Why do I get called a camper killer?

Options

What, am I supposed to just go to the polar opposite of the map just so you stand a chance? I'm not even in high ranks and I get called that.

I don't even stand, I go around the area to look for survivors coming to unhook so I do move around just not that far.

What is a killer supposed to go mindlessly go on a hunt?

Comments

• DeathBeam
    DeathBeam Member Posts: 259
    Options

It doesn't matter, many survivors will make any excuse or lash out if they dislike the match, dc, and/or die. Just ignore the chat.

• OrangeJack
    OrangeJack Member Posts: 464
    Options

They just salty, let them rant on then just say gg and leave.

• EmpireWinner
    EmpireWinner Member Posts: 1,054
    Options

Why care what others think?

Play the game how u want and move on

Turn off the chat if it bothers you that much

• McLightning
    McLightning Member Posts: 949
    Options

First of all, you get called a camper because when you loaded up DBD, you chose "Killer" from the main menu.

Secondly, stop caring what other people think. Turn off end game chat and go to town.

• Fengsdaddy
    Fengsdaddy Member Posts: 3
    Options

When folks call you a camper you're welcome to respond yes, you died get gud and i love you. People really don't like that. I'll only camp baggin Megs (ugliest survivor). Love you all

• magrag156
    magrag156 Member Posts: 20
    Options

Honestly this isnt hook camping. Hook camping is when you dont leave the hook. For example I had one guy just stand infront of me hitting me, that is just down right dirty. Say what you want but that takes the fun out of the game for both of the players.

• korean_zombie
    korean_zombie Member Posts: 442
    Options

Survivor's complain a lot. I personally don't mind a salty end game chat.

• McLightning
    Options

None of the posts are incorrect though. Survivors, you'll find, will call anything camping.

• FogLurker
    FogLurker Member Posts: 337
    Options

We should just permanently have a "Why am I a Camper/Tunneler?" post stickied in the forums, that way all relevant posts can go in there instead of having new ones come up everyday with the same answers given over n over in each one.

• McLightning
    Options

Dodging doesn't mean what you think it means. It can't be a dodge if I specifically counter your point.

But okay.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

So you wonder you get called "camper" when you camp? Very surprising!

(Play however you want, but when you camp, you might get called out for that)

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763
    Options

Did you spawn in the same map with them? Then you're a camper unless you play by survivor rules (i.e. look stupid while they dance around you). Proudly tell them you'll pitch your tent all day and they shut up real fast because they're trying to shame you. Wolves don't care for the opinions of sheep.

• Karl_Childers
    Karl_Childers Member Posts: 669
    edited February 2020
    Options

Yeah, I think so too. And that was about all I had left in the tank lol. Still expecting that question to not be answered. Like if people just said “keep on camping man who cares if they complain”...even though I don’t agree with the playstyle at least the posts would be relevant.

• VaJaybles
    VaJaybles Member Posts: 658
    Options

Baby survivors are quick to call anything camping.

There are 3 types of camping

Proxy camping- killers bbq didn't show everyone, so now they think someone's near and want to check every corner. Usually they leave

Camping- this is usually about 15 ft away perhaps insidious, but they are waiting to grab the savior

Facecamping- you've hurt the killers feelings and he wants to cry on your shoulder til death do we part

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632
    Options

This is a good example. You play well, and survivors will find any reason to call you things like a camper/tunneler.

The game where it's expect for you to lose your first few gens and play the game around 3 gens, but if you patrol the nearest 3 gens your a "proxy camper".

Survivors just making up any excuse to not look at them-self, and get better at the game.

• doodledot
    doodledot Member Posts: 70
    Options

Well, if your a camper, your a camper. Your fault that people get salty, camping is frustrating. It sounds like your no doing it too hard but I be happy knowing the killer is not looking for people doing gens.

• McLightning
    edited February 2020
    Options

I didn't say it didn't matter. What I said was, it didn't make any of the original statements untrue, and gave reasoning.

Post edited by drimmalor on
  • Karl_Childers
    edited February 2020
    Options

Yep! Very true. It’s basically a way of avoiding the other persons point I guess.

although to be honest, I did feel the need to go grab a beer after this lol.

• McLightning
    Options
  • draconic
    draconic Member Posts: 9
    Options

I mean you are camping. I play both survivor and killer. When I play killer I hook someone I check the immediate area for anyone waiting to unhook him, then I go check gens to see if I can get another survivor. Camping sucks, loses you gens (If you camp most survivors will just sacrifice the player to complete gens than you only get one kill with three escapes), and is unfun for both killer and survivor imo. The point of the game is to chase and kill survivors. They are allowed three unhooks before death for a reason. I have played against good killers. They dont camp. I escape about 50% of my matches as survivor. For multiple reasons, but the #1 reason is because the bad killers camp hooks. We do gens, and escape. The ones I lose is when I usually end up being the one camped on a hook, or when we get a good killer who actually knows how to play well, and put pressure on the survivors.

If you dont want to be called out for camping then you need to start patrolling gens, or chasing survivors when you hook someone. With the new map rework where it's mostly small maps you shouldn't be needing to camp hooks anyway.

• ALostPuppy
    ALostPuppy Member Posts: 3,398
    edited February 2020
    Options

You're literally camping so don't get surprised when survivors call it out. If you want to patrol the hook area and not leave the hook that's your call, if you enjoy that playstyle go ahead. But it's one survivors definitely don't enjoy and they'll call it out at the end of the match because it's not fun to go against a patrol heavy killer. Just turn the endgame chat off if you don't want to see what they have to say, because ultimately it's up to you if you wanna play like that.

• The_Meh_Teh
    The_Meh_Teh Member Posts: 136
    Options

Most kids dont know what camping means and they throw it around every game. They think you chasing them is tunneling.

• TrappinMan
    TrappinMan Member Posts: 66
    Options

They think continually charging you and getting downed is tunneling. Usually I presume the first time to be rampant stupidity and just slug them. The second time though, they are too dumb to live.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

First of all, if you want to play that way, fine. Just be ready to take heat for it.

Second - If you are staying in radius of the hook looking to block incoming survivors, that is camping. Refer to what I said above. If you intend to do it that way, just own it and don't argue.

Third - Good survivors will own you with that strategy. They will do gens, grab the hooked guy with Borrowed Time, MoM, Adrenaline, etc and you will find yourself whining on these boards about how unfair the game is for killers. There are many here already doing it.

Fourth - If you are fine with understanding there is a limit to how far you can go with this play style, and you are fine ignoring the frustrated players, then continue with what you are doing. It is not against the rules. There are actually times where camping is the best action. For instance, the door is open, you have a hooked survivor and are trying to secure that kill. You need to stay near the hook.

Fifth - If you want to have more fun, and experience the game in a larger way, start using the hooked survivor as a way to pressure the map. In order to free that survivor, 1 other has to come get them. That is 2 not on gens. Find a third and try to down them, that is three not on gens. Rinse, repeat.

Toy around with strategies. Learn what works best for you, the killer you are using, and most of all - have fun.

I will leave you with this thought. Not all the players out there are toxic azzhats. Some are decent people just wanting to blow off steam after work/school. When they get camped to death, that is not fun, and they get frustrated. Keep that in mind. Sitting on the hook watching the killer circle around you is less fun than watching paint dry. If they get upset, it is understandable. But there should not be any threats, or vulgarity/racial remarks.

Good luck.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

Your explanation of proxy camping is off. Proxy camping typically has zero to do with BBQ. If there are no auras, they could be on the other side of the map behind a gen, or in a locker. If you are wasting time looking around the hook, you are giving up valuable map pressure. Your fault if you lose gens at that point.

Proxy campers typically have an insecurity about leaving the hook. They will look at local gens/hex totems, but won't go too far. When the unhook occurs, or they see a survivor, they will engage that that point. Most proxy campers are doing it as a strat, not due to no auras on BBQ. If that is your reason, you have a very flawed strategy. I never let no auras keep me in the area of the hook. I'd rather let them off the hook and chase them off gens than sit here hoping they were not in a locker or behind a gen. Then BAM! 2 Gens pop on the other side of the map and they still get this guy off the hook in stage 1. Total waste of time.

• drimmalor
    drimmalor Member Posts: 909
    Options

Please remember to keep comments civil. Comments should contribute to discussion and not be directed at other users.

• Karl_Childers
    Options

This. When it comes to someone who’s strategy is to linger around the hook and proxy camp, the no aura from BBQ thing means nothing. Their strategy is literally to just patrol around the hook and bait a rescue attempt. Doesn’t matter if all the auras show, they’ll still patrol and wait. Then probably come on here and complain and about DS and BT being OP (yes I know DS can sometimes burn non tunneling killers, but I view it as a necessary evil as it helps far more than it hurts)

• wolfkin
    wolfkin Member Posts: 2
    Options

You should play how you want but if your not constantly hunting multiple players or using your perks to make it where working together or altruistic acts work in your favor then you should be more aggressive but make it fun for both sides winning isn't everything nor are kills I am a killer main and I use mobility as a way to counter hook checking though I hook them twice each and then go down them all as a way to give them a chance at winning and having fun on both ends even if theres one gen left the game is like a story on both ends so bothsides so should have fun.

• VaJaybles
    VaJaybles Member Posts: 658
    edited February 2020
    Options

I said they check every corner, didn't want to write an essay about every little thing the killer does while proxy camping. You just further expanded on it.

Also I rarely play killer so my "strategy" is survivor sided doing the 2 gens you previously mentioned and getting the guy off hook

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

Well you are indeed camping the hook waiting for someone to save the guy.

If you like that playstyle go for it but you wont get much done once you start facing survivors who ignore campers and go straight for gens or brackets where most people use BT and DS, expect very fast games with 1 kill per match and a LOT of teabagging at the doors.

• DreamWarrior666
    DreamWarrior666 Member Posts: 2
    Options

You're stratagy of not straying far from the hook is stupid and a waste of time. But by all means keep doing it and I'll keep on the gens while u CAMP

• InnCognito
    InnCognito Member Posts: 720
    Options

The objective of the killer isn't to always protect the hooked survivor. It is about chasing down other players objectively. The more a killer camps. the less likely they will win matches and rank up.

Eventually a person will reach the groups of players that realize their friend is on the hook and will NOT rescue them. They will power through all of the generators and come with with Borrowed time, Mettle of Man and BODY block that survivor on their way out of the gate. Thus, not giving you a single downed survivor.

If a person has to patrol a hook. They are doing something wrong.

• DrownedFish
    DrownedFish Member Posts: 107
    Options

Today i group called me sh1t camper after i 3 hooked every one of them and leaving the hook every time. I guess using your traps as trapper is something i should.be ashamed. Sorry.

• Accullla
    Accullla Member Posts: 984
    Options

@Karl_Childers and @Warlock121 hit the nail on the head with the logic they provided. I'll just add a bit that they didn't cover off. Whether it's worth proxy camping or not depends on the positioning of all objectives on the map.

For example, you are down to 1 gen left and hook someone near the 3 remaining active gens. Even if you know that there are two survivors on the opposite side of the map there is absolutely no reason to go there, as whilst you're looking/chasing them the hooked survivor and the rescuer can immediately hop on the last gen and finish it. In this scenario a proxy camp is the best thing the killer can do, as they are defending all of their objectives at once.

On the other hand, if the objectives are away from the hook, then the best thing to do is to leave the hook area as soon as possible even if you know there is someone who could immediately go for the save.

In short, be aware of the map and where your objectives are. If you're playing to win don't just camp or leave the hook area for the sake of doing so