The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why are you toxic?

This is aimed mostly at survivors because I already know what the killers are going to say, we all know what the killers are going to say. But this is Dead by Daylight, more than half of the survivors in the payerbase are toxic and there isn't a clear cut reason as to why but I got a few theories as to why that Dead by Daylight, a beautiful game with loving devs, has a culture of unrivaled toxicity

1. The game is too easy. Im putting this first because its true that the ease of playing survivor ENABLES you to be toxic but im not sure its the root cause. If it is then it means that most people in general are toxic ######### and simply cant be all of the time because of their lack of power in most games (Or even other aspects of life, which I think ive theories on actually. For example the ancient greeks or the saying "having money makes you who you truly are)
  2. Moral objection. Survivor mains (Not people who play both side equally) are the ones who are toxic but the true definition of that is "Person who ONLY plays survivor", not just playing the sides unevenly but only playing one side. The general assumption is that its because killer is harder but what if its because survivors have a moral objection to killers. It would explain the relentless toxicity and the hot takes such as "Killer OP" and "DS need buff". Because in their eyes the killer is the Bad guy and the bad guy isn't supposed to win. It would also explain why toxic survivors in this game aren't as proud to be toxic as toxic people in other games, to these people its entirely possible they dont see themselves as toxic at all because theyre the good guys
  3. The illusion of being powerless. Survivors obviously aren't powerless but in the game they cant do much to hurt the killer, while the killer can maim, hack, and slash them in various creative ways ultimately ending with them on a meat hook. This is similar to the theory on the subconscious moral objection to all killers but the main difference here is the perception that the odds are stacked against them. No matter how powerful survivor is, the killer is the only one who can kill.
  4. Competitiveness. This goes hand in hand with the game being "easy", the most toxic games are often the most competitive. Look at Cod, Fortnite, Overwatch, or even sports. The only difference is if someone wants to pop that ######### on the court they can get popped in the mouth. Unfortunately this is not yet possible in video games. But then why is survivor so toxic and killer isn't? If you wanted to win DBD consistently, no matter what side you play more currently, who would you play? But if we add the illusion of being powerless with a very competitive mind set its easy to see how many, even half of the playerbase, could think of themselves as gods. After all if you won 10, 20, even 50 games of any other video game in a row wouldn't you fee like a god? And because of the illusion that you are powerless, all you can do is run from the killer while he tries to murder you, you feel even more accomplished for dominating. For insight you may look at toxic killers, they aren't the ones with moris or playing top tier killers, they are the legions, the pigs, the bubbas (Aside from the face campers) Theyre playing with killers they feel are handicapped and therefore feel more accomplished when they win. There are more underlying causes for killers but with that knowledge it might shed light on why toxic survivors will sometimes run all meta perks (often in SWF) but the solo toxic survivors often will run no perks or no mither.

But these are just my thoughts on the matter. If YOU are a self proclaimed toxic survivor (im not talking about t bagging tunnelers and face campers) what is your reasoning?

Comments

• VoodooChild
    VoodooChild Member Posts: 319

The only answer i got was from a non toxic survivor. Ig well never know

also rip grootdude, i thought he got banned from the forums but ig not lol

• xCarrie
    xCarrie Member Posts: 982

Probably three reasons why.

1. It fuels their ego
    2. They find it humorous
    3. They had a bad match previously

I’m not toxic either side as I play both and respect them equally. Back then I used to be toxic as I only played survivor with friends. I t-bagged, flashlight clicked, wouldn’t leave the game, said “ggez”, pointed, and laughed when I did a 360 no matter the rank. Then I started to play killer and got my ass handed to me, I played more and went up against a 4 man swf, got bullied and lost, played more and got my first “trash ass killer get better lmao.” I was annoyed and thought who gets kicks out of this? I realized that’s how I played so when I went back to survivor I just stopped bm’ing in general.

Now I mostly main killer and I don’t really bm anymore, i’ll still leave everyone slugged if I get a swf who fails to be toxic, or a point at a killer who tunneled me all game but failed. I’ll still say “gg :)” no matter what happens but I just can’t pull myself to be toxic anymore and apologize if I seemed like it.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,948

It it's sudden death for me then I start doing the tbagging why not go out in a blaze of glory

• VoodooChild

Redemption ark.

This is actually why i was really impressed with the rift at first, it forces you to play both sides....except you can finish just one path. I think it will be a really useful tool for curbing the community if they refined it with the goal being to force people to play both sides

• PyroDude
    PyroDude Member Posts: 454

Here is my theory

Streamer and Youtuber. Some streamer and youtuber play toxic to make their gameplay more interessting to watch for their viewers.

People see this and think "hey, that's funny. I wanna do that too!"

And then many people play like this cause of their favourite content creators.

I have no proof of that. It's my just my guess.

• xCarrie
    xCarrie Member Posts: 982

That’s why anyone who “mains” a side I don’t really listen to. You can prefer a side if you play both because I prefer killer but if i’m arguing with someone and all they do is bring up survivor or killer I don’t really listen to as nothing you say will get through to them.

• VoodooChild

Who you talkin about exactly? That's a really good theory and would explain why Nea is toxic incarnate (and also normally the worst on the team) but Noob hasn't been really toxic for a long time and the next "toxic" player i can think of is monto and ehhhh. The most toxic ive ever seen him actually i think was his newest vid where he was ######### talking survivors lol

• Stitch7833
    Stitch7833 Member Posts: 632

people that are toxic are the same people who would bully, taunt and judge people in real life. they only behave this way when theyre winning or going against people not of their skill so they get cocky and just want to be a dick. there is never a need to act this way and to me it just shows the type of person they are, theyre also the ones if you do well they send you hate and abuse. theres no reason behind it other than that.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

I blame Maybelline

• VoodooChild

I dont think say, gamers are not stereotypically the same people as bullies, and in addition as i mentioned earlier a large amount of survivors are weebs (I have sense been informed that this is racist and my account will be deleted)

Hell i would venture to believe the opposite to be true, that people who are bullied are more likely to be toxic in a video game because unlike real life if somewhere where they are in control.

• Colton147
    Colton147 Member Posts: 523

Killer mains tend to be the most toxic from what I've seen... Especially on Reddit and the forum.

• Stitch7833
    Stitch7833 Member Posts: 632

im pretty sure everyone gets the idea of a person who acts that way in games, and no matter what it takes a certain type of person to result to bullying people in a game. iv played games for my whole life, hell iv been rank 1 killer and survivor for 2+ years and its honestly disgusting to see how people treat each other. whether the killer or survivor is being toxic no matter what you do they will try their best to make you feel like #########, say gg to them and they cant help but say how "ez" it was etc. just no need for it in a game where everyone wants to have fun.

• Infinity_Bored
    Infinity_Bored Member Posts: 445

Survivors are toxic because the game is easy.

Killers are toxic because the game is hard.

Did i get your point?

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

"more than half of the survivors in the payerbase are toxic and there isn't a clear cut reason as to why but I got a few theories as to why that Dead by Daylight."

I don't know about that one... but I will answer not why but when I become toxic. What I mean by toxic is what most believe is "toxic".

IF. If I ever see a killer bullying a survivor that is clearly a baby survivor. I will do everything in my power to protect them. Even if it means t bagging every time they miss a hit or blind them until their eyes hurt. In a way that is sort of my role already when I play solo, but at the same time I don't pull out every trick until that happens. Cuz I know what it feels like to be new and feel like a killer suddenly forgot other survivors exist.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367

Because I'm the first super hero from new Jersey

• VoodooChild

You talking to me? Because nah, not at all lol. Easy is an enable for survivors but why is the survivor side of the game so toxic? I dont know. I offered some theories and really wanted someone toxic to tell me about why they do what they do but, like i said in some of my theories, i dont think the average toxic survivor considereds (im sorry im sippin on a 40 idk how to spell) themselves toxic.

Toxic killers are much less of an issue and also their reasoning is predictable, not just because they feel like the game doesn't favor them but because every single killer in DBD deals with toxic survivors. I think it was Big Smoke who said "Bad blood breeds the bad blood"

• VoodooChild

See this is not what im talking about, everybody does that, ok well not tbag after every miss hit because that's a good way to get yo ass on hook tbh lol. But yeah ill point at a killer on the exit gate if he tunneled and camped all game. But i want to know about your average DBD survivor main #########. So far Nancy is the only insight we have on this post

• VoodooChild

WAIT HOLD THE PHONE.....Colton my man, are you toxic? Im not here to get on your ass we are people of science here, i want to know why youre toxic. The reason doesn't have to be good it just has to be yours, speak your truth

• Colton147
    Colton147 Member Posts: 523

We all snap from time to time. Perhaps I am, perhaps I'm not; I'm definitely not perfect.

• VoodooChild

You like the joker in this ######### lol. But why, tell us the timeline from you starting DBD to becoming a toxic survivor

• Infinity_Bored

You have any proof for the statement that toxic killers are much less? Also what means toxic? Tbagging? Flashlight? Toolbox? Looping?

I meat toxic killers many times each day. If i consider tunneling and camping toxic, killer's toxicity rate would be at 80%

Whatever you try to achieve with this discussion, it wont work. If the behaviour or gameplay of some foreign people in an online game gets you tilted or triggered, you should really not play this game. Get a thicker skin and you will feel way less toxicity.

• HellShark
    HellShark Member Posts: 13

People keep saying things are toxic that I completely disagree with. I played league where people afk on first death or if you're having a bad game tell you to get cancer and die. In this game people are being way to sensitive to things, I laugh when people teabag or blink torches at me cause i know they just wanna get in my head and taunt me, it's just part of the mental aspect of the game. For me what's important is people say good game and are respectful in the lobby. I teabag and taunt the killer cause i want him to tunnel me so my team can pop gens, he can choose to believe im disrespecting him and get mad or he can acknowledge I'm just a character model crouching down and standing up.

• Danielgdp3
    Danielgdp3 Member Posts: 452

So what can a survivor do that is toxic exactly?

• PyroDude
    PyroDude Member Posts: 454

Oh, I didn't ment someone specific. Bad grammar

I mean content creators in general. I won't name any names.

• VoodooChild

No im saying being toxic is toxic. I play survivor more than killer, you dont play killer at all. You also aren't very good at survivor and consider anyone who kills you toxic.

We got that out of the way, you mad we get it. You mad af, now tell us why exactly no bullshit why youre a toxic survivor lol. Thats all we want to know lol

• Infinity_Bored
    edited January 2020

Here is my DBD Stats. As you may see, i play and played killer way more often than surv. (approx 75-25)

Nice try buddy.

• VoodooChild

Ok im done with this BSm YOU GUYS ARE TOXIC SURVIVORS

How do i know, one guy just asked a question? Because if i ask how is the KKK racist, its pretty obvious what the ######### i believe. NOw you guys are all offened, that's great BUT SAY SOME ######### \

Why are you toxic, its very obvious that you are toxic survivors AND that you think its justified so say your piece that's the whole point of this post lol. SAY YO PIECE

• VoodooChild

Im not lookin at that, i dont got to look at ######### you know why? Because its not true. How can i be so sure? Youre mad. You came here mad that i asked why survivors are toxic and then ignored my question. MY stats will say i play more survivor so actually by that logic, tf you tryin say? nothing. Wouldn't i know more than you about survivor culture?

Obviously but it doesn't matter, any sane person know what tf is up with DBD. Its not a personal attack on anybody but since you mad it obviously applies to you. YOU are toxic, why? Explain, justify, enlighten, or keep telling me how mad you are with no actual purpose and i can keep telling you to actually say something lol

• VoodooChild

Noting man, just tell me us why you an ######### in the game lol

Thats all i want to know but everybody getting offended and dancing around the fact

• Infinity_Bored

Well the only mad guy in this house seems to be you, but if it helps you to feel better.

From my 5k hours in DBD i can say, that survs and killers are both toxic. On the same level. I can have a good talk with grown up survivors that beat me in the game or i can have a civil talk with a killer. Many of my friends on steam have been made ingame. Sometimes we meet again, may be with different roles and still have fun together.

If all you want to see is toxicity, you may give yourself a break from dbd.

• Danielgdp3

I haven't been offended I just want to know what exactly a survivor can do that is toxic so I know how to answer correctly?

• VoodooChild

Oh look you did again. "YOURE MAD BECAUSE ALL YOU SEE IS TOXIC SURVIVORS BUT IM A RANK 6 KILLER AND blah blah blah" Just like i said you were going to do lol. Nowhere in my post did i say i mad about toxic survivors, infact its to the contrary because most survivors are toxic, the only way you could be mad about it is if youre new. But you got offended immediately and want to pretend that killers beating you are just as toxic as the t bagging, hate mail sending, survivors.....Ok sure lol

What does upset me is that youre exactly who i want to talk to, you are the scummiest toxic player without a doubt, but instead of having any conversation you just get mad. Stay mad, stay toxic but im offering you attention!

And as for you your question basically shuts down any desire to talk to you, if you dont even know what a toxic survivor is then why even reply? Why are you trying to give an answer if you dont even understand the question

Because its obvious question (why is the kkk racist?) everyone who plays DBD knows the culture but youre BSin because youre probably going to try to argue that killers are more or just as toxic as survivors, which isn't true sure, but more importantly is not the point of this post. The whole reason this post exist is because anyone that doesn't have their head in the basement understand the culture, in fact its a such a stupid argument because the thought process would lead you to explain why youre toxic. Obviously more the other guy than you since he raged right off the bat but wild guess, you would go down the same path. Though if i had to guess now youll just cling to ignorance while the other guy probably ######### talks, proving that he is in fact toxic....and nothing else because everyone already knows that

This is the part where i tell both of you to just say your piece and also the part where neither of you says anything of value if history repeats itself....and yet i still bother to reply lol

• Infinity_Bored

Hey you looked at my stats, although u said you wont. I'm proud of your impovement.

• Danielgdp3

I don't know how you define toxic survivor that's why I'm asking because too me many things people 'view' as toxic aren't toxic at all.

I wasn't going to say anything about killers being more toxic because it isn't relevant?

I truly don't understand though what's going on with you and all your aggression at the moment but I hope that everything is going alright for you.

• VoodooChild

I did more than that i looked at your posts which all raged filled, every single one. And you were very proud of having wasted 5k hours.

Ok that starts to make sense, you feel like since you devoted a lifetime to this game you shouldn't die as survivor, you should be better. Not only that but both of your posts, although framed as if you were insulting me, were really just you begging for my attention. You want recognition. You dont care if you look stupid. This all make sense, what i want to know tho is at what point did it happen? I want a timeline or event or series of events that turned you to what you are now

Although tbh i feel like this case is obvious and atypical, not that many people will ever put that much time into the game and its likely that anyone who does will become bitter because of well, external issues. No you fall into one of my theories but youre not the typical toxic survivor main im looking for. Any insight would still be welcomed but i dont think youre going to like me vaguely talking about video game addiction because at one point you used the phrase "take a break from the game", no need to go into detail about that

• VoodooChild

Youre using passive aggression "I hope youre ok" as basically a way of saying "######### you"

Oh and hey look at that 2 for 2, you both did exactly what i said. People are predictable, I obviously know why the toxic killers are toxic, i can look at any other game and the reasons will always be....but not survivor mains in DBD.

Tho i think theres a razor that always cuts what easiest. Survivor being easy shouldn't be the cause of toxicity because it would imply that everyone is an ######### and only shows it when they have the power Anything else would be too deep lol of course that's it, of course its why people who play both sides aren't toxic, its why killer mains aren't toxic with the same density.

Its such a stupid simple answer but going back to fighting games or FPS, the toxic people are the ones using the most powerful weapon/fighter/whatever. Survivors are toxic because survivor is easy and any lose evokes rage and feelings of being cheated while any win evokes ego

Youre saying this because you feel uncomfortable and also threatened, its why i can speak my mind in the hood but not the suburb. Masks are as fragile as egos. Anytime anyone says something not honey coated you get uncomfortable "this must be aggression!" even a "Whats up" in the wrong tone can make you tense

Im a ######### idiot for ever thinking i couldn't figure out something lol. That razor is a #########

• Danielgdp3

There was no passive aggression I'm genuinely concerned as all your responses come out quite aggressive. And what did you get correct about me? This entire conversation has been me waiting for you too list me things that survivors do that are toxic and you won't do that because you have assumed I'm toxic?

• VoodooChild

5000 hours is pretty sad amount of time to sink and not have any fans. Stop being anti social and stream. Im serious, as of now youre just wasting your life but it would be east to turn all that wasted into something valuable. If you dont then going by your previous comments the only correct choice for you would be to "Take a break" not just from dbd but from video games in general. Thats time you could have spent developing an actual skill, stop wasting time

Youre doing a very bad job of being an internet #########, although its clear you are trying to be an ######### the delivery falls flat. I called you out for passive aggression and claiming ignorance. You kept the passive aggression but almost verbatim, landing no punch and then reinforced my point about you claiming ignorance. Ig it was to trying to keep on the mask i was talking about but it just makes you look dumb, not a bad pairing with passive aggression but you should focus your message to that point. For example, you are going to reply that you just really want me to list what makes a survivor toxic liker youre a toddler. The correct way to go about your persona would be more of a "bless your heart" approach.

" I just dont know why youre so upset, all i wanted to do was give my opinion on the matter but you attacked me for no reason. If theres anything going on at home just know im here if you want to talk someone"

See i kept the passive aggression but expanded on it and made myself look dumb but not in the way that the original reply wants me to be. No one is going believe an of that ######### obviously that's the point of passive aggression, so dont bother trying to convince people youre genuine instead increase the patronizing. Theres a very very very obvious response here that you dont have to break character to take, im even setting you up for it. If you aren't able to figure it out i would look into other hobbies, you cant turn a lead tongue silver

• Danielgdp3

You can't call me out for something I'm not doing, is your life that dark that someone asking if everything is alright you automatically assume it's not sincere?

• Infinity_Bored

Actually 5k hours is not that much in dbd. I have around 10 people in my friendlist, that have even more. On top of that, im pretty happy with what i achieved in my life so far. How can you judge without even knowing me?

Stop making a fool out of yourself and stop being a hater. Accept, that there are people with different views and opinions. This is what makes a forum alive.

• VoodooChild

Ah that was terrible, why would you insult me for having a "dark" life and then immediately go back to trying to make yourself a victim "just trying to be nice!" Lead tongue. Although you were outdone by

The translation of this last part is that i hurt his feelings. "Accept that people have different opinions, it what keeps the forum alive"? Where does that fit into this conversation. Even worse most of the post was him defending the fact that he has spent nearly a year of his life, over 200 days, full 24 hour days, on dbd. Not even on all video games, JUST dbd.

Im pointing this out because the fact clearly hurts you and having it written like that, 208 FULL DAYS of nothing but DBD might be a wake up call. Im not being a "hater" which btw is just out of place as basically talking diversity, I just want to point out that this is an absurd amount of time you could have spent developing real life skills. This is something youre proabaly aware of but dont like to think about, but those hours wouldn't be wasted if you started making DBD content.

Think about it, you obviously think very highly of yourself. You have to talk but you dont have to show your face. That or take a break from gaming.....well you dont have to do either. Youre telling me youll do neither. You say youre ok with it. Fair enough. Soon 208 days will become 365. Then maybe 500. 1000. Just seems like a shame to throw away literal years of your life with no returns

The worst thing that can happen, is no one will watch

• Danielgdp3

I feel like this thread has just gone from why are you toxic to why am I toxic...

• VoodooChild

Thats a good question, why are you toxic? It was actually my original question

I get youre referring to me, but grammar you should have used quotations, and youre trying to make the case that me pointing out this man has wasted an entire year of his life on a single video game and then encouraging him to salvage that lost time by created dbd content....is toxic. Maybe, because he likely wont do it. 208 days will grow and grow and grow and eventually he will quit or the game will end and all that time and money spent in a virtual world will mean nothing.

But what he did? What if he redirected all that time energy and money he put into gaming into created content that could make him money, that would be a tangible thing that would last forever and a be a meaningful skill that would outlive the game? Or what he realized that he has likely spent multiple years of his life setting in front of a screen and wanted to make a change.

Probably not but if it wasn't obvious by the fact that i doubted the reason theres such a toxic culture in DBD was simply because the game enables it, i believe in people. Even tho i know better i constantly have faith in them, kind of like religion

• Infinity_Bored

I'm totally fine with spending my freetime, usually evenings, with playing DBD. If you try to rate my life by my hours spent in a game, you totally took the wrong way. No matter how hard you try, i wont take this poor bait.

You did well on prooving, that you might be the problem regarding the toxicity. If you act ingame, like you do in here, i see where the problem is coming from.

I can only renew my suggestion. Accept different opinions and dont get mad over something that happens in a videogame. If you allow any childish behaviour to get under your skin, you might want to change your attitude.

• VoodooChild

DBD came out 3 years, 6 months, and 9 days ago. Thats about 1287 days ago. 32,175 hours. You have 5000 hours. So anyway 5000 divided by lets say 4 hours a night? Thats 1250 nights. Meaning that if you played from day 1 you only missed 37 days. Little more than a month. Of course that's not right, you played longer some days, less some others. But if we even remotely believe what youre saying that is the math, you played every single night for 4 hours save 37 days. EVEN more interesting is that youre likely rounding down. If you told me your exact number of hours it would likely be impossible to play 4 hours a night since release and reach your time. Well maybe 5 then? or how about 6? Say youre sleeping for 8 hours and working/going to school and for another 8 and the numbers start to get crunched. And ill take a wild guess, you didn't start playing day 1. The numbers crunch harder still and if you didn't start playing relatively close to release then they again become impossible. And keep in mind, this is JUST dead by daylight, very unlikely this is the only game you play.

Now that last part about the "Different opinions" and all that is worthless because its contradicts what you said earlier. Remember, you are a killer main and i am a survivor main? Of course not because those words dont matter but you can go back and read them, try to make them make sense. It would be pointless but what is time to someone like you?

The rest of your post was defensive, seeing me pointing out the time you spent on the game as an insult....but these are the facts. You interrupt them negatively but in doing so youre going against what you said before, youre happy with the time you spent.

All im saying is you can salvage those hours, but them too good use. Or if that jab about "taking a break" is as subliminal as it seems you can start putting those hours into something else. Or you can do as you say you will and change nothing, tho that outlook is bleak

• Infinity_Bored

I'm rounding up. It is 4488 hours till now.

I started playing at day 1.

Can u please refresh the numbers with these facts? Does this change anything?

Considerung that u dont know anything about me, you dont hesitate to conclude. I mean, i could be 14 and live a life without friends and just play all day.

I could be 20, out of school but unemployed. I could be paraplegic and gaming is what helps me forget my fate.

I could be 30, alone because i have social anxiety and i try to fix it by interacting online with people.

Did this ever come to your mind or do you just judge me by your own standards?

However, thanks for your try to improve my life, but like i already said: I am happy and well-adjusted. No matter how hard you try, the toxicity that sadly took possession of you, wont infect me.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307

Actually that person asking what exactly you mean by toxic makes perfect sense. That word gets closer to being a meaningless buzzword every day as people have wildly different definitions for it.

To some people using a perk they don't like is toxic, to some people nothing that doesn't break the rules (like threats/racism postgame or blatant exploits/cheating ingame) is toxic. "Toxic", "toxic survivor" and whatever else can mean completely different things to two different people, and I'm sure it means very different things to you and me.