The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Clown is seriously underrated

Spooky13
Spooky13 Member Posts: 1,471

Started picking up Clown in preparation for his new Mr. Puddles cosmetic and honestly, I expected to get utterly thrashed, but found myself doing better than expected. I never realized how much survivors respect the gas clouds, even if their effect is negligible. At purple ranks I've been doing pretty well, getting a 2K or a 3K usually. Of course there are those times when I get destroyed, and yeah, it sucks, but I move on to the next game. Even with PGTW as my only slowdown perk, gens are pumped out slower than expected. Clown is really underrated.

Comments

• BigTimeGamer
    BigTimeGamer Member Posts: 1,752

I feel most would strongly disagree lol

• LoverOfDemogorgon
    LoverOfDemogorgon Member Posts: 168

1: You playing on pc or console?

2: You haven't been playing in red ranks so.................................. yeah, anyone can win decently if not in red ranks with any killer

• The_Daydreamer
    The_Daydreamer Member Posts: 735
    edited January 2020

I don't want to destroy your experience, but please don't forget that our ranking system / matchmaking is broken. I play as a rank 1 killer often against purple ranks with one or two rank 20-16.

And the reason why clown is "underrated" is, because he can just slow you down (if we ignore the vision thing). That is litterely one of freddys power. No Map Pressure, nothing strong against loops, because he has just 4 bottles and needs to reload it. Many, many killers have way more potential as clown, what is sad. Of course you can play well with him, but that doesn't change the fact, that his power is more than underwhelming etc.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

I don’t think console or pc matters since I’ve seen a lot of console players, myself included, say Clown is weak.

• DexyIV
    DexyIV Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 515

Here’s why he’s bad: all his power does is force an early pallet drop or punish mistakes that survivors make. Dropping pallets early when games go so fast isn’t that big of a deal for survivors, so an ability that forces that is very meh. I love clown, but there’s no reason to play him over any other m1 killer

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

I don't like playing him because I feel like I don't have time to refill my bottles, unless I have a cork addon the way the games go right now tbh.

• LoverOfDemogorgon
    LoverOfDemogorgon Member Posts: 168

what i meant is that console players are on average worse than pc, so if he is on console it is easier to win

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,925

I think his bottle recharge is the one thing which wastes a lot of his time and a lot of his map pressure. I usually run am addon for less charge time and I usually do well with him.

• Hag.is.Dtier
    Hag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,398

We also have more players on console, so we get more new players too.

• Hag.is.Dtier
    Hag.is.Dtier Member Posts: 1,398

Clown is the worst killer in the game, even Bubba and Legion are better.

• Brucecastro81
    Brucecastro81 Member Posts: 1,609

I got an 5 gen 4k with bubba yesterday, urbans and self-cares. You just got lucky to find potatoes

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047

From your thread I understand that Clown is underrated because you can win against bad/mediocre survivors with him. This is not a convincing argument.

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 422

He's not underated at all. He's probably the worst killer in the game. He does nothing that other killers can't do better.

Just because you can win with him doesn't make him underated. All killers have an advantage.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

Clown is my favorite bloodpoint magnet, but other than that he can get genrushed fairly easily.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

Agree, if survivors dont do gens fast then you will most likely destroy them if you know how to handle clown. But if survivors hold M1 then you are getting destroyed.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946
    edited January 2020

ok we are bunching up 3 different elements here.

The actual ermm tier

How the community perceives it

How individual matches can go.

Unrated falls under community perception, its an opinion of the community as a whole.

That opinion can be based on the tier or like you said "he does nothing that others killers can't do better".

But the fact that others can do it better, does not make the clown useless.

Example, if billy can kill a squad in 1min and the clown can do it in 2min, then yeah billy is "better" but the clown still will be fine.

And I feel that is more where the underrated part comes from, OP feels clown is a perfectly viable killer and feels the general opinion/rating of the clown is too low/under for what the clown actually can do, hence, the clown is underrated

Its more a question of Clown vs other killers

or Clown vs the game/survivors.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

Just gonna leave this here. Red rank PC survivors vs Clown without Ruin. Also notice what they say about the perk build post game.

• Xetoil
    Xetoil Member Posts: 94

Clown is really good at 1v1, but doesn't have any tools to play the 1v4

At higher ranks the game is more about doing the 1v4 well, and if you play in certain ways (such as Tru3 when he plays Ghostface or Wraith), then you can circumvent the 1v1 almost entirely.

From my own perspective, I bought clown very recently and honestly expected to be smashed just like you did, but I 4k'd the first few games and felt awesome about myself. Later however it became apparent to me that if I wanted to win consistently I had to use 3-gen strats, and if the match required me to travel long distances regularly I would almost certainly lose against survivors who had a good awareness of what I was doing.

Clown is honestly enormously fun to play, it's just his lack of an ability to either give survivors a secondary objective (Legion, Plague, Pig), or traverse the map quickly (Demogorgon, Oni, Billy) really takes away his potential to juggle the 1v4.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

I play on console and I play better with Clown than most other killers. I was stuck at rank 9 before getting Clown and then only playing him I went to rank 5. With the right addons he is not easy to face, unless you are a good survivor then yeah there are better killers.

So underrated yes I would agree. I say he is a lot better than Bubba for example and a bit better than Doctor and Legion and pretty equal to Pig, Demogorgon, Trapper, Myers.

• ZFennecFox
    ZFennecFox Member Posts: 510

Cue the music. What no music okay. I love playing Clown getting up on a survivor and just unloading every single bottle on the back of their head before hitting them. It's my guilty pleasure.