If you play both Survivor and Killer, are you happy or upset about the Ruin change overall?

Options

Comments

• Clevite
    Clevite Member Posts: 4,335
    Options

As a survivor I am just fine with the change.

My killer side is a bit annoyed. I can't mess around with my clown as much as I have been without being so try hard.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936
    Options

I like the idea of the new ruin but I don't think it's the right time for a change like this. At the very least, maps should have been adressed before a change like this could happen.

• Hex_KillerMainBTW
    Hex_KillerMainBTW Member Posts: 447
    Options

I could see why ruin was a necessary evil (old ruin) because playing as a survivor I could see how much of a struggle it could be for killers to get at least one hook in before the first gen was popped. Me and a few friends went into a game using mechanic and engineer tool boxes with BNPs and wire sockets on Cold wind farm against an Oni. Two gens were popped before first chase even began. Four escapes with maybe 1-2 hooks on a few people.

However, if the killer is good at finding survivors early in the game, new ruin will be amazing if you can push people off generators, I can see how end game it could be very powerful, however it's also pointless due to it being a totem perk.

As a killer, I do like it mainly because I'm able to get some early game pressure onto players. However, if I find a survivor, end chase and put them on a hook, one or two gens can easily go by. I honestly think that ruin should be removed as a totem perk seeing how it's still easily broken IF the survivors choose to break it. I honestly think that the new ruin will still be hard on new players due to the fact most of them will get off a gen even if it's close to being finished soon as they are in terror radius range. Though, killers such as Freddy, I still don't use ruin on seeing as there's good mobility, but slower moving killers that don't use good information perks will suffer from changes. Hopefully, ruin changes will help killers not chase someone who's moving away from generators.

In all honesty, I believe the new ruin is what surge should have been with a few tweaks. If a generator isn't being worked on within 32 meters it starts regressing. Surge is great despite the fact it's only 8% reduction, and I feel that's why it isn't really being used as much.

• TommyFredo
    TommyFredo Member Posts: 48
    Options

I play 75/25, mostly a survivor. But I do understand the benefits and the downsides of the new Ruin. As a survivor I'm not happy, I prefer a competition and not having Ruin at the beginning of the game is almost a guaranteed 3 gen pop within 5 minutes (for me and my group, not guranteed for every game). Yes, more double pip-ing and ranking up, but until gen times are fixed the game will be a cake walk for me during a SWF. On the killer side it's not fun for many high tier killers, but there will finally be a meta switch.. the first new killer meta in god knows how long. It will separate the good killers from the bad killers, and it'll finally help beginner Killers get the idea that you have to run ruin, or you'll lose, mentality out of their heads. I can't wait to see what killers bring to the table. Great post by the way!

• FearlessHunter
    FearlessHunter Member Posts: 530
    Options

I feel like with the new rank change Ruin was the only way you could learn a new killer without having to worry about being dominated in 5 mins flat. it bought you a bit of time to figure out how the new killer powers work.

I honestly think the devs should have compromised the ruin nerf by either removing the speed addons on toolboxes or made it cap at a certain number

• Kongtwenty12
    Kongtwenty12 Member Posts: 140
    Options

Personally I like the new ruin and doc changes. I'm looking forward to seeing how things play out and what changes they make before the release. I never really use ruin as killer anyways but I might actually use the new version.

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798
    Options

It will be harsher cause it will be easier for noob survs to perform better but good surv will stay the same. I like the concept but I think it is not strong enough for what Ive seen until now

• sneakymeghead
    sneakymeghead Member Posts: 32
    Options

I ONLY play survivor and I'm very HAPPY about the ruin rework 😋

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,880
    Options

Well, it's ok because it removes the time wasted on generator kicks. It also regresses when you chase the person down who was on it. If the Survivors aren't Swf the chances that this one gen is being worked on a few seconds later are pretty low. It's interesting but unfortunately a Hex which can be cleansed pretty fast and early.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    edited January 2020
    Options

I think the Ruin change is mostly good. No matter the rank, there is a good chance you'll have teammmates that simply can't or won't work through it. I also have much more fun in survivor games when Ruin isn't there. If there is a game speed problem, the devs need to see it without a bandaid over it before they can truly address it.

That being said, I caution against what seems to be a trend towards balancing for the lowest common denominator. In any multiplayer game I've ever played, a large portion of the playerbase will somehow find and live at the skill floor, regardless of how low the floor is. You can keep lowering the acceptable floor, but then players won't improve.

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948
    Options

I don't mind it, I have never used RUIN or NOED, long live basement build Trapper and GF. No camping, no tunneling BTW.

Trapper snowball: Use your addons to darken traps, place one trap on each exit gate lever, place trap on one entrance of shack with basement, another one on window, grab another trap but don't place it, go down someone, bring him to basement with Iron Grasp and Agitation, leave basement, placetrap where the pallet is, watch them all fall to their doom.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

That’s what worries me, making the game playabl and fun for new players is great... but it greatly impacts things in red ranks and especially for that top players. I’m not one of those top players but they are just as important to this game as anyone else, maybe more so because if all streamer games turn into five minute long matches with 4 escapes it will be super boring

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,378
    Options

Mostly upset. It took away the only skilled thing about survivor while making killer games more stresssful. I'd rather hang around the green and purple ranks as killer, and not play survivor since there is no longer anything challenging in my eyes

• avilmask
    avilmask Member Posts: 599
    Options

When played survivor, I liked games with ruin more. Because when we had no ruin in the game, it rarely ended "fairly", it's always one side completely murders another. Ruin felt like that one side objective the game was missing, felt like a real obstacle worth pursuing and not just bonus BP.

As a killer I'm that 80% guy, because I like that perk as a survivor, sue me. It gave me an option to be goofy as a killer and I never been upset by hex getting ruined early (well, except first 15 seconds case) because for me ruin was a perk that makes survivors sidetrack and expose themselves, and getting punished if they're too stubborn to get off the gen (or maybe they're just THAT good). Survs got rewarded for leaving their main objective, how could I complain?

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,097
    Options

I can only speak for myself as a rank 1 killer and rank 4 survivor. I don't play with Ruin on killers and I rarely get less than a 2 or 3K. But I also have 1300 hours. There was definitely a time when I thought Ruin was mandatory at red ranks, so I anticipate a lot of killers struggling at first.

• luka2211
    luka2211 Member Posts: 1,433
    Options

I changed my opinion honestly. If they never actually nerfed the band aid fix to gen speeds,they would never be able to tell how bad of a genrush can happen. All that means,is that now they will be able to tell whether or not gens should get nerfed in some way

• luka2211
    Options

Do you really want to have to waste 1 perk slot to have the game be playable? Devs are doing it to be able to see the real gen speed and whether or not gens should get nerfed in some way,which is what killers want, don't you want it too?

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    Options

As killer I only ever used it now and again on Hag so I won't miss it. Most of my builds are about chases not slow down.

As survivor I'm kind of in limbo. While I didn't like Ruin I dont think this ia the correct change. I see an issue of players not wanting to save until the gen is finished. My fear is more players going into struggle on their first hooking in solo queues. Saves are viable if close by but if you arw on a gen far away you can lose most of your progress.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

Spot on, I prefer to not run it. I probably ran it half the time but I could tell the difference in how fast I was “learning,” to apply pressure. I think no Ruin does make you a better killer, teaches you a sense of urgency in chases.

That being said I do hope the nerf gives them numbers to justify a change to gen speed or something else like a new objective entirely to make the games a but longer.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    Options

Yes I'm Happy!!

• Maníaco_da_garrafa
    Maníaco_da_garrafa Member Posts: 144
    Options

I only used Ruin consistently against toolbox stacking and with clown/huntress, but i'm already trading ruin for Corrupt on these killers.

I hope BHVR do something about toolboxes, but at the end of the day, the only thing that upsets me in this shitshow is the following sentence: "It's less useful in the early game, but very useful in the lategame".

• ArrowTheGreat11
    ArrowTheGreat11 Member Posts: 306
    Options

I’m a survivor main and even I know Ruin is basically useless now lol. What makes it bad is that it’s still a Hex, but other than that it’s fine. Killers have many other perks they can use like Surveillance, Corrupt Intervention, Discordance, etc in order to prevent gens being done. Relying solely on Ruin does not make you a good player

• luka2211
    Options

Completely agreed,i stopped using ruin some time ago,and you defo feel the difference and you make less mistakes and become better at the game

• TinyEyedTim
    TinyEyedTim Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2020
    Options

I am sure if I played with the same people and a certain Team all the time I would feel differently, but because I random Que and I feel like a lot of new people random Que....this is a good change i think .

Post edited by TinyEyedTim on
  • monstermaster42
    monstermaster42 Member Posts: 81
    Options

I think its a great change, i may actually use ruin now, since i love to apply pressure and terrorize survivors

• [Deleted User]
    Options

I'm a bit upset because while I think ruin changes themselves are good, the overall gen speeds are still an issue. Honestly, the fact that gen speed reducing perks are an absolute must kinda shows an issue. Though, I imagine if they made it so toolboxes didn't affect repair speed, then while they would still be done fast it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

I just think not addressing both concerns together was a mistake.

• Boosted_Dwight
    Boosted_Dwight Member Posts: 3,059
    Options

I think it came at a bad time. Matchmaking is messed up with red ranks being put with green ranks and most maps are heavily unbalanced. I get that they're gathering data for some potential change but killers are gonna be going through a rough time after this patch and any change BHVR will implement will likely take a couple on months to release.

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822
    Options

Adam Sandler CAN be good, Uncut Gems is kicking maximum butt right now

• EZ5k
    EZ5k Member Posts: 233
    Options

So can this game, but like a majority of his roster, it's been utter garbage. That said, I do actually look forward to seeing Uncut Gems just to see him in a serious role

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822
    Options

"There's no problem lol" is what panderers to that LCD say

• KingHEADBUSTER
    KingHEADBUSTER Member Posts: 75
    Options

Occasionally I play thrill of the hunt, ruin, devour hope, and noed. This is worthless now bc ruin doesn't slow the game down. It was fun while it lasted.

• CotJocky
    CotJocky Member Posts: 219
    Options

As a survivor, I'm sick of seeing ruin most every game, and if there is no ruin and the killer is not really, really good or brand new, there is probably Devour Hope. I can suffer through ruin, but find most people won't and if I don't find the ruin, they might not and no gens will get done. Me being the only one pushing through it is of no benefit to me. Being a gen jockey and then dying because I was only the one doing generators does not make for a fun game or many points. I seach for the totem until it is found so that the game can resume and maybe I can earn some points.

I do play killer and ruin can be a great benefit or downed in 15 seconds. It's definitely "high risk, high reward".

Some of the achievements are going to be harder because of ruin changing. There is not real perk other than corrupt intervention to try and help the initial gameplay down and it is a poor substitute for ruin. I have not gotten "Evil Incarnate" yet and it will be much harder to stalk people to get to tier 3 before they can pop all 5 gens off. It and a few more achievements have just gotten drastically harder because it will be a gen free for all.

So yes, I'm glad ruin is gone, but ruin should not be a crutch that is needed. Ruin was a small secondary objective. The game needs a non perk or non add-on related secondary objective for the survivors other than doing gens. Nothing crazy. Maybe some "parts" stations like the Plague's water fountains. Survivors have to go to one of the "parts stations" and get some parts. You can get enough parts in one stop to do one gen. You have to visit another before you go to another gen. Something like that. Something that adds another objective, but isn't so annoying or luck based like Ruin. Add some kind of point incentive to it for survivors. I agree with a lot of survivor mains. They nerfed ruin without fixing the reason most all killers run ruin. Killer que's are horrible in the early day because you have more solo survivors playing and people are willing to take a chance on having a decent game as killer. Survivor que's are horrible after school lets out because everyone is home from work or school playing in a SWF. No one wants to play killer against that.

I mostly play survivor. Take that for what it's worth.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455
    Options

I play more survivor than killer but I'm very angry about Ruin change. Survivors should learn the game instead of wanting the easy way out all the time. If you can't hit skill checks practice. People are just lazy and want quick games, not fun games. Typical of todays gamers.

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 395
    Options

The ruin changes are great for both sides. It was a boring perk that people use as a crutch to slow down the game unnecessarily.

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054
    Options

Meh.

• Littlefabio
    Littlefabio Member Posts: 139
    Options

I play both. More survivor though. I Think the change to ruin is dumb. Stop being a lazy and work though it. Pretty simple. I also don't use it on my killer so really the change is meh for me as a killer. As survivor the game got uber easy gg devs.

• illusion
    illusion Member Posts: 885
    Options

I started out as a survivor main, but then started playing killer, as well.

I greatly dislike the change. Not because of the change, itself, but because of the fact that it was so poorly thought out. It's a bandaid fix, that doesn't address the real problem. so it comes across as a severely one sided fix. The frequency of using ruin was a symptom, not the actual problem. Most killers would love to not have to use Ruin, because it is so unreliable.

The new changes to Ruin would be fine if it didn't remain as a hex perk, or if they fixed the real issue which forced so many killers to use Ruin in the first place. The idea that the new Ruin would be too overpowered if it weren't a hex is ridiculous, and clearly shown on the test server that it does not have the late game impact that the devs have been claiming, when it actually manages to last until late game, which is extremely rare. On top of that it prevents other generator related killer perks from working, which makes an even bigger nerf that it first seems.

As a survivor, I am not a fan of Ruin skill checks. I would be happy to see them go, if it didn't so negatively impact killers. I have said this before but, I couldn't hit a great skill check to save my life, but I can still power through Ruin on good skill checks alone. You get enough periods of no skill checks that it works out fine, it just take a little longer. Toolboxes, alone, almost make current Ruin a non-issue, and once the totem is gone it becomes a speed run. With the new Ruin, toolboxes will completely negate the effects of Ruin, even if the totem stays up for the whole game, which it won't.

Regression is not enough of a factor, especially since a gen regresses far slower than it can be repaired. Plus, un-worked on gens can't regress, so working on one or two gens at a time will completely negate the effects of the new Ruin, as will gen tapping and/or tag teaming the gens. The killer chases away one survivor only to have another take their place on the gen. And you can safely bet that every swf group will be doing that.

Some people have been calling Ruin a crutch, as if that's a bad thing. Crutches are used when you have a broken limb. It is a symptom of the problem. When the leg is healed, people stop using crutches. Here we have a situation where the leg hasn't been healed and people, including the devs, are mocking people for using the crutch. Fix the leg and people would be more than happy to get rid of the crutch.

Unfortunately, the way the devs have responded to this situation has made me lose faith in them actually fixing the game. They keep using bandaids to treat symptoms rather than treating the underlying cause. They have even made a toxic environment even worse by taking sides rather than mediating.

Several of the survivor perks were also nerfed as a bandaid fix to an underlying problem. The devs need to stop with the bandaids and fix the real problems, but so far they are not even acknowledging that they understand the real issues. That does not bode well for the future of the game.

• Almo
    Almo Member, Dev Posts: 1,120
    edited January 2020
    Options

In "Player Mode" for this post.

I play both, but I prefer Killer. I'm very much looking forward to new Ruin. I find it much more engaging as Killer because I have to be active to get use from it. As Survivor, I like having some control over whether it will affect me or not by deciding to stay on the gen or not at certain points in the gameplay.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,678
    Options

I haven't actually played with it yet so I'm holding back some judgement until then. My initial thoughts are that the perk itself will be decent, but there is a hole in the killer's tool belt that needs to be filled. I genuinely hope that a counter-snowball mechanic is introduced for both killer and survivor in the near future. It's long past due. Without ruin this will become more apparent. But take all that with a grain of salt. Maybe new ruin will exceed my expectations and be really good early game.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893
    Options

I never played Ruin before because it died so fast within a match....and in some cases it didn't even matter that you had it on gens would still go off in record time.

And I'm probably not gonna bother with the perk now either since its worse off. So while I'm not mad (As a pig main mind you, gens popping wasn't exactly a disaster and she has one of the best gen pressure controls built into her kit.) if my main was wraith or Myers, or Bubba, ghostface or legion, I'd uninstall. These basic M1 killers and killers who don't have exensive map pressure or lead off objectives got HELLA boned. It was bad enough that if they ran the perk it was gonna break within 60 seconds anyway. Its even worse now since in those 60 seconds that it was active its not actually doing anything. As soon as you chase someone off a gen their buddies are right there anyway.

Hex perks.....as much as I love some of the effects they provide and the new build styles you can pull off with them, aren't worth running most of the time because of how easy they are to delete, leaving you powerless for the rest of the match. And thats where the real problem is.....like....outside of haunted ground.....these hexes aren't worth running in the big scheme of things, the benefits of having them don't outweight the cost of losing them for the rest of the game. And you're guaranteed to lose. So why take a bet on a loss?

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

You're saying ruin is easy to work through but game is too easy now that it's gone? What you smoking? How much will you sell it for man?

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

Agreed Ruin might see some milage from me now. I couldn't even use it in hex roulette because it makes survivors focus them a bit too much.

• Hex_Raider
    Hex_Raider Member Posts: 37
    Options

Survivor Main

Hag Main

Never used Ruin cuz it was annoying as a Survivor.

VERY HAPPY.

• Nobsyde
    Nobsyde Member Posts: 1,288
    edited January 2020
    Options

As a survivor of course I'm happy Ruin is gone, and the new one can be a little more engaging, even though as a stealthy survivor I'll have to adapt a bit to Ruin + Surveillance builds.

Still, I honestly think I'll be facing even longer queues and lower ranked killers, which basically means game will be a camp/tunnel fest, Blendettes self caring in corners and Neas urban evading in the basement.

As a killer, the last week I played without Ruin since I'm not going to use the new one anyway, and I can say that games will be much more frustrating against competent players, but more dynamic against worse ones. That's also the reason why I will probably bring with me some Green Mori, just in case gens pop too quickly. It sucks, but that's where we stand right now.

Overall, the change to the perk is good, but the lack of simultaneous changes to gen speed or the addition of side objectives make it a very bad change for us high rank players.

I guess we'll see how the game goes in 6 months, when they'll maybe address the issue.

Luckily Tome 2 is coming so I'll have something to do other than be frustrated :)

• Waffleyumboy
    Options
  • Nobsyde
    Options

and you'll learn to read a reply in its fullness, maybe ;).

• Waffleyumboy
    Options

You said Ruin wasn't required to make the game balanced?

• Nobsyde
    Options

I haven't said neither that Ruin is required nor that it is not required to balance the game, what are you talking about?