The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

If Gen times should be changed, how do you want them to be looked at?

Levitika
Levitika Member Posts: 226

A hotly debated topic, even if the devs ignore it. If you want them to be looked at, how so?

If Gen times should be changed, how do you want them to be looked at? 45 votes

Look at the gen times themselves (default of 80 seconds)
17%
TheButcher12BlueberryRaveanDr_LoomisEnderloganYTXergeHecking_Idiotnoname11223345 8 votes
Look at toolboxes (default of 10,15,20,25% increases in speed)
35%
lubsoilPuggyMohawkChrisFuFuuPandomBlade92WeskerKarl_ChilderstoxicmegggaydavidkingTodgeweihtPigMainClaudetteUberedSandvichinferjuskodd1000pizzamessRanger_939 16 votes
Look at the player multiplier (default of 45% faster for two players on a gen, 58% for three, and 65% for four)
11%
joeyrouAhoyWolfbubbasbasementchestLevitikaSaltyMiu 5 votes
Look at the number of generators/ number required to be done (default of five generators required to be finished out of seven that spawn on a map)
2%
PercyJackson 1 vote
Other (What do you think needs a change?)
33%
GibberishZagriddanielbird11DexyIVGrootDude[Deleted User]premiumRICEAwakeyCarlosyluBrucecastro81Yung_SlugSebaOutbreakNullEXEWarcrafter4Kiwi_McFruit 15 votes

Comments

• SebaOutbreak
    SebaOutbreak Member Posts: 399

Gen times should become longer as the match goes on.

Also, if there are multiple/different generators being worked on at the same time, there should be some kind of debuff to the overall speed, because yes, 4 people working on a gen is going to make it pop instantly, but 3 survivors working all on different gens while the 4th one is on a chase can get 3 gens popped in less than 2 minutes of the game, even less with toolboxes.

So, sorry if this is kinda hard to understand (it seemed less complicated in my head!) but I think that's the problem: the base speed is fine and the toolboxes boost is ok, but it shouldn't be like that for all the gens all the time, because that's why they get done so quickly. If this debuff I'm talking about existed, the 3-gen strat would be insane, and that's another reason survivors should be even more careful about it (because sometimes survivors do whatever gen they see and then they do the surprised Pikachu face when they see the last 3 gens next to each other).

TL;DR: Reduce overall gen speed as the match goes on. Apply gen speed debuff when different generators are being worked on at the same time.

• Brucecastro81
    Brucecastro81 Member Posts: 1,609

Map size

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798
    edited January 2020

Having more people on a gen not decreasing the repair time would be an improvement then, maybe increasing the skillchecks rng meaning more skillchecks will pop up and lower the bonus of great skillchecks. that for start might help a bit.

Revisiting all maps would help a lot with the games flow. Having a bit more standard pallets, less safe, and less rng pallets, revisiting godloops and enhancing window strengh over unmindgameable pallets. like you need to learn how to fast vault properly to use strong windows while there are less unmindgameable pallets that you just can abuse without even be a good player.

The game needs to go in a direction where solid good playing is rewarded for both sides and bring a decent balance. I still think a proper rank system will help in sorting out the balance better, because you have good red ranks who knows how to play and who reach red rank just by leeching playing immersed or swf.

Keys and moris have to go or to be subject of a complete rework.Im not against hatch mechanic but that should have some changes too.

• gaydavidking
    gaydavidking Member Posts: 158

I think there's a definite link between complaints about gen speeds and complaints about swf, being that most sweaty 4-man swf groups usually bring toolboxes with the intention of hammering out gens as fast as possible while avoiding the killer. So to me, toolboxes seem like the natural choice to nerf- uh, I mean rework, since it's the common denominator for a lot of complaints.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Toolboxes, especially when combined with Brand New Parts, are one of the easiest ways to quickly do a generator.

If ONE Survivor has a toolbox between a pair working on a generator, that's their penalty gone at least. Add a perk like Prove Thyself, and now you have a literal half time generator.

Good way to look at it is this: Medkits don't give you back hook states, so why should Toolboxes rush the Survivor's objective?

I'd rather see them reserved for Sabotage, with limited effects on generators outside of the Mechanic's Toolbox.

• Carlosylu
    Carlosylu Member Posts: 2,948

Maps, pipping sistem, emblems sitem and specific killers that need a rework

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632

The Map sizes, and emblem system is the problem. No one wants to sit and hold m1 longer at a generator, and I want to be able to chase survivors more.

• DexyIV
    DexyIV Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 515

Maps need to be looked at obviously. I personally think there should be little to no RNG associated with map tiles. It would make it so much easier to balance that way since RNG is impossible to balance. On Rancid, you can get a god window or a pretty mediocre window. If you get a long wall by the pig tree, it's literally an infinite if you aren't Huntress, Spirit, or Huntress. RNG sucks.

Otzdarva came up with a solution during a recent 4-man podcast that was similar to the End Game Collapse, except that it's at the start of the game. He said that gen speeds should be greatly reduced during this time, and this allocated time at the start of each match would be used to do other things such as cleansing totems or searching chests. Others rebutted the idea with the fact that survivors would just immerse during this time and would make Whispers a must-have, which is the problem that Ruin had in the first place. I think if the idea is tweaked a bit, it could work well in the game. It could allow the devs to repurpose some of the more obnoxious things in the game at the moment.

Gen speeds are fine, killers just need time to exert pressure at the start of the game.

Toolboxes, however definitely need to be looked at. I think the best way is to change what they do entirely. Seeing 2 toolboxes in a lobby is basically a guaranteed instalose if you aren't playing a top tier killer.

• kodd1000
    kodd1000 Member Posts: 29

I think toolboxes need to be rethought. I originally only ever used them primarily against Ruin, but that is out the window now, so I have no fair "use" for them in my opinion.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

Either maps need ot be adjusted or a secondary objective needs to be added.

For example of a secondary objective being actually hooking up the generators to a power distributor by pulling a wire from the generator/Distributor to the other so the generator's power can actually physically reach the exit gates.

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,061

Multiple of the above, along with some others.

-Skillchecks are trivially easy, there is basically no point to even having them.

-Gen times are too fast even at the base level, when you factor in perks, toolboxes, and co-op repairs it just becomes absurd

-Most maps are far too big for the Killer to effectively patrol.

What I would say needs to be done are the following:

-Add a new NON-OPTIONAL objective of some kind, preferably something that isnt just "hold m1 on this thing for x seconds"

-Make skillchecks -significantly- harder and rework toolboxes to be focused on making repair skillchecks easier, rather than making repairs faster.

-Make skillchecks more frequent as well. Seriously, sometimes you can go 0-100% on a generator and get only like one or two skillchecks, sometimes even zero.

-Cut down the size of most maps massively.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

Second objective + map reworks.

• Awakey

The only problem with making skill checks harder is that it hurts new players.

• Gibberish
    Gibberish Member Posts: 1,061

1)

Should we also remove Nurse's fatigue time and cooldown because new players might not be able to hit blink attacks?

Should we make Spirit able to see Survivors when phasing because new players might not be able to track invisible Survivors properly?

Probably not, eh? Likewise, the same should be applied to Survivors.

New players should not come into factor when balancing.

2) As I said, toolboxes should be reworked to make skillchecks easier, rather than making repairs faster, so newbies can just run toolboxes.

• Awakey

You're comparing apples and oranges here. A killer with a very high skill requirement is not the same as something that's meant to keep you awake while M1ing for 80 seconds.

Correction: New players should not be the majority of the reason for balance changes. But, new players should always be at least given a thought before pumping out a balance change that makes life hell for them. For example: Making skill checks harder (let's say DS with Unnerving size) would be very unfriendly towards new players.

• EnderloganYT
    EnderloganYT Member Posts: 621
    Look at the gen times themselves (default of 80 seconds)

the problem I see is that

a. Killers don't have enough movement so gens are like 95% done by the time they find ONE

b. chases, downing, hooking, etc. can easily take less than 80 seconds. and there are 3 survivors working. that's 3 gens popped if you are unlucky.

all of these need consideration but IMO this is the big one. points can be made for all of them though.

• danielbird11
    danielbird11 Member Posts: 150

Gens are fine apply more pressure. Play survivor and you will know how boring gens are. But if they were going to change anything. They should add a second objective like finding gas or fuses to give the killer more time. And to make survivor more fun to play.

• Yung_Slug
    Yung_Slug Member Posts: 2,238

Maps.

They too big.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

I’d rework toolboxes first, then I’d look at different ways to make games last longer. It’d probably be a long process though.