The audacity of survivors bringing toolboxes

ProfessorDunwich
ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514
edited February 2020 in General Discussions

It is ridiculous people still bring toolboxes with the absurd speed of gens. Guess you want to be dodged.

Comments

• McLightning
    McLightning Member Posts: 949

There's a perk for that.

• dnj510
    dnj510 Member Posts: 438

Lol! Lobby dodging doesn't exist anymore. On these new servers, I noticed that survivors stay in the queue together even if the killer leaves. That's so exciting!

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

For the first week after ruib change I think some survivors started to bring boxes because theres bo more risk of wasting those on "hard skillchecks".

Obviously the "just to rub it in" concept is very believable too

• Waffleyumboy
    Waffleyumboy Member Posts: 7,318
  • StardustSpeedway
    StardustSpeedway Member Posts: 882
    edited February 2020

I play both roles and even I don't bring tool boxes into matches anymore. I never did that much either previously cuz killers would just lobby dodge. There's no need. Only way I will use them is if I loot them from a chest.

As killer, I haven't lobby dodged once. If I see a squad full of tool boxes I'll just bring Franklin's.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

It is a wasted perk slot.

Logic -> The person you chase, can not use their item anyway, when they are on a hook they can not use it and it is unlikely you are able to pressure all survivors at once.

The only thing it actually helps with anything is instaheals.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835

If I have understood currectly toolboxes are getting nerfed so people are burning their stocks.

Cant wait for the sh*tshow when key and mori nerfs are announced. Probably gonna take a break during that.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,022

Just don't play. If they bring more toolboxes than you're comfortable with, remove addons/offerings, stand in a corner near the gate, and let them M1 their gens. They obviously want to do that more than play a match, give it to them. Even pop the gate for them when all five go off, because you're a generous killer. Reap the salt afterward.

• McLightning

They do, but unlike what survivors can do with NOED, they can't prevent them completely.

• Waffleyumboy

If survivors wasted time cleansing dull totems, noed is doing work

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970

I mostly just use yellow toolboxes anyway

• DocFabron
    DocFabron Member Posts: 2,410

I'm only bringing toolboxes for the occasional Sabo and to get rid of them before they get nerfed.

The issue is, across all my survivors, I have over 300 of them. :(

• geishroy
    geishroy Member Posts: 139

^this, if only people were able to understand that franklins actually does nothing to reduce gen speed

• McLightning

That would be true, if cleansing a totem took longer.

• Waffleyumboy

Every second counts. I wouldn't hate it if they took an extra second each, but it shouldn't be more than a gen imo(gen < 80 sec).

• AngryFluffy
    AngryFluffy Member Posts: 443

People need to chill.

I mean there's a rift challenge to sabo hooks, which requires, guess what, a toolbox.

Also it is not even possible to tell what item is used. Most of the time I only bring a brown toolbox or brown medkit just to bring something. Not everyone uses a bnp or bs. I just don't like that dodging behaviour in general. If you see a group with 4 toolboxes, I kinda can understand. But some dodge even when they see one, which is overreacting imo.

If killers bring a mori, survivors also have to deal with it. If I get camped by a huntress with iri hatchets, i also have to deal with it. Everyone needs to take a breath and chill a bit about this game. The only reason it lost it's fun is because everyone is taking it too serious imo.

• I just bring a mori usually, makes it closer to a fair game usually.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,060

I mean, they paid for it, so....Why not use the Stuff they spent BPs on? Especially since they get nerfed.

• Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,377

Chill it's an Alex's I'm not repairing with it

• Deadeye
    Deadeye Member Posts: 3,627

After your logic part, there comes the part that helps the killer. Which is, the survivor goes on without the item or the survivor wastes time to pick it up again

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

I bring toolboxes for sabo dailies only. Gen speeds were already fast AF at times before the Ruin change. Bringing a toolbox would be like adding fuel to the fire. When you solo queue, and 2-3 gens pop as the Killer is getting their first hook, you know it's about to turn into a nasty game.

Many Killers assume when things like that happen, you are SWF, and they bring all the "toxic" gameplay they can to counter it. So I tend to avoid forcing that situation because there is literally nothing else they can do to counter gens popping left and right. They can only chase 1 person, and I feel that pain. I'll normally just play totem/chest hunter for a bit, help with unhooks/heals, just to back off the pressure and have a better chance of escaping.

• Mikeasaurus
    Mikeasaurus Member Posts: 2,327

One or two Toolboxes is fine with me, but when they all bring 4 purples, along with BNP and a repair speed add-on, I'm bringing my damn Ebony Mori just for them!

• OmegaXII
    OmegaXII Member Posts: 2,191

They're only hurting themselves. As killer, we can get into another game in under 1 min. For them, not so, plus they wasted their whole 10 min queue time if they get dodged

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,333

The problem with Franklins is the only toolbox its countering is the one not being used. The other toolboxes are still gonna pump out gens faster until its their turn to be chased, and things like BNPs are going to get their values worth before you ever start a chase with the person holding it.

Franklins is decent at countering medkits, since often times you can chip enough charges off it of to deny a full heal or cause the person to be unable to use the instaheal it has for the 2nd half of the chase. Its also decent at countering flashlights since those are something that is going to be used midchase, meaning no blinding at pallets after you smack it out of their hand. Against toolboxes and keys though...Franklins doesnt do much.

• grayon444
    grayon444 Member Posts: 757

The audacity of killers who bring moris and insta downs.

It is ridiculous.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,522
  • LordGlint
    edited February 2020

Unfortunately, killers cant tell if its a brown toolbox in your hand for a daily to sabo a hook, or if theyre walking into this...

So their more likely to prepare for a worse case scenario

@shalo I think I have yours beat, lol

• Mringasa

Gen speed is too slow! Nerf all slowdown Perks and their synergies!

Holy #########... and they wonder why Killers bring Moris, Franklin's, and play "toxic". Good job getting two of them.

• LordGlint

This was the loadout I was using back in November. Resulted in fast games due to no slowdown perks, but they were interesting for me anyways since I got to play rather aggressive with infectious fright and monitor. Was just rough, expecially with the Haddonfield offering.

As far as genspeed perks/addons go... I do find it odd that they choose to address "Forever Freddy" because he could slowdown gens after using his entire perk and addon setup and building up stacks... when survivors can bring a stacked toolbox to speed them up by the same amount and it be at that strength at the very beginning of the trial. Personally, this is my Freddy setup of choice...

so not much action speed slowdown going on here, but yeah...it was the addons and the addons alone that were a "problem"

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited February 2020

NOED can be countered before it even shows up in a match. Even with Franklin's Demise you cant stop them before they get to use a toolbox. There is zero detriment to bringing a toolbox where as NOED can be a wasted perk slot.

MORIs at least stop you from pipping(as if that matters with this MM) Toolboxes help you pip while making your objective easier.

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

Please, killers dodge if they don't like certain cosmetics. I personally don't bring toolboxes but I don't blame people who do, considering the point of the game is to complete gens and escape, and you know, they exist in the game.

• LordGlint

Just because something exists, doesnt mean it should be used often.

I personally try not to waste my BPs on moris, but still end up building up quite the collection of ones I'm forced to buy because the entity wont eat them. The amount of moris that go unused in general is actually pretty staggering, because they generally are just an unfair boost with no real downside. A stacked up toolbox pumping your repair speed up an additional 40%, plus a BNP with it is similarly...an unfair boost with no real downside. I place things like this in the same lot as things that are used by people who are after an unfair advantage rather than a fun game.

• Elvenmonk
    Elvenmonk Member Posts: 367

They are not tbagging?

To op, isn't there a rift involving tool boxes right now?

• meatisadelicacy
    meatisadelicacy Member Posts: 1,920

I cannot tell you the last time I saw someone use a BNP. And so many moris go unused because they're so god damn common. I get more ebony moris than I get certain green and purple add ons and items combined on the survivor side of things. And I just had a game where a killer tunneled and mori'd someone out of the game in about 60 seconds. No one brought a toolbox.

And there's always Franklin's, or any of the other dozen or so perks that slow down gens.

• AngryFluffy
    AngryFluffy Member Posts: 443
    edited February 2020

I know but the same thing applies as survivor. I don't know if the killer brings an eboni, I don't know if he's gonna facecamp or tunnel me to death in the first 2 minutes of the game.

But that's why I said "everyone" needs to chill. But it will never work because it's a doom loop. If only the killer chills, they'll get genrushed and if only the survivors chill, they'll get kill rushed. Everyone's expecting the worst and that's why this game reached this point where it is now.

I just had to think about the vanilla experiment I participated, where everyone had to play without items, perks, offerings and add-ons. These matches were the most fun I've ever had in a long time as solo. Each match was about 10 - 15 minutes and they were pretty balanced in my opinion. If I'd could make a change to the game, I'd probably remove all items and "op" add ons of the game entirely. Or taking items to the next match in general. There are chests, take what you find in game, rework keys and moris and the game could be more fun for everyone imo. The only problem is that perks bring variety to the game, playing without perks all the time might be boring. But maybe just nerf all strong perks in general. Idk, hard to say, but I think the game has too much strong perks, items, add ons and offerings and would be better without them tbh.

• Aura_babyy
    Aura_babyy Member Posts: 583

If you're familiar with gen rushing you know the go to is Commodius with the speed addons not BNPs lol

Franklins gets it's value almost every match you use it if you spot a full team running Items.

• LordGlint

As far as Franklins goes...I already explained earlier in this post why they're ineffective for countering toolboxes. I'll just copy and paste that real quick...

The problem with Franklins is the only toolbox its countering is the one not being used. The other toolboxes are still gonna pump out gens faster until its their turn to be chased, and things like BNPs are going to get their values worth before you ever start a chase with the person holding it.

Franklins is decent at countering medkits, since often times you can chip enough charges off it of to deny a full heal or cause the person to be unable to use the instaheal it has for the 2nd half of the chase. Its also decent at countering flashlights since those are something that is going to be used midchase, meaning no blinding at pallets after you smack it out of their hand. Against toolboxes and keys though...Franklins doesnt do much.

As far as rarity of toolboxes goes, its pretty hard to gauge that since they can be used for multiple trials and even found in chests IN the trial. If you can use the same toolbox for 5 trials, can you really compare that rarity against killer addons that are for 1 time uses? As far as slowdown perks go...generally a killer has to work toward building those up throughout the trial, as opposed to the instant boost gained from a toolbox. If you wanted to have a similar comparison to most killer slowdown perks, you could look towards the perk autodidact in that you have to work towards a powerful affect that you dont just get access to. The speed boost from autodidact can then be very similar in nature to the slowdown of something like dying light.

• LordGlint

Depends on the addon your replacing the BNP for. A clean rag for example gives the toolbox a boost of 5% over it's 180 charges. This means that if you manage to use up every bit of that toolbox, the rag alone will be responsible in saving...9 seconds. In this case, the instant 20 seconds saved from a BNP would be greater. A commodious with socket swivels and a BNP can allow a single person to pump out a gen in roughly 40 seconds without any perk adding to that. That quick burst from the BNP could be the difference between finishing a first gen alone before the killer can cross the map to stop you and it being just MOSTLY done and kicked later with a Pop. Can't Pop a gen if its already finished...

• FrankSRfromIT
    FrankSRfromIT Member Posts: 59

Dodged my very first lobby night because of this. I was all excited to sit down and have a fun game, load up and there is a group of four survivors all with toolboxes. Yeah, no thank you. I already struggle as it is(I am not very good), no way I am wasting 5-10 minutes of my night against survivors who are probably already 8 ranks in front of me as it is thanks to MM and lack of killers. Left lobby, and had new game in less than 30 seconds.

I have done multiple games against 3 tb, (not fun, but I tried) but 4 is my breaking point, with the current gen speeds zero chance I will ever play against 4.

• iBetClaudette
    iBetClaudette Member Posts: 299

Not sure about the 10 minutes thing. As a survivor main my wait is usually a couple of minutes even if a killer runs away and dodges.

• AvisDeene
    AvisDeene Member Posts: 2,396
  • altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141

Rift challenge - “Repair 10 generators.”

tHe AuDaCiTy!!!

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

I mean y'all are bringing this on y'all's self. Mori's imo are fair at this point in the game. NOED is a legit punishment for gen rushing so 🤷‍♂️

• Mringasa

I see BNPs pretty often in lower Ranks right now. I'm assuming because people get them in a web, then instantly use them. More common are Green/Yellow boxes with speed + efficiency add-ons, and occasionally someone running Streetwise (I think this might be an SWF thing perhaps).

Kinda nice though because they focus down gens so much they don't see Devour Hope coming up on them. Getting a 4k, with 3 Moris, and the lobby included 2 Toolboxes + BNP + nice flashlight feelsgoodman.