We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

Dead Hard SHOULD NOT grant immunity against bear traps

So everyone knows about the trick to getting past Trapper's traps just by dead harding over them. Not only is this unfair, it literally makes no logical sense. It is unfair because a survivor basically can completely ignore a trap & extend the chase they were just in. Trapper gets screwed because then he either has to take time to pick up his trap or has to find a different route to continue chase. Not only that, it would be physically impossible in real life to do this to a real bear trap. Dead hard is a dash forward, not a jump, so it doesn't make sense how they wouldn't still get trapped.

I know the ability grants a brief period of immunity to the survivor, but honestly that in itself is so stupid. In general, dead hard shouldn't even negate attacks as it makes zero sense. There are times where you go to hit a survivor & they dead hard either into you or through the area you're hitting at but dead hard trumps the attack registering. I get that is kinda the point of the perk, but in a real situation like this that would never be the case. Dash all you want, if you get hit with a weapon you're gonna get hit lol. Point of this thread is just that dead hard is a far-fetched perk concept.

P.S. I'm not saying Dead Hard is OP by any means. I kinda think it's crap because I just wait out everyone's dead hard anyways. The perk should be just about either trying to make the killer whiff or to reach a pallet/window faster in order to avoid being hit. There shouldn't be an invincibility factor to it that isn't logically correct.

Comments

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,832

i mean, if how things were made in this game were based on how it is in real life then this game wouldnt exist. literally every single thing in this game is far fetched cause its, well, a game.

i do agree that DH is annoying tho

• Huntar
    Huntar Member Posts: 848

Absolutely get rid of the ability to DH over traps, since it's overly powerful if used in a spot where traps would actually be useful. Otherwise, I think it's fine. Doesn't matter if it makes sense, as long as it doesn't do anything to ruin someone else's fun.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

I disagree.

Perk reads:

"You can take a beating. When Injured, tap into your adrenaline bank and dash forward quickly to avoid damage."

Yes. You should be able to "take a beating", this perk is suppose to work along the same lines of Mettle. You're only evading an attack (i.e. Trap, Swing whatever form).

Sorry, but thinking the reasoning is "stupid" isn't enough for me to agree.

• ZtarShot
    ZtarShot Member Posts: 838

Are you trapping killer shack?

Or wait, you're going to say you play Survivor more, so The Trapper you faced is trapping killer shack and YOU dead harder over it.

• Spooky13
    Spooky13 Member Posts: 1,471
    edited February 2020

Trapper's traps need a bit of a rework. Survivors have a few dumb ways to negate them. You can hold them open by doing the Disarm Trap animation, Dead Hard over them. My idea is that as long as the trap is in an open state, the hitbox exists and stepping into it in any way, shape, or form, will cause the trap to activate.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

I'm almost sure it's not "purposely" kept in. I've heard several times that there existed older spots that used to happen in, and they got patched out. Maybe I'm wrong, but it doesn't make sense why they'd remove some and keep some "purposely" like that.

Anyway about the DH thing, yeah I somewhat feel it shouldn't be a thing. I get the whole point of the perk is to function like a brief immunity, but it does kind of take out the skill and timing when all a person needs to do is just know where a trap is and just blast completely through it. I don't personally have a ton of problems with that happening but I agree it at least doesn't really seem like a thing that should happen. Kind of just removes the usefulness of putting down the trap, and the skill of using DH.

• Darth_Cader
    Darth_Cader Member Posts: 128

No the trap clipping is purposely left in, in many places, I’ve seen several mods and devs confirm it as well as players who also read confirmations of it and discussed it.

And once again, hit boxes are broken as hell so Dead Hard is needed to counter that, and since hit boxes will never be fixed, Dead Hard will stay as it is.

Also there is no skill of timing since lunges literally are the distance of a Dead Hard and some Killers like Freddy and T3 Myers have an even bigger lunge.

Dead Hard is also a perk that can only be used while injured, is an exhaustion perk, and is useless against instadowns. Even if this game’s many flaws were fixed Dead Hard should still stay as it is. Most perks in this game don’t rely on skill anyway.

• ClickyClicky
    ClickyClicky Member Posts: 3,536
    edited February 2020

I agree. Trapper can cut off an area (say for example a doorway) and the survivor can dead hard through it but Trapper has to stop to pick up his trap before he can get through unhindered.

A killer shouldn’t have a power that hinders them more than it hinders a survivor

• Colton147
    Colton147 Member Posts: 523

Moris.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

Dead Hard allows you to avoid literally any killer ability sooo why not the trapper one as well'?

• 28_stabs
    28_stabs Member Posts: 1,470

Play Hag, heh.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495

The infinite on Macmillan's. Yes, it can indeed extend a chase.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 817

I'd rather they just made it so Trapper can't stand in his own traps.

• Huff
    Huff Member Posts: 1,480

Ok well I'll have to trust you on that then. One thing I will say though, I don't see the connection between DH and dedicated servers. If anything I would think DH wouldn't be used as much with dedicated servers, because the timing gets messed up.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

There's a reason why the developers removed the DH tech against RBTs because it's completely negates the purpose of a killer's power.

Therefore, DH rendering Bear Traps useless by a single perk is not okay and should be looked at. 😁

I know the perk is risky and changing it will make it worse, but that's mainly due to connection issues. The perk should, upon use, grant the Endurance status for 3 seconds and the survivor during that period will raise their arm in front of them.

• SolAkira
    SolAkira Member Posts: 71

Yes let's bring logic it. Trapper can step over his traps after setting them briefly. He also can just step in it and keep walking after he rearms it.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

i definitely agree.

like, how do you dodge a BEARTRAP (thats designed to catch running prey), by literally running over it?!?

hello? logic?

also from a balance stand point, Trapper does not deserve to get so many perks hardcountering him. thats sooo unnecessary...

though, i LOVE when a wannabe toxic survivor deadhards over my trap (shack pallet) into shack to taunt me from there, just to realize i am now vaulting through the window and he has no way to avoid me anymore xD

• underlord99
    underlord99 Member Posts: 1,030

you're wrong about it purposely being left in , the traps next to the building on gas haven were patched awhile back and those traps were fully invisible.

• underlord99
    underlord99 Member Posts: 1,030

also freddys lunge has been tested several times , it's the same distance as other killers. Myers t3 is the only one with a longer lunge besides oni while using his ability .

• Murd3rousClyd3
    Murd3rousClyd3 Member Posts: 71
    edited February 2020

Ok... So I'm a killer main. Roughly 5:1 ratio killer:survivor gameplay.

And I hafta point out... How you said it doesn't make any sense... Well, have you ever seen a bear trap in rl? I have. I've set them. I can tell you this, if I was running from somebody, and saw a bear trap, I'd EASILY step over it.

That being said, it doesn't make sense that bear traps work. Anybody with a brain knows to look forward when running. That being said, they'd easily avoid being trapped, at a full run. So based on your argument of "logic", bear traps would almost never work, and that's without any special skills.

Your argument is invalid.

Edit:. I'd also like to point out that when I play trapper, I RARELY have this problem. But then again, I always have 2 traps when I enter a loop, and set both in known loop routes. If they miss the first, by taking the alternate route, I push them to my other trap. As long as you stay in control of the chase, which is your JOB as a Trapper, you'll be fine.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,830

I like this interaction and want it to stay. Logic has nothing to do with the game. But you can think of dead harding past a trap as "jumping" over it. Tricking a trapper into stepping into his own trap is super funny too.

• Xetoil
    Xetoil Member Posts: 94

The devs have said before that they don't want certain perks to work as counter play against certain killers (They said this with No Mither vs The Oni)

Hopefully Trapper will get his time of day as the doctor and freddy did, and all of the outdated counter play against him specifically will be looked into and removed.

Hopefully they'll take out Lightburn too.

• Ratatosk
    Ratatosk Member Posts: 23

This game is not meant to be realistic in any way. Getting slashed across the back with a giant blade would most likely kill you, but you only get hurt in this game. A SINGLE perk granting LESS THAN A SECOND of immunity is no big deal at all.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

Id rather just take the ability for trapper to walk over his traps without triggering them. Its kind of a stupid mechanic to have in the first place, because in the wrong instance his power can end up operating like a wall, keeping him away from his own targets....pretty stupid....

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,968

I second this. Don't let these survivor mains tell you it's a 'fair' interaction.

• Murd3rousClyd3
    Murd3rousClyd3 Member Posts: 71

If this particular interaction affects your game so horribly, maybe you should play survivor.

First off, playing survivor will give you a better grasp of how to use traps properly. (Hint: having one lone trap in a jungle gym is NOT adequate)

Second off, if Deadhard vs. Traps or any other power can have such an effect on you to insist it be changed, maybe you're not cut out for playing killer.

Again, I'm a killer main. A great example of my second point is myself vs. my wife. I'm great on the killer side, have been from the beginning, but I'm simply an adequate survivor, and was horrible to start with. My wife, however, had a natural knack for survivor, with more widespread awareness. Put her in the killer role, and she is horrible. It requires a different focus and strategy entirely.

So if it's not a problem with just not being experienced enough, maybe it's something holding you back. It seems that the people who are against Deadhard get flustered with survivor tactics rather easily. And if you get flustered, you're tilted, if you're tilted, you don't have control.

Just saying.

• snozer
    snozer Member Posts: 776

This is a survivor benefit so will never be changed.

If it was a benefit to killer tho you bet it would be changed in a week.

• feechima
    feechima Member Posts: 902

I mean how often is this even happening? I main hag, and you only need a flashlight to give her hell. You can burn Wraith before he uncloaks, and no one else's trap has the ability to completely incapacitate people. So in the instance the stars line up "you see the trap, you're already injured, and dedicated servers don't screw you over" you dead hard over it. That's a smart play that rarely ever happens. Trapper needs help with his setting up speed, not the occasional dh user stepping over his trap.

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632

Sorry it should be "Dead Hard Should Not Grant Immunity" there fixed.

• TheObamacare
    TheObamacare Member Posts: 29

Exhausted when played in a poor manner, I know you guys are not used to being penalized for mistakes but that's just the way she goes...

Next.

• SL33PY
    SL33PY Member Posts: 71

When I play trapper the survivors glitching the traps placed by

When I play trapper the survivors glitching the traps placed on door switches so they can open the gate without disarming my traps is what annoys me.

• Eathian
    Eathian Member Posts: 82

I had no idea you could do this. Good to know

• LustForBP
    LustForBP Member Posts: 611

I’m sorry what? I play killer only lol. The only time I ever touch survivor is if my friends get on which is rare.

Next.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367

Just consider it stepping around or a jump over. It is fine and if you waste your dh there trapper can still catch you. He can side step his own traps.

• What about Slippery Meat against Trapper?

Streetwise against Hag?

Small Game against Hag?

Calm Spirit against Doctor?

Sixth Sense against Freddy, Shape, Wraith, Spirit, Ghostface or any killer using stealth perks or, in demigorgon's case, add-ons?

• Negi
    Negi Member Posts: 378

Would be a nice buff to Trapper, but he's a killer so...should probably just be glad they can't crouch past them.

• legionIsBackBaby
    legionIsBackBaby Member Posts: 32

Idk but as a killer main (high purple/low red

I see nothing wrong with survivors using dead hard over traps and what rank are you? I suggest you learn placement of traps rather than complain

Just sayin

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

@NMCKE

No offense but I think that the way DH affected RBTs is completely different than Trapper Traps

I play a trapper a ton and so I’ve been exposed to people using DH over traps but in my experience the trap is still useful because a) it’s in a good spot so why would I pick it up? b) There is a chance someone else will step in it.

It isn’t the most unbalanced thing in the world and honestly I give props to anyone who is that aware of were my trap is.

Ive used this tech where I “thought” they might have had a trap and sometimes I succeed and sometimes I just wasted my DH.

What’s next? Remove pallets because you could also throw those down and vault completely negating the trap that’s underneath.

• jayjay23vaz
    jayjay23vaz Member Posts: 12

Absolutely nothing wrong with DH rn. As a survivor main it often comes in handy but it's very rare where I'll see a trap coming and know to deadhard. Once it's used its gone so ur pretty much going down regardless. All DH does is buy u time.

• jayjay23vaz
    jayjay23vaz Member Posts: 12

It makes no logical sense sure but it's a fantasy horror game not a real life simulator. maybe when deadharding a trap the trap could stay stuck to ur leg for the rest of the game but that's about it. It shouldnt cancel out deadhards immunity effect.

• CrispyChestnuts
    CrispyChestnuts Member Posts: 175

Is there nothing wrong with it or does it not work most of the time?

• xJOELx209
    xJOELx209 Member Posts: 22

There is nothing wrong with dead hard, if it didn’t negate the attack dead hard would by far be the worst exhaustion perk in the game

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

I don't think perks should almost render a killer's power useless because if you ever face that killer, they can't do nothing about it.

One time, I Dead Hard over a Bear Trap and it forced the killer to pick his trap up. By the time he started chasing me, I made so much distance and if the killer swings in anticipation of me getting trapped — the killer will get himself trapped.

Pallets are different, just don't place the trap directly where the dropped pallet would be at. You have control over that, but you don't have any control over survivors using DH to make your traps be a detriment to you. 😁

• Xetoil
    Xetoil Member Posts: 94

I think streetwise against Hag is stretching a bit mate, the real issue is flashlights. All I said was the devs have expressed a viewpoint and I'm saying hopefully they'll follow through with it.

I'm wrong about what they said anyway, they said they didn't want perks to directly counter killers. For example "No Mither means No Blood Orbs" would overwrite "Injured = Blood Orbs" that would require No Mither to have to be changed to include that ability on top of its usual ability.

Calm Spirit on the other hand is "90% No Screams" not "90% When Doc Shock, You No Scream".

I'm guessing you mean either Spine Chill or Premonition by Sixth Sense. They're both strong perks, but not a direct counters in the same way that slippery meat actually works against Trapper (and only trapper) specifically. Bare in mind Premonition doesn't let you know if a killer is approaching you or not, and has a cooldown, and Spine Chill doesn't let you know the direction of the killer, nor does it always give a clear indication that they're actually a threat to you unless you're also good at reading the situation.

But this thread is not about Spine Chill/Premonition, it's about Dead Hard. Dead hard as it stands only counters trappers traps because it grants invulnerability, it's not an intended feature of the perk. If trapper got enough of a good rework, maybe it would be fine keeping it as is, but as an above poster mentioned, Dedicated Servers can make timing those invulnerability frames cumbersome and unreliable, so maybe it does need a change.

• LustForBP
    LustForBP Member Posts: 611

If we’re talking about him complaining about DH through a trap, and it not working most of the time? No, there’s nothing wrong with it. Latency causes the issue with it not working, not the perk itself. The perk is a counter to damage, which is does perfectly fine. It’s really not that great of a perk and even when used against me I still catch the person unless the execute it to a vault or pallet then they just bested me. I’m literally not going to complain about a balanced perk simply because it beat me once.

• Mellow7
    Mellow7 Member Posts: 793

Almost every good survivor I know doesn't use DH for the I-frames that's just like a cherry on top.The majority use it for distance because there is no counterplay for using DH for distance.

• muqroso
    muqroso Member Posts: 3

What it should do is trigger trapper like caught but you were fast enough to not be trapped. I hate having to pick it up or go around.