Why are so many killers addon reliant?

-Trapper needs a bag addon

-wraith needs any addon to be half decent

-clown needs addons to increase his reload speed

-ghostface needs addons recovery addons

-legion needs recovery and duration addons

-current doctor (the one that's live rn) needs addons

-Bubba needs charge time addons

you get the idea, so why aren't survivors item dependent ?

Answers

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    edited January 2020

Probabaly because killers tend to get a lot more bloodpoints per match. So you can kind of effort it more.

I personally never run out of add-ons on my killers, but I can very much run out of items and add-ons as survivor if I started to bring them into every match.

• Apple2o
    Apple2o Member Posts: 624

With BBQ and a bloodpoint offering, I can get upwards of 80-90k points per match playing as killer.

It boggles my mind that some people refuse to even run brown add-ons as killer when you get enough points to run them every game with a single down in many cases.

• Colton147
    Colton147 Member Posts: 523

Killers receive more bloodpoints than survivors.

Killers will usually earn enough bloodpoints for a couple bloodwebs, while survivors only get enough for two or three things on a single bloodweb.

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,191

I don't use add-ons because I don't like finite items. Also, i want to spend my blood points on other things, not just the killer i play.

• Apple2o

As I said, a brown add-on costs you 3k points. You can get 50k in a match with just BBQ alone. It is practically unlimited offerings.

What else is there to spend the bloodpoints on once you hit P3? Survivor items? I can have items last 5-6 games, which is probably 100k points as well.

I don't even know what to do with all my items and offerings, sometimes I just spam mori's because I have so many.

• OmegaXII

Not everyone P3 every survivors and killers lol. Hell, i haven't even levelled up all characters to lv 50, even i already have 400 in-game hours.

Sometimes you need to think about casual players.

• Apple2o

I have only P3'd 1 killer and 1 survivor. Survivors are just skins, and the only killer I truly like to play is ghostface. But even then, it does not change the fact that you can get enough add-ons for 10 games with a single match of using BBQ.

• Colton147
    Colton147 Member Posts: 523

Killers need to have their bloodpoint gain halved to match survivors or survivors blood point gain to match a killer's.

• OmegaXII

Assuming 1 match earns 60k bp, that's only 10 matches with 2 brown add-ons. And you know what? Brown add-ons don't do much (with few exception, i use these add-ons like pallet freddy)

Since they don't do much, i just play with no add-ons because i feel no difference.

• Apple2o

Brown add-ons are still very significant.

I will use that as an example. Fast traps for hag is 25% for a brown, and 35% for a green.

• Zagrid
    Zagrid Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,000

Overall, probably so people will try out new things in an attempt to keep the game fresh.

In a gameplay stance, because BHVR don't know how to make a strong killer without jerk-reflex nerfing them a week or 2 later.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Well i agree for the most part however some killer addons like both of Michael's pinks make sense having a downside as not having them would make them too overpowered(Imagine running both without the insanely slow to get tier 3 that's an instant win).

However most addons that have a downside really don't need them like using Michael again:

The ALL non pink tier 3 duration addons:

Brown, Yellow, Green which have a 50% more stalk needed downside for only 10-30 second longer their 3 respectively. while the purple is 100% more stalk needed for only 40 seconds(Making it more or less just 2 yellow ones combined)

• T4ank3d
    T4ank3d Member Posts: 32

Agreed.

There are some add-on's that could be insane without a negative.

Though that signifies the add-on needs a rework, not a negative.

Just ones opinion. Thanks for the feedback!

• Timmylaw
    Timmylaw Member Posts: 227

Survivors can make just as many points as a killer, they just have to escape.

• EZ5k
    EZ5k Member Posts: 233

Because it's a lazy way to balance the killer, making their basekit garbage so you HAVE to invest in addons to get anything out of it, the only two exceptions I've seen in the entire history of the game is OG Nurse and Oni

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

You should look at Nurse's ultra rares then. Nobody loves Sally anymore.

The power role thing is a made-up notion used to whine for not having a granted win. It's a game with two sides which have to be balanced against each other, which isn't easy in asymmetrical. There's no power role and there shouldn't be one. That's all.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

Ghostface does not need addons honestly, I play him without any and I dont have many issues against good survivors. But I agree that the most of the Killers are really addon dependent. You forgot Billy aswell, his cooldown of the chainsaw or charge speed is pretty ######### against good survivors.

But if you realize, all new killers are totally fine without addons. Demogorgon, Ghostface, Oni, Plague and Freddy are all totally fine without addons. I guess with the upcoming Pig, Myers, Bubba and Billy update and Doc soon those Killers will not be that addon depending too.

• DetailedDetriment
    DetailedDetriment Member Posts: 2,632

I'd say Huntress, GF, and Micheal aren't. The rest are though.

• orangegoblin
    orangegoblin Member Posts: 120

With the cooldowns nurse is pretty add-on reliant now too.

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737

The "kILleRZ gEt MoRE bLuoUDpoIntZ iTz NoT fAiR!!1!!!" survivor-meme is still around, I see...

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

Some people don't bother with addons at all. Once you learn how to use a killer without addons the game plays a lot differently.

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

Because most of the base times for power cooldowns and charge are very, very high in comparison. If everyone was buffed to have their default times be what they are with all their common charge/cooldown addons applied (while keeping the addons in game) the game would be much healthier. For killers like nurse the power was intentionally made extremely weak to justify the use of addons to patch it, since they otherwise had no ideas for addon effects

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

Trapper is the only Killer that needs some add-on effects to just be baseline imo, there ia no reason Trapper needs to pick up so many Traps 1 by 1 at the very start of the match without the Bag add-ons. I've continually suggested that Trapper should at least START with 3-5 Traps, but needs add-ons to be able to pickup and carry them again after being used. The other Killers greatly benefit from add-ons tho, no doubt but unless you're against really good/strong Survivors, you can still get by with brown & yellow add-ons or even go naked.

My biggest gripe about add-ons? I want more fun & unique ones. Add-ons that fundamentally change how you play that Killer during a match....time and time again I'll refer to Michael Myers & Hag as having some of my fav addons that add some variety to playing the Killer. How a Tombstone Myers plays & needs to be played is vastly different than a Scratched Mirror Myers, it probably why Myers has been my most played Killer. I have less chances to be bored or burned out of playing him, when I technically have like 5-6 assortment of add-on builds to have fun with.

Instead we continually get add-ons that are majoetoy of the time, just number tweaks or minor effects like hindered, blindness or stuff like seeing Auras for 4 seconds....to me, those kind feel wholly boring and just fodder for the Bloodweb.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410

I don't think Ghostie Boi is add-on reliant. Fight me 👊.

• honestlybaffled
    honestlybaffled Member Posts: 175

Because if killers were strong enough to run without addons, addons would make them invincible.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I think the only thing is that brown and green addons should be closer to another

Hag is a really good example of this. There is only a miniscule difference between most of her brown and green addons

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Addons are even more killer reliant. Without a killer the addons are just useless.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

If they weren't somewhat addon reliant, wouldn't that make them op with addons then? I agree that it's too much with certain killers, but if a killer was perfectly viable without addons, chances are, the killer would be op with addons.

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047

Ghost Face has a 30 seconds cooldown on a very buggy power. Being a M1 killer for such long time makes you very vulnerable to gens speed.

• DocFabron

I perform great as Ghostie, I love him! Leave him alone or I will curse you with 1,000 Insidiousface games!

• DocFabron

Ok, I guess you dont understand what a joke is. Oh well 🤷

• theArashi
    theArashi Member Posts: 998

Back in the day many killer players decided killer's viabilty by their addon reliance.

Old Nurse didn't need any addons to do amazing, just like billy didn't really need any addons. And then devs decided that (almost) every other killer from then on will be addon dependant because base power is somewhat lacking.

We still have Spirit that can do well without addons and billy didn't really change but most other killers need some "tool" for help.

AND THEN we have demigorgon who's addons were created by someone else then actually designed his active ability because his addons actually do nothing to the main power he has and instead focus on adding 0.5 seconds to travel time or something stupid like that.

On the sidenote, it's not like killers need addons, they just help(sometimes).