The reality of killer gameplay

So with everyone on the rampage with the ruin nerf, forums ablaze and all that fun stuff, I've been trying to keep out of it a little bit and just, see what happens.

But honestly... Playing a killer isn't fun anymore. Unless I'm playing like a #########, running mori, proxy camping and overall being 'toxic', it's literally a game of 'if I make one mistake, I lose.'

That is the reality of the state of the game. If you make one solid mistake as the killer, you have lost the game. For some killers that are really strong - this isn't the case, they may have good endgame bounceback potential, and it may also depend on your perks. But unless you're preparing for failure chances are that's not the case.

If you choose to chase a survivor that just so happens to be higher than your skill level and you lose a chase or get ran on some of the much stronger loops in the game? You're going to see gen after gen pop and by the time you've hooked one person the game is over unless you're running something like NOED.

The skill level to do well as a killer is SO much more intense than that to do well as a survivor. You have to be incredibly conscious of what pallets have been dropped, who's where on the map at all times, what loops to win and how to run them to win them.

As survivor, you have to have a vague knowledge of how to run and mindgame those loops but at the same time... All you have to do is waste the killers time and gens are going to get flown through.

The game isn't fun as a survivor.

The game isn't fun as a killer.

The game isn't fun, anymore.

Comments

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882

I have my own terms of how I play killer and follow them very closely. For me, it doesn't matter if I win or lose, or if I get a toxic SWF. It's about staying true to my terms on how I rate a match. I don't expect to win every game and I'm fine with everyone escaping as long as I pressured them. I play 'low' tier killers like Trapper and Clown and I'm doing fine in red ranks. I am currently rank 1 for killer and sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. I'm OK with it. It's just like when I play survivor (solo). It's the luck of the draw and you won't know what you get. Just gotta deal with the hand you're dealt!

• skoopydoo
    skoopydoo Member Posts: 24

And yet all killers have kill rates over 60. So I guess most of the time killers aren't making any mistakes.

• StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882

I expect the first two gens to pop. I normally defend 3 generators that are close by. Just because you lose the first two doesn't mean the game is over. Now that survivors don't worry about ruin, they usually 3 gen themselves. When that happens, it's practically almost game over. The perks I'm using are STBFL, Surge, Pop, and Surveillance. It has worked quite well for me.

• emptyCups
    emptyCups Member Posts: 1,262
  • emptyCups
    emptyCups Member Posts: 1,262

This game isnt horror anyone with all these survivor second chances. Its scooby doo with D/C on first down

• Psypho_Diaz
    Psypho_Diaz Member Posts: 185

Lol thank you!

Killers are suppose to be the "bosses" of this game yet they feel like a single horde unit. I fell in love with this game because of the adrenaline rush it have me, the scared feeling I got. I know the amount of time I put into it has something to do with that feeling getting dull but to this extreme.

The main thing that concerns me is the lack of creativity I perceive in the devs. Their recent steam had things that content creators didn't even mention. For example: "maps don't seem to be too scalable for this game" some CCs even agreed. I don't, why are they set on 5 gens for bigger maps? Why can't they just add 1 to 2 more instead of tell killers to let some go. Why are we stuck with just lockers to hide in? Can't we include like little tunnels to crawl through or things to hide under? Why are we fixated on gates to escape with? Can't we launch a boat in the water and power it up to escape or call some police and wait for 2 minutes until they show up?

Like come on.

• NEVELEVEN11
    NEVELEVEN11 Member Posts: 141

I stick with killers with map control., mainly hag. I dont think id win most matches if i couldnt spawn from a tripped curse. And even with hag with great addons and perks, i still lose here and there. Being a survivor is supposed to be hard. The game is supposed to take 15 minutes at least.

• I_Face_Camp
    I_Face_Camp Member Posts: 244

I was just thinking this the other day. Killers in this game feel like Scooby Doo monsters because of how trash they are. Come on BHVR, Killer is supposed to be the power role

• Nameless
    Nameless Member Posts: 869

Do you mean by “optimal survivors” survivors that like sitting on gens? I’m not saying I blame them, it’s their only objective after all, but survivors simply no longer need to be organized or even good to win a game now. They just need to have enough brain capacity to do gens. Yesterday we completely smashed a killer but the funny thing was that my teammates were green and yellow ranks (I’m r1). They went down pretty fast too, it’s just that gens got done faster.

1) This is old data, from before the Ruin update.

2) This data does not include variables like bad matchmaking, suicides on hook, DCs, AFK players, people simply giving up, people giving a petty kill to the killer, etc etc.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,340

Personally, im still enjoying it and managing to do alright with the new ruin.

This was my first match as Huntress in like a month, lol.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Nurse has the lowest killrate at 43% dont make stuff up, ty.

• Infinity_Bored
    Infinity_Bored Member Posts: 445

I still enjoy the game on both sides.

Even if i dont 4k as a killer, i usually get loads of BP - which is my main goal. U cant expect to demolish survs every game at red ranks.

As a surv i am happy that keeping the killer busy finally pays out. As a solo survivor i often encountered situations where i ran the killer for several minutes and my mates were busy with searching Hex:Ruin or failing skillchecks.

The game now runs at a faster pace and i guess some people just have to get used ot it.

• pizzaDragonite
    pizzaDragonite Member Posts: 8

First time? I’ve closed the game many times due to it being unfun and just ######### in its current state. The devs have to listen to the community or this games gonna die

• Infinity_Bored

I cant complain tbh. Matchmaking is screwed, yes but in regards of the ruin rework everything is fine. I play for the fun and not for the 4k. If you manage to stay relaxed, you can actually still beat SWF groups.

• GHOSTfaceP3
    GHOSTfaceP3 Member Posts: 1,364

Killer is just starting to become frustrating

• silverwolf4455
    silverwolf4455 Member Posts: 496
  • ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

With optimal survivors I meant survivor teams that are well organized and good in chases.

• ppo8820
    ppo8820 Member Posts: 763

I think the devs are trying but it’s hard to balance a game like this one. That being said, they do need to step it up and really fix the current issues before any more chapters or dlcs. Gen times, map sizes, hit boxes, wait times in lobby, and ranking. Those should all be top priority!!!

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Yes the game is faster paced but killers weren't designed for 5 minute games in mind. The game has gotten faster as survivors learned maps better, learned to run tiles better, learned to hit great skill checks better. Killers had exactly 1 early game slow down perk. 1 perk to help them set up, or break some pallets, or learn how each survivor played.

Now they have zero. The early part of the game has always been the hardest for the killer. Now the early game is near impossible, unless you happen to spawn on a grouo of people. No early game makes mid game harder which makes end game harder.

The game has sped up, but the killers have been given nothing to keep up with the pace. Other than the encouraging words of 'git gud'

• Infinity_Bored

You have a point. However even with old Hex:Ruin there were so many circumstances that decided over win or loss/ good game or bad game. Map, spawns, RNG, offerings, perks, totem spawns, loop layouts. A match with exact the same 5 people can go in a total different way.

I just had a game as Bubba on Fractured Cowshed. 3 Gens popped while i still was in my first chase. They saboed some of my hooks on top, but i had Agitation. I managed to defend the last gen for a while and hooked everyone twice and killed two.

Dont get nervous just because gens pop quick. The game usually starts when 3 Gens are done, you ate some pallets and you can have a bit of a snowball.

BTW: they were SWF

• BrendanLeeT
    BrendanLeeT Member Posts: 272

If you want to always use stats to back up your statement and only statistics then Nurse is the weakest killer in the game. If you disagree then you're agreeing that the statistics don't take into account variables such as a baby nurse, someone without experience, etc.

This applies to kill rates too, there have been so many games were my kills just went from 1 -> 4 due to over altruistic survivors that just fed me the win. If they took stats for the kill rate WHEN the 5th gen pops I'd think we will have a completely different number.

• csandman1977
    csandman1977 Member Posts: 2,358

Thats a good game right there. I agree with never giving up as ive been hooked twice with 4 gens left to go and managed to finish gens and escape on multiple occasions. Ive also turned complete losses into 3 gen 4k standoffs.

I stopped using ruin early in my killer career as it never lasted long enough for me so the ruin change didn't effect me as killer. As survivor, i can hit great skill checks fairly regularly though.

I do however think that killers need something early game to help out other than corrupt intervention.

Every slowdown perk now, requires a hook and in the case of dying light, when its really useful, you are most likely already winning.

• scardb
    scardb Member Posts: 10

I think the stats are completely bogus. Most of my kills come from survivors ######### up while trolling me, or from being massively over altruistic after all the gens are done.

• LustForBP
    LustForBP Member Posts: 611

You sort of need a clear definition of kill rate for this game.

Dc? Hook suicide? Bled out because couldn’t be found? EGC?

I mean to be fair, a killer can get trolled an entire game and get 2-3 people and that’s a 50-75% kill rate in that game. Doesn’t mean the killer did good, because he could’ve been bullied. It’s very obvious killers are the neglected side in this game.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590
    edited January 2020

As killer you get about 1 hard mistake and you've lost the whole game, you don't get second chances. Meanwhile on survivor you can have a very rough understanding how the game even works and still win with many, many mistakes because survivors have multiple second chances stacked on top of each other. You don't have to be good at looping to win, you just have to have a team that doesn't waste time and knows how to hold M1. All the pressure is on the killer when it should be on the survivors.

• toxicmegg
    toxicmegg Member Posts: 662

your reality. not the reality generally