The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why Hex: Ruin Should Be Reverted Back

So, I'm sure that there have probably already been many requests on this already, but hear me out. The soul purpose of Hex: Ruin is to slow generator progress, however, I feel that it no longer accomplishes that. I feel that now it is far too easy to be gen-rushed because of the change.

Survivors can now take advantage of the system. While the Killer is distracted Survivors are able piggyback a Generator until completion. Before, the Perk slowed generator progression enough that it bought the Killer precious time where it was needed. Now, it seems as if that time is wasted unless the Killer guards a generator which seems unfair to both parties.

Furthermore, Survivors can simply jump to another generator if that does happen, applying pressure to the Killer when it should be the other way around. Killer's should be the ones applying pressure to the survivors. Killer's are limited to generator protecting while also focusing on trying to Hook/Kill survivors which consumes enough time. Whereas survivors have numerous chances with multiple Gate Doors, Hatch, and Toolboxes to help them along the way.

Additionally, generator reduction is a saving grace for Killer's and I firmly believe that the updated Perk does not accomplish this. A Killer can only be in one chase at a time; so while they are distracted with one Survivor that opens up the opprtunity for other Survivors to spam a generator that the Killer is desperately trying to regress.

Moreover, some survivors may think that reverting it back would be unfair or perhaps too overpowered, however, you could always cleanse the Hex: Ruin Totem in order to administer balance to the game. Now, it just seems unfair to Killers because of consistent gen-rushing. I don’t know about the rest of the community, but personally I think that Hex: Ruin was fine the way it was and that the change was unnecessary. What do you guys think? Should Hex: Ruin be reverted back?

Comments

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

I think that additional time is needed before it is safe to suggest a revert of the Ruin change. With the release of Chains of Hate toolboxes will be nerfed and with that change generators will progress slower. I know it's not fun to hear or deal with right now, but until at least 2 weeks after Chains of Hate I must advise that the Ruin changes remain in effect.

• trouble2x
    trouble2x Member Posts: 32

I can understand the logic behind your statement, but agree to disagree? Even with a Toolbox Nerf there are still Add-Ons that Survivors can use at their disposal to add to their Toolboxes. Not to mention, that multiple Survivors can work on a generator at a time allowing for faster progression which would only progress faster if multiple have Toolboxes and Add-Ons.

• Peasant
    Peasant Member Posts: 4,104

I understand your concern and it is valid. However, your suggestion to revert the Ruin nerf is based on issues that are present now that may very well no longer exist post patch. This is why I suggest patience. If gen speeds are still and issue after Chains of Hate I'll be right with you in complaining, my friend. Until the release though, we can only wait and see if the problem has already been fixed.

• trouble2x

I suppose I can’t argue with that. Your points aren’t wrong either. Though I still believe that Hex: Ruin should be reverted that’s not to say that waiting to see if it improves is a bad idea. It very well could, as many kinks and concerns alike are ironed out within patches. I personally liked Ruin better how it was and find the perk to have been more quintessential then as opposed to now. However, your view on waiting for closer examination is rational and fair. Time will tell and we shall see. Thank you for your input by the way, it is invaluable as well as appreciated.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Unacceptable thread!

1: Lack of uncivilized people arguing

2: Polite feedback on both sides is appalling

3: Both sides agreeing to an extend with one another

Disgusting, this post needs to be shut down.

• Hanselpup
    Hanselpup Member Posts: 187

Here's a counter argument:

Protect the gen that's being piggy-backed, do you seriously expect one perk alone to win you the game?

• ImMrBloo
    ImMrBloo Member Posts: 23

I have a similar post on the forum regarding this topic however there were aspects of Hex Ruin that were too much for what it was supposed to do.

Most people have it in their heads that it was supposed to "slow the game down just a little bit" because of content creators saying it.

Hex Ruin was supposed to just ruin skill checks.

Imo having the zone be super small and missing to cause regression was too much & getting a greater skill check to give no bonus progression was also too much when combined.

I'm of the opinion for newer players and older players drop the smaller zone but don't allow it to give bonus progression. However, if you have proper perks you'd see the current version of Hex Ruin is absolutely just as powerful to an extent as the previous version was if not more powerful because of its godlike synergy with Surveillance. The combination between these gives complete and total map control when using any mobility based killer like nurse, billy, freddy, spirit, legion, Oni, demogorgon, Etc.

• trouble2x

Perhaps however, what happens when Ruin is cleansed? Then you practically wasted the Perk lost on Surveillance. Sure, you can still use it and it is still valid, however, that was the whole point of using Surveillance in the first place. Now that Ruin is cleansed you feel you could’ve better used your slot an unnecessary risk if you ask me. You say complete and total map control, but I disagree. Your map control may be amplified, yes, but not completely, no. Again, survivors can still take advantage of when one survivor is being chased; serving as a distraction and still finish it. Even if the Killer did camp the generator they could simply go piggyback another generator. Seems like too much strain for the killer when they’re already distracted with chasing and hooking survivors. The soul purpose of the old Ruin was to help slow the game and even split survivors up, forcing them to scatter out in the open which made it easier for killers to find them. It bought them that time that they needed for when getting gen rushed. As said before, survivors have many passes with things like Decisive Strike, Borrowed Time, etc. Ruin served well as a time buyer for killers in that aspect. I see your reasoning and it is rational. However, I feel that Ruin does not provide the same opportunities that it used to in the past which is disappointing. Also, the list of killers you provided are reasonable however, it feels so limited as it’s towards ones that can traverse the map in long strides or quick time frames and only them. Too limited for the killers who do not have that same luxury.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I certainly don't think new Ruin (or as a friend of mine likes to call it, "Hex: Decay") is stronger than it was previously. Having said that, it sounds like part of your problem is you're using it wrong. Ruin in its current iteration is not going to be effective if you camp individual generators to make sure they regress.

A better strategy is to spread yourself out as much as possible, be constantly chasing survivors off generators, so that they will find it difficult to make any meaningful progress before you're forcing them off again, which is most easily accomplished with a high-mobility killer like Nurse, Spirit, Hillbilly or Freddy. Basically, the regression isn't intended to bring a nearly completed generator back down to zero, it's meant to make it difficult for survivors to complete a generator fully because it erases chunks of progress every time they're forced to abandon repairs.

• PigMainClaudette
    PigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Old Hex: Ruin was actually more harmful for the game than it was good or necessary.

As a lot of people have stated in other threads about the perk, it only really affected the lower ranks with it's skill-checks as a majority of higher ranks could consistently hit Great skill-checks. It's also difficult for console players, who have a semi-random chance of actually hitting a Great result. Believe me, I've tried for the This Is Not Happening challenges, and it was wildly inconsistent.

It is also a perk that a lot of killers leaned into to compensate for a lack of skill at the time, myself included until I learnt how to play. I still use it on certain builds, but I also try to share damage and apply pressure through that shared hook state.

Other Hex perks have also become more popular lately since people are not instantly Ruin-hunting at the start of a match. If Ruin were to be reverted, everyone would simply swap back to it, and we'd lose out on perks like Devour Hope.

As for the Surveillance arguments, just no. The perk was good BEFORE the Ruin Rework, but nobody used it correctly. To me, in a vacuum, Surveillance is better than Discordance for a majority of killers. It gives you more information over time about survivor movements and nobody ran it at the time. Yes, you had to physically kick the generator but you kind of want to in order to stop progression. It can also be used for some very spicy baits.

• det0xxp
    det0xxp Member Posts: 121

Them changing ruin is by far the worst nerf killers they've ever done. It's just assinine they did this in the first place.

• nursewannabe
    nursewannabe Member Posts: 1,075

New ruin would be fine if it wasn't a hex perk, as long as it is still cleansable, it is a bad perk