Has anyone watched the DeathNote Netflix movie? And does it fit dbd?

Options
AshleyWB
AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061

Just started watching it and it just feels like something different which could be exciting if it was a licence dbd went for.

Ryuk played by Willem Dafoe is a death god or something and he appears to the person who has been given the book. Seems like they could do something obsession based with this idea.

I'm going back to watch the rest of the movie.

What do you think about DeathNote (Netflix movie) as a possible chapter?

Comments

• McLightning
    McLightning Member Posts: 949
    Options

That movie was an abomination.

The ONLY good part was they cast the voice of Ryuk PERFECTLY. Everything else was a horses ass.

• AshleyWB
    Options

@McLightning I can see what you mean yeesh.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,251
    Options

The movie was embarrassingly bad.

I personally don't think it would fit with DBD.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,037
    Options

I avoided the movie. Almost every live adaptation of a manga or anime turns out horrendously bad.

Sadly the theme of death note would never fit DBD despite it being really cool.

• Starr43
    Starr43 Member Posts: 872
    Options

All Shinigami have their own personalities, much like humans. It’s not impossible that a Shinigami would cause physical hard for it’s own reasons.

Ryuk likes apples but that may not apply to another Shinigami. Rem and Gelus clearly show empathy which is extremely uncharacteristic of a Shinigami..

Also I have a hard time talking about the Netflix version.. The 2006 live action Japanese movie with Tatsuya Fujiwara is miles above what Netflix pumped out.

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,667
    Options

Nope. I'm a deathnote fan and it doesn't fit at all with DBD.

• NullEXE
    NullEXE Member Posts: 1,632
    Options

Definitely watch the 2006 Japanese version. Much better than the american version.

• AshleyWB
    Options

The movie doesn't give the character justice imo. Why did our Willem Dafoe agree to this trash? I don't know if the movie just did a really bad job getting across the lore or there was no lore which could fit remotely with dbd in the first place.

All I know is that the Movie was a massive let down. I heard it got a sequel approved so I had high expectations.

• Mellow7
    Mellow7 Member Posts: 793
    Options

He actually does kill people he's a shimigami it's his job to take souls from earth if it's their time.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,545
    Options

According to the lore, shinigamis killed so many people that they pretty muc don't need to do that anymore. So they literally chill all day.

Ryuk specially. He bored.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Who's a better "best casting choice in bad movie?"

Willem Dafoe as Ryuk or John Goodman as Fred Flinstone?

• McLightning
    McLightning Member Posts: 949
    Options

OOF.

That's a tough one. Hard to choose. I think Death Note edges out the Flintstones just based on the fact that they cast Rosie O'Donnel as Betty...but then again, Rick Moranis as Barney was great as well..well #########...

I don't like these difficult questions...

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

A DbD movie would be interesting. Even a collection, sort of like the old Creep Show movies. Do 3-4 30 minute to 45 minute shorts and put them together as a movie. Have the Entity be the tying force. Then do another with more killers/survivors. Could not use the licensed killers, but they have plenty of originals.

Trapper

Spirit

Nurse

Wraith

Part II -

Billy

Oni

Huntress

Clown

• unlit
    unlit Member Posts: 7
    Options

What kind of question is that oh ######### you watch the boring deathnote the cartoon one better explains it better his a shinigami of death and there rule using his deathnote and his to overpower

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666
    Options

As someone who watched death note when I was 10 years old, I feel personally attacked by this movie, I hope it never makes to DBD in any way shape or form

• unlit
    unlit Member Posts: 7
    Options

Wait until he sees the number of time you have left on top of your head and your name to write in on your book so you died but the shinigami king doesnt allow that and if the shinigami breaks the rule he would die just watch the cartoon is ######### awesome so much better then the movie and you would understand

• HellCatJane
    HellCatJane Member Posts: 698
    Options

Firstly, the anime was way better and I consider that to be the only true deathnote that exists... The movie that "stole" the name wasn't anything special, and I definitely didn't get a "scary" factor from it at all. Sure shinigami aka the monsters look a certain way but they still weren't scary. I kind of consider them more "trickster" types anyways. Plus, I don't see at all how they could fit into this game. I mean they literally write your name down and boom you are perma-dead (poke a stick at it type dead).

I'd rather see an original idea instead.

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744
    Options