The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

PSA : People Don’t Realize Their Bias, Don’t Blame Them

Jack11803
Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930
edited June 2018 in Feedback and Suggestions

They want their side to have an advantage. It’s just human nature. I play 50/50, but I’m not free of bias, no one is. Always remember someone’s intention when they post balance suggestions. Form your own opinions, whether they’re are not reasonable or otherwise is your choice.

Post edited by Jack11803 on

Comments

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293

Problem with this community is that everyone has an idea of what the game should be, while directly ignoring what it currently is.

• Jack11803

@Mc_Harty said:
    Problem with this community is that everyone has an idea of what the game should be, while directly ignoring what it currently is.

Yup, that’s what I’m saying. No one can be 100% free of bias. But I can at least try.

• RagingCalm
    RagingCalm Member Posts: 408

@Jack11803 First off, it is extremely insensible and rude to make a post like this. You are essentially calling anyone who reads it a narcissist.
    But secondly, most people do want balance. Everyone just has a different opinion of balance. For example, you think survivors should have the advantage at pallets, I think it Killers should have a slight advantage.
    OchiDO thinks the game is currently favored for the Killers, for example. He wants his idea of balance, as strange as it may sound to you or me.

• Mc_Harty

@RagingCalm said:
    @Jack11803 First off, it is extremely insensible and rude to make a post like this. You are essentially calling anyone who reads it a narcissist.

He's not wrong though. Both sides wants an advantage over each other.

• RagingCalm
    RagingCalm Member Posts: 408

@Mc_Harty did you read the rest of my comment? I explain why I mean that in the comment dude ....

• Mc_Harty
    edited June 2018

@RagingCalm said:
    @Mc_Harty did you read the rest of my comment? I explain why I mean that in the comment dude ....

I did.

I'm saying that his concept isn't wrong of both sides being full of bias. They both want to push ideas onto the game regardless of whether its balanced or not.

• deadwolfwalking
    deadwolfwalking Member Posts: 624

balance is a myth....

• Yuhg
    Yuhg Member Posts: 50
    edited June 2018

Balance is something that it's kinda hard in an assimetrical pvp game. But right now it's not done how it should be done. I'm not saying i want killers to be as powerful as F13 jason is, i don't want them to be unstoppable, but if they are the power role and this is meant to be a "survival horror", It should make survivors be afraid of the killer, and not just a "let's go in pairs when he starts chasing someone so we can beat him and run away". The power role should have the advantage vs 1 or 2, have it hard against 3 and have it harder against 4 that work as a team. That's the theory of an assimetrical. Look at deathgarden for example. The hunter is a beast, it's fully armed and kinda unstoppable, unless the runners do their job as the roles they pick up (torment, etc) and they work together. If a runner goes alone, he's done, if 2 runners go together and they find the hunter in front of them, they're done. But against 3 it's harder since when you're aiming to down one, maybe another one is stunning, the other one is trying to heal and the rest are capturing a point. That's what i can call teamwork. Right now the problem is the number role is a power role too, and as they're more than 1, they're more powerful than the supposed power role, and that's why survivors bully killers, because they can, because they can afford to make so many mistakes without having to pay for them that it gets unfair for a killer. But that's just how I see it right now.

• Jack11803

@RagingCalm said:
    But secondly, most people do want balance. Everyone just has a different opinion of balance. For example, you think survivors should have the advantage at pallets, I think it Killers should have a slight advantage.
    OchiDO thinks the game is currently favored for the Killers, for example. He wants his idea of balance, as strange as it may sound to you or me.

It’s not narssictic, I’m saying it’s human nature to be bias, and that everyone is, even me. So you should play both sides and form your own opinion. Also, it’s not really rude, and even if it is; is that a problem?

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784

This is only sometimes true, it's not true as a general sweeping statement like you've put it.

People also wrongly assume this if their opinion doesn't fall in line with what they agree with. 'Oh wow he wants x nerfed? He must only play z side and want nothing but nerfs for the other'

• Jack11803

@ASpazNamedSteve said:
    This is only sometimes true, it's not true as a general sweeping statement like you've put it.

People also wrongly assume this if their opinion doesn't fall in line with what they agree with. 'Oh wow he wants x nerfed? He must only play z side and want nothing but nerfs for the other'

I guess this post does seem off without context. But I regularly devalue my own opinion, as well as showing fallacy’s in others. Most the time I don’t work to a solution, but to help others firm their solution by sending in mine and saying it should be tweaked. Because I’m bias.

• Jack11803

@Jack11803 said:

@ASpazNamedSteve said:

Further more, I’ve done several posts in different threads and made this one to get as many downvotes as possible #LifeGoals

• Jack11803

@Jack11803 said:

@Jack11803 said:

@ASpazNamedSteve said:

Further more, I’ve done several posts in different threads and made this one to get as many downvotes as possible #LifeGoals

The more cynical sand edgy, the more successful, heck I should use black font for those posts

• SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146

My idea of balance is to make sure the killer always has the advantage, always has the upper hand when it comes to survivor and killer interactions. The thing that irks me the most is that the game mechanics allow a survivor to 1v1 a killer in a 4v1. That should not be a possibility at all. I admit that i dont know how to go about this in the correct way though. But i would like survivors to not feel they have the capability and tools to make the killer into a fool and the killer be helpless to stop it. It is probably the most draining thing as killer. Getting found by the killer should be an "oh #########, i messed up. My ass is getting hooked for sure" Not "yeahhhh, boiiii lets go to pallet town. Follow me for the next 5 minutes as a tea bag and spam click my flashlight at you"

• AlexAnarchy
    AlexAnarchy Member Posts: 685
    edited June 2018

@Mc_Harty said:

@RagingCalm said:

He's not wrong though. Both sides wants an advantage over each other.

Asymmetrical game, It should be obvious at that point that one side is supposed to have the advantage.

And then it should be also obvious the side with less players is the one that's supposed to have the edge over the bigger player team.

• Mc_Harty

@AlexAnarchy said:
    Asymmetrical game, It should be obvious at that point that one side is supposed to have the advantage.

And then it should be also obvious the side with less players is the one that's supposed to have the edge over the bigger player team.

Yes, killers need to be a better experience overall.

No, that doesn't mean that they should immediately have an advantage over the majority. Killers need to be equal to the survivor team. Not greater or lesser.

Besides, these devs don't balance around teams. They balance around the average of Kill/Escape ratio.

• AlexAnarchy
    AlexAnarchy Member Posts: 685

Yes, killers need to be a better experience overall.

No, that doesn't mean that they should immediately have an advantage over the majority. Killers need to be equal to the survivor team. Not greater or lesser.

Besides, these devs don't balance around teams. They balance around the average of Kill/Escape ratio.

Exactly, the killer should equal up too the 4 survivors, however, currently we are dealing with a 1 VS 1v1v1v1

• VayneHellslinger
    VayneHellslinger Member Posts: 47

It's quite natural for people to have a pre-established bias about things. I think we can all agree that things matter that much more and have that more weight when they pertain to us and/or our beliefs. The solution to minimize personal bias in a debate I find is to say things from a perspective of a benevolent stranger. That way you come in with an intent to help while somewhat detaching yourself emotionally to the topic.

• CallMeRusty420
    CallMeRusty420 Member Posts: 615

@Jack11803 said:
    They want their side to have an advantage. It’s just human nature. I play 50/50, but I’m not free of bias, no one is. Always remember someone’s intention when they post balance suggestions. Form your own opinions, whether they’re are not reasonable or otherwise is your choice.

I read the comments and your dealings with said people, and I have to say you are correct. I may be trying to get the game balanced fairly for the killers and that may be my bias, but at least my bias has actual reasoning behind it with the history of the devs and their way of 'balancing' the game. But the one thing I have to argue on is that I'm not biased for one side or the other, I'm just biased against the imbalance this game has, and I want real balance. I want it to where I am actually a little shook to try and mess with the killer instead of where I can just bully the crap out of them and get away clean. That shouldn't be a thing at all.