What's one dumb thing you used to always do when you first started the game?

Mine would probably have to be using iron grasp all the time because I was afraid of a survivor wiggling out lol.

Comments

• ThisLadyRightHere
    ThisLadyRightHere Member Posts: 195

I thought hex:Ruin notified the killer every time I hit a skill check xD

• ReallyBigShoe
    ReallyBigShoe Member Posts: 764

One of the silliest things I used to do was complain that Hillbilly was overpowered. Then again, I also complained that Wraith was OP when I first started. So I had the typical newbie mentality.

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776

Moonwalk at pallets with no LoS blockers.

Hide in lockers to avoid BBQ all the time (and I wasn't even playing Dwight).

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Facecamped as Nurse, because she was my first killer I played as.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Ran to corners, or other far off areas to hide and heal. Especially when I got Self Care on Claudette.

Didn't help in my first ever game, though, where I literally got face-camped out by a Legion. Second one wasn't much better, where I got slugged as one of two remaining survivors. No hatch, so I just crawled until I died. And I was playing Jake. I moved to Dwight pretty soon after that round.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Hit hooked people, thinking it'd make them die faster.

• FabV
    FabV Member Posts: 173

As a killer : running everywhere to find survivors, not understanding it was better to patrol gens...

As a survivor : fast vaulting when not in chase, cause I didn't know the killer was notified :(

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,289

I'd attempt to escape the hook as survivor because I didn't know it was optional. It's still not entirely clear to new survivors that it's optional either to be fair.

• Nutty_Professor
    Nutty_Professor Member Posts: 621

I played Friday the 13th before I played this game, so I assumed I made noise notifications of my location to the killer if I ran (as if every killer ran spies from the shadows). So I just walked everywhere.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

You can often make them die faster if you just stand there hitting them. Sometimes just standing there without hitting them is sufficient.

However, you might get a rather salty message afterwards.

• Diam
    Diam Member Posts: 50

I remember my first game. I heard the Huntress lullaby and hid in a locker for most of the game, didn’t realize how crows worked haha

• Machy619
    Machy619 Member Posts: 23

I didn't realise that lunge was a feature so I'd just run up to survivors and hit them with a normal attack

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

I would leave a gen and go hide in a corner whenever I'd hear the beginnings of a TR. Sit there for like 10-20 seconds looking around, then find a competely different gen to work on because "The Killer knew I was at the other one". It did not work out very well on my end usually, especially since I didn't know how scratchmarks worked so I ran around a good bit trying to figure out how the Killer found me so easily.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,702
    edited January 2020

I used to think you needed a medkit to heal people. I'm sure I made a lot of people mad in my early days. :3

I also didn't know skill checks made noise and was basically playing with a 5 stack lullaby at all times. I was so focused on the middle of the screen the noise the skill checks made didn't register to me at all.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,114
    edited January 2020

Oh man, I loved using Iron Grasp when I first started. I thought the wiggling was so annoying. Took me a while to get used to playing without it.

When I first started playing, one dumb thing I would do was equip NOED on Leatherface (because I wanted BBQ but couldn't chainsaw for crap) to try to make sure I was able to use all of the event hooks (Hallowed Blight 2018, that's what brought me to DbD). Yeah, I was so bad I needed that safety net. I also tried to play nice and would back off when I saw survivors on the flowers, but they rarely returned the favor and let me get the event hook... it made me sad. :*( Ah, I was so naive.

Also, for a long time I didn't understand how survivors knew to get off gens playing against Spirit. I couldn't really hear the whoosh sound through my TV speakers. Which leads into another stupid thing... for a good while I played without headphones. Holy crap, I didn't realize the difference it would make. Found out I wasn't even able to hear the Terror Radius well through the speakers. What a discovery that was.

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627
    edited January 2020

I first saw Hillbilly attacks as survivor, with that swing that downed everyone. After that playing Billy. Sprinting around the first few times seeing the "chainsaw swing" at the end of the sprint. Then, when I had the chance to down a survivor, I let go of M2 right the moment I could hit, to start the deadly swing animation and getting mad how that could not have hit

• asergioam
    asergioam Member Posts: 363

I used to get into lockers fast when the killer was in the area (didn't know it notified him) and always got surprised that he found me all the time.

• Xboned
    Xboned Member Posts: 461

Committing to every chase.

It wasn't until my second week of regular play that I would see a survivor all in bright colors, waving and t-bagging at me, and think, "Hey, wait a minute..."

I was so proud of myself when I first realized I could just ignore the god loopers and pick off their less skilled teammates while they sat on gens.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

hears litterally a heartbeat

"THE KILLER KNOWS WHERE I AM! QUICK RUN AND HIDE INSIDE A LOCKER"

"yo ######### how did he know I am inside the locker?!freaking op killers"

• mylesmylo
    mylesmylo Member Posts: 354

Teabagging lol when I started I didn't know it would annoy some people into tunneling and camping me lol I just thought it looked funny, wasnt doing it to annoy anyone, but yeah got me screwed alot when starting lol

• mylesmylo

Haha I remember going up against some noobs like that when I started on killer 😂 I just hear them fast jump into locker, and I'm like mmm are you dumb, and then end game I'm like oh your rank 20 lol

• mylesmylo

I use to be terrified of playing against Billy lol I was so unaware of my surroundings at the time, I never knew where to run to.

• Elegant
    Elegant Member Posts: 443

When i first started playing the game it was a few weeks after launch when the game was really really terrible. Bloodlust didn't exist and windows didn't close after 3 vaults. So window loops were literal infinites. I didn't really do anything dumb when i first started because I immediately quit when the devs didn't say anything about fixing the windows infinites at the time. Came back shortly after pig launch and had already watched streams and stuff so i knew the basics. My only mistakes then was just being bad and not understanding how to loop well or how to play chases as killer

• Respectfulnancymain
    Respectfulnancymain Member Posts: 1,816

I used to use balanced landing and i thought that i cant run when exhausted

• ZFennecFox
    ZFennecFox Member Posts: 510

I ran. . . No seriously I ran in a straight line away from the Killer ahhhhh memories

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

this was back during the beta

Literally never played killer and no tutorial

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Played og Freddy and didnt realize i had to put survivors to sleep. Was just running around swing at people, sometimes using my power but had no idea what it did.

Ah i miss Freddy lol

• ddubuckyee_user
    ddubuckyee_user Member Posts: 178

I just...run...run and run and run ....and die

• mouse0270
    mouse0270 Member Posts: 849

Getting mad when some "t-bagged" me... It literally does nothing and was stupid of me to get annoyed by it.

• Rareware0192
    Rareware0192 Member Posts: 360

Running around everywhere, not realizing it left scratch marks. I thought Scratch Marks were something that was left behind by injured survivors. I used to think what was the point of just walking?

All it took was one game with Nancy using Fixated to realize that running left scratch marks.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

Ran shadowborn on literally every single killer. The default FOV literally made me sick to my stomach at first (why there's no FOV options in the first place is baffling, because honestly how much of an advantage would it give you in a casual game like DbD to increase FOV by an extra 15 degrees). Now I only use it on Nurse and Billy.

• EJmurdermain
    EJmurdermain Member Posts: 109

I had no idea of how the red stain or Terror radius music worked in the Game so I tried to Play Stealthy and Spooky every game. Lol I was thinking to myself how did they know 😂😂 lmao

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Act like I knew what was up before learning the game and expecting it to be easy. Not wanting to look into killers to understand them.

Basically things that new players dont have to worry about now because learning the game isnt as important as paying for easy fun.

• Watery
    Watery Member Posts: 1,167

Avoiding falling from really high places because it would injure you.

Like if you fell out of the coal tower, you’d lose a health state.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,261

I use to take the same exact pathing survivors took while chasing after them. If they vaulted a window, im going through that window even if theres a perfectly good door right next to it.