Anyone know why DBD's animations and textures are so pathetic?

I am well aware that balance is a hugely more important issue than visuals, but seriously... its pathetic. On high settings on PC, the hair texture is literally PS1 level of #########. The Clothing is simply tighly pasted to the base character model, with no actual depth or organic flow, look at the way tank tops will stretch around a surviviors armpit... lol. And the final biggest thing: Mori's! God damn they are pathetic! can someone explain why the Mori's have so little weight to them? It looks like the Trapper is swinging a foam pirate sword at the survivor, with some corny ass sound effects played over it! Why when I get Moried, my body stays fully intact? No cuts, tears, blood, gore, anything?? Are the animators on strike? Or just incompetent? Demogorgon bites my entire head, and I just pull it out without a scratch? Laughable.

Would love to hear other opinions on this.

Comments

• pizzamess
    pizzamess Member Posts: 209

The game is a dumpster fire from a technical stand point with more bugs than I can think of and sound design that breaks every other patch, and they can barely get the game to run with the textures they have now imagine if they put in better textures, it would blow up even a good computer.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

It depends tbh, if you open up a Kill Your Friends match and rotate your killer I think a lot of the textures look pretty darn good.

But ingame there is a LOT of stuff that looks horrible, especially older parts of the game have this weird flakey paint like textures on Rocks, Trees, Cars, even survivors.

Look at Dwights shirt for example here, or his hands, its almost shell shaded or something, just looks odd.

But again, lot of the newer stuff looks a lot better.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

No, textures have no impact on performance, its purely a matter of Vram.

• aurum_exe
    aurum_exe Member Posts: 182
    edited February 2020

Because it's not the intent of the game to be "realistic" but "cartoonish". All the animations are the proof that the mood of this game is "comedy" with black humor, and doesn't need to taken seriously. It's a style choice that has nothing to do with devs, but only to designer's department.

• ProfoundEnding
    ProfoundEnding Member Posts: 2,334
    edited February 2020

I just don't think they have the experience. They were and still are a relatively small team. And DBD doesn't make near enough money for them to be creating games with a graphical appearance like that of GTA. I know you're not asking for that much detail but anything slightly realistic requires money and experience that BHVR just does not have at this point.

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615

Because its not intended to have good visuals? Games are still made to this day to emulate older styles.

• arslaN
    arslaN Member Posts: 1,936

Like others have pointed out, I think the newer maps and characters look OK but the older ones definitely look bad. New Lery's for example looks great and I hope the older maps will also get a visual makeover.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,362

Not every game needs to go for realism. Games like Borderlands and Fortnight are still very popular, even though they go with a cartoonish design.

• PigNRun
    PigNRun Member Posts: 2,428
    edited February 2020

I believe its just mostly a matter of "early DbD" vs "newer DbD". Textures have always been bad, but anything from like, I dont know... Curtain Call onwards, looks fairly decent compared to the early textures. They have revisited textures. In terms of maps, it tends to be a success (Lery's being the prime example). In terms of cosmetics, a bit less (though Kate's hair was an improvement).

Something to note is that because of old textures being bad, one can wonder how old DbD looked better. My opinion, map balance that made them brighter and less foggy, and the several engine updates we have gotten through the years. Both of these things made he game less atmospheric and bad textures became more apparent and out of place.

Small notes about moris, they do suck. But only the original three do; Trapper, Wraith and Hillbilly (the last one being less so). Anything from Nurse onwards, looks amazingly gore-ish. Demodoggo's case is a special case though. I dont know if the reason behind it was because of severing an entire head was way too violent or there was a technical limitation to it. You can argue "But what about Clown and cutting fingers?". Thats probably because a small finger is easier to shrink (Thats how it works, by the way. They cant separate limbs from a model) and it doesnt show the inside of the finger. For Demodoggo, on the other hand, they would have to reveal the entirety of the neck's insides and right in front of the player's camera. Thats both immensely more graphic and more complicated to accomplish.

Edit:

Also, Devs, pls, sync the players' bodies when a mori starts. <_< Stabbing/Chainsawing/Strangling the air has been a problem for a long while.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,362

Then we can have great things like SUPER versions of killers that move twice as fast as normal, as long as your willing to pay for them of course...

Buy Super Hillbilly now for only 20 bucks.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

The team dedicated to optimization takes a lot of time thats why, and optimizing DBD is a hard job since you pretty much have to render every vault and pallet possible, as all survivors,generators, and killer

But regarding skins and such you should check dbd in artstation

The dbd art team shows off their works there and if you look at the details of the models before they simplify it for the game wil baffle you

• Livearth
    Livearth Member Posts: 57
    edited February 2020

They didn't use Motion Capture who know why... even Friday the 13th used it instead they have 3D animators. Besides is not a AAA game, they are a tiny Developer Team just like 40 people I believe, soo have better and smoth animations like a AAA game cost a lot.

• QuitBitching30
    QuitBitching30 Member Posts: 13

It's because if DBD was good it would be too graffic

• LigmaEnigma
    LigmaEnigma Member Posts: 2

*laughs in Nintendo switch*

• Patthewolf
    Patthewolf Member Posts: 8

I would imagine for balance. The game runs at 60FPS when games these days should have uncapped framerates but if they did that then people playing above 60FPS on 144hz monitors would have slight advantages in terms of input lag. That or the programmers are terrible *shrug*