50% for the duration of the trial.

When you are chased by the Killer for 60 seconds, No Apologies activates. The next time you stun the Killer, the Killer receives the Hindered status effect for 25 seconds and you become the obsession if you are not already.

If you escape the trial, you receive +20% bonus bloodpoints in the Boldness and Survival category for each time you stun the Killer, up to a maximum of 60%/80%/100% bonus bloodpoints.

• Increases your chances of becoming the Killer's obsession.

"Just do what you always do and make'em give up on you. You'll be out of there lickity-split!" - Connor

Survivor Item: Umbrella

Umbrella: Item Description

A classic, folding umbrella composed of black polyester material that once kept its previous owner safe from rainfall. Now it is torn and rusted from lack of use, but its time in The Fog seems to have caused a strange energy to form around its cap.

• Causes you and any Survivors within an 8 meter range to become Undetectable while the umbrella is deployed.
  • You are afflicted with the Oblivious status effect while the umbrella is deployed.
  • You cannot run while the Umbrella is deployed.

Umbrella: Add-on Effects

• (Common/Uncommon) Increases Umbrella effective range.
  • (Uncommon) Increases walking speed while deployed.
  • (Rare) Injured Survivors within the Umbrella's effective range will have their groans of pain reduced by 100%.
  • (Rare) Sounds produced by repairs, healing, sabotaging, chest searching, and totem cleansing is reduced by 100% while within the Umbrella's effective range.
  • (Very Rare) Increases the speed in which Survivors within the Umbrella's effective range recover from status effects.
  • (Ultra Rare) Reveals the aura of the Killer for X seconds when the Umbrella is deployed. 5 Charges.

Survivor Item: Satchel

Satchel: Item Description

A brown leather bag with a long strap that can be slung over one's shoulder. The bag has two pockets big enough to hold important items.

• Add-ons can be used to unlock different abilities.
  • Author's Note: More add-ons can be made to "add on" to this idea. Satchels are meant to be good for any situation depending on which two add-ons you choose, or happen to stumble upon when searching chests with Ace in the Hole.

Satchel: Add-on Effects

• (Uncommon) Adds 8 Charges. Unlocks the Self-Heal action. Complete 8 difficult skill checks to fully heal. Each completed skill check grants 1/8 healing progress and consumes one charge. If the action is interrupted or all skill checks are completed, then the add-on is consumed. (Note: You can't heal other Survivors with this add-on.)
  • (Uncommon) Adds 1 Charge. While repairing a generator, pressing the secondary action will trigger a difficult skill check. Succeeding the skill check immediately grants X% generator progress. This add-on is consumed upon use.
  • (Rare) Adds 1 Charge. While repairing a generator, pressing the secondary action will consume this add-on. All Survivors standing within 32 meters of the generator will see its repair progress by the intensity of its aura. When the generator is completed, you will receive 200 bloodpoints in the Objective category.
  • (Rare) Adds 2 Charges. When activated, a charge is consumed and you will no longer leave trails of blood until fully healed. You will passively heal up to 50% heal progression for a duration of X seconds.
  • (Very Rare) Adds 1 Charge. When activated, you are instantly relieved of Blindness, Broken, Deep Wound, Exhausted, Haemorrhage, Hindered, Mangled, and Oblivious. This add-on is consumed upon use.

Offerings

Killer Offerings:

Voodoo Doll

A Survivor starts the trial injured.

• Secret

Conjoined Voodoo Doll

Two Survivors start the trial injured.

• Secret

Shroud of Peril

A Survivor starts the trial near the Killer.

• Secret

Poison Ivy

Enrages the Entity and reduces the timer of the Endgame Collapse by 10 seconds for each generator completed.

• Stacks

Black Nightshade

Enrages the Entity and reduces the timer of the Endgame Collapse by 15 seconds for each generator completed.

• Stacks

Devil's Trumpet

Enrages the Entity and reduces the timer of the Endgame Collapse by 60 seconds.

• Stacks

Crimson Necklace

Calls on the Entity to reveal the auras of the Killer and a random Survivor to all players in the trial for 5 seconds every 60 seconds.

Ghastly Fruit

Grants the Killer Undetectable for 10 seconds every 30 seconds.

Bloodied Branch

Survivors that are unhooked are afflicted with the Deep Wound status effect and have 20 seconds to mend.

• Secret

Survivor Offerings:

Rose Bouquet

Calms the Entity and increases the timer of the Endgame Collapse by 20 seconds.

• Secret
  • Stacks

Trumpet Vines

Calms the Entity and increases the timer of the Endgame Collapse by 60 seconds.

• Secret
  • Does not stack

Bronze Medallion

Brings the offerer the strength to resist one attack that would normally put them into the dying state from the healthy state.

• Secret
  • Author's Note: Say you get chainsawed by Hillbilly. Instead of being downed, you'll get injured and receive a Deep Wound. This applies to being Exposed too.

Forgotten Photograph

Binds the offerer to a Survivor in need. When an injured Survivor within 16 meters of the offerer would be put into the dying state, they will resist the attack and the damage will be channeled to you instead. This effect only triggers once.

• Secret

---

Congratulations! You've made it to the bottom of this post! Good grief, it's finally over... but thanks for your time reading this, and consider upvoting this post so that all this work doesn't go to waste. Thanks again for reading and be sure to leave me some feedback too!

See you in the Fog!

Post edited by Trwth on

Comments

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,695
    Options

I gotta say, this is one of the best chapter I've read on here, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. I love the idea behind the Raindancer. Extreme weather can create for great environmental fear, and it's something we have yet to see in Dead By Daylight. I love the ideas you have, and really my only concerns are slight balance things. I do wonder how the rain and cover system would work for indoor maps though. Is the way Share The Pain is affected by luck, like, a survivor with higher luck is less likely to be the survivor that is revealed? And honestly, my only other criticism is I feel Playing With Fire should be a little easier to activate. Overall, fantastic job!

• alphaholic
    alphaholic Member Posts: 67
    Options

I love these ideas! Very creative, but still falling in line with traditional gameplay in all the right ways. You've clearly put a lot of thought into it and I, for one, am impressed. 💕

• Trwth
    Options

Thanks a lot! And I was prepared for this question, even though it’s not the best answer in the world.

On indoor maps, such as Lery’s, the clouds will accumulate on the ceiling of the hallways and rain will fall through there. The carpeted rooms and the library would be the safe rooms in this case.

Pain Distribution works like so: Survivors with increased luck are less likely to become Exposed, and vice versa. It’s really simple. I’m planning on creating a post to overhaul Luck in DbD, and this is one of the first steps.

Playing With Fire is supposed to be a difficult perk to use. It’s a perk that encourages you to avoid staying in one area, and makes saving pallets really pay off. The drawback is that it does not pair with Exhaustion perks, except for Dead Hard.

• Trwth
    Options

Bumping this in case...

• AwooWolf
    AwooWolf Member Posts: 5
    Options

I- I love these ideas. It pushes all the right buttons, with an incredible idea for a killer and survivors that know each other- which creates a "bond" that'll make it sad if you're playing one and the other dies (think Steve and Nancy). I think that this is so well thought out and I love the ideas- and some of them scare me which is perfect! The writer in me is so pleased. Great job and keep up the incredible work! 😊

• Midori_21
    Midori_21 Member Posts: 723
    edited January 2020
    Options

It's not often I actually like a fanmade chapter, but I think you did a pretty good job so far with this chapter idea. Better than most of what the devs make anymore.

• EnderloganYT
    EnderloganYT Member Posts: 621
    Options

This is actually amazing. wow. I like how you added items and offerings tto, makes it stand out. only issue I have is the rain dancers Storm Flail as that may be very similar to huntress. besides that, No apologies may need a tad bit of tweaking, but overall one of my favorites I've seen

• Trwth
    Options

Thanks for the feedback!

Storm Flail is more like Demogorgon’s Shred if anything, but instead of throwing yourself at the Survivor, you’re sending the flail. Unlike Huntress, the flail is sent straight forward with no arc, and has a limited range, just enough to cover most loops. Missed attacks are also punished, since the flail must return to you before you can attack again.

No Apologies is a “don’t mess with me” perk. If you wanna assert your dominance to the Killer, just use this perk and go nuts. When they get the slow-down, that’s usually the time they decide to leave you, and that Hindered will keep them occupied for a while.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210
    Options

I didn't like the complexity of the killer and the survivor perks that much. You created a perk that helps the survivors gen rush while they are swf. These perks are the worst for randoms,and op on swf.

Secondly,I believe there shouldn't be more survivor items. The entity will give the survivors what little they need to survive. Nothing more,nothing less.

I found your chapter interesting and exciting. I would like further explanation of the killer power,and please don't create a "prove thyself" that has infinite range xd. I can clearly see your points,and everything here is good on paper. But imagine swf gameplay with all these perks,a bit op correct?

Offering wise,I'm ok. The end game collapse is interesting addition,so good job. Otherwise,the "resist an attack" is kinda too op imo. And if a survivor starts injured,they will just heal on the spot,or not,but they won't care. If someone starts injured,while they have no mither, what will happen? Will they get downed,or they won't be affected. A bit 2 op offering for oni imo. I don't enjoy the idea of more gamechanging offerings....

Great job tho. You have exceptional fantasy. Keep on the great work!

-J

• Trwth
    Options

I... don’t think you read everything correctly.

None of the Survivor perks encourage gen-rushing, nor is there a Prove Thyself with infinite range if you’re referring to A Drop in The Ocean, which is actually better for solo-queue. The aggressive perks come with huge drawbacks and require you to put yourself in danger in order for their effect to be useful.

As for the items, the only things we have in this game are toolboxes, medkits, flashlights, keys, and maps(and firecrackers). It’s been that way for years. There’s gotta be more coming eventually. Also, the Entity motivates the Survivors with hope, teasing them by holding an escape in front of them only to take it away before they can grasp it.

Other than that, I’m glad you enjoyed reading. I just wanted to clarify a few things.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSH
    CLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 2,210
    Options

Actually for the items I have to disagree. The entity indeed feeds them with hope,but she doesn't want survivors to get comfy. Imagine that survivors are homeless people,the entity would give them a glass of water an a jar of rotten beans. You suggest of giving them a spoon 😂

A drop in the ocean, and take the heat both promote something to help with genrush. The first one is obvious I believe and the second just says; I'm gonna swf,I'm a red 1 survivor and I will loop the killer infinitely while my team will do gens. Equip a flashlight or an instaheal and it's over :3

• Trwth
    Options

I just want more variety with the items, that’s all. The lore is confusing enough. 😅

As for those two perks, I think I see where you’re coming from. Gen speeds are really fast right now and with the recent change to Ruin, literally anything that increases it further is a horror. I agree. It wasn’t my intent to make any “gen-rushing” perks. Maybe in the future when the base game receives a few changes, specifically to the objective, these perks could be more lenient than a means of ending the game early.

• GeneralSpudmuffin
    GeneralSpudmuffin Member Posts: 311
    Options

This is absolutely amazing. This needs to be seen by everyone at BHVR