Chapter Concept: In the Darkness (Killer & Survivor)

Options
JakeMyers
JakeMyers Member Posts: 5
edited February 2020 in Creations

Hello! I'm Jake, referred to as such by my online friends for my exclusive love of the solitary survivor. I am a studying game designer and have decided to take a crack at designing a killer and survivor of my own creation. I have posted my fun project of Jake-turned killer on these forums back in December. After taking some time to design and balance my new killer idea, I have decided to finally post it here for everyone to enjoy! I hope you like my chapter concept!

In the Darkness

Killer Concept: The Figure

There are times at any point in someone's life that they face the unknown. When sitting up at night in their bed, walking home late at night, or even staying at the office to finish the evening out. Occasionally, one mistakes the sight of another just out of sight. Just out of vision. A figure out of the corner of their eye. Focusing on it shows it only to be darkness. A jacket hanging on a hook. A blanket draped over a chair. Nothing to be afraid of, an easy explanation for that formless shape resembling a person. But then... How do you explain away those eyes peering back at you from the darkness?

Stats:

Speed: 4.0 m/s

Vault Speed: 2 seconds

Terror Radius: 40 meters

Height: Tall

Model: A tall, darkened silhouette with all of the majors features obscured by shadowy mist. Only bright, white eyes can be seen clearly along with sleek, dark claws.

Difficulty: Hard

Map: Memory Lane

• This map is composed of three parts: An abandoned office building, a street outside, and an estate you cannot get inside of.
  • Each part features two key spots for the Figure that can be mistaken for his shape at a glance.
  • This map tells the story of the survivor who got ambushed on their way home. Never making it back.

Weapon: Shadowy claws

Hook Design: A lampost, shattered light fixture and a trunk with several dents.

Animations:

• Vaulting: Spreads his arms wide, walks through the window like mist.
  • Pallet Break: Kicks the pallet once before angrily punching it to break it.
  • Walking: A wake of shadowy mist follows him. His exact movements hard to determine.
  • Chasing: Beneath his eyes, a wide grin appears. His claws forming out of the darkness.

Memento Mori: The Figure claws his victim like a wild animal before dispersing into mist and covering them completely. He reforms standing over where their corpse should be.

Power: A Trick of the Light

The Figure has become a creature of incorporeal mist. His form not quite discernible even as he stands there silently watching his prey. He is able to send forth a wave of shadowy mist in a direction along a long line, shrouding any survivors hit. While survivors are afflicted by his mist, the edge of their screen will display his shadowy influence.

Initially this shroud does nothing. But if a survivor attempts to complete an objective action such as working on a generator, cleansing a totem, or opening a chest then the Figure is able to condense the shadow around them and teleport to their location after a 1.7 second channel time. He is able to cancel this ability part-way through but will still spawn a shadowy duplicate of himself.

Survivors are able to shake off this darkness by shining a flashlight at each other or cleanse themselves by standing under the light of a powered generator for several seconds. When cleansed in this manner, the Figure is given an audio cue of their location. Shrouded survivors remain afflicted for twenty seconds.

Perks:

Silent but Seen:

You prefer to remain elusive but not unknown to your prey. When spotted by a survivor, if you do not enter a chase within the next 15/10/5 seconds you will gain a token. You can hold up to 1/1/2 tokens. The next time you enter a chase all tokens are spent to grant you an immediate level of bloodlust.

Elusive:

You keep your prey guessing, constantly uncertain if you're there or not. While unseen by a survivor, you gain movement speed up to an extra 3/4/5%. This movement speed ends immediately when spotted by a survivor or when a chase begins.

One with the Shadows:

You thrive in the darkness. The fewer generators that are powered, the more powerful you are. At all times, you gain a 5%/10%/15% reduced cooldown on missed strikes. When 1 or fewer generators are powered, you gain a brief 0.5 second glimpse of the nearest survivor's aura every 10 seconds. When 3 or fewer generators are powered you gain an audio cue of the nearest survivor's location every 12 seconds. When all 5 generators are powered, you lose all benefits of this perk.

Add-ons:

A distorted photograph: (Ultra-rare) An unclear, damaged photograph of the Figure to prove his existence. It was lost to time. The Figure is now able to use A Trick of the Light on objects such as vaulting locations, lockers, generators, and chests. Survivors that interact with these objects while they are shrouded grant the Figure an audio cue and are subject to A Trick of the Light's normal effects.

Iridescent Teddy bear: (Ultra-rare) A seemingly ordinary teddy bear, with eyes made of a foggy, glass-like material. A perfect companion. When one survivor is afflicted by A Trick of the Light, all survivors become afflicted by it. When the Figure begins teleporting, all survivors will see a shadowy replica of him appearing regardless of where or if he teleports.

Torn Ribbon: (Very rare): Taken from a girl whose parents wouldn't believe there was a monster in her closet. Struck survivors are now afflicted by A Trick of the Light but cannot be teleported to. Instead, their auras are revealed to the Figure when they interact with objects.

Innocuous Jacket: (Very Rare) Not put away after a day of hard work. Was it always discarded there? Survivors afflicted by A Trick of the Light are now subject to visual hallucinations that resemble the Figure for its duration.

Ripped Blanket: (Rare) When a tug-of-war in the middle of the night ended badly. Moderately increases the duration that survivors are marked with A Trick of the Light. Stacks.

Bent Key: (Rare) No longer fits to the lock it was meant to. But was the lock sealed before the key became unusable? Moderately decreases the teleportation time of A Trick of the Light when teleporting to a marked survivor.

Misplaced Keys: (Uncommon) Aren't these always put by the door? How did they go missing? Considerably decreases the teleportation time of A Trick of the Light when teleporting to a marked survivor.

Missing Sock: (Uncommon) Taken from someone that sleeps with their foot exposed. Considerably increases the duration that survivors are marked with A Trick of the Light. Stacks.

Glass of Water: (Common) Spilled when they discovered they weren't the only ones up so late. Slightly decreases the teleportation time of A Trick of the Light when teleporting to a marked survivor.

Missing Toys: (Common) Taken to make it easier to move around unnoticed in the dark. Slightly increases the time a survivor is marked by A Trick of the Light. Stacks.

Survivor Concept: Cameron Martin

As a child, Cameron was convinced there was something in his closet. Of course, he was reassured that nothing was ever there. Even as he grew older he tried to explain away what he must've seen when he was little. He went to school, moved out, and eventually bought his own house. It was only when he started to see a familiar figure at the end of the hall of his new home that he began to consider the alternative. There really was something there when he was young. But the resurgence of this figure didn't end there. He would swear that it was following him. Watching him from the supply closet at work. Stalking him home as he walked the road back. Waiting for him as he approached his front porch. His mysterious disappearance into the Fog was never explained. No signs of forced entry. No clues to him being followed. Except the broken doorknob to his bedroom closet.

Perks:

Lost in the Dark:

You are experienced at being lost in the darkness. The light only aids in your ability to keep yourself out of danger. You gain 1% movement speed when running and an additional 1% for every powered generator. This perk is inactive while exhausted.

Keen Senses:

You won't be caught off guard by the elusive things in the shadows. And you won't be shaken when they come for you. When you win a chase, briefly see the killer's aura for 0.5/0.75/1 second. When you lose a chase, leave no scratch marks for 2 seconds.

Paranoia:

You're certain something is there, even if no one else believes you. When not in a chase you slowly build up paranoia, giving you a stack at maximum paranoia. You can carry up to 3 stacks. When you enter a chase, spend all stacks. 1 stack spent erases your tracks for 2 seconds. 2 stacks spent erases your tracks for 2 seconds and gives you a brief glimpse of all unused pallet locations within 20 meters for 1 second. 3 stacks spent erases your tracks for 2 seconds, gives you a brief glimpse of all unused pallet locations within 20 meters for 2 second, and gives you a brief burst of 150% movement speed for 2 seconds. This causes exhaustion when 3 stacks are spent. This perk is incompatible with other perks that cause exhaustion.

Comments

• Hendo
    Hendo Member Posts: 94
    Options

I love this - you thought of everything. I am a major fan of the mori! Great job - I applaud you good sir!

• FormulaFinnie
    FormulaFinnie Member Posts: 20
    Options

This is absolutely stunning. It's so well detailed and seems like an actual member of the dead by daylight team made it, I love it. I don't think mine is half as good. It's The Rich if you want to see it.

• ZachWG77
    ZachWG77 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2020
    Options

Tbh I hope this actually gets made into a playable killer. The whole teleport to them when they're doing something thing felt kinda off but it's super good and really well written and detailed. Good job.

• GeneralSpudmuffin
    GeneralSpudmuffin Member Posts: 311
    Options

An amazing concept, I love it! The only change I feel would be nessicary would be some kind of cooldown on Elusive. Maybe 10 seconds or so after you're no longer being spotted?

• Zelosmaijir
    Zelosmaijir Member Posts: 10
    Options

I really like this. I just saw it after posting an idea of my own, which I think from your number tuning, I have significantly over tuned my numbers. Please, share your thoughts on mine if you get the chance.

I actually was thinking the same thing as you when it came to interacting with windows and palettes. I think that would add significant complexity to the game, and also, the way you're going about it really rewards high skill killers. This also seems to have very balanced counterplay for a high skill survivor, and I could see Paranoia being the new sprint burst honestly. Maybe I'm just being overly excited though.

• SneakyPigMain
    SneakyPigMain Member Posts: 35
    Options

Nice.

• rhodamia
    rhodamia Member Posts: 275
    Options

I like a lot. But to play devil's advocate.

Lost in the dark: Way too strong imo. I could loop a killer endlessly with that much movement speed. Perhaps it could be 1% per gen lasting 1/2/3 seconds upon entering a Chase with a 30 sec cooldown or something.

Paranoia: In my opinion this would be MUCH more useful if it occured after escaping a chase! The sprint is fine in a chase but the killer rarely uses scratch marks at the beginning of a chase. I would change it to activate upon escaping a chase. A few seconds of a sprint with no scratch marks would be a solid "get away and hide" perk.

Other than that, great job! Thanks for the contribution and time you put into this.