The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Can we please remove Keys from chests?

2»

Comments

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

If the devs are to be believed, we're gonna nerf toolboxes, so... :P

• DurkaDurka
    DurkaDurka Member Posts: 29

Or make it so that keys can only spawn if there are zero or 1-2 generators left. And yes, keys really ought to have an animation for a few seconds when opening the hatch.

• TheDiz
    TheDiz Member Posts: 243

I've had 3 games in a row that all survivors got completely slaughtered by a billy and Meyers because I'm a solo survivor and all were rank 6-8 and killers were 13 and 14? SWF has such an advantage on solo so let the poor solo get a key

• XximpostorxX
    XximpostorxX Member Posts: 20

It's almost like everyone complaining here reads the description of the game as a symmetrical horror game instead of an asymmetrical horror game.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,998

I agree, getting keys in the middle of the match, especially w/o Plunderers, completely throws the round off balance, but take the green ones away too while you're at it.

• Might_Oakk
    Might_Oakk Member Posts: 1,243

I agree 100%. If someone brings a key I can see it in the lobby and play around it with things like Franklins and slugging the keyholder.

Giving survivors free escapes based on RNG is not how you build a serious game.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2020

The kiler can get free moris without offering one, you can bring Devour Hope to get them after 5 unhooks, yes I know the totem can be cleansed and requires 5 hooks but keys are a 7% chance without Plunderers or 14% with it and require a number of generators to be used.

P.D. those percentages also include the green key which cant be used to open the hatch so the chances for an usable key are a bit lower.

• TAG

You can counterplay Devour Hope very simply by just breaking the Totem. There is nothing you can do to stop Keys outside of just winning the game. Definitely not a good comparison.

• HellDescent
    HellDescent Member Posts: 4,883

When I run plunder's I find 1 every game on average

• HectorBrando

You can equip Franklins, tunnel the key holder or killing them before the hatch spawns and they locate them.

You need 5 gens to get the hatch with 4 survivors and 4 gens with 3, you have ample time to get rid of them and sticking to the theme of the post (we are not discussing keys overall, just the act of finding them in chests), you need to find a key in a chest to get all of that which is a very low chance even with Plunderers.

Is a good comparison, both Devour and keys in chests have some counterplay, both can be devastating to the other side if left unatended, both have time consuming requirements and both are rare ocasions.

• TAG

1)That doesn't get rid of the Key.

2)Furthermore, the Key holder can just hide the Key somewhere for later.

3) Equipping Franklin's to pre-emptively have something (something not even good) to deal with the RNG-esque scenario of someone finding a Key in a chest doesn't make sense. What if the team didn't bring anything that makes you want to use Franklin's?

4) You don't need to equip anything to deal with Devour. Small Game or Detective's Hunch is helpful, but not necessary.

Franklin's is not a good counterplay to Keys, and this is not a good comparison.

• Marcavecunc
    Marcavecunc Member Posts: 2,057

I have a suggestion about keys found in chests..

They'll always be broken keys, but upon escaping through the gate (or already opened hatch) with a broken key (or any key), it upgrades the key to the next rarity level. So escape with a green broken key, you now have a purple one to bring with you in your next game, if you desire. Escape with the purple one, it's now a pink one for your next game.

But basically, if you find a key it's only usable next game and you have to bring it.

(just a suggestion to go with the topic, I personally have no problems with keys, just with the face they auto open the hatch with a single click, as was mentioned in the first comments)

• HectorBrando

Ok, I accept your arguments against Franklins but even without it, you can tunnel the key holder and get rid of him, if they found in a chest and they are not in a SWF the rest of the survivors will be clueless about it and you dont need to equip anything to tunnel someone out of the game.

The comparison still stands, both situations are extremely strong, can be dealt by the oposing side if detected in time and both have time consuming requirements to reach full potential.

• TAG

You do need to tunnel someone out of the game, though, which means you are:

1) Playing into DS if they have it

2) Potentially playing into Borrowed Time if someone else has it

3) Not really pressuring Gens

It also hinges on you actually REALIZING that someone found a Key in the chest, which is not an easy thing to do at all because Keys are tiny, hard to see, and not really something you are actively looking at if you didn't see a Key in the pre-game lobby.

And EVEN with all that, there is still the possibility that another Survivor took note of the Key (this is assuming no SWF; in SWF, they will almost definitely know about the Key the moment it is found) and will keep it in mind in the event the Survivor with it is tunneled. There is still also the scenario where the Survivor chooses NOT to take the Key from the chest OR takes the Key and hides it to better ensure that the Killer doesn't know they have it.

With all that in mind, a Survivor who finds a Key in a chest does not have to play the game any different than normal compared to a Devour Hope user who now has to both actively stay away from Hooked Survivors and play Totem defense once Survivors are aware of its existence to maintain it. For a Key, the game length is just shorter for them (either slightly shorter if no one dies and they only need to skip opening the Gates, almost 20% shorter if someone dies, or almost 40% shorter if two people die). For a Killer with DH, they are now juggling the extra aforementioned tasks to try and gain the benefit of DH that you are referring to (the Moris).

• HectorBrando

A trade off for DH being always there while finding a key being a 14% chance with Plunderers, the effects (an easier win) are the same even if the roads are different.

What caused this argument was the estatement "Unless killers can do with moris what survivors can do with keys in chests they should be removed", which they can, if its harder or easier or has more or less counterplay is up for each one to decide, I believe DH has a bigger chance of granting free moris than survivors have a chance of getting a key in a chest and use it to full potential (3 or 4 escapes) but I also admit is easier to counterplay DH than a key found in a chest.

• Marcavecunc

And to get a mori you need to get 5 hooks first. (and for them not to rush to unhook in your face)

Keys can be found 10 seconds into the game.

Honestly they're different mechanics, why would changing one absolutely require changing the other?

• flufflypillow
    flufflypillow Member Posts: 19

Yeah, but that’s you. I’m rank 1 one ps4 and it doesn’t take 20 minutes for me. That really isn’t proof if it’s just you.

• TAG
    edited February 2020

DH the perk is technically always there. DH the Totem? Absolutely not. Furthermore, whether DH the Totem is/can be dealt with is far more in the hands of the opponent than whether the chest Key is/can be dealt with. The road being different matters a ton in this particular comparison IMO.

I personally think your belief that DH is easier to counterplay contradicts your belief that DH Moris is more likely to happen, which I think presents a big issue with your comparison. If it is easier to stop it, then what makes it more likely to happen than the other thing?

• Marcavecunc

It's easier to stop, but people don't bother doing bones 'cause they have to genrush! Doing bones is a waste of time, didn't you know?!

• HectorBrando

Its more likely to happen because the odds are higher, you always have a shot at 5 stacks of DH but for keys without plunderer (a ~3% chance, 7% to find a key but it mustnt be a green one) you would need to play 30 games to find one and on top of that in that specific game you still need to fix 5 gens to get a 4 men escape, you have a 3% chance of attempting to use the hatch. 4 or 3 people escaping after finding a key in a chest outside of a SWF is very very rare, as a Killer ive seen it only 2 times, as a survivor only once.

You always have a 100% chance of attempting 5 stacks of DH, Im sure you can get those stacks more than once in 30 games.

And to use that key you need to fix a number of gen firsts, the hatch doesnt spawn if you dont fix one gen more than number of survivors alive, to get a 4 men escape you need 5 gens first, its not finding it and escaping right off the bat and then again, you have a very low chance of finding a key in the first instance.

• Marcavecunc

True. You can find a key right away but might not get the chance to use it at all if you either die first, or can't find the hatch spawn.

• fluffymareep
    fluffymareep Member Posts: 634

Mori is an offering, so of course you can't "find" it during match. They aren't 1 to 1 comparisons, despite both being equally annoying and changing the spawn wouldn't be a meaningful change, either. Keys/hatch should just be reworked.

• TAG

Saying you have a guaranteed shot of getting to 5 stacks is like saying you have a guaranteed shot of finding a Key in a chest. It doesn't necessarily translate to a higher or lower chance of it happening.

The important thing in my eyes is that with Key, the only thing involved in finding one is RNG. No additional skill input on the Survivor necessary (LESS, in fact, if you aren't specifically aiming for a 4-man Hatch escape), no additional meaningful ways for the Killer to fight against it, no real changes in gameplay/tactics on the Survivor's part both before and after acquiring the Key. Meanwhile, for Devour Hope, there is:

-RNG in hoping the Totem isn't out in the open

-The Killer having to play with an extra caveat to reach that point (stay away from Hooked Survivors

-The Killer having to keep in mind how their opponents are playing to make sure they don't either start hunting for the totem OR end up seeing it by coincidence as a result of moving from one gen to another or a result of being chased in the direction of the Totem. This increases exponentially once Survivors are actually NOTIFIED of the existence of Devour Hope.

Both the Skill level of the Killer and the Survivor are pressured/tested when trying to play with or against Devour Hope. Meanwhile, the aspect of the Survivor being tested when finding a Key is "Can you win the game when the threshold of success is randomly changed in your favor" while the aspect for Killer is "Can you win the game when the threshold of success is randomly changed against your favor and potentially without you even being aware." It's simply not a fair comparison.

• Snow_Lep
    Snow_Lep Member Posts: 305

Okay. Bad example. Are we gonna remove medkits to make healing take longer?

Fixed it :)

• TAG

Didn't they buff medkits? Are you saying we should buff Keys? :P

• Prex91
    Prex91 Member Posts: 764

Keys in chests are maybe ok only when they nerf keys. Insta escape for more then one people is ridicolous and unacceptable. Also mori is obviously not good at all now. A valid game is balance, nerf all this game breaking easy win unfun stuff please, fun only for who isnt good at gaming and play toxic with no skill.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442

Lol yea if you think it that way, you start to think: "why im one vs 4 and them can obtain ultra rares from chests, that aren't really so rare to get, while im just here by myself and i can't get any favor from the entity?"

Noticing that, it would be cool that killers could get something from someone or anything similar to a chest in all maps.

• YourFather
    YourFather Member Posts: 89
    edited February 2020

Out of all posts that deserve more attention, this one gets the most?

Are you serious?

Just like many said before if u dont like items use franklins demise.

Franklins is never a waste as long there are chests.

End of the discussion.

Note:

This game is age restricted.

• Snow_Lep

Yes. Exactly what I'm saying. Keys will now be buffed to allow you to spawn a single-use hatch upon pressing the secondary action. With a pink addon to allow for that hatch to stay open for 30 seconds without allowing the killer to close it.

It's genius I tell ya.

• TAG

You might just be the person who will singlehandedly save this game.

• Snow_Lep

I do have one question. Should that key work when so many gens are done, or just be whevener the survivor feels like using it?

• TAG

As the lobby is in its last five seconds, a Hatch appears, and the person with the Key can open it to let everyone escape before the game starts.

• bendermac
    bendermac Member Posts: 772

Why is there no reply from the devs on this subject? Don't ignore the significants of this subject

Keys need to be removed from chests!

@Peanits

• Haku
    Haku Member Posts: 614

Cause Mori-s are first on the list - you can @ at any dev with that. They both need to be changed together. Also waiting for the insta hatches nerf for some time now.

What I see as possible to change for me is making keys to just work for one person for rare, 2 for ultra rare, 4 only if the gates are opened. Aslo there can be some limitation for the 2 ppl key - for example you have to do at least 4 gens to use it with 2 or even all 5. While the one person key should take atleast 3 gens. For reducing the amount of keys just make is so if you use a key and escape with hatch you cannot save it with any addons anymore. For countering the key user make it so noone else can pick a key but the person who brings it/will disapear if you die/ unless you find it in a chest, BUT now the addon who protects it if killed will work even vs Franklin's. As a solo player I'd be fine with all these changes.

The suggestion for the hatch to take some time top open is not really that good. If its gonna take time to open it it should thake the exact same time to close it for killers. The same way killers are against survivors jumping in their faces in the hatch it is EXACTLY the same when a killer close the hatch in the surviviors faces instantly.

• TTVfbYTigTW
    TTVfbYTigTW Member Posts: 85
    edited February 2020

How about: Keys and their useless add ons, and all Moris get thrown into the trash bin. Then - hit delete.

Or: survivors alerted in pre-game lobby when killer has equipped a mori. Survivors in turn bring keys. Hatch spawns at start of the match.

There are an endless number of ways keys/moris could be better in this game (i.e., deincentivized)

• bendermac
    bendermac Member Posts: 772

Why do the devs ignore this subject? Something needs to be done with keys in chests!

@PatBrutal @Peanits @Almo @not_Queen

• 6yXJI0
    6yXJI0 Member Posts: 589
    edited March 2020

I had a game with camping Ebony Mori pig. She was tunneling unhooked survivors hard and without mercy. Never went for the one who unhooked.

It felt so good, when me and Dwight escaped via the hatch (Plunderer's Key). She then started bitching, how OP and Unfair keys are. "Breaking game balance".

I must confess. I tbagged her like a crazy parrot, before i jumped into the hatch, and im proud of it. (I don't usually do this)

• Alexandra
    Alexandra Member Posts: 97

Ive used plunderers quite a bit to finish the challenge open hatch. I rarely ever got a key. Maybe one in 5 or 6 games and it wasn't always possible to use them anyways. Its so extremely rare that someone gets a key from a box and makes an escape that I don´t think they need any nerf so far. Once in a while we can accept this. Is this happening to you every other game or? Play 50 games and see how many of them a survivor finds a key and escapes. Im sure its very rare.