Why is killer so stressful and weak?

Spooky13
Spooky13 Member Posts: 1,471

Hopped on DBD to get some Archive challenges done. Played some survivor. Did some gens, searched chests, did totems, got chased, got hooked, and escaped. Died once out of 7 games at red ranks. Hopped on killer.

FUN. Rinse and repeat for 7 more games before I get burnt out. Devour Hope, the one Hex totem that should stay around until mid to late game, was gone in under 2 minutes consistently because totem spawns are total #########. Was sent to either Coldwind, Haddonfield, or Ormond. Teabags were had, gens were rushed, the usual. Even in matches where I'm trying to learn Clown or Doc who have three or two ######### perks because Devour Hope keeps spawning either next to a gen, next to a survivor, or out in the open for the survivors to have their way with it.

Why is killer, the power role in this asymmetrical game, the stressful role? Why isn't it survivor? The side where I'm supposed to be fearing for my life? Instead I can just loop, stun, and rin to the nearest infinite unless it's Billy, Nurse, or Spirit, then I actually have to use a quarter of the grey matter inside my skull.

Why is survivor the cakewalk? Why is survivor both the numerous and the power role? I should be playing killer to let off some steam and feel powerful, not hope to god that I get a good map, get a good totem spawn, get good pallet and tile spawns, pray that the survivors aren't bringing in 4 semi decent toolboxes, ect. Then I have to keep track of 20 perks, aforementioned totem and pallet spawns, who is who, who's on death hook, if anyone has DS or BT, items, my own power and addons, hook placements, and so on.

Killer makes me want to lobotomize myself with a plastic spoon. Survivor makes me feel like I am actually braindead because of how easy it is.

Comments

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398

I don't find killer too stressful when I'm playing certain killers. You're also playing addonless Wraith so of course you found it stressful, Wraith is terrible without any add-ons or slowdown perks. Killer choice matters in terms of how stressful the game is going to be.

• ScottJund
    ScottJund Member Posts: 1,115

Its stressful because your entire team is yourself. Survivors are only 25% of their own team so they have less individual responsibility.

• Quol
    Quol Member Posts: 694

You are doing everything with no down time. In fact if you play killer and you have down time you are doing something wrong. As a survivor the 'stress' of the game is split 4 ways, you can spend over half of the match chilling by a gen watching other survivors get chased.

In addition to that killer requires more things to keep track of compared to survivors.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

The primary issue is maps.

Followed by some still broken perks.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

I am more worried by the fact that you feel that way, stressed.

If you are feeling that way and simply can't stop playing the game, seek help.

• Demiurg
    Demiurg Member Posts: 122

Because on killers side only 1 purchase of the game and dlc, survs side 4 purchases.And nobody care that it is horror game.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

What he is saying is that one side of the game should not make many people feel stressed. I agree, it shouldn't be that stressful.

• Advorsus
    Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033

I play mostly killer these days, and I don't really find it stressful or not fun (I wouldn't continue playing if I did). I agree with some of the above statements though. Certain killers are very addon/perk dependent. If you're playing one of these killers and aren't really using perks and addons that are strong or synergize well together, you're probably going to have a bad match. Add in a really big survivor sided map, and it's probably gonna be a bad match. Once you get used to the right builds though on killers, it becomes a lot easier. I say get used to certain builds, because you might have a good build, but don't know how to play around it's strengths yet, I've had that happen. Would play a match with a build that I thought would be good, ended up getting wrecked. Looked back at what I was or wasn't doing last match, and then changed my playstyle to match my build, then would go on to 4k the next 6 matches because I learned to play into my build. There's a lot of micro And macro play that you have to learn in this game. Gotta learn killers strengths and weaknesses, and what builds play to those strengths.

Also, stop running hex perks except in specific killers/builds! Lol I rarely use hex perks because they're easily destroyed, unreliable, and leave you with only 3 perks of it does get destroyed. I only use hex perks in certain situations, like Huntresses lullaby with overcharge, unnerving, and distressing for an impossible skill check build. Or if I'm running devour hope, then I'm also running bbq and make your choice for a good b expose build. That way even if it does get destroyed, I have strong back up perks. Especially on killers who have trouble protecting their totems, which is most of them, I find them pretty useless. You'll be much better off with more permanent perks.

• TheWind
    TheWind Member Posts: 59
    edited February 2020

I love how the comments are always the same: "I never have that problem because I'm amazing", "you're just bad and need to be better" or "yeah just play this one character with this very specific build and you'll do fine". This guy is saying that the game is suffering from a balance issue that's preventing him from having fun ie the reason ruin got changed. An opinion by the way shared amongst a large enough portion of the community that i can think of an entire sub community that agrees.

I understand how you feel. It will not get better.

Not until survivors complain there are no killers like they did last time there was a pity buff for killers.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,153

Killer is stressful because you're trying to juggle four survivors, and while you're chasing one the other three are probably working on gens rather than standing idly by watching the chase. You're always busy, alone trying to complete your objective, while they get to share the load. The killer is the one feeling a time crunch. It sucks, it really does.

In horror games, the killer is usually stupid OP that way you, the survivor character, is all like "holy [BAD WORD] holy [BAD WORD] I'm gonna die I'm gonna die where do I hide ohmigod." Of course, the replay value is small because the killer is an A.I., so it has a pattern that any player will get used to over time. I think the original idea behind DbD was at least in part to have a version of that with replay value by making the killer a person rather than A.I. Unfortunately, once it becomes a person rather than A.I., this whole idea of "fairness" comes into play. So, killers can't be too strong, survivors can't be too weak, and neither side is ever going to be happy with how things are. I mean, a big part of horror games is stealth, but if survivors are stealthing around the map never getting found, the killer is going to be bored, so stealth can't be that powerful. And it goes on and on, where trying to make each side fun results in unhappiness in the players.

Even if the game were a perfectly balanced 4v1, killer would still be the role with no downtime. Unfortunately, since it's PvP rather than PvE, neither side wants to feel weak, which means many survivors want it to be more of a 1v1 than a 4v1. I mean, it's hard to blame them when part of this game's whole thing is 'help your teammates... or don't.' Buf it everyone plays selfishly rather than as a team, then it being a 4v1 rather than a 1v1 feels unfair. What can I say? Welcome to DbD, the game that doesn't know what it wants to be so everyone suffers.

• tfareyouthinking
    tfareyouthinking Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2020

the game so unbelievably unbalanced. I honestly think a boycott would be nice for the game till it’s actually fixed properly. But that’s my opinion, cry about it if you want. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

The focus lies on the fun of new survivor players because these players bring potentially the most money. BHVR is a company that wants to earn money, it's a business decision.

If the focus is not on balance but on inexperienced players of one side, then of course the game will get harder for one group and super easy for another group. Is playing survivor for a really good 4-men-SWF even still fun?

• Nickeleye
    Nickeleye Member Posts: 278

Maps are the problem. The stress comes from lack of time on a lot of maps. Hard to pressure anything when your walking your ass across 4 football fields.

• Diam
    Diam Member Posts: 50

And yet people complain why there's only 5 different killers in red ranks...

And yet people complain about the same perks being run...

This is why.