Question For Those In Favor Of DC Penalties

I have a question for those in favor of disconnect penalties.

What about killing yourself on the hook? By which I mean, getting hooked, attempting escape 3 times to get yourself to the struggle stage, and not struggling, resulting in your immediate demise. You can do that almost as easily as disconnecting as long as the killer actually hooks you, and you get the same, if not a BETTER result than disconnecting, that being getting out of the game prematurely with absolutely no downside, along with a tiny bit of bloodpoints too. Should you not also care about this completely legitimate method to achieve the same goal as disconnecting?

I've seen so many people up in arms over this dcing stuff, yet I have yet to see anyone address killing yourself on hook, when it's basically the same thing but without the downsides. Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong place?

Comments

• blasto
    blasto Member Posts: 41

Obviously the goal should be to try and get all players on both sides to play every match to completion. It’s not a magic bullet but most problems aren’t solved that way.

• Usui
    Usui Member Posts: 531

Sorry nobody finds it fun to sit on the ground bleeding out for 5 minutes.

• DeathBeam
    DeathBeam Member Posts: 259

I don't find it fun either, but I hate it even more when teammates just DC the moment they get downed either early in the match or realizing they are facing against certain killers, perks and addons they dislike.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

It's always better to address major problems than not due to what may happen.

Yes some may resort to suiciding on the hook and if that is shown to become a large issue then the devs can then look at doing something with that mechanic.

• Doomspooge
    Doomspooge Member Posts: 184

That is an absolutely good perk to counter slugging and it also pairs really well with already meta DS

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

You may as well take your Bloodpoints, waste the killer's time and then go. Or stick around and the match might just turn around.

• Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

If you want to suicide on your first hook, fine. You've at least wasted a few more seconds of the Killer's time, rather than DC'ing because they downed you inspite of your pro looping skillz. It's not a lot, but every second counts in a match and the time it takes for the pickup and hook can be the difference between a gen at 95% that's now regressing due to Ruin and a gen being popped.

I personally find it distasteful and disrespectful, but that's online gaming for you. People will play how they want, and if they want to act like a spoiled toddler who doesn't get their sweeite, so be it. At least now they have to put forth some effort to DC. 3 self-unhooks is a lot of M1'ing for the DC abuse crowd. Usually all they do is sprint, vault, and multi-crouch.

• Casto081294
    Casto081294 Member Posts: 10

With 3 immediate hook jumps there is ~11% chance that the player successfully unhooks and buys the rest of the team more time or make the player who jumped off keep trying, if 11% of my games with DC players have a better outcome, I'm happy with it!

• Snow_Lep
    Snow_Lep Member Posts: 305

But if the first hook is later in the game and you are killing yourself to give someone the hatch. The game can't distinguish the two situations really, it would just see "person attempted, then did not struggle".

• th3
    th3 Member Posts: 1,843
    edited February 2020

I think the suicide option on hook is a good way to go

• MichWasHere
    MichWasHere Member Posts: 24

Death by suicide still takes up the killer's time, destroys a hook, gives the killer points, if they run kindred it helps the team as well. Suicides only bother me when it happens just as I arrive to rescue them. If a person immediately tries to escape and goes into struggle then I don't bother with them.

I'm pro-suicide. If someone isn't enjoying the game and doesn't want to play, they can die and it won't necessarily affect all remaining players badly while DCing affects all remaining players badly.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,311

I have no issue with that, at least then they leave the game through gameplay mechanics and the killer gets their emblems, BBQ stack and any other hook-related things like a PGTW charge and such. And it also takes a bit more of the killer's time and consumes a hook.

You can't really force someone to play if they really don't want to. Survivors can suicide on hook, killers can face a wall and go afk.

• Primalux135
    Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045

No killer find funny to end gens in 4 mins. Being slugged at least give u a chance to be up and get more fun or you prefer to be in hook again? Also if DS wouldnt punish killer for do the job pretty well would be other issue but thats another story

• Primalux135
    Primalux135 Member Posts: 1,045

Its a survival game defo tge wiser decision would be to team up but there are always lone wolfs around

• KuromiStarwind
    KuromiStarwind Member Posts: 325

The answer to your question is simple: Just because people can kill themselves on hook does not justify not having the penalty to discourage disconnecting in general. Personally I think that there should be a way to punish people for first hook deaths. At least this way, while it does still punish the survivors, it does not punish the killer.

• Happy2Heal4You
    Happy2Heal4You Member Posts: 119

If a survivor wants to leave a match so badly then you really can’t stop them from doing it no matter what the devs add to the game. I’m fine with them killing them selves on hook since at least with that the killer can still get points out of it. This also gives survivors a chance to go for a hook save before they kill themselves so even survivors can get points out of it.

• switch
    switch Member Posts: 489

If it will become such a huge issue, make it so you can't wiggle on the hook, remove the attempts.

Its not like you wiggle every game, unless you suicide or the last one alive in which you die.

• csax
    csax Member Posts: 9

Ok, but consider this. A player that suicides on hook has still drawn the killer's aggro for at least long enough to get downed and carried to the hook. A player that DC's doesn't get looked for at all in most cases. Now, I also think it's less bad that they DC depending on how many times they've been hooked. Someone that's on my team that's death hook, I don't really care if they DC when they get downed or whatever.

• goat10em
    goat10em Member Posts: 749

I didn't really find a question in this post. But it's like this basically...the DC's don't normally happen at the start of the match. Yes there are survivors and killers who don't want to play a certain map or a survivor that doesn't want to play against a certain killer etc. There is nothing stopping them from eating it on first hook. What it is stopping though is the people quitting because the game isn't going their way. DCing when they are downed the 3rd time, when they are slugged for the 4k etc.

• judge_fist
    judge_fist Member Posts: 114

If I can crawl away and hide from the killer as i bleed to death I take it as a small victory. You get a few less points I get to giggle as I bleed out. I try to find little wins anywhere I can in this game.