Remember when everyone said Oni was a worse Billy?

Yeah, well right now, Deathslinger is looking like a worse Huntress.

... Actually no, scratch that. He’s looking like a worse Demogorgon.

Think about it. Shred:

-Has a large, conal hitbox

-Can be used whenever the Demogorgon likes

-Guaranteed to deal one health state of damage on impact

-Can be used to circumnavigate basic attack rules (AKA Shred the obsession with Save the Best for Last to never lose stacks)

-Breaks pallets and walls on collision

-May or may not suffer a smaller movement speed penalty when channeling Shred, and has a brown addon that lets him move faster than a running Survivor while holding Shred

-Demogorgon can also place portals wherever he likes to teleport around the map

-Demogorgon is also a 115 Killer

Meanwhile, Deathslinger’s harpoon:

-Has a smaller, wonkier hitbox

-Has to reload after every single shot

-Even if you land the shot, you’ll still have to reel them in to hit them, else it was all for nothing

-Can’t pull Survivors back over pallets, making it effectively useless against said pallets

-Deathslinger is also a 110 Killer with no mobility

I’m not saying he’s a BAD Killer; I’m just saying, why would I ever play him over Huntress or Demogorgon right now?

Comments

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    Demogordon_Ramsay Member Posts: 1,503
    edited February 2020

You say that like being a cowboy is a good thing and not a done-to-death trope.

Also as far I can tell the new map is quite large.

• No one said oni was a worse billy.

Everyone was saying the blood orbs were insane tracking tools.

• Todgeweiht
    Todgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

They need to buff the range at which he can reach to survivors with his harpoon, otherwise he just feels like a weird combination of huntress and legion.

• FogLurker
    FogLurker Member Posts: 337
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Same as old Legion. His power is a guarantee hit that places the survivor in the deep wound state. Like Huntress he will have no map presents.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

Deathslinger can down an injured person if he reels them in and hits them.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

Except if walls exist, your odds of the chain snapping are ridiculously high. It also can’t circumnavigate pallets like hatchets can, and it has a limited range, unlike hatchets.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

From the power srceenshot I've saw it states a healthy survivor is placed into the deep wounds state if hit while chained.

• TAG

I'd say "ridiculously high" seems like an exaggeration.

• TAG

Healthy = full health. If it's an injured Survivor, they go down instead.

• ZoneDymo
    ZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946

"everyone" being some unintelligent individuals

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793

I swear it's like people sit around gleefully waiting for things to complain about

• RobMeister88
    RobMeister88 Member Posts: 351

Yeah no. The new survivor perks are literal hand me down dollar versions of better ones.

For The People is Autodidact but with a No Mither complex. We'll Make It is way more useful and Autodidact has no penalty.

Red Herring practically has no mind game potential against killers past rank 10.

Off The Record is also a dollar version of Iron Will.

Hex: Retribution has information, which is always useful, especially on big maps. Paired with Thrill of The Hunt and/or Haunted Grounds can make an early gg for killers, especially with slugging.

Dead Man's Switch on its own doesn't seem to good, but it will have good effect since most people are altruistic hook bombers. Now pair it with Thrilling Tremors and new Ruin, it'll slow gens down rapidly, especially with high mobility killers like Billy.

Gearhead seems like a better version of Surveillance, now pair it with Surveillance and new Ruin, and you'll practically have 24/7 info on every generator being repaired and not repaired.

The new killer himself ain't all that good, probably C or D tier currently but his perks definitely have tons of potential with high mobility killers.

• Babyyy_Boyy
    Babyyy_Boyy Member Posts: 444

Exactly, “If” he reels them in. It seems like the chain can get broken around loops, which most survivors would run too if they know he’s coming, making it difficult unless, his add-ons effect that.

• RobMeister88

Hex perks are good (not all of em, especially Thrill of The Hunt). Old Ruin used to be meta, tell me meta perks aren't good. New Ruin is still good. Haunted Grounds is good, Devour Hope is good. Yes they can be destroyed but that's the point of them being Hexes in the first place they're high risk and high reward. Just because they can be destroyed doesn't mean they aren't good. Retribution doesn't seem to good, it's decent at best. It's way better than the new survivor's perks that's for sure. Dead Man's Switch with Thrilling Tremors and with a high mobility killer are definitely going to have great synergy. Anything that blocks off gens is easily good.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

The thing is, Hexes are too easy to find and destroy to make them good. That’s why nobody runs them aside from NOED; even with such a high reward, the risk is far higher.

New Ruin good? Maybe, if you’re Billy or Oni. As for anyone else? Hell no.

I would much rather run Discordance or Surveillance over either Gearhead or Dead Man’s Switch. Higher consistency and more useful, and one is good for finding people early-game to force off gens.

As for the new Survivor’s Perks: Off the Record is total butt cheeks. Red Herring will take some creativity in how to get it to trick the Killer, but I can definitely see Survivors turning this into an actually good version of Diversion. For the People is perfect for people who are comfortable surviving while injured but still want to heal their team. Plus, imagine the potential if someone gets downed at a pallet or vault. Killer goes into weapon wipe, someone else runs up and hits the downed person with For the People and instantly picks them up old instaheal style. It’s niche, but it certainly has its uses and can easily be made ridiculous.

• TAG

It really depends on how easy it is to break the chain.

• Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

I said that about oni and still think so. A god billy player will always be superior to an oni. What now?

I dont see a reason to play deathslinger over huntress either.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

After extensively maining Oni, I can safely say that his antiloop potential in Blood Fury is vastly superior to Billy’s. By FAR.

As for mobility? I’d say they’re about the same on open maps, but on indoor maps or places with lots of debris, Oni is far more capable of using his sprint for map traversal.

Obviously the need to collect your power will hold you back without the skill of economizing your orbs. But if you do know how to keep your power on a large uptime? Yeah, a good Oni beats out a good Billy by a long shot.

• Hero_awesome
    Hero_awesome Member Posts: 301

Oni is a worse hillbilly no argument even necessary.

• Tactless_Ninja
    Tactless_Ninja Member Posts: 1,791
    edited February 2020

For The People is instantaneous from what I've read. Autodidact needs to build. We'll Make It needs a hook state. And neither can make a bleeding survivor get up instantly.

Red Herring works across the map. Says last gen so that's a large degree of misdirection. Though I can see it backfiring in pubs.

Off The Record is Distortion + Iron Will and works when you need it which is right off of a hook. I don't see the downside to hybrid abilities. And most hookbombers don't have babysitter.

Killer and survivor perks all have potential.

• RobMeister88

Discordance only has information, where as Dead Man's Switch has not only information, but a slowdown effect as well. Stacked with Thrilling Tremors and good gen pressure, and almost all gens will be blocked off for 35 seconds. I agree that Hexes are too easy to be destroyed, but it still doesn't mean they're not better than non hex perks. For The People could be useful but it just makes slugging more easier for killers. I could only see coordinated SWF getting use out of it, but then who's going to protect the person who just used For The People? The person who just got saved can't take a hit unless they're using Styptic Agent, which is rarely used anymore. Autodidact is more useful. Besides, For The People is time wasting if used in the situation you just mentioned, with a huge penalty. It requires the killer being a potato tbh. Two people will be injured, and a killer who slugs will have his job made way easier.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

“Discordance only has information, where as Dead Man's Switch has not only information, but a slowdown effect as well.”

The slowdown effect only triggers when A) you hook your obsession, and B) Survivors stop repairing a generator during the timer’s lifespan. So if you pressure one gen using it but someone else is doing a gen across the map, that’s not a lot of pressure you’re gaining there. And, again, it ONLY activates when hooking 1 out of 4 Survivors. Meanwhile, Discordance only requires one condition, and said condition is much more common than both of DMS’s.

“Stacked with Thrilling Tremors and good gen pressure, and almost all gens will be blocked off for 35 seconds.”

The thing is, if a gen is white because of Tremors, that’s supposed to mean a Survivor isn’t there. But you can easily mindgame Tremors by waiting out the block timer so that the gen turns white, and then the Killer has no way of knowing if someone is there or not, incentivizing them to ignore the gen, meaning you can get back on it and repair it during DMS’s timer. And, of course, Killers can only really pressure one gen at a time. And all it took to drastically hinder this Perk combo was 16 seconds of patience on the Survivor’s part.

“I agree that Hexes are too easy to be destroyed, but it still doesn't mean they're not better than non hex perks.”

Except it does. Not having the incredibly high chance to have your Perk erased completely is a HUGE drawback and exactly why most Hex Perks have such a mediocre use rate.

“For The People could be useful but it just makes slugging more easier for killers.”

... How? It literally removes the need to waste time healing a slug if you’re healthy.

“Besides, For The People is time wasting if used in the situation you just mentioned, with a huge penalty.”

1. Survivor dies at window or vault
    2. Killer is in his weapon wipe animation
    3. Run up to downed Survivor
    4. Press E on your keyboard
    5. Throw down pallet if pallet, run from loop if window
    6. Now both of you are running away and the Killer has to run around a loop or break a pallet to get to you
    7. Time wasting Perk with a huge penalty
  • Endstille
    Endstille Member Posts: 2,246

We can have our "change my mind" thread about that another time. I disagree with all what you've said 😀

Still nothing as to why play cowboy?

• Eye66
    Eye66 Member Posts: 822

The cowboy thing in horror is a subgenre I'm unfair with so I'm excited for that. Otherwise his stats are quite poor, I hope he doesn't turn out as lame as Oni, a sheer downgrade of another killer.

• Demogordon_Ramsay
    edited February 2020

I'm sorry, but Oni has so much potential it's insane. Anyone who can't see it is the only one at fault, not Oni.

As for cowboy... Yeah, just play Huntress. Or Demo if you don't like windups or being 110.

• GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

Considering his Hex works when it, and other, totems get destroyed how is it not even partially useful?

Add on to that that Inner Strength is used often and you'll get some use out of it for sure, especially if you use Thrill of the Hunt and Haunted Ground.

• The Oni is not nearly as annoying as The Hillbilly. Not by a long shot!

He's actually fun to go against, whereas players who use The Hillbilly are just desperate.

• goat10em
    goat10em Member Posts: 749

I mean, I still stand by that. I don't see a reason to play oni over billy. And I don't see a reason why I will ever play deathslinger over huntress.

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047

How Oni has better mobility than Billy when he doesn't get mobility untill 3 gens are popped and you need to constantly refill it with Blood Orbs ?

• Demogordon_Ramsay

I get my mobility before the first gen pops all the time. What are you on about.

As for Blood Orbs, there's a trade secret between us Oni mains. It's called "having more than one Survivor injured at a time".

• Demogordon_Ramsay

Huntress can shut down more loops because her hatchet doesn't break after hitting someone with it. She can also hit Survivors on high ground without needing to drag them down first. She also has unlimited range and doesn't need to reload after every single shot. Her power also isn't completely gassed by pallets with moderate-to-long walls because, again, IT DOESN'T BREAK.

• Marcus

With how messed up matchmaking is I'm not surprised to hear this. But survivors have no excuse to not finish at least 2 gens before you get your power for the first time.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

Listen man, I’m all for Killer buffs as the next guy, but that’s being seriously over dramatic. Unless you get a map like Haddonfun or a place with a pseudo-infinite, Corrupt should easily help you M1 to your power before a gen goes.

• Demogordon_Ramsay

I mean, the hitbox on the projectile is inconsistent and wonky. If you start zigzagging like a madman when you think he’s gonna shoot, chances are he’s gonna miss even if his sights are right on the money.

• Psychobeastz
    Psychobeastz Member Posts: 164

I personally think he is good right now but probably a few adjustments such as his gun. He is very fun to play, but in terms of competitive he is not quite adequate. I have been pulled by him several times and a survivor somehow interferes with the interaction, yeah it makes sense but it means that you get another life instead of being sacked. I think they need to remove the deep wound and just give them a broken status effect when being hit by it for a certain duration of course along with the melee hit when your health is complete. Otherwise if injured you obviously go to the death state. If not this idea since it might be too much or too little then I assume give him the ability to open lockers with the gun (jk lol worth a try). The maps are also a factor that can hinder or boost his game style but eh that is mostly every killer problem. Although I rather wait than jump to conclusions its still the ptb and from the streamers I am seeing they are quite enjoying it more than hating it. I do see your problem however in terms of comparing the killer, but for now lets just wait and test things out.

• SquirrelKnight
    SquirrelKnight Member Posts: 951

It sounds like this wall breaking mechanic is solely to make this guy better, cayse without wallbreaking wouldnt the reelin thing be dumb

• Marcus

Corrupt is really overrated and doesn't do almost anything. And there are a lot of maps with a pseudo infinite, so your point doesn't stand.

• BunnyTheHutt
    BunnyTheHutt Member Posts: 1,773

I find Deathslinger too be 100% more satisfying then Demo or Huntress. Any time I hit a shot it feels so damn good.

• Coder
    Coder Member Posts: 747

"I’m not saying he’s a BAD Killer; I’m just saying, why would I ever play him over Huntress or Demogorgon right now?"

But he's got a new hat.

• xerav
    xerav Member Posts: 392

Deathslinger is a weaker Huntress...

-less range

-everything takes more time

-even if you land a good shot you might get nothing from it

his shots are easier to land vs hatchets (but i dont care about easy) and he can sneak up a bit better but again a myers would do a better job sneaking up...

• The_Daydreamer
    The_Daydreamer Member Posts: 735

Wasn't his Hex Perk supposed to get destroyed for the aura reading ability? I mean combine it with Hex: Hounted Ground and you see all Survivors for 10 seconds while they are exposed for 60 seconds.

You can even go further and combine it with TOTH, so you know on which totem they are and kill them easily on a strong killer.

• kreeper124
    kreeper124 Member Posts: 492

Literally everyone said oni was a worse Billy, and he pretty much still is. He's a Billy where you have to collect fuel to use your chainsaw

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

-Has a smaller, wonkier hitbox

Makes it harder to hit, but not weaker

-Has to reload after every single shot

Does not matter when you hit your shots. As Huntress it does, since you HAVE to reload at lockers, you run out of hatchets

-Even if you land the shot, you’ll still have to reel them in to hit them, else it was all for nothing

They still loose a healthstate, reel is another benefit.

-Deathslinger is also a 110 Killer with no mobility

He better should be

What most people totally forget and what makes him really good when you get good with him.

He has no windup time at all!

Thats the big one, and i already see a lot of complain about that in the future.

• HagIsBestGirl
    HagIsBestGirl Member Posts: 158

I don't know what the exact range is right now, but you got me thinking...what if they cranked the range up and allowed the harpoon to ignore collision on objects under a certain size (Like tree branches, gen poles, etc) only on the -outbound- trip?

So you could potentially get a crossmap chain snipe without being foiled by an errant twig or a bit of garbage. And the survivor wouldn't be auto-screwed because they'd just break away if they weren't afk.

How terrifying would it be as survivor to just get slammed with that harpoon from across the map and start getting dragged away?

Even if you do break away in a few seconds, itd shake things up.