Why I don't play Killer (RANT)

Unicorn
Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340

(Before you read this, just know this is a rant and I, just like you, have every right to voice how I feel and my opinion. I know not every Survivor is like this and I'm not generalizing us as a whole.)

Playing DBD for as long as I've played, I have yet to receive hate mail or harassment from a Killer after a match being a Survivor main. Do I have bad games? Yes, all the time, but never do I ever feel as bad about a bad game as Survivor than I do about playing Killer.

Last week I posted a topic about messages I received from a Survivor that was upset I camped with Bubba to complete a challenge. I got over it, even though the messages were super messed up and one of the worst things you can say to a person. But then I get on my YouTube last night and realized this person and his group of friends took the time out of their lives to search up my PSN ID on YouTube and find my channel.

Not only did they dislike every video, but comments they left were so disgusting OVER ONE MATCH, ONE MATCH THAT I CAMPED ONE PERSON. The one time I actually decide, "Hey, I want to play Killer and get my challenges done even though I know I'm bad at it" I get harassed. Why do Killers proceed to get treated like garbage by the player base? How do Killer mains deal with the negativity when it comes to just doing their jobs? (which is to KILL). I've been camped, tunneled, tea bagged but Piggy/Ghostface, slapped while on the hook, ect but never have I ever went as far as messaging someone and talking trash to them or better yet, searching up their PSN ID to find them on other platforms to continues my hissy fit.

Its a game. I never knew DBD was taken this serious to the point that people will go as far as to basically cyber bully someone over a match that went wrong. This is just a rant about my experience as Killer. I don't like the way they're treated and yes I get that tunneling and camping Killers are not fun to go against because this is a video game and video games are meant to be fun, but if you're a Survivor that decides to go out of your way to bully someone because of one bad match, shame on you. You give Survivors like me a bad name & are the majority of the reason why there is a divide between the two sides.

(END RANT)

Comments

• hex_genrush
    hex_genrush Member Posts: 736

matchmaking is horrible

• iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299

I've seen this type of harrassment on other YouTube videos as well. Most of those streamers even apologized for that one camping incident but the hateful comments continued on their YouTube comment section. It's very sad to see this happen

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,946

I'm only playing it because of challenges playing against red ranks when I'm rank 8 is very fun very fair obviously

• Diam
    Diam Member Posts: 50
    edited February 2020

I've had people come and dislike my videos before over a match too, however due to a different game. This is why I private my profile (on steam) and change my IGN often. I don't feel like getting harassed or wasting my time. It's also why I won't have my actual username on this forums account.

It's kind of sad what people will do, but you just have to expect the worst now.

Edit: However I wouldn't quit killer because of a single match going wrong.

• BloodyNights
    BloodyNights Member Posts: 526

-Insert Entitled Survivors, also insert Entitled Killers here-

No point in taking sides here, I've had both hatemail as a killer, and hatemail as a survivor. This isn't a you versus them issue, it's just people being horrible people. Just bust out the block button. It instantly gets rid of cyber bullying. Reporting them could net in them getting banned as well. That's all you need to do and it will be over.

• Unicorn

I'm not sure if you saw above because there is alot to read but I prefer not to player Killer because I'm not good at it. The harassment is just a plus of why I don't.

• Cronk
    Cronk Member Posts: 283

Do you now appreciate forced killer mains?

• Unicorn

This was done. I understand there are ways to just get rid of it and let it go but the point of my rant is why does it even have to happen in the first place and why do Survivors get so mad that they resort to this behavior? I've gotten mad plenty of times but I have enough common courtesy not to message the human behind the screen and bully them. I was fine after the psn message, its the youtube thing that shocked me. Like wow, you really went out of your way to gather at least 5-6 friends to make disgusting comments under a YouTube videos I have of other games I enjoyed with my friends. When does it ever have to get that far?

• Unicorn
    edited February 2020

I've always appreciated and praised Killer mains.

Edit: especially the ones that can take the attacks with a grain of salt.

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122

I get that- theres a lot of reasons why, but if you want to play nobody and nothing should stop you. Even if you're not good, just enjoy yourself- thats whats important :)

• Unicorn

Its okay. I just feel bad for the Killer mains, they have to deal with this all the time unlike me, the few times I play Killer.

• Unicorn

I agree but I honestly enjoy playing Survivor more. Its less stressful and I feel like I'm better at it than Killer. I can't track at all as a Killer xD I lose track of scratch marks so quickly and cannot maintain chases.

• HealsBadMan
    HealsBadMan Member Posts: 1,122

I get that- I've had that happen to me all the time. It's a little weird, but even though I'm a Killer main and play Killer all the time, my Survivor rank is always higher (Red rank survivor, purple killer) XD

• Kymalim
    Kymalim Member Posts: 3

I'm not one for playing killer, but over the last few games I've had, they have been ridiculous!! My killer rank is currently 12 and I have been put up against ranks anywhere between 3 and 8 I've not seen anything higher. Now normally I would never DC but today I felt that bullied in a game, I did for the first time ever. It was my 4th game ever playing as spirit (archive challenge) so still trying to get the hang of her, when I did DC the ranks I was put up against were two 3's and two 5's. But as a survivor I never bully, body block, harass the killer I've never once messaged any killers over the game I've been messaged playing as a killer purely for using mori being told to F#@K off and that I should kill myself after that I switched off my messaging system.

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520

I had not that level of toxicity as you in the game, but it started as I started to post in the steam-dbd forums.

My reaction was to set my steam profil on privat, because I had dislike the thought - and I would not be able - to play moderator of my own steam profil page 24/7.

Besides that, it doesn't bother me much. I am for countless years now in the internet and well... I don't care if someone toxic is outraged of me.

In the time he is on rage and is crying like a kid, I use my time to do something that makes fun, or work. If someone enjoys being upset about someone - let him - but don't waste your own time and energy on them.

That is imo the best advice.

• Flatskull
    Flatskull Member Posts: 332

The game in its current state lacks any horror and promotes a competitive atmosphere to the extreme.

My guess is that due to survivors lacking alternatives besides loops and pallets when those fail or they can't execute them-unless they got certain perks- they feel frustratingly powerless. But then again so does the killer watching gens pop while a survivor loops an unmindamable pallet.

So the enigma as to why we see it more in survivors remains for me. It could be just that they'in a group and one gets pissed they rest are egged on too. That and the frequency of SWF-comeptitive or not- is of course going to cause a us/him mentality and extra saltiness at not being able to protect a comrade.

• TDR
    TDR Member Posts: 30

Have they spent so much time? Usually they like to write another nonsense in the profile of the killer in steam. Just write to YouTube tech support, let their cyberbullying turn against them, be calm and do not panic. These are just kids who have absolutely nothing to do in their life.

• Unicorn

I'm sorry that happened to you. I had the same experience with what was said to you. Its such a nasty thing to say to someone.

• Cronk

Can we clone you then? So no killer get boolied if they vs 4 of your clones.

• Unicorn

Trust me, I understand this being a Survivor main and playing with friends every now and then. Its just the way my friend carry themselves. Neither of my friend ever put that much negativity into the atmosphere to where we decide as a whole "You know what? Lets harass and bully this person because they camped _______." I will never understand that mentality. I mean it is the internet and all but wow.

• Unicorn

I appreciate your advice. I'm not very much worked up about, I'm more so just trying to spread awareness of what Killers go through just for doing their job. Its so sad.

• Unicorn

I have quadruplette twin Jane sisters. Lets do it, we will provide DNA for the Doctor to make clones of us like he does of himself.

• Unicorn

I agree. This needs to be a thing, stand up and show your teammates that put forth this behavior that its not cute and its not okay. Its disgusting, and its never that serious to where you have to resort to such foul practices and language.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917

I do personally do try to side with the killer most of the time because I get harassed like this a lot when I play killer that it really kills the game for me just to see people harass each other over a video game.

I have said this before and I'll say it again: If you play balanced you will grow to despise how toxic survivors get when compared to killers.

Not saying I don't get toxic killers(If the killer is toxic I side with the other survivors) its just a lot less likely for obvious reasons 1 killer vs 3 survivors who could be toxic.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,261

Personally, the way I see it... You can flashlight blind, clicky clicky around and T bag at every pallet...but when the match is over and that endgame chat pops up, I still just say GG. I don't mind chatting Abit, but nothing toxic.

• Unicorn

It should never get that far. Death threats are to the extreme and so unnecessary, its so sad that people think this is okay.

• Nakedwildman
    Nakedwildman Member Posts: 198

I can link you my steam profile if you wish, and you will see page over page with insults, harrasment, life threat's and stuff... I do not have ANY game that don't end up with insults, however I do play/perform. I guess it's because Survivors do not have to expect much. Yes, you can open a ticket and report them... But seriously, I'm wasting more time by reporting the players, and waiting in the lobby to find a match, then I can even play the proper game. It's sad, but as long as nothing serious gets changed, I can't do much against it.

• evil_one_74
    evil_one_74 Member Posts: 312

Agreed. I'm rank 4 survivor, and 14 killer at the moment. When playing killer, I am going against purple ranks consistently, with a green or red here and there. Matches are over quickly, and I am left with very few points. Not for lack of trying. I'm not horrible at killer, but I'm not great either. It just makes it difficult to enjoy it..

• OGOzSnowChimp
    OGOzSnowChimp Member Posts: 247

I take the hate mail as a sign of a job well done.

• Stuff like that is why I’m considering to quit playing killer. That, and the bad maps, the fact the devs really don’t care about how toxic this community is, the extensive and difficult grind for BP and Iridescent Shards. Jesus, it’s a miracle that people still play killer in the first place.

• Cronk
  • Aneurysm
    Aneurysm Member Posts: 5,270

Agreed, I switch my messages off before playing killer or my inbox turns into a dumpster fire, even when I'm playing 'nice' like I usually do. I've got salty messages from killers too but it's rare and very tame in comparison.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

Yes it might even be 36+ depends on which month he was born, he did not reply whether this was true or not. Sometimes when people put in weird numbers in their names, either 4 digits or 2 and it is not something absurd it might be their year of birth.

I asked whether it is and why he has nothing better to do than to haress me over a lost game in an online game, he has been silent since.

• Cronk
  • Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,068

I've received a death threat from a survivor I mind gamed at a wooden bench tile on Haddonfield. They said some pretty messed up things. I reported them to steam, but couldn't to BHVR because they don't have the ability to punish players outside of the game. Worst experience I've ever had.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

I just don't even stay for after game chat unless I smell salt coming and I want some.

As to how I can stand it when I do get crap from people... It just helps me to think about how pissed off they're getting over a match that probably lasted like 10 minutes, and that usually brings me enough enjoyment to cancel out whatever displeasure their words would bring.

And don't get me wrong, it's not because I play toxic. I'll intentionally do stupid things fairly often because I don't care about "winning" too much, so I don't feel extremely pressured to finish any one person off. So you can imagine the type of special sensitive person that would get mad against me. That's the enjoyment factor.

• mw3202019
    mw3202019 Member Posts: 1

Hi, so I am a baby killer. Like today is day 4, and I had my first chance at a mori on my second day. However these survivors seem to have a set of unspoken rules.

Just before I could get my first mori, the kid DC'd. As we got to the endgame lobby it was a lot of insulting my stealth Wraith tactics. I can't play survivor due to having the worst reflexes ever. (I tried my damndest) So please survivors, I play killer so you guys have a game to play.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

Your big mistake is caring wehat they say. You gave them way too much time in your head. Ignore chat, delete comments move on to next match. Way too much energy spent on some zoomer kids who dont even shave yet

• PureHostility
    PureHostility Member Posts: 708

Back in 2016, when nurse came out, I played as a nurse (addonless), I killed a 4 man premade, they were russians. It was one of mu last game that night and went to bed. Game wasnt anything special, just generic nurse match with a bit of slugging.

They posted over 100 comments on my steam profile over the course of the night. Most were short and matched the theme of "#########".

Trust me, people will go off their way to spread their salt, especially if they are group players, due to mob mentality and probably low Intelligence, they are more prone to doing that.

Ive got hundreds of comments on my steam profile from salty survivor mains.

It is really nothing special when it comes to online gaming.

• BaldursGate2
    BaldursGate2 Member Posts: 994

I leave the game ASAP when the game ends, even when i did not tunnel or camp anyone. The survivor rulebook for killers is just laughable.

• DrDeepwound
    DrDeepwound Member Posts: 2,557

yep, I type GG GLHF and dip, there is nothing a survivor could say in chat that I actually want to read.

• AlbinoViera
    AlbinoViera Member Posts: 169

In all honesty, you eventually get used to people hating you for being a killer. Every killer will apparently be super easy to play and/or overpowered. You'll learn how many times your mother has slept with a 12 year old. You'll find out what sexuality you are quite a bit too. Or if you have my gamertag, you'll have hundreds of people try and insult you by calling you a weeb.

A couple times I've been threatened by someone claiming they can find me through my IP address, another time I was asked to go half-way across my country for them to fight me.

People are strange and angry creatures. You learn to ignore it, or you start to enjoy the hate you get.

• Unicorn

Ignoring someone, let alone a GROUP of people is impossible when they find you on other platforms that have nothing to do with the game and harass you, threaten you & bully you.

The whole point of this thread was for me to rant. Irregardless of “if I care” not, it shouldn’t happen in the first place. If anything, the Killer shouldn’t be the one told to “get over it and move onto the next game” in this case; the Survivor should.

Also, I really don’t entertain the fact that these people are “just kids.” There are grown 20-30+ players dispensing this behavior as well (my harasser was a grown a** man, I saw his rl picture.) Don’t excuse what they do by saying they’re just “zoomed kids” because that’s more than likely NEVER the case.

• Unicorn

I hope you flagged/reported them. That behavior is disgusting.