Shadowborn: is the FOV a perk slot worth or does it need a side effect?

BenZ0
BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125
edited January 2020 in Feedback and Suggestions

So cruel limits is getting a buff or rework and in the future more perks like Monstrous Shrine. I wonder if Shadowborn is fine or needs a buff too? I would say yes, the higher FOV is not a perk slot worth for my opinion, just like monitor it should give you somehow a extra effect. My idea:

Survivors further than 40 Meters are highlithed white like in Freddys dreamworld where your "edges" of your character are white. (No aura through the wall only if you actually see the survivor they will be highlighted)

This would make the perk alot better for Killers with high moblility or Huntress. You see from a higher distance survivors so you can instant chainsaw as Billy there or as Oni etc.

What do you think? Buff shadowborn or not?

Comments

• shmoul
    shmoul Member Posts: 97

That would make the perk too powerful and a camper's best friend.

• BenZ0

@shmoul

Just dont run open field around? I don't mean you see through walls.

• shmoul
    shmoul Member Posts: 97
    edited January 2020

Oh sorry my bad. I misread your post. In that case it could be ok, but maybe a bit too weak if survs only get highlighted over 40m away.

• BenZ0

@LordGlint

Yeah true haha

• BenZ0

@Divine_Confetti

That would be too situational and would have not be used that often. If you missunderstood my suggestion, I didnt meant to see through walls.

• NurseMainBTW
    NurseMainBTW Member Posts: 531

Shadowborn is in a very weird state actually... It's useless on most m1 killers but it's extremely good, almost core on Nurse.

Don't get me wrong, everyone can enjoy a wider FOV but Nurse definitely gets huge advantages out of it since it helps a ton with fatigue and blink tracking. If I had to nominate other killers that benefits shadowborn the most, Huntress and Spirit definitely come to mind.

• BenZ0

@NurseMainBTW

Legion gets a huge benefit aswell, but monitor is still better there because the smaller Terror Radius is deadly if you are injured and that happens often against a Legion :P

• Rasinbran
    Rasinbran Member Posts: 240

I feel like it shouldn't be a perk at all but instead an option you can turn on or off.

• BenZ0

@Rasinbran

Agree

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,662

Well obviously they should bring the side effect back so survivors can blind the killer faster /s

Hmm.. I kinda like your idea of highlighting surviors slightly. Except I'd prefer if it was closer range so we can spot immersed Claudette's easier.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited January 2020

Personally I'm ok with the perk as is it. It gives a lot of little QoL improvements to the killer, such as helping against survivor who "exploit" the reduced FoV, or helping not getting stuck on walls while doing mindgames.

• GHOSTfaceP3
    GHOSTfaceP3 Member Posts: 1,364

I don’t want it changed in anyway it’s great on the nurse

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

you literally can see more... why would you turn it off...

@OP, personally I think Shadowborn is fine as is, if the add benefit of seeing more at a glance is not enough, then yeah dont run it I guess.

• BenZ0

@ZoneDymo

I personally would love to use shadowborn but I feel like Monitor is way to good in comparison with Shadowborn. Always if I consider using Shadowborn I quesiton myself "Why I dont just use Monitor?" because the smaller Terror Radius is a really good benefit and a good trait for a abit smaller FOV compared to Shadowborn. Thats the reason why I made this post, I feel like shadowborn should give a benefit just like Monitor to make a interesting decision.

• ZoneDymo

Well Shadowborn gives a wider FOV then Monitor and its consistent, thats the change that might make someone pick it instead.

• BenZ0

@ZoneDymo

It's not enough to compensate the smaller Terror Radius^^ Shadowborn cant let you survivors run to your face and hug you or give you alot of suprise hits especially on smaller maps. For some ppl the 8 Meters doesn't sound that much of a reduction but it makes actually huge differences.

• ZoneDymo

Well, that is your opinion to have as is asking for shadowborn to get something extra.

Personally I feel the trade off is fine, I run both perks on different killers.

Personally I run Shadowborn on Leatherface, I like the extra FOV when chainsawing around, Monitor would not give me that as the FOV becomes small/normal again when in a chase.

• BenZ0

@ZoneDymo

Well obviously it is opinion against opinion :D. We both have a point and both have their own experiences. But still thanks for sharing your mind with me!

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237
    edited January 2020

Shadownborn needs a rework.

In general the killer FOV is bad. Both the angle and the eye position. Sadly its been like this for way too long .

Remove the perk bonus, fix the default fov.

• JetTheWaffleCat
    JetTheWaffleCat Member Posts: 284

I personally think Shadowborn fov should be base fov for killer.

The reworked version you proposed would be a rather interesting tracking perk and fits well with Wraith's teachable perks as being a tracker.

It has potential to change the meta slightly for killers like Billy and Nurse, since you have better vision on them within a long range.

Also, goodbye... well actually... Hello Blendettes : )

• Archimedes5000
    Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,620

I had an idea to ditch all Wraith perks and make it into one. Bigger FoV, easier to see blood, easier to see scratch marks. Makes sense to me.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536

What if it just highlighted P3 claudettes that are crouched?

• Knots
    Knots Member Posts: 49

No.

• BenZ0

@Knots

Yes

• Plaquer
    Plaquer Member Posts: 197

Personally I just enjoy the FOV change, people like Umbra have proven how useful and powerful it can be in the right hands, I don't think it needs any real additional effects since it already makes seeing much easier, the restrictive FOV is a core aspect of killer gameplay, having a wider FOV allows you to negate a lot of survivor's tricks (window jukes, 360s, etc.)