Killer Anxiety

Options
Kliah
Kliah Member Posts: 29

Any tips for getting over the jitters of playing killer? I'm rank 10 at the moment (I know ranks dont really matter, but it's for the sake of info) and I feel like I have the hang of it, but I always get so nervous to play killer because I feel like I have the quality of the match in my hands.

If I do well, most people won't say or do anything rude, but I am sure most killer mains know what happens when you do poorly. Not saying that I expect people on the internet to be good sportsman or polite half the time. Just wondering how you killers seem to stay so calm and collected when dealing with a troublesome match or wily survivors? From my perspective as a survivor, most killers appear so confident. I may be one of the few survivors left that actually fears killers.

P.S. I have been a survivor main for about 800 hours of my playtime and really wanted to try killer finally. And, oh boy, do I respect you killer mains even more now. I have always been frightened to play killer.

Spirit/ Hag main if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367
    Options

Like anything playing and practice helps.

The best you can try to do is some kyf games until you're comfortable

• DWolfAlpha
    DWolfAlpha Member Posts: 927
    Options

Personally, I actively avoid tunneling and try to maximize my hooks. So many people seem to fear the "free unhook," but I mean, if the survivor is unhooked, it gives away another survivor and I get more hooks. Idk, I never really felt anxiety for playing killer. Moreso for playing survivor.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984
    Options

I used to be like you a long time ago. As survivor you can just chill out and play the game, whereas as killer I saw myself as the game master who dictates if everyone is going to have fun or not, which stressed me out, as I felt a strong compulsion to perform well.

In terms of getting over that - as simple as it sounds, playing more killer is the best way to get over these jitters. Starting off you should expect to flop about quite often, but as you gain more experience you'll become more consistent in controlling the flow of the match. In other words, with time and practice most of the stress should go away.

• kcwolf1975
    kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 651
    Options

I found that the higher you go in ranks, you will get less hate mail from survivors. It never goes away completely, but definitely dies down. Try not to tunnel/camp and you will not only avoid hate mail but you will get more bloodpoints.

• PfoxandtheHound
    PfoxandtheHound Member Posts: 49
    Options

Just focus on getting your awareness, and timing down. You're going to have to take some beatings, and bullying, but once you have the reflexes down you'll be able to actually think. Once you can make conscious decisions you can see through baits or attempts to lure you into a strong looping or LOS breaking area. Use your survivor experience to predict what survivors are going to do. Once you don't have to worry about confirming the hits, losing tracks, and you feel you have a deep understanding of your killer. Survivors aren't a big deal.

Just remember if they call you trash and they lost to you what does that make them?

• 2LuvRias
    2LuvRias Member Posts: 352
    Options

Others in this thread make great points as to how to get rid of your anxiety. The best advise I can give that hasn't been given yet is simply to stop caring so much about what others think. Yes you will get destroyed in afew maybe even alot of your games, but vsing good players WILL make you better at the game. No matter what others say just play and make sure YOU have fun. And don't think about what others think of you. They're random people over the Internet, and they don't know you.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited January 2020
    Options

No matter how you play there will always be survivors who complain. Ignore their heathen comments. They mean nothing to you, for they are your prey!

I recently had a match as my nurse(havent played her since her rework) After the match ended the person who was the highest rank, but also got he lowest score, said "baby nurse"

".......yet you are all dead and you only finished 2 gens?"

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520
    edited January 2020
    Options

I play usually without any slow down perks.

To avoid being a "2 minutes and the gens are down victim", I tunnel usually 1 survivor down at midgame and every survivor I find with a toolbox in its hands.

To have time makes me always calm down and it also helps you maybe, @Kliah .

The background of this is, that there are no survivors around with toolboxes in their hands and the other survivors are to much bothered with rescuing, instead of gen repairing.

Killer matches can be make fun, if you are aible to slow the gens out and there is no other way imo, as to give survivor a other thing to do, like rescuing.

• avilmask
    avilmask Member Posts: 599
    Options

Wow, being a Hag and Spirit main is pretty bumpy road to go. Hag is adept of camping strategies and spirit is famous for "being uninteractive".

Practice is a king. At some point you'll get used to adrenaline that you get and the start of each match, or you'll understand that's not for you. You'll be bashed for performing for both too well or too bad, for just because you play a character or used a strategy that your opponents don't like. Sometimes you'll be blamed just because you play a killer (victim privilege, a guess). Not a lot you can recommend about that. Grow a thick skin, put your profile into friends only, hide the chat, etc. I'm used to competitive scene and teasing each other is practically a tradition in other games. But in this game winning condition is ultimately unclear and all rules put on the killer suggest that you should "entertain" another side (ahem, entity, according to lore, not survivors), so you basically get blamed for not being funny enough. Best tip I can give is just ignore it.

• Kliah
    edited January 2020
    Options

Thank you all for the advice. I really appreciate it.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,013
    Options

Just try your best not to care about what survivors do. It's pretty hard, but once you get over any annoying things they do, you'll have a better experience.

• ThisGuuy83
    ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303
    Options

Dude, your mistake is caring what other people think about you in this game. Who gives a ######### what people say and think, play however you want, whatevers most comfortable for you, and the main thing is just have fun. Don't let idiots ruin it for you. Happy hunting.

• hex_genrush
    hex_genrush Member Posts: 736
    Options

Be confident, don’t get insecure after a few losses keep pushing, remember your a killer main not many people are willing to take that role

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    Options

With the way match-making, and the latest ruin change and also the upcoming MMR system I'm past the point of caring if I do well or not in my killer games. As long as I get 4 stacks of BBQ and have some fun chases etc then whatever else happens is whatever to me. So I suppose just taking it easy and not really worrying about the outcome of a match is one way to stop jitters. I do remember my first times playing killer though. My aim shook slightly everytime I lunged at a survivor and my heart was beating faster than normal and I had full concentration..I miss that feeling :(

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,187
    Options

I can only say this. Don't play for win, play for fun. After all, we play video games for fun

• LustForBP
    LustForBP Member Posts: 611
    Options

Or, get this, make it much more welcoming and introducing for people to play killer and your matchmaking wouldn’t be so #########.

• Stitch7833
    Stitch7833 Member Posts: 632
    Options

Do your best and leave it at that, play the game on how its going, if youre against survivors who arent as strong or are slow on gens try not to tunnel and just have a fun longer game. when coming across those better survivors slug when you need to (dont slug all 4, this will be mostly on them but its very boring) other than that try have fun but i understand what you mean iv been rank 1 killer and survivor for years. can play survivor with any/no perks and not be stressed at all but coming to killer just sitting in the lobby is stressful, i never know if its gonna be a strong swf that just wanna bully and be toxic through the whole game when im trying to have fun and play fair

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

So you fear the "bad feedback" that you could get after a match? After you have played killer for a while, you will realize that there a lot of people who will always complain and insult you, no matter how you play. You can play super generous, no tunnel, no camp, perkless, add-on-less, no mori, and there will still be a lot of people who will insult you.

So as a consequence, don't care about what others tell you. If bloodpoints are important to you, play for bloodpoints. If kills are important for you, play for kills. If you want to try meme builds, try them. Play how you want to play.

Keep in mind that you as a killer are not the fun provider for survivors.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946
    Options

just dont have anxiety yo, ez fix.

But for realz, while this wont help much I always think, it literally does not matter.

You dont go backwards in anything that matters, only rank will suffer and honestly oyu dont even want to be at high ranks so its good and no matter how poorly you do, you get MORE bloodpoints, you never leave them

There is no negative to doing poorly at all, you only gain.

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920
    Options

You do know a game is supposed to be fun, right? I'm a survivor main but I play some killer and I know I'm not good at it, and it's unlikely I'll get a 4k. That's never my goal. I'm playing to have fun, make smart plays, get better, and hopefully get some good BP. I am always amazed by killers on the forums who talk about how stressful the game is for them. Don't play if you're not having fun.

• Elk
    Elk Member Posts: 2,267
    Options

Taking notes from this thread, haha! I got Killer Anxiety too.

• Iudex_Nemesis
    Iudex_Nemesis Member Posts: 326
    edited January 2020
    Options

I had a similar situation in a match where I was doctor and the survivors weren't fooling around. I was becoming so worked up that my hands were shaking causing me to miss alot of swings. I got hit with everything flashlights, pallets, 360, Dead Hard. It was rough.

Yet somehow I managed to turn things around and get a 4K. I think was I just able to stop caring about winning just focused on causing as much chaos as possible with my addons and perks. I was going let the last survivor escape but they wanted their flashlight (I had Frankins Demise) and tried to retrieve it but died to the entity.

• andyollolloll
    andyollolloll Member Posts: 940
    Options

To avoid anxiety simply don't play to win.

Just walk around hitting people, if you get anywhere near the top you'll find SWF on comms destroy you, this occurs frequently on console.

BHVR for some reason are nerfing Killers and their perks to create a balance for kill 2 and 2 escape but only at noob ranks which makes it so much fun in red ranks but you've spent your money on the game by then.

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410
    Options

You just do you, man. Play in whatever way you feel comfortable with. You'll get toxic comments sometimes, but most folks are rather chill. Pick yourself out a build and go huntin'!

• Snyggi
    Snyggi Member Posts: 1
    Options

I startet playing killer a few weeks ago and holy, that's much better and funnier than survivor. Just don't think about if you will win for the first matches, just play chilled and learn.

if there are games which don't run well, take it easy... you will get better :)

• kate_best_girl
    kate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,184
    Options

Ah we have the same killer mains!!! Well what I like to think is "Hag and Spirit are top tier so as long as I play decent I'll totally wreck them!" If you'd like I can give some tips!

• PrettyFaceKate
    PrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,776
    Options

It's a game. Play to improve and go through the learning curve. Ignore what survivors will tell you.

• Bradyguy99
    Bradyguy99 Member Posts: 226
    Options

Wait.... you get nervous playing killer? I mean I was same when I started playing survivor because I was scared but as killer you are the thing to fear. I guess just remember that. Be smart. Play to kill. End them. KILL THEM ALL! Uh.... ya something like that idk what to say. Just remember if they fear you they'll make mistakes and faulter. (Even red ranks suprisely.)

• avilmask
    avilmask Member Posts: 599
    Options

Haha, that's one tip for a survivor as well: killer probably just as afraid of you as you afraid of them. As you can see from thread alone :)

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,030
    Options

Just play as best you can and ignore the haters. People will flame ya whether you do really well or badly, that part doesnt really matter. If you do well, your a tryhard and if you do badly, your a baby killer who was carried by whatever perk they deem OP. Just try your best and dont worry about their opinion.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,030
    Options

Different type of nerves. As a killer, you can get nervous of looking like a fool and being looked down upon by the people who just stomped you.

• kate_best_girl
    kate_best_girl Member Posts: 2,184
    Options

Okay so despite popular theory, Trapping hooks isn't effective UNLESS its basement hooks.

• Kliah
    Options

Being bullied by SWF isn't fun. Try it some time and you'll see where I'm coming from. Lol

• Kliah
    edited February 2020
    Options

Oh, I know that haha. I usually trap on either side of a pallet and windows and doors. And of course, hooked survivors in certain situations like basement.

• Kliah
    Options

Only some people like me are afraid of the "power" role. So I wouldn't assume all killers are nervous. Most are cold blooded or just dont really care that much.