Just an idea, what if survivors have combined hook state?

Options

Right now, a survivor needs 3 hooks to die. So that's total 12 hooks maximum.

What if all survivors share the 12 hooks as health? For example, hooking a survivor costs 1 health from total 12.

But once the 8 healths are used, starting from 9, survivors will die on hook until all the remain health are used, meaning all survivors die at the end.

So basically the same survivors can be on hook for 8 hook state before he dies

IMO this can completely remove camping and tunnelling from the game, and the game can be balanced more easily.

Comments

• Aura_babyy
    Aura_babyy Member Posts: 583
    Options

A survivor doesn't need a minimum of 3 hooks to die.

Sometimes they die in 1 or 2.

The idea is interesting, but then it poses no threat after the first hook, which was the point of the struggle phase.

What I think you are suggesting ends up removing struggle phase and attempting to escape?

• PfoxandtheHound
    PfoxandtheHound Member Posts: 49
    Options

That's an interesting idea if it didn't mean that a single potato could bring your team down. Oh he keeps finding and hooking the guy who can't run even the iron works window. Well, guess on my first down I'll just die. 🤷‍♂️

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,187
    edited January 2020
    Options

I mean survivors can be hooked maximum for 3 times. Yes, they can be 1 hooked currently, but that punishes everyone in the game, including killer

I guess we can remove struggling. Personally, I really hate that struggling phase as it hurts my keyboard.

But the timer and attempt to escape can stay.

• OmegaXII
    Options

It also applies to the current game. A single potato dies or killer keeps finding the same guy also costs you the game, as it becomes 3 vs 1 very fast

• PfoxandtheHound
    PfoxandtheHound Member Posts: 49
    Options

That's fair. If only the potatoes could stick to their fields.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

So in other words, what if DBD were truly a team game and all the survivors won or lost as a group? It's an interesting idea, but I fear there might be a whole slew of balancing and logistical issues lurking just below its surface.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited January 2020
    Options

With the difference that the remaining 3 all have their 3 health state. With your suggestion once the potato dies, everyone is on death hook. That's not very fair imo.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,259
    Options

I can't wait to be facecamped for all hook phases and break my space bar attempting not to die not only for myself but for my team.

Realistically though it's a neat idea and to clarify we're assuming there are 8 backup lives everyone shares and the other 4 is the life you spawned on the map with. I can still see people camping just because they know people would have to spam struggle. I'd be against this idea unless struggle was reworked because I CBF to hit space for more than one phase.

• OmegaXII
    Options

Survivors are supposed to work as a team IMO.

And for logistical issues, remember this is a video game. Logically survivors won't survive at all since they die by taking a hit from hammer or chainsaw or whatever it is lol.

As for balancing, i'm not sure about this at the moment

• OmegaXII
    Options

You need 9 hooks or camp 9 hooks to kill that potato. That's enough time for the rest to escape IMO

• OmegaXII
    Options

We can always remove that struggle phase lol. It's a bad design for the very beginning anyway

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342
    Options

It is nice when survivors work as a team, but right now they have the option not to. What you're proposing would force them to do so, since their survival would be directly, not just indirectly, dependent on one another's performance.

And I said logistical, not logical, but the words are similar so I can understand the confusion. Logistics has to do with the finer details of organisation and implementation in a complex operation such as this one.

• AngryFluffy
    AngryFluffy Member Posts: 443
    Options

No thanks. I do not want to die on my first or second hook because I got potatoes as teammates. Getting punished for the mistakes of others would be extremely frustrating and make perks like deliverance, Second Wind or DS entirely useless. It is an interesting idea, but I don't like it at all tbh.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

What happens if someone DCs as they get downed, before being hooked does that count as a hook or 3 hooks?

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,226
    Options

This is the first step of kill rebalancing that led to the recycle mechanics and the death of DEATHGARDEN, if i remember correctly.

• kajagobi
    kajagobi Member Posts: 41
    Options

Seriously? Calculate it out how long a Chase lasts. Then figure how much time the other survivors could stay on gens while a looper keeps killer busy. Add in borrowed time and DC. I am by all means not a good killer. But if you need more than three hooks then play better. I've played plenty of games where survivors did all but Mori my killer. Without me getting a single hook. why not add it to where if a survivor bounces off The Killers head three times they get an extra hook or something?

Not trying to be rude but 8 hook's would make the bad players good and the rank one players invincible.

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
    Options

This eliminates camping to some extent but tunneling will probably stay a very viable strat.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,398
    Options
  • supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,398
    Options

The survivors are supposed to work together to survive but rn that only really happens with swf and lore wise our characters come from different backgrounds so they aint friends lol.

• Karl_Childers
    Karl_Childers Member Posts: 669
    Options

If youre dying on first hook, it means the other 3 survivors have been hooked a total of 8 times (or 8 hook states, but for arguments sake just gonna go by hooks). When compared to now, if the killer gets 8 hooks before you get one, that means two survivors are dead and the third is on death hook. Not a good situation. I don’t really see how applying their idea screws you over any more compared to now? Unless I’m not understanding this right.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,003
    Options

This removes camping yes, but straight up buffs tunneling as now tunneling 1 survivor can hurt everyone

• Karl_Childers
    Karl_Childers Member Posts: 669
    edited January 2020
    Options

Possibly, but a proxy camp/tunnel strat is going to become very apparent after the killer gets a few hooks in. Let’s say killer rehooked the same guy twice (for a total of 3 hook states)....at that point the other 3 survivors know what’s going on and still have 5 hook states left before anybody can even die..including the one hooked multiple times. So there’s time to adjust. If you just leave that survivor on the hook and start knocking out the gens, his proxy camping is getting him nowhere and he will lose. The reason it is strong currently is because they can remove a survivor quickly from the game...that can’t happen with this idea.

• Xerge
    Xerge Member Posts: 928
    edited January 2020
    Options

Another idea was to not immediatly lose the sacrifice progress on a hook that reached the second stage of the sacrifice, but instead make the entity fade away and lose progress at a reasonable rate after an unhook.

• Plaquer
    Plaquer Member Posts: 197
    Options

One bad survivor and you are basically always on death hook, I understand its a team game and you should rely on your teammates, but solo queue players are already punished enough by weak teammates, I'd rather be a 3 man team with 3 hook states each than a 3 man team all dead on hook thanks to one player

• Marcavecunc
    Marcavecunc Member Posts: 2,057
    Options

Interesting idea but no thanks.

Rather not have killers tunnel the same person over and over to remove better survivors chances of survival by putting them on their last life without ever winning a chase against them.

And at the same time, when I play killer, I don't want to waste my time having to chase after someone who should be long dead but keeps being brought back while others are working on stuff. You have 3 chances, not 9, after that you're dead.

• Breadz
    Breadz Member Posts: 59
    Options

I searched this up because I had the same idea for the game. The problem of this is it's impossible to get rid of a survivor to apply pressure. When you have less survivors you have less people doing generators and more people going for saves. You gain way more gen progress when you have 1 person in chase and 3 people on generators instead of 2. A way to combat this is adding a 4 hook limit cap to survivors meaning they can be hooked 4 times before being killed. This means that 2 survivors can go down and be hooked 4 times then both die. The last survivors will only be provided with 2 hooks for both players or 4 hooks for the 2nd to last player and the last dying on hook which already happens. This idea could be fixed by just adding a 10 hook limit to players. This means if you have 2 bad players on your team then you lose but if you had 2 players that weren't good you still would of lost anyways.